ADVERTISEMENT

Everything okay in Lexington??

Anytime a coach gets tossed their team usually goes on to play well but most want to use this as a chance to say “Cal can’t coach” lol. You know who you are!

Who’s coming in at sf for you guys that will play over him next year though?

Not sure that Cam'Ron Fletcher, Isaiah Jackson or Lance Ware are going to start or basically make getting playing time difficult for Whitney... haven't seen them play yet.

Development - like when freshman Tyrese Maxey dropped 27 on UL in a UK win to take 11 of the last 12 games?

Seeing how maxey had a very similar game in first college game ever against basically the unanimous number 1 team in the nation, I’m not sure I see the similarities.

Guess cal told him all the developmental secrets early and decided not to tell Whitney. I mean seriously though, if Cals the best of the best when it comes to developing as bbn claims how come some highly ranked players do live up to the hype and some don’t? U think he tells diff players diff things or has different drills for those that succeed than the ones that don’t.

No, I know that’s a troll question, it comes down to talent and work ethic. And like I’ve said before cal is good, quite good at developing players, he just doesn’t have some secret sauce that guarantees it will happen like bbn likes to think he does. He recruits and lands some of the best players out there, and most of them turn out to be great and others not as great.

And this isn’t a Whitney sucks post, I think he has the time and skill to have a very successful career, and the same with EJ. Just showing that cal doesn’t make these players who they are in 8 months, or in maxeys case 8 weeks. Some have it some don’t. And again cal helps, every single coach in America helps develop players. But there’s nothing cal is doing developmental wise that’s so revolutionary it works every time. And if he did he would have a few assistant coaches actually succeed at their next gig, assuming cal doesn’t keep the developmental secrets from them as well.

And it’s 10/12

Reactions: Quavarius
Samuel Williamson and David Johnson say hello. Only difference is Whitney hasn't been playing behind Ryan McMahon.

Whitney was ranked higher than both and wayyyyyyy higher than Johnson who also missed 3 months with an injury. Odd time frame to include Johnson. And add to the fact that no UL fan ever has tried to say that Mack is the hand down best player development coach in the history of the game. So again the comparison is a bit off.

Seeing how maxey had a very similar game in first college game ever against basically the unanimous number 1 team in the nation, I’m not sure I see the similarities.

Guess cal told him all the developmental secrets early and decided not to tell Whitney. I mean seriously though, if Cals the best of the best when it comes to developing as bbn claims how come some highly ranked players do live up to the hype and some don’t? U think he tells diff players diff things or has different drills for those that succeed than the ones that don’t.

No, I know that’s a troll question, it comes down to talent and work ethic. And like I’ve said before cal is good, quite good at developing players, he just doesn’t have some secret sauce that guarantees it will happen like bbn likes to think he does. He recruits and lands some of the best players out there, and most of them turn out to be great and others not as great.

And this isn’t a Whitney sucks post, I think he has the time and skill to have a very successful career, and the same with EJ. Just showing that cal doesn’t make these players who they are in 8 months, or in maxeys case 8 weeks. Some have it some don’t. And again cal helps, every single coach in America helps develop players. But there’s nothing cal is doing developmental wise that’s so revolutionary it works every time. And if he did he would have a few assistant coaches actually succeed at their next gig, assuming cal doesn’t keep the developmental secrets from them as well.

And it’s 10/12
tl;dr

Well duh. He's nothing more than an athlete at this point. Not much different than Hami Diallo was. Turns out you can't just rely on athleticism in high major college hoops. Who knew?

With the way bbn talks about Cala player development You’d think he’d have him developed into a Star by now.

Whitney was ranked higher than both and wayyyyyyy higher than Johnson who also missed 3 months with an injury. Odd time frame to include Johnson. And add to the fact that no UL fan ever has tried to say that Mack is the hand down best player development coach in the history of the game. So again the comparison is a bit off.

I'd be interested in seeing who said that. Care to link?

Not sure that Cam'Ron Fletcher, Isaiah Jackson or Lance Ware are going to start or basically make getting playing time difficult for Whitney... haven't seen them play yet.
Depth doesn’t hurt, but being as highly rated coming into cbb as he was, I wonder if he will wanna stick around and possibly turn into a PJ Washington type player his sophomore season. Would be a tall order.

I'd be interested in seeing who said that. Care to link?

Are you serious. Hell start a thread called best coach at player development and sit back and wait.

Maybe a bit of hyperbole on my end but not much. Read numerous times about numerous players that player x wouldn’t have been as good had he not went to UK or player y would have been much better had he went to uk.

Are there any UK fans that don’t think Cal is the best coach when it comes to player development by a mile? That would be much harder to find than the droves that do.

Depth doesn’t hurt, but being as highly rated coming into cbb as he was, I wonder if he will wanna stick around and possibly turn into a PJ Washington type player his sophomore season. Would be a tall order.

Why would he not want to do that, assuming no one is gonna guarantee him they will draft him.

Also I thought the Clarke kid coming in was a sf.

Why would he not want to do that, assuming no one is gonna guarantee him they will draft him.

Also I thought the Clarke kid coming in was a sf.
You know how the NBA is, they base it all off potential. His stock could lower with the next class.

Are you serious. Hell start a thread called best coach at player development and sit back and wait.

Maybe a bit of hyperbole on my end but not much. Read numerous times about numerous players that player x wouldn’t have been as good had he not went to UK or player y would have been much better had he went to uk.

Is there any UK fans that don’t think Cal is the best coach when it comes to player development? That would be easier to find than the droves that do.

Well to be honest, I have read articles where NBA scouts have said UKs guys are ready sooner than most. I think it's because of pick and roll D and playing in a pick and roll/ ISO offense.

Reactions: Random UK Fan

Are there any UK fans that don’t think Cal is the best coach when it comes to player development by a mile? That would be much harder to find than the droves that do.

There's some truth to that, because of the talent and competition in practice. I don't know about development being any better or worse than other coaches, but I do know if you're playing against really good players every day you are going to get better.

Yea I’ve read similar, and again I’m not saying Cal isn’t good at his craft, just that he’s not the clear cut best ever, or that he could have turned others schools recruits that didn’t live up to expectations into first round picks.

But mainly I’m just trolling/poking the bear.

And not that my opinion is worth much but I think uk is gonna be a tough out come tourney time, as usual.

Gotcha, i thought he was like 6”7-6”8 which he could be and still be a shooting guard. A lot of times sg and sf can be interchangible and others not so much, guess it depends on the makeup of the team.

Pitino used to drive me nuts by penciling in players to certain positions and not varying from it regardless if they had the skill set to play multiple positions.

And it’s 10/12
VmbVH2A_d.jpg

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I'm good with that. It reminds me a bit of Poythress a few years ago; he came in, was a beast but then showed flashes of being a star and disappeared other times. Hard to say what gets these kids up these days, and for that matter - down.

I wouldn't claim he's the best developer. I've read where he pushes his players to play through their weaknesses at a equal frequency as their strengths, which would certainly help on their all-around game.

There are several coaches that I feel are great developers, none really better than the other, just different methods.

I mean seriously though, if Cals the best of the best when it comes to developing as bbn claims how come some highly ranked players do live up to the hype and some don’t?

And like I’ve said before cal is good, quite good at developing players, he just doesn’t have some secret sauce that guarantees it will happen like bbn likes to think he does.

But there’s nothing cal is doing developmental wise that’s so revolutionary it works every time.

That's quite the strawman you've built and torn down. Reminds me of how proud my daughter is of knocking over the blocks that she stacked. I'm very proud of you both.

More like you wrote a novel. If you can't be more concise then we'll never make any progress. Cliff's notes?

So you can read every post in a multi page thread but can’t read one long post??? Gotcha. Cliff notes- I was trolling

I wouldn't claim he's the best developer. I've read where he pushes his players to play through their weaknesses at a equal frequency as their strengths, which would certainly help on their all-around game.

There are several coaches that I feel are great developers, none really better than the other, just different methods.

Your one of the very few UK fans I’ve seen that feels this way, And I agree with you fwiw. I think developing ur skill set and craft is a helluva lot more dependent on the player than the coach.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
So you can read every post in a multi page thread but can’t read one long post??? Gotcha. Cliff notes- I was trolling
Time is money

Glad to know I can completely scroll past your posts now

Last edited:
Your one of the very few UK fans I’ve seen that feels this way, And I agree with you fwiw. I think developing ur skill set and craft is a helluva lot more dependent on the player than the coach.

I respectively disagree.

My high school basketball coach taught me how to work really, really hard. I was a horrible basketball player; however, Coach taught me work ethic at a level that I did not know I was capable of, so I might overcome my lack of talent.

My father was a hard worker but he never demanded and pushed me as hard as my coach.

That was translated to college studies and my career all thanks to my old high school basketball coach.

Time is money

Glad to know I can completely scroll past your posts now

Lmao if reading long posts is such a waste of time it’s costing u money, you wouldn’t be posting on any anonymous message boards period, bc that takes time too, and u said it, Time is money.

And not everything I post is trolling, but the post about wondering why Whitney hasn’t developed much if any under Cal was me being a troll. But feel free to put me on ignore or just scroll past my posts, doesn’t make much of a diff to me.

I respectively disagree.

My high school basketball coach taught me how to work really, really hard. I was a horrible basketball player; however, Coach taught me work ethic at a level that I did not know I was capable of, so I might overcome my lack of talent.

My father was a hard worker but he never demanded and pushed me as hard as my coach.

That was translated to college studies and my career all thanks to my old high school basketball coach.

Very Valid point and I do agree with what ur saying but to play devils advocate, don’t u think if u had Went to a different high school and had a different coach, he wouldn’t have also pushed you to work hard to maximize ur abilities this instilling a strong work ethic? Are there coaches out there that don’t demand their players to work hard to maximize their potential? I know some are more stringent than others, like Pitino and his body fat % obsession, but I don’t think there are many that don’t push their players to work hard, and if there are I’d be willing to bet they aren’t very successful.

My opinion is that player development comes down to god given talent and work ethic, which you alluded to, but a lot of that is still an internal drive. U mentioned ur HS coach helped you understand what it meant to be pushed and to have a strong work ethic, but others in ur position might have just quit the team bc it was too “hard”

Also be careful, the message board police frown on posts that include multiple paragraphs.

Last edited:
Very Valid point, but don’t u think if u had a different high school coach, he wouldn’t have also pushed you to work hard to maximize ur abilities and instilled a strong work ethic? Are there coaches out there that don’t demand their players to have strong work ethics?

My opinion is that player development comes down to god given talent and work ethic, which you alluded to, but a lot of that is still an internal drive. Others in ur position might have just quit the team bc it was too “hard”

Also be careful, the message board police frown on posts that include multiple paragraphs.
I don't know. I only had one high school coach.

But to argue that Cal is the same as all coaches is not correct. Cal has a better track record of getting young men into the NBA than any other coach. Of course they all had talent; however, North Carolina and Duke and Kansas have had as much talent as Kentucky the last ten years. Why are the results different?

Sports are good for young men as you learn important life lesson by playing. You learn how to win and how to lose. Most folks hate losing more than they love winning. Losing always motivated me more than winning.

I think that Cal "develops" his players quicker than most coaches. The best three coaches at development were Bob Knight of IU, Joe Hall of Kentucky and Al McGuire of Marquette. That was a different era before one and done. In fact high school players could go straight to the pros. Joe Hall lost two to the NBA in one recruiting class. Poodles Willoughby was one of the two. So the war with keeping talent in college is not new.

On developing talent: in 1987 I don't think that there is any other coach other than Knight who could have won a title with that talent that IU had. Also along the same lines, I don't think that any coach other than Tubby Smith could have won a title in 1998 with Kentucky's talent.

Lmao if reading long posts is such a waste of time it’s costing u money, you wouldn’t be posting on any anonymous message boards period, bc that takes time too, and u said it, Time is money.

And not everything I post is trolling, but the post about wondering why Whitney hasn’t developed much if any under Cal was me being a troll. But feel free to put me on ignore or just scroll past my posts, doesn’t make much of a diff to me.
Dude, I post here when I'm at work at McDonald's, so yes, time is money. Can't spend half my shift reading your shitty troll posts.

Reactions: Villian07
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT