ADVERTISEMENT

Brad Stevens OUT as Celtics head coach

But there's an off season. When it's the off season in the NBA they spend time with family, vacation, etc. College coaches recruit, do summer workouts, etc. College coaches worry about kids getting in trouble, who they're hanging around, what they're doing, families, handlers, etc. NBA coaches worry about coaching, that's it. You can try to convince yourself if it makes you feel better about Howard but it's not true.

There’s pros and cons to both jobs. It’s not crazy to see why some coaches prefer college or crazy to see why some coaches prefer the NBA.

Regardless of what Howard considers a better job for him, I don’t see him leaving before Jett and Jace out done at Michigan.

Lolno. How many guys actually offered nba jobs have turned them down? I think Cal did. K did 20 years ago. Not many more than that.

Quite a few have. Others, like Roy Williams, have been contacted by NBA teams and told them thanks but no thanks before it got anywhere near an offer stage.

North Carolina head coach Roy Williams has always said that is a college coach. That the college game and the college culture fits him better. He likes recruiting. He likes molding and working with young players. He likes the pageantry and community that college sports provide. Coach Williams is a regular at UNC football, baseball, women's soccer, and women's field hockey games, just to name a few.

Coach Williams is a college coach.

But there have been times when the NBA has been interested in Coach Williams. And times when Williams showed some intrigue in testing his coaching prowess at the highest level of the game too.

During his coaching career, multiple NBA teams have reached out to Williams to gauge his interest. The actual number of teams that have done that is pretty shocking.
"My wife and my children help me keep score on this and we stopped doing it --- 14 different NBA teams have contacted me, but this is over 32 years," Williams told Josh Graham on The Drive radio show."The Lakers and Celtics were two teams that talked to me about it. It was many years ago, four, five, six years I guess was the last time. I kept it out of the media completely, but there were two teams that talked to me at that time, but I have always thought I was a college coach.
"Only two of the conversations sort of had more than just an opening phone call. They were very short-lived. Both times there or four or five phone calls over a period of four or five days and that has been it."

ADVERTISEMENT