ADVERTISEMENT

Champ Week - Thursday Edition

sgrooms

Jan 27, 2010
Here are some of the bigger games today (ranked teams in bold) There are no Championship games today, not even from the smaller conferences.

Akron vs Buffalo
Providence vs Villanova
NC State vs Virginia
Virginia Tech
vs Florida State
TCU vs Kansas State
Nebraska vs Maryland
Boise State vs Nevada
Missouri vs Auburn
Louisville vs North Carolina
West Virginia vs Texas Tech
St John's vs Marquette
Syracuse vs Duke
Texas vs Kansas
Indiana vs Ohio State
Iowa State vs Baylor
UConn vs South Florida
Arkansas vs Florida
Creighton vs Xavier
Penn State vs Minnesota
Alabama vs Ole Miss
New Mexico vs Utah State
Texas A&M vs Mississippi State
Illinois vs Iowa
Georgetown vs Seton Hall

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I think Duke may have received a better draw than UNC and Virginia, even though they're the lower seed. I'd rather play Cuse than Louisville, not sure about NCST.

I think Duke may have received a better draw than UNC and Virginia, even though they're the lower seed. I'd rather play Cuse than Louisville, not sure about NCST.
I agree. Louisville will be a tough out.

Anxious to see how tonight goes. I'm suspect Tyus Battle will play. Sucks that Bolden is out; kid has had a solid year. Curious to see what happens with Zion. This seems like an important tournament for Duke to get back on track; if we lose, does that really indicate the team is weaker than we thought, or is it likely to be more rust.

Reactions: sgrooms
Yeah, Duke has a relatively easy game against a 'Cuse team that either won't have Battle or will have an injured Battle. He is really the only guy that can elevate that team against an elite level team like Duke. UNC will face a tougher task but both teams should win and if they don't it is kind of on them.

Reactions: lerario and GE Nole
I got a feeling about this UL matchup. Everyone is anticipating a 3rd game with Duke and I’m hoping the players aren’t looking ahead.

I've never cared less about an ACC tournament than this one. I just want to be healthy for the NCAA tournament. If that means losing today, so be it. I know that's not how Bennett and the players approach the tourney though.

Anxious to see how tonight goes. I'm suspect Tyus Battle will play. Sucks that Bolden is out; kid has had a solid year. Curious to see what happens with Zion. This seems like an important tournament for Duke to get back on track; if we lose, does that really indicate the team is weaker than we thought, or is it likely to be more rust.

Boeheim yesterday:
“We thought (Tuesday) during the walk-through that Tyus had a reasonable chance to play today,” Boeheim said. “When he came in today, he was worse. He fell on his back. It’s just a bad bruise. We thought he had a chance to go. But he’s probably, realistically, two or three days away from being able to play."

I don't know how much we'll miss Bolden vs Syrcause, but we'll definitely miss him vs UNC if we play again.

If Tyus Battle isn’t playing, absolutely Duke got the best draw.

I got a feeling about this UL matchup. Everyone is anticipating a 3rd game with Duke and I’m hoping the players aren’t looking ahead.

Yeah, the pre-Duke/Carolina games can definitely be a bit of a trap.

Any chance at a W today?

Highly unlikely. We are an unusual team right now whereas we basically started a new season after our loss to Texas where two starting upperclassmen were dismissed from the program which allowed a much needed youth movement. The results havent been spectacular but we are unquestionably a more cohesive unit since the dismissals and have knocked off TCU, OU, and ISU in that stretch for a 3-5 (.375) record compared to 2-9 (.181) prior, additionally the losses have been much more competitive than prior to the dismissals.

So basically we are not a typical last place team but still not that good, if TT doesn't come to play they could get caught with their pants down like when TCU took out KU a few years ago prior to TCU emerging into a legitimate program, but if TT hits us with a haymaker (11-2 or more run) we likely wont get up from the mat and it could get ugly.

Prediction - the game script runs similar to Pitt-Syracuse yesterday, we may get up on them early, possibly take a lead into the break, but when they catch us the legs will give out and we will fold.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiTownSean
Nova-Prov - I bet Butler yesterday and could not believe the beatdown Prov put on them, they are red hot right now, if they get past Nova they could be a bid stealer.

IU-tOSU - Elimination game, I know its been a polarizing topic around here because of SOS, but seriously you shouldn't be able to lose your way into the tournament, even if IU wins just way too many Ls for my liking.

UVA-NCS - NCS caught fire in the 2nd half vs Clemson and haven't looked back yet, I think they need this one to punch their ticket after the St Mary's snub last year. The committee's favorite excuse for leaving a team out is lack of OOC strength and I heard yesterday NCS is last here.

59-43 in both the UVA/NCST and OSU/IU games. Somehow, Indiana fans will think they still have a chance at making the tourney.

George Mason winning the battle of the George's right now, up 47 to 44 against George Washington.

Also, the Virginia game had more offense in the first half than VT vs FSU. This game is brutal.

Last edited:
VT with one of their worst shooting games of the season and somehow still in it today.

VT with one of their worst shooting games of the season and somehow still in it today.

What a horrible shot by Kabengele at the end there. Sucks for them to up the entire game and lose the lead in the final minute.

Game should be over. They called a horrible goaltend on FSU earlier

Not hating OT though

ADVERTISEMENT