ADVERTISEMENT

For as much crap as he's taken...

ExitFlagger

May 2, 2015
Team
Kansas
Has any CBB coach been better than Self since he was hired at KU ('04)?

K has the same number of titles, but fewer tourney wins and missed the tourney once. Jay Wright has two titles, but way fewer tourney wins I believe. Also missed the tourney a few times.

Roy has a good argument with 3 titles, although he wasn't as consistent and was 0-3 head to head.

(And yes, we needed another KU homer thread)

• Haha
Reactions: KisteK
In 2004 UK's All time wins lead was seemingly insurmountable . KU is now the all time win leader.

14 conference titles in a row.
16 titles in 18 years.
2 Titles
4 Final fours
9 Elite Eights
9 conference tourney championships
Never lower than a 4 seed
9 #1 Seeds
11 30 win seasons
5 25+ win seasons not including 30 win seasons.
Every season at least 22 wins.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
In 2004 UK's All time wins lead was seemingly insurmountable . KU is now the all time win leader.

14 conference titles in a row.
16 titles in 18 years.
2 Titles
4 Final fours
9 Elite Eights
9 conference tourney championships
Never lower than a 4 seed
9 #1 Seeds
11 30 win seasons
5 25+ win seasons not including 30 win seasons.
Every season at least 22 wins.
All while the b13 seemingly got better and better as well imo, more top end teams at least.

Has any CBB coach been better than Self since he was hired at KU ('04)?

K has the same number of titles, but fewer tourney wins and missed the tourney once. Jay Wright has two titles, but way fewer tourney wins I believe. Also missed the tourney a few times.

Roy has a good argument with 3 titles, although he wasn't as consistent and was 0-3 head to head.

(And yes, we needed another KU homer thread)

Aside from the head to head Roy was better. Played in 4 championship games, won 3 of those and went led UNC to back to back title games.

Reactions: Ticket2ride06
Aside from the head to head Roy was better. Played in 4 championship games, won 3 of those and went led UNC to back to back title games.
Debatable. They both finished AP #1 three times. The 2020 team would have had the best chance to win it all of any team Self's ever had. He also ended Roy's season three times in three tries.

Self's never been lower than a 4 seed, and only 3 times. Roy was a 4 or worse 6 times, including a losing season and missing the tourney twice.

Roy has a pretty good argument, but he shouldn't automatically be placed at the top because of an edge in titles. I doubt you consider UCLA a better program than UNC despite having almost twice as many championships.

Debatable. They both finished AP #1 three times. The 2020 team would have had the best chance to win it all of any team Self's ever had. He also ended Roy's season three times in three tries.

Self's never been lower than a 4 seed, and only 3 times. Roy was a 4 or worse 6 times, including a losing season and missing the tourney twice.

Roy has a pretty good argument, but he shouldn't automatically be placed at the top because of an edge in titles. I doubt you consider UCLA a better program than UNC despite having almost twice as many championships.

Had KU not won this year would you had asked this question?

The 2020 KU team falls in the what if argument and as you know we all can play that card. You know the tournament is a crap shoot and crazy shit happens. UNC fans and KU fans can attest to that.

The 2020 KU team falls in the what if argument and as you know we all can play that card. You know the tournament is a crap shoot and crazy shit happens. UNC fans and KU fans can attest to that.

Everyone has what ifs, but no one else had the prohibitive favorite leading up to a cancelled tourney.

It’s not a championship, but it shouldn’t be viewed as just another season either. They accomplished everything they possibly could, short of going undefeated.

Reactions: GhostOf301
He managed to tie UConn in titles so he deserves some credit, winning title isn't easy to do at Kansas.

• Angry
Reactions: ThePhog08
When HCBS wins his 3rd title he waxes Roy on all time coaches list. NIT roy can gtfo

For shits and giggles, here are the tourney win totals for notable coaches in that timeframe:

Self - 45
Roy - 45
Calipari - 45
K - 42
Wright - 36
Izzo - 35
Few - 33
Boeheim/Barnes - 23
Painter/Sean Miller - 19
Drew - 18
Huggins/Bennett/Pearl - 17
Altman - 15
Cronin/Jamie Dixon - 14
Sampson/Larranaga - 12
Hamilton - 11
McCaffery - 6 🤣

Interesting to see a three-way tie at the top.

Pitino finished higher than a bunch of these guys (28) despite leaving Louisville 5 years ago. Same with Thad Matta (22). Calhoun won 21 games in only 9 years.

I'm not sure what I said that was wrong.
Oh, nothing, I suppose. But how effing hard must it be to win at Indiana? By my count, KU 's won 3 titles since IU's last. Hell, they've only been to the Elite 8 three times since then. 🤣

Speaking of UNC, prob preseason number 1 next year - can you imagine if they win the natty ? Will be 2 seasons as head coach for Davis , 2 final fours and a title - imagine the trajectory for his head coaching career !

Reactions: KisteK
Imagine everything about your program that is great(Dean Smith-MJ-Roy) is thanks to the real greatest program ever. Could not

Imagine everything about your program that is great(Dean Smith-MJ-Roy) is thanks to the real greatest program ever. Could not

Trying to make your argument through other programs success makes you look insecure. UK and UNC fans know KU’s history when it comes to the coaches and trust me, it’s all good. I think it’s safe to say you would never see UNC and UK fans living through other schools success.

Oh, nothing, I suppose. But how effing hard must it be to win at Indiana? By my count, KU 's won 3 titles since IU's last. Hell, they've only been to the Elite 8 three times since then. 🤣
Terrible hires do that.

Zfg to any "branch university" as long as they have less success vs Kansas

Do you, Boo

ADVERTISEMENT