ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Team PO's Millinennials

Not sure, though I do know lots of people with a couple degrees that make under 40k back in Louisville. Sometimes it’s about finding the right opportunity, and networking properly.
As do I----but I find in most cases the people I know chose a field where they knew the pay scale going into. They knew what kind of loans they took out and they knew the cost of living. Ive always believed that jobs should pay exactly what the job is worth and the market pretty much dictates that. If you choose a field/degree that is well known to be low paying---im not sure where anyone is supposed to feel sorry for them. Your skill set should be a heavy factor in whether you are at the top of your field or bottom. Are some professions generally underpaid for the work they do (i.e. education) sure, but there isn't a soul out there that isn't super informed about the reality of what you will get paid beforehand. I really think some majors need to be phased out b/c it gets people nowhere.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Weren’t you out of work not too long ago, Trey? Glad you’re back on your feet, but it probably wouldn’t have been as detrimental in a certain “era”.
Had all the work I needed. Not many illegals back then. Of course I was a jr. in high school, and doing jobs no self respected 2018 millinennial would dirty their hands with.

As do I----but I find in most cases the people I know chose a field where they knew the pay scale going into. They knew what kind of loans they took out and they knew the cost of living. Ive always believed that jobs should pay exactly what the job is worth and the market pretty much dictates that. If you choose a field/degree that is well known to be low paying---im not sure where anyone is supposed to feel sorry for them. Your skill set should be a heavy factor in whether you are at the top of your field or bottom. Are some professions generally underpaid for the work they do (i.e. education) sure, but there isn't a soul out there that isn't super informed about the reality of what you will get paid beforehand. I really think some majors need to be phased out b/c it gets people nowhere.
I can agree with some points in this, but certain generations promised certain “dreams”, that are no longer feasible nor attainable for “everyone”. It is what it is.

Drive the ky. Roads and tell me who are in the fields now. Even better, we’re you ever in a tobacco patch this time of year? Hauling hay, picking corn by hand, cucumbers, tomatoes?
Let me ask you who’s still wanting to landscape and roof houses? **** off with your bs farce stating millennial wont do certain jobs, neither will boomers, if anything boomers seem to be the laziest most complaining generation of all. You want to do the work, it’s there for you. I don’t see many white guys in their 40s and 50s itching to re tar a roof and put up some shingles.

I can agree with some points in this, but certain generations promised certain “dreams”, that are no longer feasible nor attainable for “everyone”. It is what it is.
I get it....but I also think the standards of "dreams" are wildly distorted in our current times. I think a lot of this generation looks to what their parents have now and don't realize all the years and struggle it took to obtain what they had.....and they want what people worked entire careers for by their late 20's and 30's. People spend way to much on non-essential things...so much so I'm not sure people can tell the difference. From diet, to technology, to hours worked, to clothing/shoes, managing time, prioritizing saving/spending. I'm in my 30's and it takes time to work the kinks out----hell, I'd be scared to really comb over where I'm blatantly wasting hard earned money.

I like to toss things at my wife when she's not paying attention. When said things inevitably fall to the floor, I tell her.... "nice millennial effort there babe."

Are these people millennials, or post millennials?

I was told that technically, I was a millennial. But according to this thread, I missed it by one year.

I get it....but I also think the standards of "dreams" are wildly distorted in our current times. I think a lot of this generation looks to what their parents have now and don't realize all the years and struggle it took to obtain what they had.....and they want what people worked entire careers for by their late 20's and 30's. People spend way to much on non-essential things...so much so I'm not sure people can tell the difference. From diet, to technology, to hours worked, to clothing/shoes, managing time, prioritizing saving/spending. I'm in my 30's and it takes time to work the kinks out----hell, I'd be scared to really comb over where I'm blatantly wasting hard earned money.
I agree 100% with this post.

Let me ask you who’s still wanting to landscape and roof houses? **** off with your bs farce stating millennial wont do certain jobs, neither will boomers, if anything boomers seem to be the laziest most complaining generation of all. You want to do the work, it’s there for you. I don’t see many white guys in their 40s and 50s itching to re tar a roof and put up some shingles.
I don't care what generation your from...roofing, plumbing, contracting, dirt work, landscaping, lawn care, welding, electrical, HVAC....these are jobs that have a progressive income scale. If you are motivated to make a great living and have the work ethic to back it up----these occupations are a license to print money (work ethic is the key b/c you don't have to be the best in these fields, you have to be proficient) People use people who show up on time, complete the job as stated, and will always use you again unless you price gouge.

I thankfully had to take out loans and repaid all of them 8 months ago. Being on your own from the start of our 18th birthday forces you to grow up exponentially. I’m 34, and still am learning to prioritize things in a certain manner that makes sense, and leads me in an upward state. As @toonces11 said, priorities are key in this day and age.

I don't care what generation your from...roofing, plumbing, contracting, dirt work, landscaping, lawn care, welding, electrical, HVAC....these are jobs that have a progressive income scale. If you are motivated to make a great living and have the work ethic to back it up----these occupations are a license to print money (work ethic is the key b/c you don't have to be the best in these fields, you have to be proficient) People use people who show up on time, complete the job as stated, and will always use you again unless you price gouge.
My good friend back in Louisville from high school didn’t like the books and went to trade school to become an electrician. He now makes close to 80-90k a year at my age. He put in the work, and developed a trade for life.

You need to get out of the city more often. I do work now you would never dare do, for the pay. And I am nearly 60yo diabetic on heart and sugar meds., with nerve damage to my feet. Don’t try to tell me what I won’t do. You don’t have a clue. Oh, and about being back on my feet. Thanks for asking. I took a 15k paycut, because at my old age, beggars can’t be choosers.

You need to get out of the city more often. I do work now you would never dare do, for the pay. And I am nearly 60yo diabetic on heart and sugar meds., with nerve damage to my feet. Don’t try to tell me what I won’t do. You don’t have a clue. Oh, and about being back on my feet. Thanks for asking. I took a 15k paycut, because at my old age, beggars can’t be choosers.
So, you’re blaming the “illegals” for all of this? Nice scapegoat, Trey.

So, you’re blaming the “illegals” for all of this? Nice scapegoat, Trey.
I’m not blaming anyone. Just telling you the real world I live in. I’m the type that don’t make excuses. With that said, I took the new job so my wife and I would have affordable health insurance. Not 401k, planned vacation, or retirement. I can only think day to day living. The debt I “earned” in my 40s and early 50s is not a top priority now. Just making it to the next check is. But blame someone else for this? No, uh uh.

Reactions: toonces11
I’m not blaming anyone. Just telling you the real world I live in. I’m the type that don’t make excuses. With that said, I took the new job so my wife and I would have affordable health insurance. Not 401k, planned vacation, or retirement. I can only think day to day living. The debt I “earned” in my 40s and early 50s is not a top priority now. Just making it to the next check is. But blame someone else for this? No, uh uh.
Sounds like you’re blaming someone.

My good friend back in Louisville from high school didn’t like the books and went to trade school to become an electrician. He now makes close to 80-90k a year at my age. He put in the work, and developed a trade for life.
Thats why I'm a huge supporter of Mike Rowe. If we had somebody with his principles and ability to reach all kinds of people---I think our country could actually quiet a lot of the political nonsense and actually get stuff done.

Sounds like you’re blaming someone.
Who am I blaming? Only one to blame is myself. And I'm not even doing that. You sound like you don't like the truth because you live in a protected bubble. This is real time, real life. No rainbows and unicorns. Got off at 7 this morn, after 12 hr. Shift. Watched some ESPN and world news while eating my prepared breakfast. Went to bed st 9:30. Woke at 1:30 by 3 grandkids wanting to see their papa. Body is exhausted, but mind awake, arguing with you about life. Gotta get up In an hour so i can start all over again.

Reactions: Mac9192
Who am I blaming? Only one to blame is myself. And I'm not even doing that. You sound like you don't like the truth because you live in a protected bubble. This is real time, real life. No rainbows and unicorns. Got off at 7 this morn, after 12 hr. Shift. Watched some ESPN and world news while eating my prepared breakfast. Went to bed st 9:30. Woke at 1:30 by 3 grandkids wanting to see their papa. Body is exhausted, but mind awake, arguing with you about life. Gotta get up In an hour so i can start all over again.
You wouldn’t last a day in East Bay. Everyone works hard, puts in max effort to achieve their earnings, quit being a bitch and buck up. Maybe you’re not blaming someone, but you’re sure making excuses.

You wouldn’t last a day in East Bay. Everyone works hard, puts in max effort to achieve their earnings, quit being a bitch and buck up. Maybe you’re not blaming someone, but you’re sure making excuses.
Yeah, hard work. Got me shaking in my steel toed boots.. you made any room in your bubble for any of those hard working homeless, shitting in the streets?

Yeah, hard work. Got me shaking in my steel toed boots.. you made any room in your bubble for any of those hard working homeless, shitting in the streets?
Lol, you seem to be in a bubble yourself if you think the people around YOU are the only ones who work hard. Take your own advice, “get out a little”.

So, your rebuttal is not being able to do basic mathematics? I literally said I was born in ‘84, that would make me 34. 1986 UofL beat Duke in their second national championship, that would be 32 years ago. Like I’ve stated, basic mathematics. Stay sharp.
Pretty sure I can do basic math, can you?

You said you were a "Young Gen Xer" So Generation X is 60s to 70s. So if you are a Young Gen Xer you couldn't of been born in 84.

But lighten up buttercup, it was a joke. No doubt by your response you are a millennial.

Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
That's normal. Every new generation is viewed as the worst one ever. The generation that fought and won WWII? Complete losers, according to the generation ahead of them. After all, WWI was fought by the real men. They didn't have the fancy high tech machines the WWII pussies had.

Comparison is not the same. Using the same situation as what you just said "generation that fought and won WWII? Complete losers, according to the generation that fought in WWII."

For your comparison to work I'd have to not be a millennial making fun of millennials.

Pretty sure I can do basic math, can you?

You said you were a "Young Gen Xer" So Generation X is 60s to 70s. So if you are a Young Gen Xer you couldn't of been born in 84.

But lighten up buttercup, it was a joke. No doubt by your response you are a millennial.
I stated initially I wasn’t sure what the age range is, “buttercup”, I also stated I was born in ‘84, so how exactly does that equate to the 25 years of living you mentioned in a prior post? Put your batteries in, bud.

Comparison is not the same. Using the same situation as what you just said "generation that fought and won WWII? Complete losers, according to the generation that fought in WWII."

For your comparison to work I'd have to not be a millennial making fun of millennials.

Your self-deprecating Millennial hate is abnormal. The normal part is the view that the youngest generation of teenagers/young adults is full of shitheads. Generation Z, or whatever we're calling the dudes born after Millennials, will be the worst thing since AIDS pretty soon.

Last edited:
Your self-deprecating Millennial hate is abnormal. The normal part is the view that the youngest generation of teenagers/adults is full of shitheads. Generation Z, or whatever we're calling the dudes born after Millennials, will be the worst thing since AIDS pretty soon.
Dudes were not born after millennials. Theybies were. Fvcking bigot.

Hated school. Every minute of it. Never finished college. Difference is I was programming since I was like 12. Was never even worried about it. Managing my second software department. Have had guys with masters under me. Based on my experience, I’m firmly in the camp that about 75% of college is a worthless racket.

Education is valuable. I love learning but I think the current model could be improved drastically. It’s not about the degrees you have but the knowledge you know. It’s the latter that generates value for companies.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
Dead serious when I’ve seriously considered attempting a startup around idea of skill based learning programs to replace or supplement college education. Have actually put a ton of thought on how it could be done more effectively and cheaper.

Hated school. Every minute of it. Never finished college. Difference is I was programming since I was like 12. Was never even worried about it. Managing my second software department. Have had guys with masters under me. Based on my experience, I’m firmly in the camp that about 75% of college is a worthless racket.

Education is valuable. I love learning but I think the current model could be improved drastically. It’s not about the degrees you have but the knowledge you know. It’s the latter that generates value for companies.
Agree with most of this, with the exception about the degrees one has. It doesn't keep you employed, but having a college degree gets you in more doors than without one in today's time.

Agree with most of this, with the exception about the degrees one has. It doesn't keep you employed, but having a college degree gets you in more doors than without one in today's time.

Nope. I don’t accept that. And in my opinion that’s an old school view. Although my view is very biased to IT / programming. But that’s also why I like IT. Things are more true and false, 1 or 0 and don’t require jumping through hurdles for proof of worthiness. It’s about skill.

Flaunt a degree, I’ll flaunt an app that’s bad ass and shows I’m one of the best. In my dream world, that’s what business would pay attention to and in my experience they have.

And while again biased, I come from a position of confidence because I’ve proved it to be true in my career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT