ADVERTISEMENT

Cal must go

From my understanding, when he does step down/retire as coach, he'll still be involved in a more administrative role. He can hand-pick his replacement basically but also still work at UK.
Then Kenny Payne will be your coach. lol

Back to the OP, two weeks ago when Kentucky beat Tennessee, Cal was a god, now he’s garbage……

Well now that paying players is legal, Kentucky isn’t as attractive. Calipari is attractive to recruits because of how many he’s put in the league, I’m not sure you can look at past history with how the landscape has changed and claim Kentucky is still the gold standard. Players are looking for the best financial deal

Well now that paying players is legal, Kentucky isn’t as attractive. Calipari is attractive to recruits because of how many he’s put in the league, I’m not sure you can look at past history with how the landscape has changed.
They finally put together a proper NIL collective. Late to the party (thanks Barnhardt), but from my understanding, it should be pretty, pretty, pretty good.
Also, players like primetime time slots and all the attention on the biggest networks. Kentucky will always be attractive.

UK dominates attention.

Reactions: Blue_White_KY
They finally put together a proper NIL collective. Late to the party (thanks Barnhardt), but from my understanding, it should be pretty, pretty, pretty good.
Also, players like primetime time slots and all the attention on the biggest networks. Kentucky will always be attractive.

UK dominates attention.

Nobody said Kentucky wasn’t attractive, just players like Rex Chapman could be paid wherever they want to go and not just at Kentucky.

Reactions: della
From my understanding, when he does step down/retire as coach, he'll still be involved in a more administrative role. He can still work at UK.

Special AD Assistant page 9

I’m not sure why he would though. Nearly $1 million a year for 30 years doesn’t move the needle as much as over $30 million right now with the time value of money. Speaking strictly from a financial perspective, I’d much rather either keep collecting the $9 million per year or have the $30+ million in a lump sum.

Reactions: cdbearde
Nobody said Kentucky wasn’t attractive, just players like Rex Chapman could be paid wherever they want to go and not just at Kentucky.
they could have done that all along. Same with Duke and UNC. Top players want to play on the biggest stage.

If Calipari leaves, or say takes the special assistant to AD, we'll bring in a coach that everyone loves their coach's style and how they "do it the right way" and UK will keep on truckin'. Of course, that coach everyone liked somewhere else will then get dissected in a way they've never had happen before.

But, they will have the full support of the BBN and the tools not available to them at their current job.

People should be wishing Calipari stays at UK.

I’m not sure why he would though. Nearly $1 million a year for 30 years doesn’t move the needle as much as over $30 million right now with the time value of money. Speaking strictly from a financial perspective, I’d much rather either keep collecting the $9 million per year or have the $30+ million in a lump sum.
I understand, but it's basically retirement pay (1+million a year), and he still gets to be part of the game he loves and devoted his life to.

they could have done that all along. Same with Duke and UNC. Top players want to play on the biggest stage.

If Calipari leaves, or say takes the special assistant to AD, we'll bring in a coach that everyone loves their coach's style and how they "do it the right way" and UK will keep on truckin'. Of course, that coach everyone liked somewhere else will then get dissected in a way they've never had happen before.

But, they will have the full support of the BBN and the tools not available to them at their current job.

People should be wishing Calipari stays at UK.
Then why did Gillispie have trouble getting the players? It’s about the 💰 don’t kid yourself thinking it’s not.

Then why did Gillispie[sic] have trouble getting the players? It’s about the 💰 don’t kid yourself thinking it’s not.
Probably because he was a drunk, too busy f^cking current players' girlfriends, and had the personality of a wolverine.

But that's just one of the 2 coaches who didn't win a title out of the last 7 and was only here for 2 years.

A little reaching.

*It would be interesting to see how many coaches other teams have gone through since their last Championship.

Then why did Gillispie have trouble getting the players? It’s about the 💰 don’t kid yourself thinking it’s not.
So you are saying that you would like to have Cal take over at UofL, I understand, Pitino did good for you guys, maybe not as good as he did at UK, but real good. 👍

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
So you are saying that you would like to have Cal take over at UofL, I understand, Pitino did good for you guys, maybe not as good as he did at UK, but real good. 👍
We just fired Cal’s son, definitely don’t want that guy.

• Haha
Do you mean the guy who won all those games?

That was a fun quip while it lasted.
you still in denial this morning? I have been right on cal for 6 years and you have continually defended him. Fare more than other UK fans even

2024-2025 season better be a transition. Bring in someone new. Let Cal help him recruit and be on player relations.

• Haha
2024-2025 season better be a transition. Bring in someone new. Let Cal help him recruit and be on player relations.
Your idea sounds great. But do you really think Cal's ego would let him step down to that role? I am asking a serious question bud.

Also, I wonder what coach would come to UK knowing they have to listen to coach Cal.
Cal would have to be out of the picture to get a good, seasoned coach in "my opinion", which don't mean much. 👍

Last edited:

With the portal it doesn't need to be a transition. Find the right guy, kick Cal to the curb and it's fine.

Your idea sounds great. But do you really think Cal's ego would let him step down to that role? I am asking a serious question bud.
Ok pal.

No, probably not but he also claims to be here for the players so…now its time to step up for them and step back

Well now that paying players is legal, Kentucky isn’t as attractive. Calipari is attractive to recruits because of how many he’s put in the league, I’m not sure you can look at past history with how the landscape has changed and claim Kentucky is still the gold standard. Players are looking for the best financial deal
Yeah, but if you look at the players Cal has "put in the league" how many of them weren't going to the NBA if they didn't play at UK?

Most of these kids already have the NBA looking at them when they’re in HS and even someone that sucks in college (BJ Boston), still ends up in the league.

Heck, look at DJ Wagner and Justin Edwards, they were #1 and #5 on the draft boards prior to playing at UK and Cal started them every game. They aren't even showing in the 2nd round now. If Cal was doing something magical, they would still be lottery picks.

Cal just puts them on the biggest stage and the players do the work.

Reed and Rob were guys Cal shoved to the side to help the other two and they're the ones going lottery, they earned it, Cal didn’t do shit but put them on the back burner and only play them because he had to.

Cracked me up when he said in a pre-game interview that nothing is handed to you at Kentucky. Meanwhile, he brings two players off the bench that are clearly better than the more hyped players starting in front of them. 🤣
I wish I could disagree with you, but there is only one reason you would play the lineups Cal played all year.
We have the one coach that would ever even think about starting DJ and Edwards and not play the line-up that opposing coaches refer to as 'the nuclear line-up'. He goes out of his way to not play the 3 R's together. Blows my mind.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Cracked me up when he said in a pre-game interview that nothing is handed to you at Kentucky. Meanwhile, he brings two players off the bench that are clearly better than the more hyped players starting in front of them. 🤣

Don't think they started together once this year. Mindblowing

recruiting for high schoolers sure. transfer refruiting is more important now

He's done well with transfers too.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
ADVERTISEMENT