ADVERTISEMENT

Helms Titles

So you see, I CAN throw stones, because along with KU's major infractions, there are a lot of other ridiculous things that have happened on KU's campus that don't make the same splash as a level 1 violation, but are still pretty damn bad. We have talked about them in this thread.

That stuff happens at Kansas and Louisville, but you don't see it happening at most other schools.

Heck, you can't even keep a player from another school from committing a rape while being on campus for all of 5 minutes. There's something in the water over there.
You don’t get it do you? You’ll root your ass off for a football program that sees an arrest every other day, while telling us to be ashamed of a few arrests in basketball. Can’t make it up. 😂

You don’t get it do you? You’ll root your ass off for a football program that sees an arrest every other day, while telling us to be ashamed of a few arrests in basketball. Can’t make it up. 😂
I'm not here defending the UK fb program though. You’re always trying to put a nice white dress on a turd when it comes to KU, but you throw stones at UK for lesser offenses.
You have an excuse for everything that happens at KU and you even get upset if I bring something up more than once.
Just admit it, you're a massive homer who thinks KU and Bill Self do no wrong.

Does Playboy still have a college girl issue?

Forrest-Gump-Jenny-Playboy-prop-1.jpg
I went to high school with a chick named Mellisa Everidge who went on to be in and on the cover of Playboy back in the early 90’s. Should’ve took my shot back then. :mad:

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I'm not here defending the UK fb program though. You’re always trying to put a nice white dress on a turd when it comes to KU, but you throw stones at UK for lesser offenses.
You have an excuse for everything that happens at KU and you even get upset if I bring something up more than once.
Just admit it, you're a massive homer who thinks KU and Bill Self do no wrong.
Nope, wrong again. I don’t hide from anything. I just point out hypocrisy. Of course you’re not talking football here regularly, but you root for them and probably discuss them on football boards. The arrests don’t deter you one bit. Spin, homer, spin!

Nope, wrong again. I don’t hide from anything. I just point out hypocrisy. Of course you’re not talking football here regularly, but you root for them and probably discuss them on football boards. The arrests don’t deter you one bit. Spin, homer, spin!
I cheer for all UK sports, but I rarely jump on the football boards.

As you can see, I don't get along with homers and there is a large portion of the UK fanbase that thinks it's crazy that UK fb isn’t beating the best teams in the SEC, but then they come to the bb board and tell bb fans that losing to Saint Peters is not that big of a deal and we should he okay with it.

There are fans wanting to run stoops out of town for losing to Clemson today, or losing to Bama. It’s crazy, they think UK is a fb school.

See, I call it as I see it, I'm far more critical of UK than rival fans are. You, on the other hand, defend rape, cheating, pellet gun hunts and Chair throwing.

I cheer for all UK sports, but I rarely jump on the football boards.

As you can see, I don't get along with homers and there is a large portion of the UK fanbase that thinks it's crazy that UK fb isn’t beating the best teams in the SEC, but then they come to the bb board and tell bb fans that losing to Saint Peters is not that big of a deal and we should he okay with it.

There are fans wanting to run stoops out of town for losing to Clemson today, or losing to Bama. It’s crazy, they think UK is a fb school.

See, I call it as I see it, I'm far more critical of UK than rival fans are. You, on the other hand, defend rape, cheating, pellet gun hunts and Chair throwing.

You might be willing to call out Rafturds for some of their delusional takes, but on here, you don't budge an inch on anything Kentucky-related, unless it's a dig at Calipari. FFS, you can't even bring yourself to say "okay, there's a decent chance that Hagans was paid." Like any rational person would admit. Open another thread and you're blaming Bill Self for an alleged rape by an Illinois player. If that's calling it like you see it, you might need to get your vision checked. 🤣

I haven't defended any of that stuff you're talking about. When the hell did I say anything that could even be construed as defending rape? You just make shit up, over and over. All I do is point out inaccuracies. I don't defend De Sousa for picking up a chair, but I'm not going to let you lie and say he tried to hit somebody with it. Big difference.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
You might be willing to call out Rafturds for some of their delusional takes, but on here, you don't budge an inch on anything Kentucky-related, unless it's a dig at Calipari. FFS, you can't even bring yourself to say "okay, there's a decent chance that Hagans was paid." Like any rational person would admit. Open another thread and you're blaming Bill Self for an alleged rape by an Illinois player. If that's calling it like you see it, you might need to get your vision checked. 🤣

I haven't defended any of that stuff you're talking about. When the hell did I say anything that could even be construed as defending rape? You just make shit up, over and over. All I do is point out inaccuracies. I don't defend De Sousa for picking up a chair, but I'm not going to let you lie and say he tried to hit somebody with it. Big difference.
Oh, I have no problem saying Hagans could have been paid, I just don't think he was. If he was paid, Pete Thamel and Pat Forde would have set up camp in Lexington, just so they could have another shot to get Cal.

I didn’t say Desousa TRIED to hit someone, I said he was going to. Why the hell else did he pick it up? A coach yelled at him to put it down.

It’s hilarious, you want me to trash UK in conversations with you, but there is no way in hell you would ever say a bad word about KU.

All you would do, is pile on and use everything I say as ammo later on. You do that constantly.

If he was paid, Pete Thamel and Pat Forde would have set up camp in Lexington, just so they could have another shot to get Cal.

Speaking of delusional... 🤣

I didn’t say Desousa TRIED to hit someone, I said he was going to. Why the hell else did he pick it up? A coach yelled at him to put it down.

It’s hilarious, you want me to trash UK in conversations with you, but there is no way in hell you would ever say a bad word about KU.

All you would do, is pile on and use everything I say as ammo later on. You do that constantly.

You did say he tried to hit someone with it. Why pick it up? Never seen someone raise their fist at someone in a rage and then put it down after cooler heads prevailed?

I don't hide from anything related to KU. I've never denied that Self likely knew of payments, even though there's no proof. If it were you, you'd deny deny deny and reference the sworn testimony by the Adidas rep who said that Self didn't know.

Never denied that the Morris situation was a bad look. I even said that I thought Self made a mistake in recruiting him in the first place. Never denied that Bucknell, Bradley, Northern Iowa etc were chokes.

All I've done is point out haters' hypocrisy. Which haters don't like. They want to be able to spread their holier than thou nonsense completely unchecked.

Yeah, but what you do on the court matters and who you play matters too. Some teams match up better with others.

If this was a group of coaches, that would be different, but this was just a bunch of regular dudes and their opinions. It’s fake and that’s not how you determine a champion. They were self appointed voters.

If a team like Vanderbilt, or WASU wanted to display them, fine, but as a blue blood, you can’t hang those.
It would do some of you some good to do research. Most of you are simply guessing, assuming-----and it shows.

Helms Athletic Foundation is grateful to those coaches, sports writers, college news bureau directors, and authorities who provided fact, information and recommendation.
It wasn't just a bunch of dudes. It was some dudes who conducted research, got the opinion and thoughts of writers and coaches, as well as players, to determine a national champion. The founder of Helms, Bill Schroeder, was a sports enthusiast, especially with baseball; His uncle , who played pro baseball, raised him. He(Scroeder) was and is stil considered one of the better "sports minds" around, and was known for his huge sports memorbilla collection; esp that of baseball. Schroeder also used The Dunkel Index, a system created by Dick Dunkel, Dr----who beagan ranking teams in 1928.

He also used a panel of "experts" from around the country....

he Helms Championships are legitimate championships on par with today's NCAA Championships. The Helms committee, made up of a blue ribbon panel of basketball experts, had the best authority to make these choices.

Again----Sccroeder confided with sports writers, coaches, former players----Used results as well from some early tournaments that were held prior to the NCAAT, or the NIT. Then he basically just crunched numbers, etc,etc----And then named a National title. Its not like he was just guessing, with a "bunch of dudes."

Notice that no one’s railing on Borden for defending Helms, yet they lie and say that I do. It’s almost like they care more about agendas than facts. 😆

It would do some of you some good to do research. Most of you are simply guessing, assuming-----and it shows.

Helms Athletic Foundation is grateful to those coaches, sports writers, college news bureau directors, and authorities who provided fact, information and recommendation.
It wasn't just a bunch of dudes. It was some dudes who conducted research, got the opinion and thoughts of writers and coaches, as well as players, to determine a national champion. The founder of Helms, Bill Schroeder, was a sports enthusiast, especially with baseball; His uncle , who played pro baseball, raised him. He(Scroeder) was and is stil considered one of the better "sports minds" around, and was known for his huge sports memorbilla collection; esp that of baseball. Schroeder also used The Dunkel Index, a system created by Dick Dunkel, Dr----who beagan ranking teams in 1928.

he Helms Championships are legitimate championships on par with today's NCAA Championships. The Helms committee, made up of a blue ribbon panel of basketball experts, had the best authority to make these choices.

Again----Sccroeder confided with sports writers, coaches, former players----Used results as well from some early tournaments that were held prior to the NCAAT, or the NIT. Then he basically just crunched numbers, etc,etc----And then named a National title. Its not like he was just guessing, with a "bunch of dudes."
Maybe he should have spent less time consulting with coaches and more time managing his company, maybe it would still be in business.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
Maybe he should have spent less time consulting with coaches and more time managing his company, maybe it would still be in business.
Sure.....Except----Schroeder didn't own the company----Paul Helms did.

Research is your friend.

Paul had very little to do with it----Provided the "bread, more or less. Also, he(Helsm), died in 1957. The company closed in 1969.

Research
I would do more research on it if I cared more, but quite honestly, I just don't care and nothing you have posted about it, makes me feel any different about helms banners. They’re as fake now as they were before you listed facts from your "research" and you constantly throwing the word "research" in my face the way you have been, is a little ****ed up if I'm being honest. There's a way to get your point across without being a dick. I don't believe I have been like that towards you, so I don't get why you feel the need to be like that with me. I dunno, maybe you feel like you have something on this that makes you feel like you’ve got something over on me, but you don't, like I said, you haven't dug anything up on this that is all that earth shattering.

If we didn't have tournaments in 08, 10, 15 and 16 and relied on voting 20 years later.

uNC (08), UK (2010 and 2015) and uNC (2016) would have been handed trophies, bit those teams lost because they had flaws that were revealed when true games were played.

There is no truer way to determine a champion than to decide it on the court, not in a meeting room full of the opinions of a group of people.

I would do more research on it if I cared more, but quite honestly, I just don't care and nothing you have posted about it, makes me feel any different about helms banners. They’re as fake now as they were before you listed facts from your "research" and you constantly throwing the word "research" in my face the way you have been, is a little ****ed up if I'm being honest. There's a way to get your point across without being a dick. I don't believe I have been like that towards you, so I don't get why you feel the need to be like that with me. I dunno, maybe you feel like you have something on this that makes you feel like you’ve got something over on me, but you don't, like I said, you haven't dug anything up on this that is all that earth shattering.

If we didn't have tournaments in 08, 10, 15 and 16 and relied on voting 20 years later.

uNC (08), UK (2010 and 2015) and uNC (2016) would have been handed trophies, bit those teams lost because they had flaws that were revealed when true games were played.

There is no truer way to determine a champion than to decide it on the court, not in a meeting room full of the opinions of a group of people.

That’s fine and all, but do you consider every pre-playoff football title fake? And are those even legit if they only include 4 teams chosen by people and computers?

Btw, why would 2010 UK and 2016 UNC have been named champs?

• Haha
Reactions: AWilli6995

uNC (08), UK (2010 and 2015) and uNC (2016) would have been handed trophies, bit those teams lost because they had flaws that were revealed when true games were plmeeting room full of the opinions of a group of people.

2008 UNC team only flaw was KU in the FF game, The same team with Ed Davis won it all the following year.

Last edited:

Not being a dick. But if you are gonna refute shit, and be so adamant, at least have an understanding. I don't think I've dug up anyting earth shattering either----just shit you didn't know. If I'm gonna make an argument, take a stance, Im gonna give myself a chance by at least kwoing what it is I am talking about. Sorry you took a huge guess, and was wrong.

IF we didn't have a tournament---But we DO. So that argument is irrelevant. And ftr, only 4 times has the Helms title been awarded opposite of the tournament champ. 1939, 1940, 1944 and 1954.

I do not disagree there is no truer way to determine a champion than on the court, OR on the field. If you dispute these titles(Helms), then how can not dispute any CFB title up until the BCS, or even the playoff---Or really, any at all?

Reactions: ExitFlagger
That’s fine and all, but do you consider every pre-playoff football title fake? And are those even legit if they only include 4 teams chosen by people and computers?

Btw, why would 2010 UK and 2016 UNC have been named champs?
Another comparison to football, why do you guys do that? The sports are nothing alike, tgey share zero similarities. Such a weird comparison.

2010 UK znd 2016 uNC were thought to be the best teams those years. But, here we go, you obviously have a different opinion than me. See what I'm talking about? There is no way we could all sit in a room and agree on who we THINK the best teams were in any year, especially if you go back 10, 15, 20 years. Nobody plays the same schedule and transitive properties don't work anyway.

Reactions: RunninRichie
2008 UNC team only flaw was KU in the FF game, The same team with Ed Davis won it all the following year.
They didn't just lose, they got their doors blown off. KU wasn't their only flaw.
They were thought to be the best team by a mile that year.
It’s why you have to play the games.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Not being a dick. But if you are gonna refute shit, and be so adamant, at least have an understanding. I don't think I've dug up anyting earth shattering either----just shit you didn't know. If I'm gonna make an argument, take a stance, Im gonna give myself a chance by at least kwoing what it is I am talking about. Sorry you took a huge guess, and was wrong.

IF we didn't have a tournament---But we DO. So that argument is irrelevant. And ftr, only 4 times has the Helms title been awarded opposite of the tournament champ. 1939, 1940, 1944 and 1954.

I do not disagree there is no truer way to determine a champion than on the court, OR on the field. If you dispute these titles(Helms), then how can not dispute any CFB title up until the BCS, or even the playoff---Or really, any at all?
How many times are you guys going to try to compare college football to college basketball? You might as well compare high school field hockey to the NHL. It’s such a stupid comparison. The 2 sports are nothing alike.

I wasn't wrong about anything. The Helms banners were opinions and whether it's opinions by coaches, or yeast rollers, they're still opinions and I would bet that if the tournament was played those years, the teams they decided were the best, wouldn't win the tournament in most cases.

It’s just a shit way to determine a champion and it was a shit way to do it in college fb too, which is why they currently have a 4 team playoff and are going to a 12 team playoff next year. If the Helms opinionated method worked, they would still be doing it, but they aren't.

You know, I did research this before and I thought the stuff you posted in this reply seemed off and it looks to me like it is wrong. I'm not sure where you got it, but what I have read in two different links, contradics what you posted. It literally says that Schroeder was a committee of 1, selecting champions by himself. I believe the information you posted was about the memorabilia stuff in Helms hall, which was done well after Schroeder decided who each champion was. See the bolded part below. Schroeder, by himself, selected those title winners.

Helms Athletic Foundation - Wikipedia

"The organization became well known for presenting awards and trophies for local, national, and international competition, naming the Southern California Player of the Month and Year, national championships in college basketball and college football, Rose Bowl Player of the Game, Coach of the Year, Pacific Coast football player of the year, and other such awards for athletic achievement. Schroeder described himself in 1967 as a "committee of one" in selecting the championship teams.[7] The organization dedicated Helms Hall in 1948, which housed a museum for sporting artifacts as well as the Helms Hall of Fame."

You know, I did research this before and I thought the stuff you posted in this reply seemed off and it looks to me like it is wrong. I'm not sure where you got it, but what I have read in two different links, contradics what you posted. It literally says that Schroeder was a committee of 1, selecting champions by himself. I believe the information you posted was about the memorabilia stuff in Helms hall, which was done well after Schroeder decided who each champion was. See the bolded part below. Schroeder, by himself, selected those title winners.

Helms Athletic Foundation - Wikipedia

"The organization became well known for presenting awards and trophies for local, national, and international competition, naming the Southern California Player of the Month and Year, national championships in college basketball and college football, Rose Bowl Player of the Game, Coach of the Year, Pacific Coast football player of the year, and other such awards for athletic achievement. Schroeder described himself in 1967 as a "committee of one" in selecting the championship teams.[7] The organization dedicated Helms Hall in 1948, which housed a museum for sporting artifacts as well as the Helms Hall of Fame."
I never said Schroder didn't select the teams----I said he got help. And he did.

Edit: Here is what I said;

I never said Schroder didn't select the teams----I said he got help. And he did.

Edit: Here is what I said;

Yeah, so basically, he just got information and by himself, decided who each champion was. It’s lame as shit and there's no way each coach he talked to, had the same exact opinions. Schroeder, by himself, made the determination.on who each champion was and he did it 30+ years after those seasons were played.

Sorry, but that is a joke.

Yeah, so basically, he just got information and by himself, decided who each champion was. It’s lame as shit and there's no way each coach he talked to, had the same exact opinions. Schroeder, by himself, made the determination.on who each champion was and he did it 30+ years after those seasons were played.

Sorry, but that is a joke.
I doubt each coach had the same opinion either---But TBH, iwasnt there, so I dunno. Could he have done something crazy like, shown a West Coast bias? Possible. Or maybe he went with the consensus here? Even more possible. Eithr way, I applaud the effort. IMO it can be better having one smart guy vote,opposed to 20 dumb ones.

Not sure how its a joke. I guess every CFB national champion up until the past few years, is also a joke? Or at best, very debatable?

Not sure why this has you in such an uproar. Don't worry, UK still has more titles.

BTW, how legit are all those E8's ya'll like to clamor about? Ya know, like when just making the NCAAT was an E8? Ya see, everything can be debated. What makes us the authority on what is legit,and what is not?

I doubt each coach had the same opinion either---But TBH, iwasnt there, so I dunno. Could he have done something crazy like, shown a West Coast bias? Possible. Or maybe he went with the consensus here? Even more possible. Eithr way, I applaud the effort. IMO it can be better having one smart guy vote,opposed to 20 dumb ones.

Not sure how its a joke. I guess every CFB national champion up until the past few years, is also a joke? Or at best, very debatable?

Not sure why this has you in such an uproar. Don't worry, UK still has more titles.

BTW, how legit are all those E8's ya'll like to clamor about? Ya know, like when just making the NCAAT was an E8? Ya see, everything can be debated. What makes us the authority on what is legit,and what is not?
Again, I'm not sure why you keep bringing up football, makes no sense, this is a basketball forum and I'm not supporting the BCS championdhips, but you're acting like I am.

As far as the elite 8's, I'm not sure what you're reaching for there, I don't recall bragging about E8's, but I'll bite and respond with this: every other team in the country had the opportunity to do the same thing, by winning games on the court, it's not like UK was voted to those E8's

On your comment about title count, it never even crossed my mind, my opinion is that a blue blood program hanging Helms banners and counting them as part of their title count, is lame as hell. Nothing less, nothing more.

Another comparison to football, why do you guys do that? The sports are nothing alike, tgey share zero similarities. Such a weird comparison.

Lame stock answer. Why would that matter? We’re talking about naming a champion. We could be talking tiddlywinks and the same concept would apply.

2010 UK znd 2016 uNC were thought to be the best teams those years. But, here we go, you obviously have a different opinion than me. See what I'm talking about? There is no way we could all sit in a room and agree on who we THINK the best teams were in any year, especially if you go back 10, 15, 20 years. Nobody plays the same schedule and transitive properties don't work anyway.

Seems like the teams that were thought to be best would be the overall 1 seeds from those years, no?

Lame stock answer. Why would that matter? We’re talking about naming a champion. We could be talking tiddlywinks and the same concept would apply.

Seems like the teams that were thought to be best would be the overall 1 seeds from those years, no?
Lame stock answer? No, it's the correct, obvious answer. football and basketball are completely different sports and not only that, but literally nobody is saying the BCS, or Helms were legit in fb, so I'm not sure why y'all keep acting like I'm defending it in football and as you can see, the BCS went away for a tournament and now they're going to a 12 team tournament, so thanks for proving my point.

On the overall #1 seeds point in 2010 and 2016, you took the bait and again, proved my point. It doesn't matter who the overall 1 seeds were, it is my OPINION that those were the best teams those years and that’s why opinionated banners are lame as hell.

LOL, for somebody that hates the fact that his school displays helms banners, you sure are working hard to defend them. 🤣

Again, I'm not sure why you keep bringing up football, makes no sense, this is a basketball forum and I'm not supporting the BCS championdhips, but you're acting like I am.

As far as the elite 8's, I'm not sure what you're reaching for there, I don't recall bragging about E8's, but I'll bite and respond with this: every other team in the country had the opportunity to do the same thing, by winning games on the court, it's not like UK was voted to those E8's

Only conference winners were eligible for the NCAA tourney. If you’re in a league with the #1 team in the country, your opportunity isn’t the same as a team from a league filled with mediocre schools.

LOL, for somebody that hates the fact that his school displays helms banners, you sure are working hard to defend them. 🤣
I didn’t say I hated anything. I said I wouldn’t hang them. I’m also not going to apologize for them, just like nobody apologizes for football banners.

Only conference winners were eligible for the NCAA tourney. If you’re in a league with the #1 team in the country, your opportunity isn’t the same as a team from a league filled with mediocre schools.
What's your point? The teams I quoted, were NCAAT, so I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.

I didn’t say I hated anything. I said I wouldn’t hang them. I’m also not going to apologize for them, just like nobody apologizes for football banners.
Okay fine, for someone that disagrees with KU hanging those banners, you sure are worling hard to defend them and you're liking every post that defends them too.
You’re talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Lame stock answer? No, it's the correct, obvious answer. football and basketball are completely different sports and not only that, but literally nobody is saying the BCS, or Helms were legit in fb, so I'm not sure why y'all keep acting like I'm defending it in football and as you can see, the BCS went away for a tournament and now they're going to a 12 team tournament, so thanks for proving my point.

Yep, a stock answer that means nothing. Why would a “fake” title be acceptable in one sport but not another? Especially a sport with such a small sample of games.

Nobody says football titles are legit? LOL. Who says they’re not? Who rants about them like you and Rafturds do about Helms?

On the overall #1 seeds point in 2010 and 2016, you took the bait and again, proved my point. It doesn't matter who the overall 1 seeds were, it is my OPINION that those were the best teams those years and that’s why opinionated banners are lame as hell.
You said those teams would have been handed trophies. That’s wrong. The #1 overall seed would have been handed the trophy.

ADVERTISEMENT