ADVERTISEMENT

Champions Classic - 2 weeks

KUhawks34

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2006
2 weeks away. I’m fired up to see the season tip-off. Will take some time for this team to gel but I am excited about this Kansas team. Always enjoyed Selfs teams that were a little bit more physical, tough and defensive minded. It remains to be seen if we are but I think this team has as good of a shot as any that we have had in awhile to get back to that mindset and style of play.

2 weeks away. I’m fired up to see the season tip-off. Will take some time for this team to gel but I am excited about this Kansas team. Always enjoyed Selfs teams that were a little bit more physical, tough and defensive minded. It remains to be seen if we are but I think this team has as good of a shot as any that we have had in awhile to get back to that mindset and style of play.
Before UK and Duke fans take over, how do you think you guys match up with MSU?

Reactions: tw3301
Is this going to be the most loaded CC yet? Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas are all top 4 to star the year. MSU is top 10. I'm sure there have been similar rankings in the past, but man are these teams loaded.

Before UK and Duke fans take over, how do you think you guys match up with MSU?
I think we match up well. MSU is usually a physical team and I think that will be our strength as well. I think we can get their post players in foul trouble with our depth.

Maybe I am underestimating MSU but I think we win by 10+. I really like this years squad.

As long as Dotson, Moore, Grimes and Vick can be consistent from the 3 I think we have a very potent offense. I don’t see many teams being able to match us inside if any at all. Silvio DeSousa would start for any team in the country.

MSU does have a experienced backcourt I believe and we will be playing some new faces so as long as we take care of the ball I think we win this going away. I’m very high on this Kansas team but I also understand it is going to take some time to get to where Self wants.

Fired up for the UK game at Rupp

I think we match up well. MSU is usually a physical team and I think that will be our strength as well. I think we can get their post players in foul trouble with our depth.

Maybe I am underestimating MSU but I think we win by 10+. I really like this years squad.

As long as Dotson, Moore, Grimes and Vick can be consistent from the 3 I think we have a very potent offense. I don’t see many teams being able to match us inside if any at all. Silvio DeSousa would start for any team in the country.

MSU does have a experienced backcourt I believe and we will be playing some new faces so as long as we take care of the ball I think we win this going away. I’m very high on this Kansas team but I also understand it is going to take some time to get to where Self wants.

Ward and Tilman are tough in the front court for MSU. Outside of them we will rely on two true frosh and 5th year senior Kenny Goins (whos undersized).

Winston and Langford are now juniors and should be a very solid backcourt combo. McQuaid comes off the bench as a senior along with Henry (SG) and Loyer (PG) (both frosh) at the guard spots.

Not sure who MSU will start at the 3. The most talented 3 MSU has is freshmen Gabe Brown and he will play a lot just not sure if he will start.

Last edited:

MSU definitely won't have the roster talent that Kansas (or UK / Duke) have this season. Lost our 2 lotto picks (Miles Bridges and JJJ) and brought in a few mid-level 4-stars.

Juniors Cash Winston, Nick Ward, and Josh Langford (only 5-star on roster) are the core.

What is Kansas' projected starting lineup this season?

MSU definitely won't have the roster talent that Kansas (or UK / Duke) have this season. Lost our 2 lotto picks (Miles Bridges and JJJ) and brought in a few mid-level 4-stars.

Juniors Cash Winston, Nick Ward, and Josh Langford (only 5-star on roster) are the core.

PG.) Devon Dotson - Fr
SG.) Quentin Grimes - Fr
SF.) LaGerald Vick - Sr
PF.) Dedric Lawson -Jr
C.) Udoka Azubuike- Jr

Bench
PF.) Silvio DeSousa So
PG/SG.) Charlie Moore So
Will be the main reserves

KJ Lawson, Marcus Garrett, Mitch Lightfoot and David McCormack will round out the rotation.

Some think Moore may start over Dotson. It will be interesting to see how we use KJ Lawson.

Our 3 main post players should all average 10+ points. Lawson, Dok and DeSousa

Self hasn't confirmed anything on starters yet, BUT, they will probably be:

Dotson or Moore
Grimes
Vick
Lawson
Udoka

BENCH:

Dotson or Moore
Garrett
K. Lawson
DeSousa (we shall see haha)
Lightfoot
McCormack

I have a feeling SDS will have an injury in the coming few days and is likely to miss the start of the season. It may not improve, costing him this season. Have to wait and see.

I have a feeling SDS will have an injury in the coming few days and is likely to miss the start of the season. It may not improve, costing him this season. Have to wait and see.

Won't mysteriously get an injury. He will play in the exhibition games. Around 2-3 hours before the Champions Classic we will hear about SDS not playing. SDS will not play first semester. Start of 2nd semester we will hear SDS either leaving KU to train for the draft or sign a contract with a foreign team.

Reactions: GLR5555
Whats the story... UK fans found a way to buy via the MSU ticket office?
yes, as well as Duke and KU ticket office.

Not kidding, your code was passed around.

That's what we do...

Again, not being an ass.I posted here a couple weeks ago.

UK fans will take your seats before our own.

UL guy said "that's why everyone hates UK fans"

UK fans will out number the others combined.

Last edited:

That's what we do...

Its not surprising. We did the same thing to Stanford for the Rose Bowl (thats how I got my tickets).

MSU ticket office blows. Consistently, for years.

Is this going to be the most loaded CC yet? Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas are all top 4 to star the year. MSU is top 10. I'm sure there have been similar rankings in the past, but man are these teams loaded.

All 4 teams were top 5 last year.

2017/18
#1 Duke
#2 Michigan St.

#4 Kansas
#5 Kentucky

2016/17
#1 Duke
#2 Kentucky
#3 Kansas
#12 Michigan St.

2015/16
#2 Kentucky
#4 Kansas
#5 Duke
#13 Michigan St.

Green = Made the Final Four

Red = Missed the Final Four

Preseason vs Final AP rankings:

2017/18
#1 Duke..... #4
#2 Michigan St...... #11

#4 Kansas..... #3
#5 Kentucky..... #17

2016/17
#1 Duke..... 13
#2 Kentucky..... #5
#3 Kansas..... #4
#12 Michigan St...... Unranked

2015/16
#2 Kentucky..... #16
#4 Kansas..... #3
#5 Duke..... #18
#13 Michigan St...... #7

2017/18
#1 Duke..... #4
#2 Michigan St...... #11

#4 Kansas..... #3
#5 Kentucky..... #17

2016/17
#1 Duke..... 13
#2 Kentucky..... #5
#3 Kansas..... #4

2015/16
#2 Kentucky..... #16
#4 Kansas..... #3
#5 Duke..... #18
#13 Michigan St...... #7
giphy.gif

2017/18
#1 Duke..... #4
#2 Michigan St...... #11

#4 Kansas..... #3
#5 Kentucky..... #17

2016/17
#1 Duke..... 13
#2 Kentucky..... #5
#3 Kansas..... #4

2015/16
#2 Kentucky..... #16
#4 Kansas..... #3
#5 Duke..... #18
#13 Michigan St...... #7
What kind of gay uses preseason rankings?

Its that Mich St. jelly dripping out your slip?

Reactions: JDMEvergreen

That's what we do...

You know which sections are for which school fans?
Originally thought I was in Section 13(think that might of been MSU), but tickets came in and we are actually section 1 row 13.

That's what we do...

That’s not why we hate Kentucky fans...

You know which sections are for which school fans?
Originally thought I was in Section 13(think that might of been MSU), but tickets came in and we are actually section 1 row 13.
The guy that said "this section" knew the school. He actually said, this is Duke section buy buy buy.

Silvio DeSousa will not be playing for Kansas.

Ayton got what? $1 Million and still played? SDS got $2,500 for some online classes. Dude will be playing.

College basketball has kinda snuck up on me quicker than any year I can remember. To be fair, I have had a little football to watch this year SmokinSmile

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
2017-18 Champions Classic had #1 Duke taking on #2 Michigan State, and #4 Kansas against #5 Kentucky. The Classic showcased 6 of the top 12 picks in the 2018 Draft (Bagley, Jackson, Carter, Knox, SGA, Bridges).

2014-15 Champions Classic had 3 of the Final 4 Teams. 7 of the top 15 picks in the 2015 Draft played in the CC (KAT, Okafor, Cauley-Stein, Winslow, Lyles, Booker, Oubre)

2013-14 featured #1 Kentucky against #2 Michigan State... #4 Duke vs #5 Kansas was the other matchup, which happen to have the first 3 picks in the 2014 Draft (Wiggins, Parker, Embiid) as well as 8 total first round picks (Randle/Young-UK; Payne/Harris-MSU; Hood-Duke were the other 5 first-rounders).

2011-12 Champions Classic had Kansas against Kentucky; both teams advanced to the National Championship game.

2017-18 Champions Classic had #1 Duke taking on #2 Michigan State, and #4 Kansas against #5 Kentucky. The Classic showcased 6 of the top 12 picks in the 2018 Draft (Bagley, Jackson, Carter, Knox, SGA, Bridges).

2014-15 Champions Classic had 3 of the Final 4 Teams. 7 of the top 15 picks in the 2015 Draft played in the CC (KAT, Okafor, Cauley-Stein, Winslow, Lyles, Booker, Oubre)

2013-14 featured #1 Kentucky against #2 Michigan State... #4 Duke vs #5 Kansas was the other matchup, which happen to have the first 3 picks in the 2014 Draft (Wiggins, Parker, Embiid) as well as 8 total first round picks (Randle/Young-UK; Payne/Harris-MSU; Hood-Duke were the other 5 first-rounders).

2011-12 Champions Classic had Kansas against Kentucky; both teams advanced to the National Championship game.
There's also been 3 AP Player of the Year winners out of the 7 seasons the Classic has been played. 2 of those guys also won the Naismith and Wooden award.

I'm sure there's been a bunch of 1st team All American's as well. Kansas has 3 that I know of.

Silvio DeSousa will not be playing for Kansas.
Silvio will have to sit out until the NCAA re-clears him. Wont even play in exhibition games until they vet him again b/c Kansas didn't know about all the info or allegations against him that were revealed at trial.

ADVERTISEMENT