ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats Michigan on being #1 "Best in College Sports".

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
Which college program had the best overall athletic season in 2018-19? We here at CBS Sports decided to find out -- just as we do every year -- by crunching the numbers at the conclusion of the athletic year in order to present our annual Best in College Sports award.

The result?

Despite not winning a national title over the course of the campaign, Michigan (501.75 points) earned the honor of being named 2018-19 Bests in College Sports in one of the closest finishes since the inception of the award. Kentucky finished second with 494.25 points, while Oklahoma was third with 490.00 points.

2psg01g.png

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ucky-to-bring-the-2018-19-award-to-ann-arbor/

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Well, winning the CWS is more significant than anything that the #1 team on the list you posted did

I’d take 2nd in that same CWS while also seeing good basketball (2 seed, Sweet 16) and football (10-3, top 15).

Sure winning the title is cool for Vandy but Michigan has been relevant year round.

Please... Texas Tech played in the basketball NC, final 4 in baseball, final 4 in tennis, won track and field (men’s) and made the post season in every sport except for football and women’s basketball.

Reactions: WestTexasRaider
I’d take 2nd in that same CWS while also seeing good basketball (2 seed, Sweet 16) and football (10-3, top 15).

Sure winning the title is cool for Vandy but Michigan has been relevant year round.
Michigan football continues to underachieve and get hammered by Ohio State.

That's in addition to our basketball championship Bertsky. Please tell me all about UK's championships this past year.
One Championship in basketball in the history of NCAA basketball. Wow. Compare that to eight for UK. Nice try though.

One Championship in basketball in the history of NCAA basketball. Wow. Compare that to eight for UK. Nice try though.

I didn't say it compared. You have a better history than us in basketball. Congrats. But we had a much better year than you guys did. Your coach has all the advantages that UK provides and only has one championship. Bennett has the same number as Cal despite far fewer advantages.

And we're a much better all around school and athletic program than you guys. Don't even try to compare us academically. Also, you have 11 national championships in total and 8 are from basketball. We have 27 national championships across a multitude of sports.

I didn't say it compared. You have a better history than us in basketball. Congrats. But we had a much better year than you guys did. Your coach has all the advantages that UK provides and only has one championship. Bennett has the same number as Cal despite far fewer advantages.

And we're a much better all around school and athletic program than you guys. Don't even try to compare us academically. Also, you have 11 national championships in total and 8 are from basketball. We have 27 national championships across a multitude of sports.
What sports? Underwater basketweaving? Lacrosse. Tidewater pussy volleyball? Come on.

To the bolded part above: Kentucky serves the state of Kentucky quite well; it is the flag ship school in a great area. UK Medical and Louisville Medical schools are very good at producing some very good doctors. They saved my ass from heart disease and cancer.

Kentucky agricultural and food production is far better than Virginia. So bring it on. Let us compare.

Reactions: hawkit3113
What sports? Underwater basketweaving? Lacrosse. Tidewater pussy volleyball? Come on.

To the bolded part above: Kentucky serves the state of Kentucky quite well; it is the flag ship school in a great area. UK Medical and Louisville Medicals school are very good at producing some very good doctors. They saved my ass from heart disease and cancer.

Kentucky agricultural and food production is far better than Virginia. So bring it on. Let us compare.

UVA >>>>>> UK academically.

Stay in your lane Bert.

Wow. UK also has two NCAA Rifle Championships and 24 National Cheerleading championships. So what. We are talking about basketball and UVA had one good year. No worry you will be back to normal next year. You lucked out to beat Auburn, a team that UK lost to in overtime after beating them twice earlier in the year. It is not like UVA was this big juggernaut.

Wow. UK also has two NCAA Rifle Championships and 24 National Cheerleading championships. So what. We are talking about basketball and UVA had one good year. No worry you will be back to normal next year. You lucked out to beat Auburn, a team that UK lost to in overtime after beating them twice earlier in the year. It is not like UVA was this big juggernaut.

Lol yeah 35-3 is so ****ing weak. You also lost to Auburn without Okeke. What happens if UK doesn’t win it all this year? I’ll take a natty and a normal year over whatever UK does in that scenario.

Lol yeah 35-3 is so ****ing weak. You also lost to Auburn without Okeke. What happens if UK doesn’t win it all this year? I’ll take a natty and a normal year over whatever UK does in that scenario.
One natty. Wow. UVA is awesome. Last year is in the past. Let's see what they do this year. I will bet that UK goes farther in the NCAA tournament than UVA this year.

One natty. Wow. UVA is awesome. Last year is in the past. Let's see what they do this year. I will bet that UK goes farther in the NCAA tournament than UVA this year.

Love how you want to talk about how UVA's natty is now in the past. Guess what? So are all of UK's nattys. You might go further in the tournament than UVA this year. Won't mean anything if you don't win it all.

Reactions: dukedevilz
, you have 11 national championships in total and 8 are from basketball. We have 27 national championships across a multitude of sports.

Yes, but people forget how prestigious national championships are in women's cross country and co-ed rifle.

Reactions: jhmossy
Just curious to look at which schools lead the way for all-time NCAA Titles. Not surprisingly, the California schools are at the top:

UCLA, 138
Stanford, 135
Southern California, 129
Penn State, 85
Cornell, 78
Yale, 78

It's funny when you look at how watered-down some of the non-revenue sports are. Take water polo, for example. There are 22 men's teams and 33 women's teams (D-1). The Pac-12 women have won all 19 national championships and the men have won 45 of the 50. Not all titles are equal.

Just curious to look at which schools lead the way for all-time NCAA Titles. Not surprisingly, the California schools are at the top:

UCLA, 138
Stanford, 135
Southern California, 129
Penn State, 85
Cornell, 78
Yale, 78

It's funny when you look at how watered-down some of the non-revenue sports are. Take water polo, for example. There are 22 men's teams and 33 women's teams (D-1). The Pac-12 women have won all 19 national championships and the men have won 45 of the 50. Not all titles are equal.

Not all men’s basketball championships are created equal. Five of Kentucky’s championships came before the modern tourney. There were only 32 teams in the 1978 tournament that UK won. Only 8 in 1948. But apparently that means as much as winning a 68 team tourney.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Not all men’s basketball championships are created equal. Five of Kentucky’s championships came before the modern tourney. There were only 32 teams in the 1978 tournament that UK won. But apparently that means as much as winning a 68 team tourney.

Agreed. Much, much more challenging nowadays. Shot-clock, 3-point line, eligible freshmen, at-large bids, more competitive teams. Kentucky's first 4 national championships comprised of just 14 wins.

Reactions: jhmossy

UCLA, 138
Stanford, 135
Southern California, 129
Penn State, 85
Cornell, 78
Yale, 78

My best friends boys each have an NCAA title in Sailing. Few Universities participate. Some of the championships are the result of selected sports that no one cares for.

Titles that matter are football, basketball, baseball, tennis, golf.... then it really falls off.

Agreed. Much, much more challenging nowadays. Shot-clock, 3-point line, eligible freshmen, at-large bids, more competitive teams. Kentucky's first 4 national championships comprised of just 14 wins.

I totally disagree.

Damned, if it was so easy then why didn't Duke win them?

This is the same old warn out theme used all the time. If Duke was so good why not win a title before 1991? Why did they let UNC win in 1957 if they were so great.

The deal is that those games were against top teams. Then the middle of the roaders, like Duke, simply were not invited.

Back in the old days when Duke and Kentucky were in the same conference why did UK win? Eyeroll

Last edited:
I totally disagree.

Damned, if it was so easy then why didn't Duke win them?

This is the same old warn out theme used all the time. If Duke was so good why not win a title before 1991? Why did they let UNC win in 1957 if they were so great.

The deal is that those games were against top teams. Then the middle of the roaders, like Duke, simply were not invited.

Back in the old days when Duke and Kentucky were in the same conference why did UK win? Eyeroll

So you admit that UCLA's 11 titles are better than UK's 8 titles? You kinda have to now.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT