ADVERTISEMENT

Can the zags finally get it done?

RockChalk82

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2019
Haven’t watched them much at all this year. But seemingly would be a year they could do it. Last year Baylor and Zags were so far above anyone else. This year it’s more spread out.

seems like anyone of about 10 teams could win it this year.

with that said, they have a lot of experience from last years runner up team. That will matter in March.

I think they're a lot better than last year's team, especially depth wise. Would like to see more run given to Hickman cause I think they'll need the extra punch he can deliver come tourney time.

I have not seen them play too much, so I come with questions for the room.

Really one question. The D. I saw Alabama make them look like some old dudes at the Y. Was that an anomaly? Have they made changes to the rotation since then? They just looked real slow on the perimeter that night, the 15 min I watched.

You gotta get stops in the NCAAs can they do it?

Reactions: englandnu
It’ll be based off of who they have to play in the tournament.

Gonzaga loses to teams that are overly athletic and long. If you can press and speed up GU’s guards then you have a good shot. Also Timme is still a liability on defense, especially in the pick and roll. Kentucky and Oscar scares me. Obviously Duke since they beat them already.

Im hoping Arizona loses and drops to the 2 seed in their bracket. If that happens, then I think they have a great shot at a Final 4 and then it’s anyone’s game.

Gonzaga loses to teams that are overly athletic and long. If you can press and speed up GU’s guards then you have a good shot. Also Timme is still a liability on defense, especially in the pick and roll. Kentucky and Oscar scares me. Obviously Duke since they beat them already.

Im hoping Arizona loses and drops to the 2 seed in their bracket. If that happens, then I think they have a great shot at a Final 4 and then it’s anyone’s game.
so same as last year basically. Are they more or less athletic this year? I was thinking more. They don't have Cispert who was completely exposed athletically in the tourney. Timme was exposed as well, but i would imagine having Chet there will help with that.

Last year Watson was terrible, but this year he looks really good.

Nembhard isn't as good as Suggs in terms of NBA prospect, but he might be a better college PG for this team.

Bolton and Strawther both look good.

I think the key is finding bigger roles for Hickman and Sallis. They could be needed come tourney time especially if Timme gets neutered.

so same as last year basically. Are they more or less athletic this year? I was thinking more. They don't have Cispert who was completely exposed athletically in the tourney. Timme was exposed as well, but i would imagine having Chet there will help with that.

Last year Watson was terrible, but this year he looks really good.

Nembhard isn't as good as Suggs in terms of NBA prospect, but he might be a better college PG for this team.

Bolton and Strawther both look good.

I think the key is finding bigger roles for Hickman and Sallis. They could be needed come tourney time especially if Timme gets neutered.
Honestly its the same description every year for Gonzaga. Taller, athletic teams have given GU trouble in every tournament.

I don't think they are more athletic this year but they are way longer and have much better rim protection which is great. Last year, Kispert primarily played the 4 and they started 3 guards. That really put Timme in a bad position, especially since they had no depth behind him. This year, Chet is a 7 foot power forward and their small forward is 6'7 in Strawther.

3 Reasons why Baylor crushed GU.

1. They were more athletic
2. They got a ton of offensive rebounds
3. They made over 40% from 3

A team who is capable of doing all three of those things in one game is a hell of a team.

If I was rooting for Gonzaga, I would be hoping that Arizona wins out and gets the one seed in the east bracket. Why would you want a team that’s long, very athletic, that can shoot well from three in your bracket? Isn’t that the recipe to beat the Zags?

If I was rooting for Gonzaga, I would be hoping that Arizona wins out and gets the one seed in the east bracket. Why would you want a team that’s long, very athletic, that can shoot well from three in your bracket? Isn’t that the recipe to beat the Zags?
I think that their talent level is a little overstated honestly. GU has had the PAC 12's number for a while now.

I think they're a lot better than last year's team, especially depth wise. Would like to see more run given to Hickman cause I think they'll need the extra punch he can deliver come tourney time.

They have no guard close to Suggs though. Chet changes things since he's a monster defensively but not having a lottery talent at guard hurts.

Gonzaga would probably run with Kentucky which only plays into their advantage imo. Slow Kentucky down and they aren't that scary. The two teams that I think have a decent chance against Gonzaga are Duke (obviously) and Purdue.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Imagine regions being really broke up into regions. This is the South's best team, this is the North, Midwest West.

Imagine regions being really broke up into regions. This is the South's best team, this is the North, Midwest West.
I mean they try to do that. Everyone complains about GU getting an easy 1 seed every year, but it wouldn't be easy if the PAC 12 has been better lately. This will likely be the first year where GU and a P-12 team get a 1 seed.

Reactions: englandnu
I think that their talent level is a little overstated honestly. GU has had the PAC 12's number for a while now.
Fair enough. I would favor the Zags right now against Arizona fwiw. They have the experience and I believe Arizona is the third youngest team in the country. However having Mark Few’s right hand man as their head coach certainly helps with scouting etc. I just don’t think Arizona is the type of team that I would want to ideally face in the tournament if I was Gonzaga. I would hope that someone else knock’s them out. As I college basketball fan, I think that would be a great game for the national championship and a great storyline.

They have no guard close to Suggs though. Chet changes things since he's a monster defensively but not having a lottery talent at guard hurts.

Gonzaga would probably run with Kentucky which only plays into their advantage imo. Slow Kentucky down and they aren't that scary. The two teams that I think have a decent chance against Gonzaga are Duke (obviously) and Purdue.
All I know is that Oscar scares the crap out of me. Dude dominated GU last year until he fouled out.

And yes they don't have an NBA guard who is starting (Hickman and Sallis may get there but aren't there right now). But I do like Nembhard's control and Bolton has been a great pickup.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Fair enough. I would favor the Zags right now against Arizona fwiw. They have the experience and I believe Arizona is the third youngest team in the country. However having Mark Few’s right hand man as their head coach certainly helps with scouting etc. I just don’t think Arizona is the type of team that I would want to ideally face in the tournament if I was Gonzaga. I would hope that someone else knock’s them out. As I college basketball fan, I think that would be a great game for the national championship and a great storyline.
It certainly would! The West Coast needs a National Champion in a bad way.

I think the 2 seed line is pretty dangerous right now. A lot of inconsistency but some great teams when on their "A" game.

All I know is that Oscar scares the crap out of me. Dude dominated GU last year until he fouled out.

And yes they don't have an NBA guard who is starting (Hickman and Sallis may get there but aren't there right now). But I do like Nembhard's control and Bolton has been a great pickup.
Big fan of Hickman.

Kessler would neutralize holgren or timme. And Gonzaga has no one to guard Jabari. If auburn plays Gonzaga Jabari will show why he should be the number 1 pick over that twig

Kessler would neutralize holgren or time. And Gonzaga has no one to guard Jabari. If auburn plays Gonzaga Jabari will show why he should be the number 2 pick over that twig
Maybe, people thought the Mobley brothers would neutralize Timme last year...... They didn't

He's gonna be great next year. Him and Hunter Sallis at the 1 and 2 could be special. Hopefully Strawther stays too. Bigs will all be interesting but GU produces big men as good as anybody so I'm not too worried.
That back court alone will keep Gonzaga in all conversations.

I don't agree with that. Nembhart is in the running for All American. Just by that they have a guard close to Suggs.

Oscar is really good. But Timme can battle him and Chet is about 700 times better than Brooks. Would need a big game from Tyty. Wonder if the other Zags fan gonna come back this year? So sad he never came back after Y'all lost to Baylor lol.

Neither mobley is at the defensive level of Kessler. Kessler is doing things defensively that haven’t been done in years

You mean the best defensive rookie in the NBA???

I don't agree with that. Nembhart is in the running for All American. Just by that they have a guard close to Suggs.

Nembhard isn't in the same realm as Suggs was.

Player A: 12.6ppg on efg% .406, .367 fg%, .228 3fg%, 3.1 rpg, 4.4 apg, 1.3spg

Player B: 10.5ppg on efg% .519, .448 fg%, .330 3fg%, 3.3 rpg, 5.6apg, 1.7spg

Which player you like there, A or B?

I think you are right about one thing, it's really not that close.

Yup. Suggs is much better. There's a reason he was the fifth pick in the draft and Nembhard isn't even on most mocks.

No idea who those guys are either. Suggs was basically a 15/5/5 guy in college. 50/34/75 splits.

Wait are you using Suggs NBA stats as a negative? LMAO

Reactions: WeAreDePaul

Why are you comparing NBA stats with collegiate stats? If you want to make any comparison, use the numbers for Jalen Suggs from last year.

Candace Parker might have better stats than Marvin Bagley, but that doesn't mean she's a better player.

You want to be in the same region as Arizona? That seems odd to me. They're the #2 team by almost every metric.

You talked about Gonzaga's weak spot being teams that are long and athletic. I mean, that kind of fits the profile of Arizona.

Yup. Suggs is much better. There's a reason he was the fifth pick in the draft and Nembhard isn't even on most mocks.

No idea who those guys are either. Suggs was basically a 15/5/5 guy in college. 50/34/75 splits.

Wait are you using Suggs NBA stats as a negative? LMAO

lol, didn't realize i was comparing college to pro stats. I think we all know now why I stay away from stats.
And here I was thinking I was making an awesome point based on stats.

Oscar is really good. But Timme can battle him and Chet is about 700 times better than Brooks. Would need a big game from Tyty. Wonder if the other Zags fan gonna come back this year? So sad he never came back after Y'all lost to Baylor lol.

You mean the best defensive rookie in the NBA???

Lol that Gonzaga fan was only here for like a week. I bullied him pretty good and he got the picture that he was not wanted here. Dude was a clown.

lol, didn't realize i was comparing college to pro stats. I think we all know now why I stay away from stats.
And here I was thinking I was making an awesome point based on stats.

Nembhard is serviceable, he's just not at the level Suggs is. Good news is there just aren't a ton of high level back courts this year.

Timme has great post moves. I would love to see that matchup.

Would love to see a Chet/Jabari matchup. No idea how it would go. I would lean Chet because he's better defensively but Jabari's ability to score from the perimeter off the dribble is special.

Nembhard is serviceable, he's just not at the level Suggs is. Good news is there just aren't a ton of high level back courts this year.

Would love to see a Chet/Jabari matchup. No idea how it would go. I would lean Chet because he's better defensively but Jabari's ability to score from the perimeter off the dribble is special.
They are different defenders. Can Chet match up 1-5 if necessary? I’m legit asking. I haven’t watched enough of him.

ADVERTISEMENT