ADVERTISEMENT

Champions Classic - 2 weeks

There's also been 3 AP Player of the Year winners out of the 7 seasons the Classic has been played. 2 of those guys also won the Naismith and Wooden award.

I'm sure there's been a bunch of 1st team All American's as well. Kansas has 3 that I know of.

1st Team All-Americans... let's see. 11 1st Team All-Americans in 7 years. Not bad.

2018: D.Graham (Kansas), M.Bagley (Duke)
2017: F.Mason (Kansas)
2016: D.Valentine (Michigan State), T.Ulis (Kentucky)
2015: J.Okafor (Duke), W.Cauley-Stein (Kentucky)
2014: J.Parker (Duke)
2013: None
2012: A.Davis (Kentucky), D.Green (Michigan State), T.Robinson (Kansas)

Silvio will have to sit out until the NCAA re-clears him. Wont even play in exhibition games until they vet him again b/c Kansas didn't know about all the info or allegations against him that were revealed at trial.
Kansas never seems to know. Funny this keeps happening. One player after the other. Looks like Self and Townsend have connected with the underground of college basketball.

Kansas never seems to know. Funny this keeps happening. One player after the other. Looks like Self and Townsend have connected with the underground of college basketball.
Seems to be that way for every school. And I sure hope basketball staffs have connections everywhere or they wouldn't deserve their huge salaries.

Reactions: KisteK
Did he start for KU last year? Not trying to be a wise ass, honestly don't know.
No. Joined halfway through the season. We played 4 in and 1 out. He backed up Dok.

Self even said when he is going 100% he is our best big man over Dok and Lawson. Per minute he was our best big last year. He was raw and late to the party. He is a stud. Hope he gets to play.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
No. Joined halfway through the season. We played 4 in and 1 out. He backed up Dok.

Self even said when he is going 100% he is our best big man over Dok and Lawson. Per minute he was our best big last year. He was raw and late to the party. He is a stud. Hope he gets to play.

Me too. Again, these kids are my entertainment. I wouldn't even have tv without sports. Let them play ball and sports enthusiast all win.

Seems to be that way for every school. And I sure hope basketball staffs have connections everywhere or they wouldn't deserve their huge salaries.
Kansas keeps having eligibility issues every year. Is that happening at Duke and some of the other top programs.

Kansas keeps having eligibility issues every year. Is that happening at Duke and some of the other top programs.
No---def not. Its annoying it keeps happening---but its bc we keep taking flyers on high risk guys. But--we follow exactly what the ncaa tells us to. It does get old having a stud sit on the bench but of they cant follow the rules before they get here---they deserve it and we have to accept their actions. Certainly seems like we sit guys when their eligibility is in concern.

Reactions: kl40504
1st Team All-Americans... let's see. 11 1st Team All-Americans in 7 years. Not bad.

2018: D.Graham (Kansas), M.Bagley (Duke)
2017: F.Mason (Kansas)
2016: D.Valentine (Michigan State), T.Ulis (Kentucky)
2015: J.Okafor (Duke), W.Cauley-Stein (Kentucky)
2014: J.Parker (Duke)
2013: None
2012: A.Davis (Kentucky), D.Green (Michigan State), T.Robinson (Kansas)
Tack on 2nd and 3rd team AA and this list gets pretty long. I know UK has had at least 3 2nd teamers in that time frame; MKG, KAT, and Monk.

Tack on 2nd and 3rd team AA and this list gets pretty long. I know UK has had at least 3 2nd teamers in that time frame; MKG, KAT, and Monk.

The list is very long, indeed. 26 All-Americans over a span of 8 years. Kansas has led the way with 9 All-Americans during that period. There were 5 All-Americans represented in both the 2012 and 2016 seasons. Also, I can't help but notice that Kentucky has had 3 All-Americans on this list with hyphenated names (tough break for Gilgeous-Alexander).

Kansas (9):
2018- Devonte' Graham (1st)
2017- Frank Mason (1st), Josh Jackson (3rd)
2016- Perry Ellis (2nd)
2014- Andrew Wiggins (2nd)
2013- Ben McLemore (2nd), Jeff Withey (3rd)
2012- Thomas Robinson (1st), Tyshawn Taylor (3rd)

Kentucky (8):
2017- Malik Monk (2nd)
2016- Tyler Ulis (1st), Jamal Murray (3rd)
2015- Willie Cauley-Stein (1st), Karl-Anthony Towns (2nd)
2014- Julius Randle (3rd)
2012- Anthony Davis (1st), Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (3rd)

Duke (6):
2018- Marvin Bagley (1st)
2017- Luke Kennard (2nd)
2016- Grayson Allen (3rd)
2015- Jahlil Okafor (1st)
2014- Jabari Parker (1st)
2013- Mason Plumlee (2nd)

Michigan State (3):
2018- Miles Bridges (2nd)
2016- Denzel Valentine (1st)
2012- Draymond Green (1st)

No---def not. Its annoying it keeps happening---but its bc we keep taking flyers on high risk guys. But--we follow exactly what the ncaa tells us to. It does get old having a stud sit on the bench but of they cant follow the rules before they get here---they deserve it and we have to accept their actions. Certainly seems like we sit guys when their eligibility is in concern.
The NCAA is telling kansas to have Self arrange payments for recruits? Doesn't seem very fair to the rest of college basketball...

RollLaugh

All 4 teams were top 5 last year.

2017/18
#1 Duke
#2 Michigan St.

#4 Kansas
#5 Kentucky

2016/17
#1 Duke
#2 Kentucky
#3 Kansas
#12 Michigan St.

2015/16
#2 Kentucky
#4 Kansas
#5 Duke
#13 Michigan St.

Green = Made the Final Four

Red = Missed the Final Four

Champions Classic, not Final Four Classic.... thankfully.

Last edited:
Reactions: Global Havok
Coach K.
lol.gif

"Duke was the last program to enter the race with Ellis with the Blue Devils waiting until five star prospect Bryan Antoine made his college decision. Antoine, of course, picked Villanova, leaving head coach Mike Krzyzewski and company scrambling to find another shooting guard prospect. Ellis was the player they found and Duke immediately offered a scholarship, with Coach K explaining the delay in recruiting Ellis more fully.

"Hey, you know, I'm a loyal guy," the Duke head coach told Ellis and his AAU coach Marshawn Cherry. "I've been talking to these two kids (Antoine and Josiah James who committed to Tennessee) forever. Now we didn't get them. They told me they were coming. So I didn't offer any other guys because I'm loyal."

Wendell Carter's mom says hi.

Reactions: JDMEvergreen
The NCAA is telling kansas to have Self arrange payments for recruits? Doesn't seem very fair to the rest of college basketball...

RollLaugh
Again...if you haven't heard, we are super likable and Bill Self just cracks beers with everyone. Its a Kansas thing and its not fair. Im kinda expecting Self to file a grievance against the NCAA b/c we only have one title in the last 10 years.

Coach K.
lol.gif

"Duke was the last program to enter the race with Ellis with the Blue Devils waiting until five star prospect Bryan Antoine made his college decision. Antoine, of course, picked Villanova, leaving head coach Mike Krzyzewski and company scrambling to find another shooting guard prospect. Ellis was the player they found and Duke immediately offered a scholarship, with Coach K explaining the delay in recruiting Ellis more fully.

"Hey, you know, I'm a loyal guy," the Duke head coach told Ellis and his AAU coach Marshawn Cherry. "I've been talking to these two kids (Antoine and Josiah James who committed to Tennessee) forever. Now we didn't get them. They told me they were coming. So I didn't offer any other guys because I'm loyal."

Wendell Carter's mom says hi.
Is it weird for you that Wendell Carter mom was behind the Duke bench last week for CtC in full on Duke fan mode? Of course the media, which is known to be anti Duke, wouldn't spin her words like Wendell himself said.

Is it weird for you that Wendell Carter mom was behind the Duke bench last week for CtC in full on Duke fan mode? Of course the media, which is known to be anti Duke, wouldn't spin her words like Wendell himself said.
That couldn't have been cheap.

Preseason vs Final AP rankings:

2017/18
#1 Duke..... #4
#2 Michigan St...... #11

#4 Kansas..... #3
#5 Kentucky..... #17

2016/17
#1 Duke..... 13
#2 Kentucky..... #5
#3 Kansas..... #4
#12 Michigan St...... Unranked