Natural Born Killers
From Dusk Till Dawn
Desperado
Kill Bill Series
Hateful Eight
Grindhouse
Sin City

And call it a night.
But, I prefer marijuana to acid, so that's prob where we differ.
Boo yah...killer list! Acid left scars, pot makes me paranoid now. Just the thought gives me shakes.

Reactions: KisteK
Yep, and there was time when everything Scorsese touched turned to gold. But, that time ended over a decade ago. The last 15 years of his career have been spotty compared to the early part of his career.

Also I wouldn't put Wolf of Wall Street or Gangs of NY anywhere near those other movies you listed.
He won his only Oscar for directing during these last 15 years. He's 75 now, too. What do you expect?

(Mean Streets deserves a mention, too.)

1. William Wyler
2. John Ford
3. Frank Capra

A distant fourth, I would go with Clint Eastwood or Billy Wilder.

I love Horror movies so it’s Stephen King for me! He’s done a list of classics such as...

The Goonies
Pet Sematary
Stand By Me
The Green Mile
Shawshank Redemption
IT

Dude is awesome!

Christopher Nolan is bad ass too!

King didn't direct any of those. He wrote the books or short stories they were based on, sometimes very loosely based on. He didn't have anything to do with The Goonies. He wrote a few screenplays as well (Storm of the Century was very good). He also has been involved with some absolutely disastrous adaptations of some of his work.

The rule with King is pretty consistent. If he has anything to do with it the film isn't very good. If he lets the director and producers run with it it has a much better chance of being successful.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I meant to say “The Shining” idk why I said the Goonies. Goonies was Spielberg.

The Shining is a good example. King still didn't direct it though. King hated it because it was so different from the book (which is was in a number of critical ways). I thought it was brilliant. Kubrick knew what it took to make it work for cinema. I'm a King nerd (and used to be a collector of his 1st editions) and have read all his stuff. He is my favorite writer by a lot. Just needs to stay far away from his work when it comes to putting it on the screen.

For the Kubrick fans you should watch Room 237. It's about Kubrick and not directed by him. It goes into his details.

King didn't direct any of those. He wrote the books or short stories they were based on, sometimes very loosely based on. He didn't have anything to do with The Goonies. He wrote a few screenplays as well (Storm of the Century was very good). He also has been involved with some absolutely disastrous adaptations of some of his work.

The rule with King is pretty consistent. If he has anything to do with it the film isn't very good. If he lets the director and producers run with it it has a much better chance of being successful.
I don’t know about that. He played a pretty good dead guy in Stand by Me.

I don’t know about that. He played a pretty good dead guy in Stand by Me.

Yeah, he has had some cameos in some of his flicks. I always enjoy that. I just want his input limited to zero, lol.

Reactions: schoonerwest
True but I’d think the vast majority of people would have at least 1 of the Batman movies in their top 5 Nolan movies.

Yeah, well, a shitload of people line up for the latest Michael Bay movie too.

I'd be fine with dropping one of them in front of Prestige, maybe, but not the other four. Those are works of art. The Batmans are just solid action movies.

I'd be fine with dropping one of them in front of Prestige, maybe, but not the other four. Those are works of art. The Batmans are just solid action movies.

Yeah, just “solid”

The Batman movies are just ok to me. I have noticed that guys in their late 20’s seem to think The Dark Knight is good enough to be considered one of the top 100 films of all time, some seem to think even the top 10. It’s not even a top 100 film of its own decade. You’re right. They’re just solid action movies.

The Batman movies are just ok to me. I have noticed that guys in their late 20’s seem to think The Dark Knight is good enough to be considered one of the top 100 films of all time, some seem to think even the top 10. It’s not even a top 100 film of its own decade. You’re right. They’re just solid action movies.

There isn't a superhero movie that I'd rank among the best films ever. Well, possibly Watchmen. It's fantastic.

I'm harsher on comic book flicks than many having grown up a comic lover. It's especially hard for me to enjoy a Spider-Man pic. None of the TV series or movies have come close to capturing what made the comics great. Although Raimi's first two were decent for what they were.

Last edited:

Lol at not top 100

Lol at not top 100
It may be. I don’t know know. I just think it’s a solid movie and that’s it. It’s not some masterpiece that will be revered by movie critics until the end of time. The only people who seem to really love it are ones around your age. Lol

It may be. I don’t know know. I just think it’s a solid movie and that’s it. It’s not some masterpiece that will be revered by movie critics until the end of time. The only people who seem to really love it are ones around your age. Lol

It's a classic and I think that it's placed in history will be strong given Ledger's transformation in his role and subsequent death. The movie is amazing even outside of Ledger's performance but his acting really made that movie special.

I don't think IMDB is the be-all-end-all by any means, but have a quick look-over this list. It's a very solid list. Every movie in the top 25 is a classic (even if I hate it IE. Forest Gump). The Dark Knight cracking the top 5 on a list like that is impressive.

https://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nv_mv_250_6

It's a classic and I think that it's placed in history will be strong given Ledger's transformation in his role and subsequent death. The movie is amazing even outside of Ledger's performance but his acting really made that movie special.

I don't think IMDB is the be-all-end-all by any means, but have a quick look-over this list. It's a very solid list. Every movie in the top 25 is a classic (even if I hate it IE. Forest Gump). The Dark Knight cracking the top 5 on a list like that is impressive.

https://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=nv_mv_250_6
We’re all sports fans here so we all like to rank stuff that probably shouldn’t be ranked (music, tv, movies). Where would you personally rank it all time?

We’re all sports fans here so we all like to rank stuff that probably shouldn’t be ranked (music, tv, movies). Where would you personally rank it all time?

For me? It's one of my top 10 favorite movies for sure.

Slumdog Millionaire
Saving Private Ryan
The Dark Knight
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Gladiator
Braveheart
Good Will Hunting
The Boondock Saints
Shooter

Seriously? We are talking about Batman? Eh. None of them were that good.

For me? It's one of my top 10 favorite movies for sure.

Slumdog Millionaire
Saving Private Ryan
The Dark Knight
Gladiator
Braveheart
Good Will Hunting
The Boondock Saints
Shooter

Everyone has different tastes though. You have one movie in your top 10 that would be in my top 10. Tough to qualify taste.

And I’ve never understood the fascination w Boondock Saints. Think the ending kind of ruined it for me as I recall. Have zero desire to ever watch it again.

Seriously? We are talking about Batman? Eh. None of them were that good.
Everyone has different tastes though. You have one movie in your top 10 that would be in my top 10. Tough to qualify taste.

And I’ve never understood the fascination w Boondock Saints. Think the ending kind of ruined it for me as I recall. Have zero desire to ever watch it again.
You're talking to someone who apparently doesn't know movies existed before the '90s.

You're talking to someone who apparently doesn't know movies existed before the '90s.

Me? Or 829? I clearly missed some stuff because of ignore, but from the gist of it... Batman as a top film ever? That's straight ******ed. Batman in the same class as The Godfather or Jaws or Saving Private Ryan or Shawshank or Pulp Fiction or... well, you could name any number of movies better. Ledger was great, but that's about it... christ, every time Bale opened his mouth with that ridiculous "Batman voice" I cringed.

Well, I’m not sure how many I would have on my list pre-1980ish. Most of us will like movies from our lifetime, similar to music.

Oh Jesus, okay, I felt bad chiming in without a full understanding, so I checked it out... That's just Hails FAVORITE movies, not best movies, right...? Favorites... everyone has their own favorites. Best... clearly not. Saving Private Ryan is the only film in that list that was really great (although it's been a long time since I've seen Slumdog, maybe I am not remembering it well enough).

Reactions: Dattier
Me? Or 829? I clearly missed some stuff because of ignore, but from the gist of it... Batman as a top film ever? That's straight ******ed. Batman in the same class as The Godfather or Jaws or Saving Private Ryan or Shawshank or Pulp Fiction or... well, you could name any number of movies better. Ledger was great, but that's about it... christ, every time Bale opened his mouth with that ridiculous "Batman voice" I cringed.
He was talking to Hail, I believe.
You just mentioned 3-4 of my top 10.

He’s talking about hail. This was his top 10 movies list. Not necessarily what he thinks would be considered the top 10. Just his personal.

Slumdog Millionaire
Saving Private Ryan
The Dark Knight
Gladiator
Braveheart
Good Will Hunting
The Boondock Saints
Shooter

Yep, I saw what it was in reference to.

Best movies? That's hard as hell:(

Yeah definitely. But even if I don’t like a movie I understand when the masses think it’s great. I don’t like forest gump at all (in fact you couldn’t pay me to watch it from start to finish again) but understand that it’s still a classic. I think people aren’t giving The Dark Knight due credit even if to them it was just an okay movie.

Yeah definitely. But even if I don’t like a movie I understand when the masses think it’s great. I don’t like forest gump at all (in fact you couldn’t pay me to watch it from start to finish again) but understand that it’s still a classic. I think people aren’t giving The Dark Knight due credit even if to them it was just an okay movie.
Here’s a list of the top 100 movies of the 21st century from BBC. They asked 177 film critics from around the world. The Dark Knight is 33rd so my claim was off but this is gonna be much more accurate than IMDB.

They did a similar ranking the year before of top 100 movies of all time and only 6 made after 2000 made the list. It’s all subjective but from most things I’ve read in the past The Dark Knight won’t ever be considered some cinematic masterpiece. Instead it’s just considered really good for what it is.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160819-the-21st-centurys-100-greatest-films

Here’s a list of the top 100 movies of the 21st century from BBC. They asked 177 film critics from around the world. The Dark Knight is 33rd so my claim was off but this is gonna be much more accurate than IMDB.

They did a similar ranking the year before of top 100 movies of all time and only 6 made after 2000 made the list. It’s all subjective but from most things I’ve read in the past The Dark Knight won’t ever be considered some cinematic masterpiece. Instead it’s just considered really good for what it is.

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160819-the-21st-centurys-100-greatest-films

That list is shit. Sorry, but man there’s barely a movie on there in the top 50 (didn’t look past that) that I like. Just an awful list.

Michael Keaton is the real Batman. He also can act circles around Christian Bale.

That list is shit. Sorry, but man there’s barely a movie on there in the top 50 (didn’t look past that) that I like. Just an awful list.
Well, it was done by “experts”. They usually do rank a bunch of movies pretty highly that most people never saw or cared for. The ones that I recognize and saw I thought were pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT