ADVERTISEMENT

Gregg Marshall

I don't know if that is all the way true now...
When he left Winthrop according to him he had multiple offers every year and didn't take a job until the Wichita State job came open.

Pretty much the same thing happened for a 3-4 year period at Wichita State.
Missouri especially did everything they could to get him.
But he said no....

One of the reasons is salary. The second is because of power.

That power is probably the reason he won't be fired.

Probably will be warned.

Lol ok. Nice story

Common sense...

Why would a mid major program like the Shockers pay so much for a coach no one wanted...

Coaches salary is determined by demand.

A MVC and then AAC program won't pay top dollar for a coach unless there was demand.

Demand by agents isn't created by hype and internet rumors.
It is created by actual offers on the table

Except that isn't what happened...

Wichita State put up the money because of the Koch Brothers.

Marshall is paid very well.

Let's not let bullshit cloud things.
Marshall was in demand. Could have taken a few jobs. Didn't because he had a decent job with a lot of power....

Like this isn't enough to fire him
There is a reason it took Marshall 9 years to get a decent job---He was great at Winthrop. 7 NCAAT's in his 9 seasons...Including 4 straight to start his tenure there. His last 3 seasons at WInthrop, he won 27, 23 and then 29 games...He won at a .700 clip...Won 5 conference titles...Beat 6 seeded Notre Dame in the NCAAT....He went 194-84 at Winthrop. As stated, took them to 7 NCAAT in 9 seasons.

His reward?

Wichita State.

Firts four years were meh---No NCAAT...But he did win the NIT in year four. After that---7 straight NCAA's...And a Final FOur. Including the Final FOur, he went 95-15 in a 3 year stretch---Include Year 4, and that record is 121-24. Yet, he remained at WSU...Just like he remained at Wnthrop, with crazy numbers, and success....

Many Power 5 jobs have opened....Jobs that Marshal was interested in. Jobs that he never got. It ain't abut the money....Alabama, Texas, Indiana, etc, etc...can, could and did match such offers. But Marshall remained at WSU, saying---"It would take some craxy offer to get me to leave..." Naaah, Greg, it would take some crazy AD to hire you. I mean don't you find it odd that not one single player has came to the forefront to defend him? Not Van Vleet--or ROn Baker. Two studs off the golden run, era, etc....

Not a peep.

Marshall is a great coach. But its not the $$ or the Koch Brothers that has kept him at WSU.

Reactions: duckboy33
There is a reason it took Marshall 9 years to get a decent job---He was great at Winthrop. 7 NCAAT's in his 9 seasons...Including 4 straight to start his tenure there. His last 3 seasons at WInthrop, he won 27, 23 and then 29 games...He won at a .700 clip...Won 5 conference titles...Beat 6 seeded Notre Dame in the NCAAT....He went 194-84 at Winthrop. As stated, took them to 7 NCAAT in 9 seasons.

His reward?

Wichita State.

Firts four years were meh---No NCAAT...But he did win the NIT in year four. After that---7 straight NCAA's...And a Final FOur. Including the Final FOur, he went 95-15 in a 3 year stretch---Include Year 4, and that record is 121-24. Yet, he remained at WSU...Just like he remained at Wnthrop, with crazy numbers, and success....

Many Power 5 jobs have opened....Jobs that Marshal was interested in. Jobs that he never got. It ain't abut the money....Alabama, Texas, Indiana, etc, etc...can, could and did match such offers. But Marshall remained at WSU, saying---"It would take some craxy offer to get me to leave..." Naaah, Greg, it would take some crazy AD to hire you. I mean don't you find it odd that not one single player has came to the forefront to defend him? Not Van Vleet--or ROn Baker. Two studs off the golden run, era, etc....

Not a peep.

Marshall is a great coach. But its not the $$ or the Koch Brothers that has kept him at WSU.

Sheriff loves to talk out of his ass. It's kind of funny to watch.

It's beyond obvious why he's still at Wichita State. It's not because he turned everyone (besides Texas of course) down.

When you disagree with common sense just goes to show how your mind works...

A program won't pay top salary for a coach unless there was demand

Anyone who understands negotiations especially with college coaches gets this ..
Who is disagreeing with this? Yes there was a demand for Marshall...That is, until the interview ended. This stuff about Marhsall is no secret. His wifes actions certainly are no secret.

You think Marshall turned down an SEC job....A Big 10 job, and a Big 12 job, because of money? No...All three of those schools offer much, much more. Including money.

As great as Greg is----and he is a great coach---his ummmm, "demeanor" and then of course, his drunk, crazy ass wife, is why Greg is at WSU.

Who is disagreeing with this? Yes there was a demand for Marshall...That is, until the interview ended. This stuff about Marhsall is no secret. His wifes actions certainly are no secret.

You think Marshall turned down an SEC job....A Big 10 job, and a Big 12 job, because of money? No...All three of those schools offer much, much more. Including money.

As great as Greg is----and he is a great coach---his ummmm, "demeanor" and then of course, his drunk, crazy ass wife, is why Greg is at WSU.

Is it ..

When did you meet her

This is the problem with the internet. I can create a rumor about someone I never met.

When I worked in the Big South conference. And again when I worked in the MVC....

Also, when have you met her?

Haven't met her so I don't have an opinion..

But according to you Bobby Knight has redeeming qualities but Gregg Marshall doesn't ..

Just weird.

Seems like you want to conform the truth to what you want people to believe

I don't have an opinion of anyone here

But going by what I know...

Coaches do sometimes want different things. According to Gregg Marshall he didn't leave Winthrop because he didn't see a job to his liking

Haven't met her so I don't have an opinion..

But according to you Bobby Knight has redeeming qualities but Gregg Marshall doesn't ..

Just weird.

Seems like you want to conform the truth to what you want people to believe

I don't have an opinion of anyone here

But going by what I know...

Coaches do sometimes want different things. According to Gregg Marshall he didn't leave Winthrop because he didn't see a job to his liking
I never said Greg Marshall didn't have redeeming qualities....Thats not whats being discussed. What is being discussed is, his actions at WSU---and why he is still there. I don't know Greg personaly...I just know him from working his games----Or what has been said, i.e. coaches, reporters, etc, etc..I can tell you, from his actions on the floor, practices, what has been said, isn't surprising.

I'm not conforming anything. I am telling you what I know, through experience, that is backed up by these reports...Seems to me you are the one wanting to "conform the truth", to meet what you want folks to believe.

He stayed at Winthrop b/c he didn't see a job to his liking---Really? Ever been to Winthrop? Ever watched a Big South game? Seen the facilities at a Big South school? If he didn't find a job to his liking, then I dunno what the dude was looking for.

Ask this---name a coach with his success, at a mid-major, that has not moved on....Sans the obvious of Mark Few...

Self at Tulsa....Cal at Memphis...Miller at Dayton...Wade at VCU and Chattanooga....Smart at VCU....Weber at S.Illinois....Pearl at Wisc-Milwaukee....Belein at Richmond....Alford at SW Missouri St...Huggins from Akron to Cincy, from Cincy to KSU/West Va......

I oculd name more---but I am sure you get the point...But who knows, maybe Marshall is like Few, and likes it where he is...But if so, then why insinuate with the right amount, he would leave? Few has never said such.

Except that isn't what happened...

Wichita State put up the money because of the Koch Brothers.

Marshall is paid very well.

Let's not let bullshit cloud things.
Marshall was in demand. Could have taken a few jobs. Didn't because he had a decent job with a lot of power....

Like this isn't enough to fire him
Just so I understand---You are saying he has enough power, that these allegations aren't enough cause to fire him? In todays society?

Yeah, ok. 👍

Reactions: KisteK
Crean was very arrogant. He could be a super nice guy, but he pur his status as IU head coach on a giant pedestal. Weird as **** too. But his practices were as precise as I have ever seen.

I enjoyed his one year as a color commentator for ESPN. I thought he did an excellent job of breaking down the games. Much better than Bilas, IMO. So, makes sense to me that he would have really well run practices.

I enjoyed his one year as a color commentator for ESPN. I thought he did an excellent job of breaking down the games. Much better than Bilas, IMO. So, makes sense to me that he would have really well run practices.
Bro, I thought he was really good as a commentator. I wasn't surprised either, TBH. Like I said---that dude was one detailed oriented mudderfker. His practices were well ran...Confusing as ****, at times---But well ran...Well organized. We worked some IU scrimmages, practices....It was really cool to see how practices were ran. BTW, Crean isn't a bad coach, per say. Just not the coach for Indiana, IMO. Dude knows the game---No doubt. Great at individual workouts...I mean like, really good. His breakdowns were impressive...As were his preparing...On the way home my buddies and I were like---"How is this muther****er not a better coach"?

Reactions: dukedevilz
Same reason why Gregg Marshall never left Wichita State is the same reason he may not be fired...

No matter how much Jeff Goodman wants to push it.

Because one man controls the Shockers basketball program.
One man said he will pay whatever it takes to keep Gregg Marshall.

More than that for the Shockers Charles Koch is 85 years old.
It is his decision. Because Wichita State cannot alienate him.

When you talk about the difference...
Very few of those schools were willing to pay top dollar to keep their coach.

I never said Greg Marshall didn't have redeeming qualities....Thats not whats being discussed. What is being discussed is, his actions at WSU---and why he is still there. I don't know Greg personaly...I just know him from working his games----Or what has been said, i.e. coaches, reporters, etc, etc..I can tell you, from his actions on the floor, practices, what has been said, isn't surprising.

I'm not conforming anything. I am telling you what I know, through experience, that is backed up by these reports...Seems to me you are the one wanting to "conform the truth", to meet what you want folks to believe.

He stayed at Winthrop b/c he didn't see a job to his liking---Really? Ever been to Winthrop? Ever watched a Big South game? Seen the facilities at a Big South school? If he didn't find a job to his liking, then I dunno what the dude was looking for.

Ask this---name a coach with his success, at a mid-major, that has not moved on....Sans the obvious of Mark Few...

Self at Tulsa....Cal at Memphis...Miller at Dayton...Wade at VCU and Chattanooga....Smart at VCU....Weber at S.Illinois....Pearl at Wisc-Milwaukee....Belein at Richmond....Alford at SW Missouri St...Huggins from Akron to Cincy, from Cincy to KSU/West Va......

I oculd name more---but I am sure you get the point...But who knows, maybe Marshall is like Few, and likes it where he is...But if so, then why insinuate with the right amount, he would leave? Few has never said such.

You can look around the AAC...

Huggins left Cincinnati because of other issues.
John Chaney never left Temple.
He actually threaten to kill John Calipari and everyone looked the other way.
Kelvin Sampson could have moved on from Houston but like Wichita State they have one man who is a giant over their athletic department.

Marshall put them in that conference for basketball.

When a mid major joins a major conference things change.

Same reason why Gregg Marshall never left Wichita State is the same reason he may not be fired...

No matter how much Jeff Goodman wants to push it.

Because one man controls the Shockers basketball program.
One man said he will pay whatever it takes to keep Gregg Marshall.

More than that for the Shockers Charles Koch is 85 years old.
It is his decision. Because Wichita State cannot alienate him.

When you talk about the difference...
Very few of those schools were willing to pay top dollar to keep their coach.
Koch is an influence---but he's seemingly more worried about WSU's political views, opposed to who the basketball coach is...Yeah Koch give a shit ton of $$$. But so do others...Like, Wayne Woosley------largest single donation ever----$12 million.

If Koch tried his clout with Ivanka---and stumbled----what makes you think that same clout will work for a god dam n basketball coach?

You can look around the AAC...

Huggins left Cincinnati because of other issues.
John Chaney never left Temple.
He actually threaten to kill John Calipari and everyone looked the other way.
Kelvin Sampson could have moved on from Houston but like Wichita State they have one man who is a giant over their athletic department.

Marshall put them in that conference for basketball.

When a mid major joins a major conference things change.
Why did Huggie leave Akron? I know Huggy left Cincy over some issues.

Coaches like Chaney don't leave their jobs...He built the program. He was there for 27 years...Again though, just an example of very few examples.

Sampson ain't leaving Houston simply b/c a program of higher stature ain't touching that guy, and his baggage. Or past.

Why should I "look around the AAC"? And you are right, when a mid-major joins a major conference, it does change things....Let me know when Wichita State does that..

Power
Money
Family

These usually are the three reasons

But everyone is different ultimately.

Plus each school is different.

Going back to the beginning....

Gregg Marshall wasn't passed up by anyone. He stayed because the Shockers would have done anything to keep him.

You see this by the salary...

Coaches who don't have other opportunities don't make 3.5 million a year.

Let's use an example that some of you can understand.

Your job at McDonald's.....isn't going to pay you more money per hour unless there is another job that pays more and if you are that valuable of an employee.

Because you tell McDonald's that Burger King can pay you $9.00 a hour...
It is on them to make the decision.

But that raise doesn't come unless there is another offer on the table...

Power
Money
Family

These usually are the three reasons

But everyone is different ultimately.

Plus each school is different.

Going back to the beginning....

Gregg Marshall wasn't passed up by anyone. He stayed because the Shockers would have done anything to keep him.

You see this by the salary...

Coaches who don't have other opportunities don't make 3.5 million a year.

Let's use an example that some of you can understand.

Your job at McDonald's.....isn't going to pay you more money per hour unless there is another job that pays more and if you are that valuable of an employee.

Because you tell McDonald's that Burger King can pay you $9.00 a hour...
It is on them to make the decision.

But that raise doesn't come unless there is another offer on the table...
First off, I don't work at McDonald's---But even if I did, what is wrong with that? Its a job.

Secondly, a raise doesn't always come b/c a coach is wanted---it can come b.c of, A) Production, or B) to keep people from coming, or C) Appreciation, and effort to keep you(hopefully)...

N o shit coaches that make $3 mill+ don't have, or wouldn't have, other opportunities...I mean what type of argument is that suppose to be?

For you to argue that schools didn't pass on Marshall, and then chastise others for saying he was, or could have been, using the reasoning of "not knowing" is as hypocritical as it comes...

I mean----how do you know? Isn't your stance full of the same holes as everyone else's?

I do know this---Indiana wanted nadda to do with Marshall. That is a fact.

First off, I don't work at McDonald's---But even if I did, what is wrong with that? Its a job.

Secondly, a raise doesn't always come b/c a coach is wanted---it can come b.c of, A) Production, or B) to keep people from coming, or C) Appreciation, and effort to keep you(hopefully)...

N o shit coaches that make $3 mill+ don't have, or wouldn't have, other opportunities...I mean what type of argument is that suppose to be?

For you to argue that schools didn't pass on Marshall, and then chastise others for saying he was, or could have been, using the reasoning of "not knowing" is as hypocritical as it comes...

I mean----how do you know? Isn't your stance full of the same holes as everyone else's?

I do know this---Indiana wanted nadda to do with Marshall. That is a fact.

Because we are speaking about an AAC program...

One that is paying their coach around 2x higher than the next highest paid coach in the conference.

A school like Wichita State isn't going to pay that much unless there were legit offers on the table

Use your brain. You are capable of critical thinking.

I am not sure about Indiana. But if this is about IU saving face ..
You are wasting your time.

Programs are turned down all the time by coaches at supposed lesser programs.
Just how things are.

We saw last year with Rick Barnes.
What happened to Barnes....
Tennessee gave him a raise. Now he is making about the same as UCLA was going to pay.

But Cincinnati couldn't match it...
Reason why Cronin left. Had nothing to do with UCLA being a better job than Cincinnati.
It was because it was a huge raise for him...If Cincinnati offered him something similar he may have stayed

Because we are speaking about an AAC program...

One that is paying their coach around 2x higher than the next highest paid coach in the conference.

A school like Wichita State isn't going to pay that much unless there were legit offers on the table

Use your brain. You are capable of critical thinking.

I am not sure about Indiana. But if this is about IU saving face ..
You are wasting your time.

Programs are turned down all the time by coaches at supposed lesser programs.
Just how things are.

We saw last year with Rick Barnes.
What happened to Barnes....
Tennessee gave him a raise. Now he is making about the same as UCLA was going to pay.

But Cincinnati couldn't match it...
Reason why Cronin left. Had nothing to do with UCLA being a better job than Cincinnati.
It was because it was a huge raise for him...If Cincinnati offered him something similar he may have stayed
I am sure there were legit offers....I am also sure there were schools that after seeing what WSU paid him(to keep him), coupled with his background, decided to move on. AKA, "passing". You really think money would be an issue for a TX or an IU? C'mon,now...

I mean isn't that plausible?

Use your brain. You too are capable of critical thinking.

Tenn and UCLA is not mid-major to major..Both are P5 conference schools.

Cronin left Cincny because UCLA is a better job...with a better view....a better conference...and better pay. Cincy could have offered him similar, and he was still going. If not, they would have offered more.

Edit: My comments about IU and Greg have nothing to do with "saving face". Even if Greg turned down IU, I'm still happy. Dude is a douche bag...But FTR, Marshall was seen to resemble a guy that coached here a few years ago---Some dude named Knight?? YOu may have heard of him. Indiana powers to be just wantd nadda to do with that...Then the shit with his wife surfaced, and that closed all doors. That is my understanding...I could be wrong.

Not all the time...

Matters the situation.

When you have been someone for 2+ years you are leaving a program with your players.
Most of the time you are walking into a program that hasn't been winning. More than that without your players

Things have changed because more and more players are receiving eligibility a lot faster.

Not looking at names...
It is looking at rosters. You are leaving a better team for a worst one a lot of the time.
Unless of course you put all your eggs into one basket

Gregg Marshall isn't that coach.

A lot of this thread has been shit talking him.
But Marshall has always been loyal to his players and to his job.

Not all the time...

Matters the situation.

When you have been someone for 2+ years you are leaving a program with your players.
Most of the time you are walking into a program that hasn't been winning. More than that without your players

Things have changed because more and more players are receiving eligibility a lot faster.

Not looking at names...
It is looking at rosters. You are leaving a better team for a worst one a lot of the time.
Unless of course you put all your eggs into one basket

Gregg Marshall isn't that coach.

A lot of this thread has been shit talking him.
But Marshall has always been loyal to his players and to his job.
Greg Marshall is being shit talked b/c the shit hes being talked about, is pretty ****ing bad. Being loyal to your kids/job, isn't a pass to do the shit he's being accused of....And just so you know----these accusations are coming from about 20+ former players. And the odd thing? As of now, no single player has come to his defense....

Why is that you think?

Greg Marshall is being shit talked b/c the shit hes being talked about, is pretty ****ing bad. Being loyal to your kids/job, isn't a pass to do the shit he's being accused of....And just so you know----these accusations are coming from about 20+ former players. And the odd thing? As of now, no single player has come to his defense....

Why is that you think?

Not going to get into all of that because my opinion doesn't matter...

I was only commenting on what was said about how Gregg Marshall was being passed up by other schools...

A good coach doesn't look at the names on the front of the jerseys...
They look at the names on the back. Or in IU's case the names on the roster.

So you could have a big name school but if you have a shitty roster a lot of coaches will tell you no...

Unless of course they can walk in and change the roster from Day 1.

Or ones that get a dump truck full of money like Buzz Williams when he left VA Tech for Texas A&M.

Not going to get into all of that because my opinion doesn't matter...

I was only commenting on what was said about how Gregg Marshall was being passed up by other schools...

A good coach doesn't look at the names on the front of the jerseys...
They look at the names on the back. Or in IU's case the names on the roster.

So you could have a big name school but if you have a shitty roster a lot of coaches will tell you no...

Unless of course they can walk in and change the roster from Day 1.

Or ones that get a dump truck full of money like Buzz Williams when he left VA Tech for Texas A&M.
Do you really believe what you just typed? You really think when Marshall took the job at Wichita State in 2007-08, that he looked at the anmes on the back, and said, "Yep, this is the place for me".

Really? I mean in 2006-07, WSU went 17-14. They lost 3 starters off that team. Two thers were Juniors...So he was only gonna have those dudes for one season...You think he saw the names PJ Cousinard, Phillip Thomasson and Matt Brauer and went---"**** yeah----thats my kind of talent"?

Really?

If so, whoa boy was he wrong....Considering WSU went 11-20 in is first season...Then 17-17 in his second...But they did go 25-10 in his third year---So maybe it was the freshman that caught his eye?

Roster has shit to do with taking a job...If it did, John Calipari would have hung up on UK,brother....

There is no way you believe this shit you just typed----Right? You hve to be trolling.

Gregg Marshall has said he owes some of his success to Mark Turegon

Regarding Calipari.
He did bring some of his players he had committed to Kentucky...
I don't know if he would have stayed in Memphis or not but people in the know have said the NCAA had more to do with what happened than anything.
Calipari at Memphis would have received a show cause and been forced back to the NBA.

Sometimes I sympathize for people in these situations because it’s very easy for the details to get contorted and twisted. Mangino, I think, was treated unfairly at KU. I don’t think the perception of him equaled the reality.

But this isn’t one of those cases. Marshall didn’t even have a good reason to be angry in these situations. Attacked a student for parking in his space, punched a player in the back of the head multiple times for committing a semi-hard foul (a player who had come to him and broken down earlier that day because his mom was diagnosed with cancer), choked an assistant coach because a player wasn’t where he was supposed to be.

He’s just a psychopath.

When you disagree with common sense just goes to show how your mind works...

A program won't pay top salary for a coach unless there was demand

Anyone who understands negotiations especially with college coaches gets this ..

Exactly. Charles Koch is writing these checks and , well he j

That power is probably the reason he won't be fired.

Probably will be warned.

I will be surprised if he survives this. I expect there will be some sort of negotiation on resignation the contract language is probably very tricky and will involve lawyers, negotiations, etc.. It's kind of early in all this though - the news broke a few days ago. The accusations are pretty severe, though I haven't read the details thoroughly.

I think he steps away, maybe goes through some sort of rehabilitation process, then hopes to resurface. I think part of what could make that possible would be a mutual parting of ways at WSU as opposed to a big messy dispute.

It could be possible WSU stand by him through all this, but that would surprise me.

EDIT- Will see what internal investigation finds out. Will players backtrack on their stories, etc...

We shall see!

Last edited:
Reactions: KisteK
The Marshall is a tyrant stories have floated around the program for years . I know several former players and a former asst and I had not heard the physical/hands on players stories until this broke

I attended 3-4 house parties w the dude , his staff recruited my son briefly as a walk-on 10 years ago. Fun dude to party with

He's a dick at work , ma y coaches are. But if he put hands on he should be gone

The Marshall is a tyrant stories have floated around the program for years . I know several former players and a former asst and I had not heard the physical/hands on players stories until this broke

I attended 3-4 house parties w the dude , his staff recruited my son briefly as a walk-on 10 years ago. Fun dude to party with

He's a dick at work , ma y coaches are. But if he put hands on he should be gone
He had the same issues at Winthrop....THink about this: He won 70%of his games there....Went to 7 NCAAT in 9 seasons....All the while there were openings at Clemson, NC State, Wake, UVA and GaTech. Yet only one school showed interest----NC State.

Why?

Easy---The rumors that have caught up with today, are the same rumors that was circulating while he was at Winthrop.

He had the same issues at Winthrop....THink about this: He won 70%of his games there....Went to 7 NCAAT in 9 seasons....All the while there were openings at Clemson, NC State, Wake, UVA and GaTech. Yet only one school showed interest----NC State.

Why?

Easy---The rumors that have caught up with today, are the same rumors that was circulating while he was at Winthrop.

I'm also acquainted w one of the nicest basketball families you'd ever want to meet , oldest boy played for Marshall , then stayed on as a grad asst , and now their youngest son is on the roster

doesn't scream tyrant

I'm also well acquainted w one of the nicest basketball families you'd ever want to meet , oldest boy played for Marshall , then stayed on as a grad asst , and now their youngest son is on the roster

doesn't scream tyrant
I worked in the Big South----Huge dick. He might be a great husband, friend, etc, etc...I dunno. And I'm sure he is fun to party with, i.e. HIS WIFE. Shes a nutcase. Some of the stuff we saw on the floor, how he talked to his kids, etc, etc.....wasn't the best. But hey, that'scoaching. What's not coaching is the allegations..And from his actions on the court, and now this? I mean we aren't talking about some guys---We are talking about 20+. And kids who played a ton. And I mean, where is Ron Baker? Van Vleet?Why aren't these two guys defending him?

ADVERTISEMENT