ADVERTISEMENT

Do Arkansas fans actually think Cal will succeed there?

What if he doesn’t?
And what will be said when he loses 12 games, loses in the first round of the SECT, then loses to butthole state in the first round of the NCAAT and Arkansas fans say the same things UK fans have been saying?

What they don't know is, Cal will tell them that they should be happy for the guys moving on to the NBA.

He's not in the HOF for his coaching abilities, but they don't know that yet.

UK fans convinced themselves that Cal was the worst, but they need to just look to their brothers Louisville. If Pope drops them down to UL level and Cal makes a deep run in the NCAA it will be hilarious.
Cal made himself think he was bigger than UK and he coached for individual accomplishments and goals, that’s not going to work in today’s game. If Cal coached at BYU, with all the rules they have, he would never make the tournament.

Pope will coach for the name on the front of the jersey, if he loses 10 games this year, most UK fans will be fine. The heat was on Cal, not because he lost 10 games, it was why he lost those games and why he lost to SP and Oakland. Absolutely zero preperation, playing the worst possible lineups due to promises made and the threat of pouting and prioritizing individual goals.

Cal made himself think he was bigger than UK and he coached for individual accomplishments and goals, that’s not going to work in today’s game. If Cal coached at BYU, with all the rules they have, he would never make the tournament.

Pope will coach for the name on the front of the jersey, if he loses 10 games this year, most UK fans will be fine. The heat was on Cal, not because he lost 10 games, it was why he lost those games and why he lost to SP and Oakland. Absolutely zero preperation, playing the worst possible lineups due to promises made and the threat of pouting and prioritizing individual goals.
What if he loses 15 games or more? Y'all have no returning players and no magnet to draw them in. I would expect next year to be challenging for UK.

What if he loses 15 games or more? Y'all have no returning players and no magnet to draw them in. I would expect next year to be challenging for UK.
With big NIL dollars and a ton of really good players in the portal, there should be no worry with regards to the roster.

If he loses 15 games, well, that will suck, but he won’t blame everyone else, then run and hide like Cal has been doing. He will do whatever he has to do to correct the issues.

He’s driven to win, our previous coach was driven to fill the NBA with players that were going to the NBA no matter where they went to school.

But lets be real here, Pope didn’t lose 15 games at BYU with a subpar roster, in the BIG12, I don't see him losing 15 games at UK.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
The thing with Cal is he changed his attitude. He was always "players first", but he also said he can't hide you and not everyone was good enough to play. That changed.

His philosophy changed from playing the best to "I can't take their heart from them by sitting them". This year it was obvious by not starting Sheppard and Dillingham, but he has done it the last 4 or 5 years.

I kinda expect Cal/Arkansas to do well. Typically things like this lights a fire in people. I did find it shocking Antigua didn't follow Cal. He has been his right hand man for a very long time.

The thing with Cal is he changed his attitude. He was always "players first", but he also said he can't hide you and not everyone was good enough to play. That changed.

His philosophy changed from playing the best to "I can't take their heart from them by sitting them". This year it was obvious by not starting Sheppard and Dillingham, but he has done it the last 4 or 5 years.

I kinda expect Cal/Arkansas to do well. Typically things like this lights a fire in people. I did find it shocking Antigua didn't follow Cal. He has been his right hand man for a very long time.
I’m more surprised that he’s keeping Chin on even without Antigua. I always assumed that Chin was an add-on in order to entice Antigua back. I had heard he was an “meh” coach even before heading to Kentucky.

Don't be ridiculous. 😂
It would be funny Kev and especially if Cal puts legs under Arky.

You would be able to hear all the way down here the sound of UK fan's heads exploding.:p

Might as well have put up a sign that reads,

"sister ****ing, meth heads this way....."

"
proud brother GIF by Regal

It would be funny Kev and especially if Cal puts legs under Arky.

You would be able to hear all the way down here the sound of UK fan's heads exploding.:p
Don’t be surprised if Louisville has a better season than Kentucky next year. Both rosters are starting from scratch and I really like our coach. Not saying Pope is garbage, but he’s no Kelsey……

Don’t be surprised if Louisville has a better season than Kentucky next year. Both rosters are starting from scratch and I really like our coach. Not saying Pope is garbage, but he’s no Kelsey……
I won't be surprised at all Rocky.

I won’t be surprised to see us lose quite a few, but I can deal with that as long as it’s all done under the name on the front of the jersey. I’m not so naive to think that that’s how today’s players feel. College bball is dead as we used to know it. I just got tired of Cal’s schtick. He did some good things for our state from a humanitarian standpoint and for that I’m grateful.

But he wasn’t even hiding the fact that his goals weren’t UK’s goals. That’s a conflict of interest in my book.

I won’t be surprised to see us lose quite a few, but I can deal with that as long as it’s all done under the name on the front of the jersey. I’m not so naive to think that that’s how today’s players feel. College bball is dead as we used to know it. I just got tired of Cal’s schtick. He did some good things for our state from a humanitarian standpoint and for that I’m grateful.

But he wasn’t even hiding the fact that his goals weren’t UK’s goals. That’s a conflict of interest in my book.
Honest question, will your feelings about Cal translate into ad feelings for Arky? Example, UT vs Arky, who will you be for?

Honest question, will your feelings about Cal translate into ad feelings for Arky? Example, UT vs Arky, who will you be for?
I’m UK first. I don’t have bad feelings about any other school, or bad ones about Cal. I’m too old to be that emotionally-invested.

Reactions: cdbearde

Here's a question for Cal:
What do you mean by, "players first"?

Is there a coach out there that doesn't want the absolute best for every player they have? Is there a coach out there that doesn't want their players to be successful?

Other than picking out a few players to coddle every year and put over team success, I don't know what his definition of 'players first' is.

It seems like he's taking the credit for all the second and 3rd contracts UK players are getting, like they would have been average players if it wasn't for Cal.

Seems like he hurt more players than helped. He coddled Edwards and Wagner all year, how did that work out? Sheppard and Dillingham did just fine while swimming upstream outside of Cal's favorites club.

Dude's a scammer.

I’m more surprised that he’s keeping Chin on even without Antigua. I always assumed that Chin was an add-on in order to entice Antigua back. I had heard he was an “meh” coach even before heading to Kentucky.

Chin apparently is the new favorite brown noser. I think Cal is going to try to stick it to UK, but losing his best assistant and best recruiter and replacing it with his fvcking son and the worst college coach of all time (non criminal division, GFY Dave Bliss) is making me think it ain't gonna happen.

I'd say there are potentially a few big differences. 1) If the rumors are true that UK donors withdrew their support. Sounds like Ark donors are excited and willing to shell out the big bucks. 2) Calipari's an egotist and he's been humbled. He's probably going to be more motivated than ever.
He had the #1 class basically every year at UK. Is he going to do BETTER than the #1 class?

I think the "Robic was responsible for everything Calipari ever accomplished" narrative is a little goofy. I don't doubt that he had an impact, but if he were the difference between routinely going to the final four and the results of the last few years, I'm pretty sure the dude would have built a solid career for himself as a head coach. Instead, he flamed out in his one HC gig and went directly back to being an assistant.

The biggest difference over the last several years is that Kentucky wasn't getting the generational freaks like Davis anymore, and recent teams didn't have quite the same mix of top shelf talent and experience.

It's not like the teams that lost to St Peter's and Oakland didn't have the ability to win those games (and go much further). They obviously did. They just choked. Happens to literally everyone.
You literally proved my point.

And robic and cal compliment each other wonderfully. Both failed miserably without the other.

Robic is a game guy that is bad at recruiting and player management/inspiration

Cal can't coach to save his life

Reactions: Yet Another UK Fan
UK gifted Arky a HOF coach and filled him with a terrible resolution to win for a no name coach. Arky is sitting pretty.
You're a clown

"HOF coach" that hasn't accomplished anything since pre April of 2015

No name coach" who is actually an up and comer and beat KU (at KU), blew out ISU, and beat Baylor with a bunch of scrubs that had to sign a pact not to drink caffeine

Delete your account

Like I said, though, my point has more to do with their purpose. They are selling a product and they can reach far more customers if they can trigger their emotions. That works both ways.

I don’t think the vast majority of Arkansas fans believe they “stole” Cal from kentucky or that his relationship with kentucky fans wasn’t getting more toxic by the year.

That said, the amount of UK fans that have tried to convince themselves and Arkansas fans that they are ecstatic and that Arkansas is getting someone that can’t win, just looks like sour grapes.
There were only 33 million reasons why Cal wasn't summarily fired on the plane ride back from Pittsburgh.

You can tell yourself whatever you want to try to feel better, but he was completely unwanted at UK and has no chance to win anything going forward.

Reactions: Yet Another UK Fan
If you think that's actually gonna happen you're on meth 🤣
Yeah and if you thought BYU was about to become the capital of CBB you're just crazy. Looks like y'all will be bunking with UL next year in Jr camp of CBB.

Cat fans are ecstatic Cal is gone and that Pope so far has nailed every single thing. It's looking like the perfect hire. We'll see come November when the rubber meets the road.
Kinda been waiting on your response to my post you bumped?

Cal will win plenty of games because he’ll have the talent to do so. But unless he changes his approach the post season results will remain the same. Losing Welch will hurt his offense for sure. Classic Cal plays stall ball with a meager lead late in games rather than continuing to be aggressive. That’s usually what bites him in the ass. He’s clueless about making halftime adjustments too. And don’t get me started on drawing up plays, lol. Usually results in a turnover, block, or shot clock violation. His go-to is to have someone dribble around (stationary) and have someone jack a contested 3 as the clock expires. Solid coaching. They looked completely lost against Oakland’s zone and he has no excuse because that’s the only defense they play. 🤣

Yeah and if you thought BYU was about to become the capital of CBB you're just crazy. Looks like y'all will be bunking with UL next year in Jr camp of CBB.
You're this dumb... 🤣🤣🤣🤣

You're a clown

"HOF coach" that hasn't accomplished anything since pre April of 2015

No name coach" who is actually an up and comer and beat KU (at KU), blew out ISU, and beat Baylor with a bunch of scrubs that had to sign a pact not to drink caffeine

Delete your account

Be honest....how much did you know about Pope's career before he was hired? And where was he on your personal list?

Be honest....how much did you know about Pope's career before he was hired? And where was he on your personal list?
I think all the UK fans were pissed/shocked once the news broke. Mostly because that was not the expectation. That only lasted a couple hours though and the tide changed, as evidenced by the packed Rupp Arena for his presser. I’m pretty stoked to see what he can do with legit talent. The offense he runs is a thing of beauty and efficient even given the number of 3s they jack. How good the defense could be remains a mystery but adding Williams is a great start (assuming he doesn’t stay in the draft) and if they snag Osobor too that would go a long way to shoring up at least the interior defense and having some glass eaters.

You're this dumb... 🤣🤣🤣🤣
I'm apparently not as dumb as you. You're the one thinking a coach you picked up on the discount table at the dollar store is the second coming of Rupp.

ADVERTISEMENT