ADVERTISEMENT

As rosters stand now, how are we feeling, gents?

Hell I've been following UK longer than you've been alive lol You're always pessimistic or down on the Cats. I never really understood that from fans. You love the fact that most fans are just in a wait and see mode... very strange.

I'm pumped about this team. I like how the staff is charged and that the team is going to start playing / practicing June 1st. This is going to be a solid UK team.

We've got 3 proven shooters, a brut down low with a great motor, solid point guards, 3 really good recruits and an awesome coaching staff. What's not to like lol

Hell if I didn't enjoy my team, I wouldn't follow them.. All you younger guys should read Lonnie Wheeler's Blue Yonder, the United States of Basketball. I was one of the lucky ones that collaborated with Lonnie (RIP) back in the 90's through USENET. It goes into how BBN got its start...
Most fans are optimistic by nature. I'm not sure how anyone could watch last season and be thinking we will be taking down the elite teams of this coming year. That's honestly more blind homerism than anything.

I am pessimistic compared to the rafters crowd, but I have no problems pumping up the Cats when I think they deserve it.

You are acting like being pessimistic = not wanting to watch. And that is just an illogical statement. No one was more bent out of shape than me in 2015. But if you are looking for a place that is going to agree on everything positive you have to say about every UK team ever, this isn't the right board for you.

At UGA I’m not even sure we have enough players for a starting 5 right now. Everyone left.
It would be a waste of time for me to detail all of our transfers in at this point (a - it’s UGA basketball so who cares and b - I’m simply not the knowledgeable about it but I’m trying to be) but according to reporters and UGA basketball followers our transfers in to the program are supposed to be better than the 7-8 guys that transferred out. Latest transfer commit is Aaron Cook from Gonzaga who committed yesterday.

Not that it’ll happen anytime soon but I just want the program to get to the 15-20 ranked area like when Ezra Williams and Jarvis Hayes were in Athens. I just want to see something that’ll give me hope we can get in the tournament every now and then :(

flm1621903201.jpg

zx4TKyEjaG7ieQK1-C26xa3dMEVh3-efUo-muFdx4u4.jpg

It would be a waste of time for me to detail all of our transfers in at this point (a - it’s UGA basketball so who cares and b - I’m simply not the knowledgeable about it but I’m trying to be) but according to reporters and UGA basketball followers our transfers in to the program are supposed to be better than the 7-8 guys that transferred out. Latest transfer commit is Aaron Cook from Gonzaga who committed yesterday.

Not that it’ll happen anytime soon but I just want the program to get to the 15-20 ranked area like when Ezra Williams and Jarvis Hayes were in Athens. I just want to see something that’ll give me hope we can get in the tournament every now and then :(

flm1621903201.jpg

If UGA would just keep the top 3-4 out of the top ten in state with a decent coach, they’d kill it....

flm1621903201.jpg

Are you guys still in it for Tre Mitchell? That Bergeron is a piece of work, it seems.

I’ve noticed the folks that don’t appreciate history or tradition are the ones that don’t have it.

Still friends.
We can all appreciate Dinosaurs without any real need to consider them a threat today.

Still friends🙂

Reactions: RipThru
Chet and Timme in the same frontcourt is obscene. You could make an argument that those are the top two collegiate players going into next season.

Reactions: bignish
Chet and Timme in the same frontcourt is obscene. You could make an argument that those are the top two collegiate players going into next season.

And one is likely the number 1 pick and the other probably won't get drafted in the first round. Pretty crazy how players project to the NBA.

Color me skeptical that one of the scrawniest humans in existence is going to dominate college b-ball as a freshman.

Color me skeptical that one of the scrawniest humans in existence is going to dominate college b-ball as a freshman.
I’d normally agree for a 7 footer, but dude moves, handles, and shoots like somone that is much much smaller. He is a unicorn that we haven’t had in the college game since Durant (not saying he is or will be as good).

Chet doesn’t dribble too good. He has a high and slow dribble that he won’t be able to do at the next level. Other than that, he could be pretty good.

Chet doesn’t dribble too good. He has a high and slow dribble that he won’t be able to do at the next level. Other than that, he could be pretty good.
I disgree on the dribbling. Is he fcking Kyrie, obviously not, but he moves and dribbles just as well as Durant did at that age. Chet is a unicorn, and I’m psyched to see him play this year.

There is no doubt in my mind he is going to dominant at the college level. I don’t think he will have a super 25ppg type season like Durant, but he’s going to be a stud.

Reactions: VulvHa

Kevin Durant was just as scrawny. He won't be that good but he's super skilled. Won't have to go against bruisers with Timme back now too.

Kevin Durant was just as scrawny. He won't be that good but he's super skilled. Won't have to go against bruisers with Timme back now too.

And if he did go against bruisers those bruisers would have a harder time guarding him than vice versa.

There is no doubt in my mind he is going to dominant at the college level. I don’t think he will have a super 25ppg type season like Durant, but he’s going to be a stud.
Even if he fails, I am psyched to watch what happens. If I was a betting man, which obviously I am on a heavy level, it is that he will be very very good in the college game.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Who in the hell is he going to guard?

Who the hell does anyone at Gonzaga guard?

They will be an elite offensive team but the issue becomes can a team match them on that end of the court while being elite defensively.

I really don’t know much about this kid from Minnesota. How many games has he played against elite competition?
Definitely not getting that in Minnesota

????
Where do you get that. Even you at 7-1 could block shots playing high school basketball against subpar competition.
Not too hard.

Not every state has the same quality of HS Basketball. National AAU Tournaments are the only thing that people want to know.

Team Sizzle / Minnehaha played a loaded schedule.

Chet vs IMG Academy

Chet vs Sierra Canyon

Chet vs Ypsi Prep

Chet vs Air Nado

Those are some of the best HS teams in the cointry.

Geico tournament

Last edited:
????
Where do you get that. Even you at 7-1 could block shots playing high school basketball against subpar competition.
Not too hard.

Not every state has the same quality of HS Basketball. National AAU Tournaments are the only thing that people want to know.

From 247’s scouting report on him:

“Holmgren is as unique of a prospect as there has ever been in the national recruiting database era. Standing 7-feet tall with phenomenal length, Holmgren is a true game changer on the defensive end with his rim protection. He is the best shot-blocker in the country and definitely the best shot-blocker I have seen in high school basketball.

He additionally is one of the most versatile players in the senior class and while he fills the stat sheet in multiple categories and is extremely productive, his upside is still immense. He impacts the game in so many areas and plays with a huge chip on his shoulder. Even though his defense is ahead of his offense, he has elite ball skills on the perimeter as he can handle and shoot the basketball like a combo guard. Holmgren has the potential to be a generational talent with his unreal long-term tools. Eight months in a college weight training program will serve him well. His upside is clearly in his body as he needs to add weight and get stronger.”

• Wow
Durant was scrawny, but still quite a bit stronger than this guy. He was listed as 6’9 204 in HS. Holmgren is 7 ft 190.

Durant was scrawny, but still quite a bit stronger than this guy. He was listed as 6’9 204 in HS. Holmgren is 7 ft 190.

Even if he lost position all the way to the restricted zone, he’s still long and athletic enough to alter shots. But in this day and age there aren’t a lot of back to the basket post players who will get position like the routinely on him. And the ones that do and can still have to try and stop him on the other end.

I think Chet could stop Hunter Dickinson more often than Hunter Dickinson could stop Chet. And that’s one of the best centers in the country. He’s not going to face guys like that a lot.

From 247’s scouting report on him:

“Holmgren is as unique of a prospect as there has ever been in the national recruiting database era. Standing 7-feet tall with phenomenal length, Holmgren is a true game changer on the defensive end with his rim protection. He is the best shot-blocker in the country and definitely the best shot-blocker I have seen in high school basketball.

He additionally is one of the most versatile players in the senior class and while he fills the stat sheet in multiple categories and is extremely productive, his upside is still immense. He impacts the game in so many areas and plays with a huge chip on his shoulder. Even though his defense is ahead of his offense, he has elite ball skills on the perimeter as he can handle and shoot the basketball like a combo guard. Holmgren has the potential to be a generational talent with his unreal long-term tools. Eight months in a college weight training program will serve him well. His upside is clearly in his body as he needs to add weight and get stronger.”
"He's only ranked #1 because of his offer sheet" - Sheriff

Are you guys still in it for Tre Mitchell? That Bergeron is a piece of work, it seems.
According to one of our basketball guys Mitchell is supposed to decide this coming week between you guys and Georgia. I’m not sure how we could possibly sell him on us over yall, but Crean is coaching for his job this year so I hope he’s doing everything he can.

Reactions: cmore79
According to one of our basketball guys Mitchell is supposed to decide this coming week between you guys and Georgia. I’m not sure how we could possibly sell him on us over yall, but Crean is coaching for his job this year so I hope he’s doing everything he can.
Our basketball guys dont think hes coming to Illinois. Bergeron is mad that we had 3 assistant openings and didnt give him one.

Weight doesn't equal strength though. He has to get stronger obviously and a lot of his long term potential will be based on that but there aren't a ton of bigs that can do what he has flashed the ability of doing.

Weight doesn't equal strength though. He has to get stronger obviously and a lot of his long term potential will be based on that but there aren't a ton of bigs that can do what he has flashed the ability of doing.
I know that weight doesn't equal strength. I just think that Durant was noticeably stronger. And if they were the same height, he'd have had a pretty big weight advantage, which tells you how frail this guy is. Durant also put on a decent amount of weight before/during his year in college I think. We'll see if Holmgren can do that.

Plus, Durant was a more offensive and perimeter-oriented player. Holmgren's biggest strength is blocking shots.

ADVERTISEMENT