ADVERTISEMENT

Bennett extends contract, declines raise

What if UVA continues to win in football? Would be strange if Mendenhall surpassed Bennett's salary.

What if UVA continues to win in football? Would be strange if Mendenhall surpassed Bennett's salary.

Not sure it would be strange since football > basketball when it comes to money. But Bronco is never winning a national championship in football at UVA.

Not sure it would be strange since football > basketball when it comes to money. But Bronco is never winning a national championship in football at UVA.

Yeah, I get that football makes substantially more money. But I see UVA as a current top 5 basketball program with a future HOF coach. Now I'm curious to see which schools pay their basketball coach more. Off the top of my head, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and Virginia. Maybe UNC? There aren't many, but Bennett is more deserving in this case.

Reactions: jhmossy
Yeah, I get that football makes substantially more money. But I see UVA as a current top 5 basketball program with a future HOF coach. Now I'm curious to see which schools pay their basketball coach more. Off the top of my head, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and Virginia. Maybe UNC? There aren't many, but Bennett is more deserving in this case.
I think Texas Tech vaulted Chris Beards salary into the top 5. That’s according to the Tech guys that have been coming around lately.

USA Today published salaries of head coaches from 2018-19 in football and basketball. If these numbers are accurate, the following schools (power schools only) pay their basketball coach more:

Duke
Kansas
Kentucky
Virginia
Louisville
UNC
West Virginia
Indiana
Maryland
Oregon
Missouri
Arizona
Syracuse
Notre Dame (what!?)
Arizona State
Oregon State

and Texas Tech would be added to the list, if included for the 2019-20 fiscal year.

If only there were more Tony Bennetts in the world.
Wish I could still find a picture that has Tony Bennett the singer, Tony Bennett the Packer, and Tony Bennett the UWGB basketball player (and currently UVa head coach) on it at the same time. Saw it one time at Buckyville.

Never say never Mossy. Bennett's style will never win a NC.
It’s a nice gesture.

I feel like the fact that he took an added year extension - assuming guaranteed - in lieu of the money, in order to get his staff raises is a pretty solid negotiation, not exactly charity.

I don't believe he can coach so poorly that his job would be in question. I would be willing to bet that he'll be there until he retires. He said in the paper today that him and his wife love living in Charlottesville and wants to give back to the school and players. He's giving a half million to the school.

I'm treading lightly here because I think this is a genuinely great thing Bennett is doing...... butttttttt........ He's one of the highest paid coaches in the game. Does he deserve to be one of the highest paid? Yes. It's just worth noting that declining a raise means a little less to him than a coach making 1 or 2 Milly.

I'm treading lightly here because I think this is a genuinely great thing Bennett is doing...... butttttttt........ He's one of the highest paid coaches in the game. Does he deserve to be one of the highest paid? Yes. It's just worth noting that declining a raise means a little less to him than a coach making 1 or 2 Milly.

Your comment reminds me of this quote:

"Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million." ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger

What is so great about not taking more money? Is UVA going to take that money declined by Bennett and help out those in need instead? (I admit to not knowing all the details as to why Tony declined the raise though.)

Bennett earned the raise, even if he decided to decline it. While it is a nice gesture on the surface (who knows what the real motivation is for doing this is) I hope more successful people who have worked their butts off for years and years do not take the same route. Most times financial compensation is the only reward for hard work and those opportunities do not come along very often.

What is so great about not taking more money? Is UVA going to take that money declined by Bennett and help out those in need instead? (I admit to not knowing all the details as to why Tony declined the raise though.)

Bennett earned the raise, even if he decided to decline it. While it is a nice gesture on the surface (who knows what the real motivation is for doing this is) I hope more successful people who have worked their butts off for years and years do not take the same route. Most times financial compensation is the only reward for hard work and those opportunities do not come along very often.

He was the 4th highest paid coach last year. He's not struggling. He says he wants to use the money offered to him to help out the basketball program and other athletic programs on campus. Whether that actually happens remains to be seen.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
He was the 4th highest paid coach last year. He's not struggling. He says he wants to use the money offered to him to help out the basketball program and other athletic programs on campus. Whether that actually happens remains to be seen.
Never said he was struggling. I am a big believer in those that have earned it, should take it when it is offered. JMO. I wish Bennett all the luck in the world getting that money offered to him re-appropriated to anything he is advocating. Maybe he has that kind of pull at UVA, but i am not sure there are 2-3 coaches in America who can get it done the way Bennett want it to get done. I commend him if though if that is his goal.

Some people don’t let greed affect their livelihood and happiness. Good on Bennett, some politicians in office could learn a thing or two from TB.

Reactions: AWilli6995
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT