ADVERTISEMENT

Can the zags finally get it done?

Yup, still an international flair. Bay Area basketball isn’t good enough to keep St Mary’s competitive so bringing in international players is important.

That freshman big who is playing well was a 4 star freshman from the Pacific Northwest.
Do San Fran and Santa Clara take the same approach? I have never really paid much attention to anyone outside Gonzaga and St. Mary's.

Nice block by Chet.
HappygoluckyCornyBrontosaurus-size_restricted.gif

• Haha
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
It starts on defense. If the Zags want to mount a comeback they better start playing it.

Yeah, the "not close" part was definitely off. St. Mary's has been good but there have been some really solid mid-majors that have made nice runs in the NCAAT over the past 15 years. As far as consistency goes though, he's probably right (if we are excluding Gonzaga).
I think Wichita’s been more consistent though. More tourney appearances. Ranked in the top 10 several times. A final four appearance. A 1 seed. St Mary’s has done none of those things and their tourney appearances have been sporadic.

Wichita is probably going downhill without Marshall though.

Do San Fran and Santa Clara take the same approach? I have never really paid much attention to anyone outside Gonzaga and St. Mary's.
A little bit. Both have international players at different times. USF more than Santa Clara.

Santa Clara has the most money in the WCC. They have a great campus, a great arena and a good academic reputation. Gonzaga’s fear would be if SCU ever got good at basketball. They’ve put money in and have tried. Just have never been able to get over the hump. They’d be a tourny team this year if their center (best player) didn’t get mono this year.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I think Wichita’s been more consistent though. More tourney appearances. Ranked in the top 10 several times. A final four appearance. A 1 seed. St Mary’s has done none of those things and their tourney appearances have been sporadic.

Wichita is probably going downhill without Marshall though.
That's true. St. Mary's has gone to more NITs than NCAATs in the past 15 years. I didn't realize that until I looked just now.

A little bit. Both have international players at different times. USF more than Santa Clara.

Santa Clara has the most money in the WCC. They have a great campus, a great arena and a good academic reputation. Gonzaga’s fear would be if SCU ever got good at basketball. They’ve put money in and have tried. Just have never been able to get over the hump. They’d be a tourny team this year if their center (best player) didn’t get mono this year.
Yeah, Santa Clara seems fancy. I drove around in that neck of the woods when I was in the Bay area for a football game a couple years ago.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Yeah, Santa Clara seems fancy. I drove around in that neck of the woods when I was in the Bay area for a football game a couple years ago.
It’s a good school with a ton of money. They’ve given the school a major face lift over the last 15 years. I grew up in Santa Clara and still live in San Jose. Santa Clara has grown a ton lately. It’s now the school that locals go who don’t get into UC Berkeley and Stanford, which still brings in a high quality student.

St Mary’s hasn’t played well enough in the second half to still have this large of a lead. Gonzaga just not playing well enough.

ADVERTISEMENT