ADVERTISEMENT

Everything okay in Lexington??

I’m pretty confused on why the great developer hasn’t used any of his secret drills or advice with Whitney. I thought he’d be a beast based on HS ranking combined with Cal being the best player development coach in history.

Maxey says hi, So does Nick

I think Calipari likes a tight rotation so it's real hard to get a high end FR for any team to come in and give quality in short minutes off a bench, or maybe in a lesser role as a starter without having ball in their hands. It's real difficult to play through mistakes in short playing time and/or away from the ball. Guys are used to having the ball in their hands in HS, just a massive adjustment.

Maybe practice is the "try-out" to see who is going to get those heavy minutes/larger role. If a player doesn't "make that cut" they can stick around as some do or move on as others do. You see this at a lot of places, not just UK. It's just more amplified with top recruits but a lot of teams have transfers and players disappointed in their role.

I don't know. I only had one high school coach.

But to argue that Cal is the same as all coaches is not correct. Cal has a better track record of getting young men into the NBA than any other coach. Of course they all had talent; however, North Carolina and Duke and Kansas have had as much talent as Kentucky the last ten years. Why are the results different?

Sports are good for young men as you learn important life lesson by playing. You learn how to win and how to lose. Most folks hate losing more than they love winning. Losing always motivated me more than winning.

I think that Cal "develops" his players quicker than most coaches. The best three coaches at development were Bob Knight of IU, Joe Hall of Kentucky and Al McGuire of Marquette. That was a different era before one and done. In fact high school players could go straight to the pros. Joe Hall lost two to the NBA in one recruiting class. Poodles Willoughby was one of the two. So the war with keeping talent in college is not new.

On developing talent: in 1987 I don't think that there is any other coach other than Knight who could have won a title with that talent that IU had. Also along the same lines, I don't think that any coach other than Tubby Smith could have won a title in 1998 with Kentucky's talent.

U don’t think Pitino could have won in 1998 with that team, practically his team. After he won one what a year or two earlier with many of the same players?

Maxey says hi, So does Nick

Great comparison. Maxey dropped 26 in his first college game, so it only took cal what 6-8 weeks to “develop” him but it took him 2.5 years to develop richards? When they were both cream of the crop burger boys.

For the tenth time I’m not saying cal doesn’t develop players, I’m saying every single coach develops players, heck Bert’s high school coach developed players, so cal doesnt have a monopoly on it.

And Green and Whitney and EJ among others say hi. It’s not an exact science. Cal is very good at it, but he isn’t the only one.

U don’t think Pitino could have won in 1998 with that team, practically his team. After he won one what a year or two earlier with many of the same players?
No, not even close.

Sure they were Pitino's recruits, but Pitino needs a lot of talent to win a title. His one title was with maybe one of the best teams in my life time.

Tubby cobbled together the left overs and won. In fact Sheppard had a high ankle sprain and missed a couple post season games and Tubby still won.

Kentucky was a 2 seed and Duke, Arizona, Kansas and UNC were 1 seeds, with Duke in Kentucky region. Kentucky came back from a 17 point deficit in the last quarter of the Duke game to win. Tubby's coaching regiment fit that team perfectly.

Reactions: jamo0001
Great comparison. Maxey dropped 26 in his first college game, so it only took cal what 6-8 weeks to “develop” him but it took him 2.5 years to develop richards? When they were both cream of the crop burger boys.

For the tenth time I’m not saying cal doesn’t develop players, I’m saying every single coach develops players, heck Bert’s high school coach developed players, so cal doesnt have a monopoly on it.

And Green and Whitney and EJ among others say hi. It’s not an exact science. Cal is very good at it, but he isn’t the only one.

That's fair

No, not even close.

Sure they were Pitino's recruits, but Pitino needs a lot of talent to win a title. His one title was with maybe one of the best teams in my life time.

Tubby cobbled together the left overs and won. In fact Sheppard had a high ankle sprain and missed a couple post season games and Tubby still won.

Kentucky was a 2 seed and Duke, Arizona, Kansas and UNC were 1 seeds, with Duke in Kentucky region. Kentucky came back from a 17 point deficit in the last quarter of the Duke game to win. Tubby's coaching regiment fit that team perfectly.

Pitino’s one title lol, must be proud of urself for sneaking that in. In his second title he only had two players, gorgi dieng and Montrez Harrell (off the bench), play in the nba long enough to get a cup of coffee.

Cal is the coach ur thinking of that needs more talent than his oposition to win, and he even mucks it up more times than not. I’d say he’s 1 for 3 in winning the title with hands down the most talented team in the nation.

I’ll concede on the tubby stance though, I don’t even remember who y’all played in the tourney much less deficits overcome and all that.

Last edited:

Bert's high school coach was James Naismith.

ADVERTISEMENT