ADVERTISEMENT

Flopping

coryfly

Aug 7, 2007
It's out of control. The emphasis is supposed to be on calling technicals to stop them but instead officials this year are just rewarded guys left and right for flopping all over the court. It's worse than ever.

It's out of control. The emphasis is supposed to be on calling technicals to stop them but instead officials this year are just rewarded guys left and right for flopping all over the court. It's worse than ever.
I think making the penalty a technical will make it worse...Never, ever should have done that. TBF, I have seen A LOT of tech's for flopping handed out-----But man, that rule change is gonna keep some from calling it. Its a judgement call......And now a judgement call is a tech.

Blame the rule change. Its terrible. Out of the 20-25 officials I talk too, NOT ONE likes it, or was for it.

I think it has made it worse for sure. They seem unwilling to call the tech so just call a charge instead. Why not just let it go and call nothing? Some of these charge calls even on the primary defender are just absurd. Barely any contact and the dude slams himself down. Just don't call anything.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
I saw them T up a guy in a game yesterday that kicked his legs out and fell down trying to act like he got fouled shooting a 3. It was funny. That nonsense needs to end so I understand why they implemented the tech but they should just make it a personal foul.

I saw them T up a guy in a game yesterday that kicked his legs out and fell down trying to act like he got fouled shooting a 3. It was funny. That nonsense needs to end so I understand why they implemented the tech but they should just make it a personal foul.
They'd probably call the shit out it if it was just a personal.

I think it has made it worse for sure. They seem unwilling to call the tech so just call a charge instead. Why not just let it go and call nothing? Some of these charge calls even on the primary defender are just absurd. Barely any contact and the dude slams himself down. Just don't call anything.
I think the crew in the Bama/Uconn game have been great...

My approach? If I think you flopped---I call a personal foul/block. That hurts more as it counts as a personal foul....Then I will tell you---"Do that shit again, and I'm gonna whack you(tech). IMO that has more of an effect, and acts more as a deterrent.

IMO the flop should be a delay of game warning for first offense....Delay of game has a ton of reach....Next delay of game of any kind, including a flop, is a Tech.

Also if they wanna make it a tech, make it a Class A(unsprting), where it counts toward team and player fouls....

I think the crew in the Bama/Uconn game have been great...

My approach? If I think you flopped---I call a personal foul/block. That hurts more as it counts as a personal foul....Then I will tell you---"Do that shit again, and I'm gonna whack you(tech). IMO that has more of an effect, and acts more as a deterrent.

The first foul they called agianst the UConn big man before the half was embarrassing. It was a flop. There wasn't enough contact for anyone to fall down.

IMO the flop should be a delay of game warning for first offense....Delay of game has a ton of reach....Next delay of game of any kind, including a flop, is a Tech.

Also if they wanna make it a tech, make it a Class A(unsprting), where it counts toward team and player fouls....
Yeah, the class B crap is what makes it stupid. If it actually counted as a personal/team foul that would put a pretty quick end to the shenanigans because most coaches wouldn't put up with it if it really started to hurt their teams.

The first foul they called agianst the UConn big man before the half was embarrassing. It was a flop. There wasn't enough contact for anyone to fall down.
I didn't see it....But I will say this----Its not ALWAYS as easy as it seems. Especially when you have 6'7" 230 vs 6'3" 200....These dudes are strong....And just b/c a dude is big, doesn't mean he is strong...Then have to take into account of balance....etc,etc...

Big flops stick out, for sure....But its those tweeners that can be tough. For me, I left the "tweeners" alone, and if I felt he flopped, I just called a block...

Had a HS game the other night----Kid never gets hit, and falls to the floor----BANG----I call a block. Coach says, "Krice, how is that a foul---there was no contact...."----SO I asked----"Then Mike why did your kid fall down"?

Crickets. He knew where the conversation was headed.... ;)

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I didn't see it....But I will say this----Its not ALWAYS as easy as it seems. Especially when you have 6'7" 230 vs 6'3" 200....These dudes are strong....And just b/c a dude is big, doesn't mean he is strong...Then have to take into account of balance....etc,etc...

Big flops stick out, for sure....But its those tweeners that can be tough. For me, I left the "tweeners" alone, and if I felt he flopped, I just called a block...

Had a HS game the other night----Kid never gets hit, and falls to the floor----BANG----I call a block. Coach says, "Krice, how is that a foul---there was no contact...."----SO I asked----"Then Mike why did your kid fall down"?

Crickets. He knew where the conversation was headed.... ;)

I agree it's not as easy as it seems. So ALWAY err on the side of not rewarding the guy who throws himself down on the ground. But it seems that today they always err on the side of rewarding the flop. Err on the side of no foul IMO. I don't see any way to argue that is the way it is called in today's game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT