ADVERTISEMENT

Chalk heavy Sweet 16

They were also limited to the round of 32 a consecutive 5 years before that. If we’re strictly sticking to the past 5 years, then 1-7 vs AP top 10 is ugly. 13-10 vs AP top 25, 10 of those 13 wins were against #21-25.

5 straight S16 appearances is decent, but they’ve done nothing past that. Yeah, they reached the E8 in 2015. They scored playing a #11 seed. In ‘17 they got a #11 and a #7 seed in the E8 / F4 games.

I get that you can make plenty of examples of teams advancing by facing weak seeds past the S16 so how about this... When’s the last time Gonzaga made a STATEMENT in the tournament? As in, actually beat a top 10 team?

They were runner up in 2017 and narrowly lost to UNC. I don't know the exact stats but they are clearly up there with Duke, UK, UNC, etc in terms of churning out NBA talent in the past 10 years or so. As for beating a "top 10" team, its not their job to make sure a top 10 team runs into them before the Final Four.

I love it. Keep telling us how bad Oregon is and how we are going to get killed when we play someone outside the PAC. We'll just keep winning SmokinSmile

What he is telling you are facts

You just can't accept it for some reason

2nd time in 7 years Oregon made the sweet 16 after the committee made them a 12 seed as the PAC 12 Champions. I love the fact the Ducks are giving the finger to the committee and their "advanced metrics"
The committee did their job correctly. They don't seed teams based on, what have you done for me lately. It's based on the full body of work.

As long as they keep calling the hideous West Coast Conference their home I'm going to keep calling them Mid Major.

What other conference could Gonzaga possibly play in that makes geographical sense? Pac-12 ain't taking a Jesuit school anytime ever.

Top 14 teams on kenpom left and then LSU at 18 and Oregon at 29. I'm really looking forward to this weekend. Plus the top 14 with great play could all get their offensive and defensive efficiency into the top 20 with a run.

Yeah, I said in the dark horse thread that I really didn't see there being a dark horse this year. Kind of makes for a lackluster tournament. Especially when you got dummies like me taking chances on my brackets.

What other conference could Gonzaga possibly play in that makes geographical sense? Pac-12 ain't taking a Jesuit school anytime ever.

Not too privy to the ins and outs of the MWC, but why wouldnt they take them in the same way the AAC added Wichita State? That would be a mutual upgrade IMO, the WCC outside of St. Mary's is a joke, atleast the MWC has some depth, the Zags would likely get a competitive game more than once per season in conference play.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Yeah, I said in the dark horse thread that I really didn't see there being a dark horse this year. Kind of makes for a lackluster tournament. Especially when you got dummies like me taking chances on my brackets.

So you're saying you didn't take your own advice?

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
You were 15-12 at one point. Finished 6th in a terrible conference...had to win the Pac-12 tourney to get in.

WTF seed did you expect?

I get it...You guys are balling right now. Playing great ball. But two weeks of good basketball, doesn't dismiss 3 months of a shit show.
I think he is talking about the women

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I thought this was pretty crazy (from SBNation):

There have only been two NCAA tournaments where three teams from the same conference have earned No. 1 seeds: This one and ten years ago in 2009.

Oddly, this year’s tournament so far has played out almost exactly like the one a decade ago did.

2009: 1, 2, 3, 4 | 1, 2, 3, 4 | 1, 2, 3, 5 | 1, 2, 3, 12

2019: 1, 2, 3, 4 | 1, 2, 3, 4 | 1, 2, 3, 5 | 1, 2, 3, 12

In that tournament, the No. 1 overall seed (Louisville) was beaten in the Elite Eight by second-seeded Michigan State. In this tournament, the No. 1 overall seed (Duke) would have the potential to play second-seeded Michigan State ... in the Elite Eight.

The only double-digit seed to make the second weekend in ‘09 was an underachieving but talented Arizona squad out of the Pac-12 that beat a 13-seed in the second round. The only double-digit seed to make the second weekend this year is an underachieving but talented Oregon squad out of the Pac-12 that beat a 13-seed in the second round.

They were runner up in 2017 and narrowly lost to UNC. I don't know the exact stats but they are clearly up there with Duke, UK, UNC, etc in terms of churning out NBA talent in the past 10 years or so. As for beating a "top 10" team, its not their job to make sure a top 10 team runs into them before the Final Four.

Current NBA players by college
1. UK 30
2. Duke 25
3. UNC 13
(Tied at) 37. Gonzaga 3

I personally can’t place the Zags in the elite group without seeing them beat an elite team in the tournament. They’re 1-16 vs elite (top 10) teams the past decade in general and 0-7 in the NCAA T in that regard... To top it off, they are 0-7 while losing by an average of 17 points. It may not be their job to face an elite team but it has happened 7 times in 10 years resulting in loss.

Reactions: sgrooms

Are you speaking of Gonzaga? Look at BeerPoisoning post and explain what you meant. Do you follow the sport?

1. UK 30
2. Duke 25
3. UNC 13
(Tied at) 37. Gonzaga 3

I personally can’t place the Zags in the elite group without seeing them beat an elite team in the tournament. They’re 1-16 vs elite (top 10) teams the past decade in general and 0-7 in the NCAA T in that regard... To top it off, they are 0-7 while losing by an average of 17 points. It may not be their job to face an elite team but it has happened 7 times in 10 years resulting in loss.

Not too privy to the ins and outs of the MWC, but why wouldnt they take them in the same way the AAC added Wichita State? That would be a mutual upgrade IMO, the WCC outside of St. Mary's is a joke, atleast the MWC has some depth, the Zags would likely get a competitive game more than once per season in conference play.

The Mountain West would be an upgrade, yes. And they actually flirted with that idea just last year. WCC did everything they could to keep Gonzaga. They decreased the conference games from 18 to 16 - and they get a double bye into the conference tournament semifinals. That's big in helping Gonzaga's resume because it's two less games with potentially sub-200 programs (they will still play Saint Mary's and BYU twice) and they don't have to play a meaningless quarterfinal game in the WCC Tourney.

The biggest factor, however, is that the WCC isn't requiring an equal distribution of the units earned by Gonzaga in each tournament game. They get to keep a larger chunk of tournament revenue. Also, let's keep in mind that Gonzaga has significant number of WCC games that are televised on ESPN - whereas the major MWC games are on the CBS Sports Network. Pretty big difference in ratings.

1. UK 30
2. Duke 25
3. UNC 13
(Tied at) 37. Gonzaga 3

Hey do you mind posting an extended list. Curious to see a top 10-15.

The Mountain West would be an upgrade, yes. And they actually flirted with that idea just last year. WCC did everything they could to keep Gonzaga. They decreased the conference games from 18 to 16 - and they get a double bye into the conference tournament semifinals. That's big in helping Gonzaga's resume because it's two less games with potentially sub-200 programs (they will still play Saint Mary's and BYU twice) and they don't have to play a meaningless quarterfinal game in the WCC Tourney.

The biggest factor, however, is that the WCC isn't requiring an equal distribution of the units earned by Gonzaga in each tournament game. They get to keep a larger chunk of tournament revenue. Also, let's keep in mind that Gonzaga has significant number of WCC games that are televised on ESPN - whereas the major MWC games are on the CBS Sports Network. Pretty big difference in ratings.

Wow they're basically the Texas of the WCC.

The Pac 12/10 did take Gonzaga at one point in time. Back in 1982 to 1995 Gonzaga was apart of the Pac 10 in baseball. I wouldn't be shocked if Gonzaga joins them in basketball if the money is right.

As far as major conferences go it's Pac 12 or bust.

Reactions: dukedevilz
The Pac 12/10 did take Gonzaga at one point in time. Back in 1982 to 1995 Gonzaga was apart of the Pac 10 in baseball. I wouldn't be shocked if Gonzaga joins them in basketball if the money is right.

A couple more years like this year and last year for the PAC they may be forced to add them to save face. Its almost impossibly bad for a power conference to be that bad in basketball for consecutive seasons, if there are deeper issues keeping the league down then the PAC needs to take drastic measures to turn the tide, and adding Gonzaga basketball may be the shot in the arm it needs.

I suppose it's always a possibility, I just think the chances are very, very remote. Everything I have read indicates that Pac-12 schools are trying to stay away from any university affiliated with a religion. Keep in mind that things are quite a bit different from the 80's and 90's; the Pac-12 has a few of the most liberal schools in the country.

I was wrong, for some reason I thought they have been having 1+ players drafted each year for awhile now.
Good response. You apparently are a good broker. West Virginia guys are usually wonderful, honest folks.

By the way, just remember that I screw up often. So the next time I screw up, please forgive me.Winking

Reactions: xWVU2010x
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT