ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Michigan on being #1 "Best in College Sports".

My best friends boys each have an NCAA title in Sailing. Few Universities participate. Some of the championships are the result of selected sports that no one cares for.

Titles that matter are football, basketball, baseball, tennis, golf.... then it really falls off.

I think you could have left off tennis and golf. Sure, some people care, but not most. I am surprised to see equestrian on this list. They must be selling the horses after the competition.

59d687a6c68d7b282e8b7b77-960-720.png

Reactions: jhmossy
Yes.

Who would not?

Kentucky 8 titles are better than Virginias 1!

There are plenty of UK fans who think UK's 8 championships are better than UCLA's 11 since they spanned multiple decades and coaches whereas UCLA's are limited to one coach and time period. Please show me where I said UVA's 1 natty is better than UK's 8.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I think you could have left off tennis and golf. Sure, some people care, but not most. I am surprised to see equestrian on this list. They must be selling the horses after the competition.

In 1998 I remember our swim coach telling us that our annual budget was $500,000 and that we brought in $0. 2 years later Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa State all cut their programs. I wonder where any of those revenue numbers are coming in for swimming and diving.

Seems like more people care about lacrosse than the people laughing at lacrosse in this thread. UVA has championships in 4 of the top 10 sports (basketball, baseball, men's lacrosse, rowing). Keep on laughing.

I totally disagree.

Damned, if it was so easy then why didn't Duke win them?

This is the same old warn out theme used all the time. If Duke was so good why not win a title before 1991? Why did they let UNC win in 1957 if they were so great.

The deal is that those games were against top teams. Then the middle of the roaders, like Duke, simply were not invited.

Back in the old days when Duke and Kentucky were in the same conference why did UK win? Eyeroll

Yes, Kentucky is historically better than Duke. And just about every program in that era. That wasn't my argument. I'm simply saying it's much harder to win a tournament now than it was in 1948. I think most reasonable people would agree with that assessment. There are many factors, but the biggest reason is 6 > 3

Not invited? You realize there was no at-large bids, right? The ACC's first year was 1954. From 1954-1974 (last year before at-large bids) the ACC had 10 teams reach the Final Four, meanwhile the SEC had just 2 FF appearances. It's almost like the ACC was a better conference.

In 1998 I remember our swim coach telling us that our annual budget was $500,000 and that we brought in $0. 2 years later Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa State all cut their programs. I wonder where any of those revenue numbers are coming in for swimming and diving.

Not sure. Coming from a track/cross country background, I can tell you that each school has an entry fee to compete in every meet. I would expect the same for swimming. Schools that host meets are collecting a decent amount of money. Also, I think the NCAA distributes money to each school for qualifying for national events. So it's money in a roundabout way, because you know the NCAA is cashing in only from football and basketball. Still, the numbers seem off in a lot of those non-revenue sports.

Seems like more people care about lacrosse than the people laughing at lacrosse in this thread. UVA has championships in 4 of the top 10 sports (basketball, baseball, men's lacrosse, rowing). Keep on laughing.

Honestly, I think lacrosse is fairly entertaining. I mean, there's a reason why ESPN is showcasing regular season lacrosse games and not rowing, fencing, tennis, or wrestling. I watch the lacrosse semifinals and finals almost every year.

There are plenty of UK fans who think UK's 8 championships are better than UCLA's 11 since they spanned multiple decades and coaches whereas UCLA's are limited to one coach and time period. Please show me where I said UVA's 1 natty is better than UK's 8.
I think most UK fans know 11 is better than 8 (hopefully they do anyway), however, UK has been the better overall team despite having the 2nd most titles.

Not sure. Coming from a track/cross country background, I can tell you that each school has an entry fee to compete in every meet. I would expect the same for swimming. Schools that host meets are collecting a decent amount of money. Also, I think the NCAA distributes money to each school for qualifying for national events. So it's money in a roundabout way, because you know the NCAA is cashing in only from football and basketball. Still, the numbers seem off in a lot of those non-revenue sports.
Right. I think I remember reading or hearing that our program was mainly paid for because of the revenue that football and basketball brought in. Also, I think the money that the conference received for having a national title winner or Final Four representative trickled its way down as well.

We never hosted any big meets or invitationals that brought in a lot of spectators. Mainly just dual meets against Missouri, Iowa State and other Big 12 or regional swim teams. The big meets/invitationals we went to were at Texas, Texas A&M and other big schools (North Carolina, Georgia). Spectators at the home meets were usually just recruits, friends and family or other athletes. I think it was free admission. If we brought in money it would’ve only been because of how the NCAA, Big 12 and KU setup their budget for swimming and diving related stuff.

Okay, scratch the numbers that I provided earlier. Some of those non-revenue sports didn't pass the sniff test. These numbers come straight from the NCAA website. Click to enlarge the image. Now we know not to trust Business Insider.

ncaa-revenue.jpg

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Love how you want to talk about how UVA's natty is now in the past. Guess what? So are all of UK's nattys. You might go further in the tournament than UVA this year. Won't mean anything if you don't win it all.
Final four banners hang in all arenas. If they didn't mean anything they would not take the energy and expense to hang them. Kentucky has 17 final fours, 12 NCAA Championship games and 8 championship banners hanging in Rupp Arena. How many are hanging at UVA? Or would you prefer not to talk about anything but 1 Championship in the history of UVA basketball?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
You did not say that UVA's 1 natty is better than UK's 8. I do not fight those wars. UK's greatness has been going on for most of my life. I don't need to start a fight.

However, UK had it before UCLA and UK had it after UCLA.

Kentucky is Kentucky.

Kentucky has good basketball. UCLA does not have good basketball.

Reactions: kl40504
Final four banners hang in all arenas. If they didn't mean anything they would not take the energy and expense to hang them. Kentucky has 17 final fours, 12 NCAA Championship games and 8 championship banners hanging in Rupp Arena. How many are hanging at UVA? Or would you prefer not to talk about anything but 1 Championship in the history of UVA basketball?

I love how insecure you are. You feel the need to compare histories between UVA and UK after one championship by UVA. You can’t stand that Bennett has the same number of championships as Cal despite one being at UVA and the other being at UK. Can you imagine if Bennett wins another one before Cal does? Lmao

Yes, Kentucky is historically better than Duke. And just about every program in that era. That wasn't my argument. I'm simply saying it's much harder to win a tournament now than it was in 1948. I think most reasonable people would agree with that assessment. There are many factors, but the biggest reason is 6 > 3

Not invited? You realize there was no at-large bids, right? The ACC's first year was 1954. From 1954-1974 (last year before at-large bids) the ACC had 10 teams reach the Final Four, meanwhile the SEC had just 2 FF appearances. It's almost like the ACC was a better conference.
Bull shit.

I love how insecure you are. You feel the need to compare histories between UVA and UK after one championship by UVA. You can’t stand that Bennett has the same number of championships as Cal despite one being at UVA and the other being at UK. Can you imagine if Bennett wins another one before Cal does? Lmao
Bennett will be lucky to see another final four. You are so insecure that all you have to talk about is one lucky championship. Other than that UVA has no history to speak of in basketball. You guys have sucked for so long no wonder you are crowing about one championship. Enjoy it. It will be your last one for some time.

Bennett will be lucky to see another final four. You are so insecure that all you have to talk about is one lucky championship. Other than that UVA has no history to speak of in basketball. You guys have sucked for so long no wonder you are crowing about one championship. Enjoy it. It will be your last one for some time.

You mad?

Haha, if that happens,even I'll watch the meltdown on Rafters.

I am happy. Are you sad? I am sure you are really worried since Kansas is being investigated by the NCAA for all their cheating.

Nah, not at all. The athletic dept expects nothing major. Thanks for asking though.

Will it make you sad when they get a slap on the wrist at best? What will you do with your time then?

Nah, not at all. The athletic dept expects nothing major. Thanks for asking though.

Will it make you sad when they get a slap on the wrist at best? What will you do with your time then?
I doubt if you even get a slap on the wrist after what happened at UNC. The biggest cheaters in college basketball history received no punishment. If Kansas paid a few regular students along with the basketball recruits then they are good to go. The NCAA enforcement arm is a joke.

I doubt if you even get a slap on the wrist after what happened at UNC. The biggest cheaters in college basketball history received no punishment. If Kansas paid a few regular students along with the basketball recruits then they are good to go. The NCAA enforcement arm is a joke.

Not a joke. Corrupt. Welcome to the modern world.

The last thing they want to do is hammer one of their flagship programs.

Might as well get used to it. Nothing will change anytime soon. Unless you consider singling out a few individuals to be “change.”

As a fan of one of those programs, you might as well embrace it. The last thing you want is a legit NCAA sniffing around.

Reactions: kl40504
ADVERTISEMENT