ADVERTISEMENT

Everything okay in Lexington??

Noahtogo24

Jan 6, 2015
Not according to Keion Brook's AAU coach:

Reminds me of the mitchell twin's mom after they left Maryland...

Reactions: tricityvol
He’s not wrong though. If calipari ever figures out their best lineup is brooks, richards, hagans, quickly, and maxey they are gonna be a tough out.

Not to say Brooks has never made a mistake or never had a bad game but he’s shown more promos and potential than certainly EJ, and sestina‘s game is so much more perimeter oriented. If hes hitting from deep he’s and asset, if he’s not, well not so much. (Which I know u could say about many players at many schools, Ryan McMahon might be the poster child for useless if his shot isn’t dropping)

Idk the Xs and Os got cleaned up pretty quick after he got tossed last game. I kid I kid, sort of.

He’s not wrong though. If calipari ever figures out their best lineup is brooks, richards, hagans, quickly, and maxey they are gonna be a tough out.
I totally disagree. The best lineup is Richards, Sestina, IQ, Maxey, Hagans. Brooks can be the 6th man, but his defense isn't much better than Sestina's, and his offense is nowhere close.

Just keep Whitney off the floor is all I ask.

Also, would be nice to have a dollar for every time an AAU coach (IU homer) or parent thought the team would be better if their kid was playing more minutes.

I totally disagree. The best lineup is Richards, Sestina, IQ, Maxey, Hagans. Brooks can be the 6th man, but his defense isn't much better than Sestina's, and his offense is nowhere close.

Just keep Whitney off the floor is all I ask.

Also, would be nice to have a dollar for every time an AAU coach (IU homer) or parent thought the team would be better if their kid was playing more minutes.

My mother was the only one that was ever correct on that point.SmokinSmile

Yeah, college coaches don't have to pay attention to these guys. HS coaches are a different story. I once saw a buddy of mine who was a local HS coach out eating with a player (ended up playing P5 somewhere) and their mother (who I knew). So later I asked him about it and he said you have to keep the parents and AAU coaches happy or they will move their kids to another HS. College coaches shouldn't care one bit what the AAU people think unless they are trying to groom that relationship for former players. That can be important. I know for sure Roy's sort of chilly relationship with certain AAU coaches have hurt him in the past. I'm sure it has with other coaches as well.

Yeah, college coaches don't have to pay attention to these guys. HS coaches are a different story. I once saw a buddy of mine who was a local HS coach out eating with a player (ended up playing P5 somewhere) and their mother (who I knew). So later I asked him about it and he said you have to keep the parents and AAU coaches happy or they will move their kids to another HS. College coaches shouldn't care one bit what the AAU people think unless they are trying to groom that relationship for former players. That can be important. I know for sure Roy's sort of chilly relationship with certain AAU coaches have hurt him in the past. I'm sure it has with other coaches as well.

Reminds me of Gary’s relationships with AAU coaches from the past...

Well here is what Keion Brooks Jr.'s DAD had to say about the game/situation...

Sure seems to me like Keion Brooks and his family are happy, and that this lunatic of an AAU coach is the odd man out in this situation. Not to mention he has complaints about several of the nation's top programs and coaches in his past tweets.

Idk the Xs and Os got cleaned up pretty quick after he got tossed last game. I kid I kid, sort of.
Not far from the truth, TBH. Brooks played a lot, and UK going to zone played a huge role in UK winning. This all came after Cal was shown the door. Same thing happened when he got tossed at South Carolina.

Coincidence? Me thinks not.

Not far from the truth, TBH. Brooks played a lot, and UK going to zone played a huge role in UK winning. This all came after Cal was shown the door. Same thing happened when he got tossed at South Carolina.

So Cal's ego about not playing zone then??

Well here is what Keion Brooks Jr.'s DAD had to say about the game/situation...

Sure seems to me like Keion Brooks and his family are happy, and that this lunatic of an AAU coach is the odd man out in this situation. Not to mention he has complaints about several of the nation's top programs and coaches in his past tweets.
Absolute terrible call. One of the worst I've ever seen.

the comments the AAU coach made is the exact "clutter" that Cal teaches his kids not to listen too

Brooks played as much in the first half and scored most of his points then as well. Yes, the team played with more energy following Cal's exit but was it to prove the crowd and the refs they wouldn't be denied or was it, as alleged that Cal's efforts were inferior to his assistants? Seems like UK led by 8 most of the game and not from the foul line.

I could be remembering it wrong.

Brooks played as much in the first half and scored most of his points then as well. Yes, the team played with more energy following Cal's exit but was it to prove the crowd and the refs they wouldn't be denied or was it, as alleged that Cal's efforts were inferior to his assistants? Seems like UK led by 8 most of the game and not from the foul line.

I could be remembering it wrong.
Dunno. I just know UK was down 3 when Cal exited---Couldn't guard Arky off the bounce. UK went to zone---Arkansas couldn't penetrate, noe hit a shot. Cats then went on a 15-1 run. Point is, I just think Cal is to stubborn to at times, get away from what he thinks is best. Kinda of like admitting defeat. His ego cannot handle that. Robic and Payne are the exact opposite. TBH, I'm not sure UK wins if they don't go zone. Maybe they do.

Dunno. I just know UK was down 3 when Cal exited---Couldn't guard Arky off the bounce. UK went to zone---Arkansas couldn't penetrate, noe hit a shot. Cats then went on a 15-1 run. Point is, I just think Cal is to stubborn to at times, get away from what he thinks is best. Kinda of like admitting defeat. His ego cannot handle that. Robic and Payne are the exact opposite. TBH, I'm not sure UK wins if they don't go zone. Maybe they do.
They were tied when Cal got tossed. Making 3 of 4 technical FTs is what put them up 3.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
We dominated the first half with Cal on the sideline. But he definitely wouldn't have stuck with zone throughout. Arkansas scored the very first time we went zone. Cal probably would've went back to man defense after. But, let's say Cal doesn't purposely get tossed and he goes zone all game. Do the players still have the fire and determination to win that game? I think it was a combo of both that won it. Cal did the right thing by sticking up for his players (several of those fouls that got Arky back in it were egregious) as well as the assistants for sticking with what was working. It was a tied game though. If Cal doesn't go get himself ejected, we could've won that. He's done it countless times. Still, great job by everyone IMO. The entire staff and players did a wonderful job, Cal included.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Brooks has been a disappointment for most of the season. He played good the other night but that’s not been the norm. Hence Sestina and Montgomery getting more clock.

I’m pretty confused on why the great developer hasn’t used any of his secret drills or advice with Whitney. I thought he’d be a beast based on HS ranking combined with Cal being the best player development coach in history.

Reactions: UL_1986
We dominated the first half with Cal on the sideline. But he definitely wouldn't have stuck with zone throughout. Arkansas scored the very first time we went zone. Cal probably would've went back to man defense after. But, let's say Cal doesn't purposely get tossed and he goes zone all game. Do the players still have the fire and determination to win that game? I think it was a combo of both that won it. Cal did the right thing by sticking up for his players (several of those fouls that got Arky back in it were egregious) as well as the assistants for sticking with what was working. It was a tied game though. If Cal doesn't go get himself ejected, we could've won that. He's done it countless times. Still, great job by everyone IMO. The entire staff and players did a wonderful job, Cal included.

He did struggle early I just think moving forward he adds more to the team than sestina or ej, but that’s just my opinion, and I obv don’t watch UK as closely as y’all do.

I’m pretty confused on why the great developer hasn’t used any of his secret drills or advice with Whitney. I thought he’d be a beast based on HS ranking combined with Cal being the best player development coach in history.
Development - like when freshman Tyrese Maxey dropped 27 on UL in a UK win to take 11 of the last 12 games?

Samuel Williamson and David Johnson say hello. Only difference is Whitney hasn't been playing behind Ryan McMahon.

Reactions: JC for 3
Well duh. He's nothing more than an athlete at this point. Not much different than Hami Diallo was. Turns out you can't just rely on athleticism in high major college hoops. Who knew?
He does remind me of Hami for sure, but I feel like Diallo was further along at this point in the season. Inconsistent, but he showed flashes of his potential. Haven’t seen it with Whitney yet, plus his handle is atrocious. Athleticism is there most definitely.

He does remind me of Hami for sure, but I feel like Diallo was further along at this point in the season. Inconsistent, but he showed flashes of his potential. Haven’t seen it with Whitney yet, plus his handle is atrocious. Athleticism is there most definitely.

....I'm good with a 2nd year Whitney to go with the class coming in.

Diallo did show flashes and he was slightly less raw than Whitney. Kahlil hasn't shown much of anything yet. I think he's realizing it's going to take more than strength and athleticism to dominate like he did in high school, but he hasn't yet figured out how to play basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT