ADVERTISEMENT

EURO Soccer

And i obv didnt even know how it works, i thought it was pure random draw, but after reading the post about portugal losing to ukraine is why they arent a top 2 in a group makes me believe they have some kind of tier sustem based on qualifying games and then its random from there.

Their rankings are almost as worthless as pre-season AP. Also, FIFA being maybe the most corrupt sports organization in the world it’s better to not involve them much whenever possible.
I mean yea its hard to rank the teams when they only play a meaningful tourney every other year. But i mean while not perfect the rankings are hardly worthless imo. I may not agree with all but they are pretty close. I just think it would make for a better tourney if the groups were closer in talent. But again not a hill i wanna die on or anything.

It def changes things if 3 can advance from a group. Makes it pretty moot. I was not aware of that fact. Usually when they have the WC and euros is my busiest time of year with work so i dont get to watch much.

And we can agree to disagree on the random draw. Theres a reason soccer is the only sport in the world that has a random anything when seeding/grouping for a tournament, but whatever, it doesnt irk me that much. If your not good enough to get out of ur group, ur not good enough to advance deep anyways most likely. Just hate seeing teams in the next round who have no business being there except they were 2nd in an easy group.
As @FaithPlusOne said there is no way I'm letting corrupt FIFA assign groups based on World Rankings(which is subjective). It's also great because you can get cinderella teams like Wales in 2016 making it all the way to the semifinals.

I mean yea its hard to rank the teams when they only play a meaningful tourney every other year. But i mean while not perfect the rankings are hardly worthless imo. I may not agree with all but they are pretty close. I just think it would make for a better tourney if the groups were closer in talent. But again not a hill i wanna die on or anything.

I hear you. Part of my point is that if they mattered more, they’d be for sale (if they aren’t already). FIFA is corrupt to their absolute core.

I think I’d care more about the random draw if each team only had one game to prove themselves. With three games there’s plenty of opportunity, even if against strong competition. The possibility of 3 teams being able to move on was a game changer. Ultimately, the cream generally rises to the top when it’s all said and done either way.

Reactions: Villian07
Didnt think about the conderella aspect.

And im aware of fifa shadiness, i jsut dont see how u can corrupt geouping teams based on their ranking. I guess they could give teams undeserved high rankings to manipulate who plays who, or take pyments for high rankings. Idk in reality its really not as big of a deal if 3 can get out of a group anyways.

I just thought, before i got informed, that it was a shame that one of those 3 wouldnt advance and one of slovakia/poland/sweden will get through.

I hear you. Part of my point is that if they mattered more, they’d be for sale (if they aren’t already). FIFA is corrupt to their absolute core.

I think I’d care more about the random draw if each team only had one game to prove themselves. With three games there’s plenty of opportunity, even if against strong competition. The possibility of 3 teams being able to move on was a game changer. Ultimately, the cream generally rises to the top when it’s all said and done either way.
Yea the 3 team thing is indeed a game changer, and makes me back off my stance quite a bit.

I wasnt aware that was possible

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Pot 1Pot 2Pot 3Pot 4
BelgiumFrancePortugalWales
ItalyPolandTurkeyFinland
EnglandSwitzerlandDenmarkPlay-off winner A
GermanyCroatiaAustriaPlay-off winner B
SpainNetherlandsSweedenPlay-off winner C
UkraineRussiaCzech RepublicPlay-off winner D

There's the pots so you can see the group of death just so happened to get the top team from pot 2 and 3 to go along with Germany.

Pot 1Pot 2Pot 3Pot 4
BelgiumFrancePortugalWales
ItalyPolandTurkeyFinland
EnglandSwitzerlandDenmarkPlay-off winner A
GermanyCroatiaAustriaPlay-off winner B
SpainNetherlandsSweedenPlay-off winner C
UkraineRussiaCzech RepublicPlay-off winner D

There's the pots so you can see the group of death just so happened to get the top team from pot 2 and 3 to go along with Germany.
Gotcha. Yea i was so uninformed i didnt even know about this pot system, i thought once the teams qualified the groups were completely random draw

Yea i got $$$ on belgium and dont even care, denmark deserved that and deserve to advance out of this group. Should not have to play the rest of a game after watching ur captain die on the field and get resuscitated.

Shit. Yes, forgot this was on. thanks.
Are you saying you didn’t watch Ukraine-North Macedonia?

tenor.gif

Sorry i got a phone call dude. Saved u some money. I woukd have been more inclined to take belgium by 2 thatn the draw at that point tho.

Reactions: bMORE607
Sorry i got a phone call dude. Saved u some money. I woukd have been more inclined to take belgium by 2 thatn the draw at that point tho.
Can’t fully trust a Roberto Martinez coached team. Watched him fvck around at Everton. How he managed to fall up to coaching Belgium’s golden generation is beyond me.

I honestly only follow soccer for betting purposes, dont have a fave team or anything. I mean i have teams i like and dont like, but not a die hard team, So i had no idea about martinez even being at everton, i dont know much about any of the coaches ezcept germanies is disgusting.

I never played soccer and actually got hooked on it when i got addicted to playing fifa on the ps3

If i was an austrian fan id be a little salthy about that penalty after dude faked the contact/simulation right before the foul.

Very much so. That always cracks me up like when scotland and england tied and theh showed a watch party in scotland and they were celebrating like they just won the whole tourny, just goin crazy.

Germany looking like 2014 germany today. 2 own goal never hurt.

do teams always get home games in the euros? Im usually working not as invested in watching when they roll around.

Does portugal get a home game in the group stage??? Wanna think they said france v portugal was in budapest???

seems shitty if some get multiple home games and some none.

but also i just learned that 16-24 teams in group play advance anyways. Pretty ridiculous.

That last day is gonna be exciting as hell tho with frace/portugal/germany all sitting with 3-4 pts

Haven’t watched too many matches yet
Saw the end of Germany/Portugal today
20 minutes of England/Scotland
Some of Italy/Turkey to start the tournament

France is playing like shit. Shouldn’t have won their first game. They are the most talented team. Not going to end anytime soon
But the difference between a Good French team and a bad one no matter the players is huge

Germany has actually been very impressive. Looking at their match with France. They outplayed them. Should have at least gotten a point

England has a chance to play at home. Extremely overrated like always

Belgium hasn’t won anything even with all this talent

But
Italy has a lot to prove. I think pride can carry them where talent comes short.
Prideful country when it comes to soccer.

If France can turn the corner they are the only ones who can knock them out.
France/Italy know how to play Germany. If someone can knock either one out I think Germany wins

Forgot the Netherlands. Haven’t seen them yet. I cannot say either way.

That tie between Hungary and France seems more like a win for Hungary and a loss for France. Pretty shocking final score line.

They tend to turn on each other. Always has been their issue.
Too busy fighting each other to fight the other guy
But when they are focused their game is as good as you can get

Pay attention to the media. You will see what will happen in their last group game
Could flame out

Yea but 16/24 teams advance so hopefully france portugal and germany all advance. Very likely as long as germany beats hungary.

I think its pretty silly to even have group stages when 2/3 of the teams advance but whatever. More games to watch. And hea germany actually looked like 2014 germany today not the 2018 wc flop. Be interestinng to see if france gashes portigal too. Granted without the two own goals its a draw, Thenfirst wasnt so bad but the second was pitiful defense.

France/Portugal should be a great game

Might catch some of it.

Regarding the rest. That is how they determine the seeding for the knockout stages.
You win your group you usually get a much easier match. So it separates the countries.

Regarding Germany. It is keeping possession. Not allowing them to counter.

Even when France is disorganized they keep possession. Same thing with Italy.

Italy has historically not moved their players all over the field and have kept a strong defense.
Why they always give teams who do issues.

If you watch them against Turkey. Every one of their attackers had more touches in dangerous positions than Turkey had as an entire team

ADVERTISEMENT