ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Recruiting

No matter his record his first two years? Three minimum?

I think we are approaching it in two different ways.

You are going in on the “you are giving him time even if he sucks” route.

Im ASSUMING decent success the first few years. Still got K recruits and Ks methods and ways, not to mention his presence.

I think it takes a few years to get a feel for what he will really be capable of. So I’m looking at it as “im giving him time to make sure his success is genuine.”

That make sense? If he goes 0-50, sure, fire him, but that’s unlikely to happen.

I think we are approaching it in two different ways.

You are going in on the “you are giving him time even if he sucks” route.

Im ASSUMING decent success the first few years. Still got K recruits and Ks methods and ways, not to mention his presence.

I think it takes a few years to get a feel for what he will really be capable of. So I’m looking at it as “im giving him time to make sure his success is genuine.”

That make sense? If he goes 0-50, sure, fire him, but that’s unlikely to happen.
Hubert coached under HOF coaches. I'd like for Duke to remain good for the sake of keeping you all around.

It's hard to win titles under different coaches. Only a select few have done it.

Agree, Kevin----I think he's gonna be a damn good coach.
Everything I've read is he's great with personality. Obviously a great recruiter.

I guess we'll revisit results this time next year.

Has K ever been kicked out and he took over?

200.gif

Reactions: TheDude1
Hubert coached under HOF coaches. I'd like for Duke to remain good for the sake of keeping you all around.

It's hard to win titles under different coaches. Only a select few have done it.
UK, Indiana, UCLA, UNC, Kansas, UConn, , MSU, Villanova, NC State, off the top of my head. Pretty sure only UNC/IU have multiple coaches that won multiple titles? IU damn near had 3(lost 2002 title game with Davis).

Everything I've read is he's great with personality. Obviously a great recruiter.

I dunno---But over the past few seasons, and especially this one, you could see he played a much bigger role in huddles, t/o's, etc..

You called my wifes phone...... 🤣

I just tok my pain meds, about to drop....Give me a call tomorrow night.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Anyway, Duke's entire brand is on Jon.

....a little harsh, but K is no longer synonymous. UCLA kids don't care about Wooden, IU don't care about Knight, UK don't care about Rupp. It's all moving forward.

K is a guy who peaked in the 90's.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Anyway, Duke's entire brand is on Jon.

....a little harsh, but K is no longer synonymous. UCLA kids don't care about Wooden, IU don't care about Knight, UK don't care about Rupp. It's all moving forward.

K is a guy who peaked in the 90's.

I suspect you are underselling K. A few of you seem to be doing that. I’m assuming it is tongue in cheek.

Oh, and sorry, didn’t realize about missing parts of the convo, my bad:)

In other words, Scheyer is gonna be feeling some heat to win the natty in year 1. That's a shit ton of talent to go along with whoever returns and potential transfers.

I don't think we'll return very much, tbh. Banchero, Griffin, and Williams are all gone. I expect Keels will leave, too. Maybe a 30% chance that Wendell Moore stays. I'm fully expecting to lose our top 5 players. And our two grad transfers (Theo John and Bates Jones), of course.

That leaves Jeremy Roach - and maybe Joey Baker, if he wants to stay an additional year. Baker would be a 5th year senior. Jaylen Blakes, a seldom used guard, is also there.

Most are anticipating Roach and 4 freshmen to be the starting 5. Maybe Joey Baker and Jaden Schutt as the top guys off the bench.

I don't think we'll return very much, tbh. Banchero, Griffin, and Williams are all gone. I expect Keels will leave, too. Maybe a 30% chance that Wendell Moore stays. I'm fully expecting to lose our top 5 players. And our two grad transfers (Theo John and Bates Jones), of course.

That leaves Jeremy Roach - and maybe Joey Baker, if he wants to stay an additional year. Baker would be a 5th year senior. Jaylen Blakes, a seldom used guard, is also there.

Most are anticipating Roach and 4 freshmen to be the starting 5. Maybe Joey Baker and Jaden Schutt as the top guys off the bench.
Seems pointless to even speculate about starting lineups these days. They could be starting three transfers.

Reactions: Villian07 and RR30
Seems pointless to even speculate about starting lineups these days. They could be starting three transfers.

We've never been highly dependent on transfers. And the idea that multiple talented transfers would want to come here when they know we have four 5-star recruits coming in seems unlikely. The odds are very high that I've got at least 4 of those starters correct.

Ohhh, so he gets a pass because he's a first year guy? You guys have gotten soft. Then again you've had the same coach for 98 years, so you're new to this new coach thing. There are no training wheels in this profession. He better win it all next season and if not it will be an epic failure. 😁
Was it an epic failure cals first year at uk when he didnt win it all with 5 first round draft picks? Including the 1st and i think 5th pick?

It is imo but jw from uk fans perspective.

Not exactly apples to apples anyways bc its not like that was cals first year as a HC. Still lining up to be pretty similar.

Plus idk how they can have the 1st ranked recruit when i thought sharpe was the concesus too ranked recruit that class. Or they move him up a class since he already enrolled at uk.?

UK, Indiana, UCLA, UNC, Kansas, UConn, , MSU, Villanova, NC State, off the top of my head. Pretty sure only UNC/IU have multiple coaches that won multiple titles? IU damn near had 3(lost 2002 title game with Davis).
Louisville* 😂

Was it an epic failure cals first year at uk when he didnt win it all with 5 first round draft picks? Including the 1st and i think 5th pick?

It is imo but jw from uk fans perspective.

Not exactly apples to apples anyways bc its not like that was cals first year as a HC. Still lining up to be pretty similar.

Plus idk how they can have the 1st ranked recruit when i thought sharpe was the concesus too ranked recruit that class. Or they move him up a class since he already enrolled at uk.?
5 first rounders? Ha. Didn’t remember that.

Of course it was a failure. Especially since he’d already been a head coach for like 20 years. They got smoked in the Elite 8 by a way less talented team.

Reactions: Villian07
5 first rounders? Ha. Didn’t remember that.

Of course it was a failure. Especially since he’d already been a head coach for like 20 years. They got smoked in the Elite 8 by a way less talented team.

I could be wrong about this but I don’t think WVU hit a 2 point FG at all in the first half. A really odd game.

You have Cousins, Patterson and a PG who can get to the rim at will. Why in God’s name would you jack up 32 threes?
Esp when wvu was playing a 1-3-1 zone with 6”5 mazzula running the baseline. How bout get cousins on the block with the 6”5 guy on his back and let him go to work instead of jacking up a million 3s

Reactions: ExitFlagger
WVU packed the paint with their zone and let them shoot threes. They tried the same thing in the next game against Duke but Scheyer, Nolan Smith, and Singler could actually shoot.
Yea but they played a 1-3-1 not a 2-3 zone.

2-3 zone much more effective at packing the paint than the 1-3-1. It was genius having ebanks out top of the 1-3-1 to bother wall/bledsoe with his length, but they shoulda been ripping mazzula to threads down low with patterson and cousins.

WVU packed the paint with their zone and let them shoot threes. They tried the same thing in the next game against Duke but Scheyer, Nolan Smith, and Singler could actually shoot.

If Jodie Meeks came back that would have been the best team of all time. Instead they went out with a wet fart because Cal was shocked Pikachu face that some team would zone them.

Oh man, Barstool is like the sports equivalent of the NY Post... it is just such trash.

I doubt that K wants to keep control of the Duke program. The guy is retiring; why would he then want to control the program? Why wouldn't he just keep coaching? And nothing in the actual book they are quoting seems to offer any actual evidence of that... it is just author speculation, and isn't at all supported by the actual source material, which is just about K worrying that Dawkins coming in would create an issue with Scheyer.

And if anyone believes that Duke offered the job to Amaker without K knowing, but then K stepped in... you are a sucker.

But whatever... Barstool knows they will get clicks, and people who hate K and Duke will buy it, no questions asked.

Oh man, Barstool is like the sports equivalent of the NY Post... it is just such trash.

I doubt that K wants to keep control of the Duke program. The guy is retiring; why would he then want to control the program? Why wouldn't he just keep coaching? And nothing in the actual book they are quoting seems to offer any actual evidence of that... it is just author speculation, and isn't at all supported by the actual source material, which is just about K worrying that Dawkins coming in would create an issue with Scheyer.

And if anyone believes that Duke offered the job to Amaker without K knowing, but then K stepped in... you are a sucker.

But whatever... Barstool knows they will get clicks, and people who hate K and Duke will buy it, no questions asked.
Aren't they just relaying Ian O'Conner's words? Why attack the messengers?

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
ADVERTISEMENT