ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona needs a new coach

The good news for Arizona is that the NCAA will totally forgive a school who committed violations, but has fired their coach. No bans/probation or stripped title/games. LoLoLoL!!!!
They have probably been tipped off that he's going to get a show-cause.

Reactions: cdbearde
I don't like what he has to say, but that's not pertinent anyway. He's a basketball coach that uses press conferences as a platform to blabber about political nonsense.
Him being a basketball coach isn't pertinent either, politics effects everyone

Wouldn't it be great if we could have a postseason tournament where the coaches for the teams form pickup squads? That would definitely be entertainment

Out of all the job's that opened this year, this could be the best. Following a guy that seemed to be a jerk and did an avg job at best. Good tradition, great weather, etc. It really is a perfect spot for Pastner. He hasn't done great but I'll grant he's gotten better. He may be kind of lame but he seems to be a good guy.

He told GT that it'll take him 5 years to turn the program around and make the NCAA tournament. I'm not sure Arizona would be that patient.

He told GT that it'll take him 5 years to turn the program around and make the NCAA tournament. I'm not sure Arizona would be that patient.

5 years? What a loser. In college basketball, you can turn a program around in two years.

This isn't football

5 years? What a loser. In college basketball, you can turn a program around in two years.

This isn't football
Turning around at some programs is much different than others. Baylor was fairly patient. Az under the NCAA guns, much more than 2 years. If you're just getting rid of a bad coach and you're a p6 school, then 2 years is not unreasonable. Sanctions coming down I don't think so.

Reactions: hawkit3113
Yeah, these might be the best candidates with ties to the program. Pastner has obviously done a lot more with coaching than Stoudamire, but playing in the NBA for 13 years comes with a lot of clout when recruiting.

There's also Luke Walton and Steve Kerr. Don't think either would leave the NBA for a rebuild job, though.
Pastner and Walton are too white for today's culture. Kerr will get a pass because he's Mr Social Justice Warrior but he would be a fool to leave his current gig for a dumpster fire like Arizona..

They will get extra woke points for hiring Stoudemire so he's the clubhouse leader.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukedevilz
Pastner and Walton are too white for today's culture. Kerr will get a pass because he's Mr Social Justice Warrior but he would be a fool to leave his current gig for a dumpster fire like Arizona..

They will get extra work points for hiring Stoudemire so he's the clubhouse leader.
I'm not big into the NBA, but Kerr's seat has to be getting warm. I know Klay is out, but they're sitting in 10th place.

I'm not big into the NBA, but Kerr's seat has to be getting warm. I know Klay is out, but they're sitting in 10th place.

Right but I would assume an NBA will be available and he can ride his past accomplishments for a fresh 5 year deal vs. being setup to fail at Arizona? They are going to get leveled to the point K, Roy, Jackson, and Cal could all be on staff and it will still be a dumpster fire. Same thing is going to happen to Kansas.

Reactions: bMORE607
Right but I would assume an NBA will be available and he can ride his past accomplishments for a fresh 5 year deal vs. being setup to fail at Arizona? They are going to get leveled to the point K, Roy, Jackson, and Cal could all be on staff and it will still be a dumpster fire. Same thing is going to happen to Kansas.
That's true, some dumb organization like the Wizards (the reason I don't watch the NBA) would hire him in a heart beat.

Let's be honest, with the rosters he had during that title run you or I could've likely "coached" them to championships. The vast majority of NBA coaches aren't really anything more than glorified babysitters.

"Spread the court and let (insert any given team's superstar name here) iso at the top of the key." Takes a real brilliant basketball mind to do what these guys do I tell ya. 😆

Let's be honest, with the rosters he had during that title run you or I could've likely "coached" them to championships. The vast majority of NBA coaches aren't really anything more than glorified babysitters.

"Spread the court and let (insert any given team's superstar name here) iso at the top of the key." Takes a real brilliant basketball mind to do what these guys do I tell ya. 😆
Yea one of the gambling guys I follow on the twitter says he is a bottom 5 NBA coach, which seems preposterous.

• Haha
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Arizona has more talent than Georgia Tech did. Heck they probably have more talent than Georgia Tech does now.

That is his alma mater.
When I left Southern California in 2008. The Arizona name was as strong as any school in the country there.
Unless this has changed this is a no brainer for Pastner.

But GA Tech sits on talent...They haven't been able to get it.
I don't know how the GA Tech name is in Atlanta basketball circles.

But when it comes to it. .I would always go with the Nike school over the Adidas one.

Reactions: Villian07
That is his alma mater.
When I left Southern California in 2008. The Arizona name was as strong as any school in the country there.
Unless this has changed this is a no brainer for Pastner.

But GA Tech sits on talent...They haven't been able to get it.
I don't know how the GA Tech name is in Atlanta basketball circles.

But when it comes to it. .I would always go with the Nike school over the Adidas one.

Georgia has the second highest per capita of college basketball players in the country, only trailing the state of Maryland. So much talent in the Atlanta area. Pastner struggles to attract local talent, however. Most in-state recruits will put Georgia Tech on their top 5/10 list, but they usually end up signing with the likes of a Auburn, Florida State, or a blue blood.

Georgia has the second highest per capita of college basketball players in the country, only trailing the state of Maryland. So much talent in the Atlanta area. Pastner struggles to attract local talent, however. Most in-state recruits will put Georgia Tech on their top 5/10 list, but they usually end up signing with the likes of a Auburn, Florida State, or a blue blood.

Could be a win win situation for both schools if it happens.
I just don't know if Pastner is #1 on their list

On the otherhand who can attract that local talent at GA Tech.

Could be a win win situation for both schools if it happens.
I just don't know if Pastner is #1 on their list

On the otherhand who can attract that local talent at GA Tech.

Paul Hewitt was a good recruiter. Was consistently bringing in top 50 kids. Seemed like his teams underperformed relative to the talent on the roster, though.

Not sure Pastner is necessarily Arizona's top candidate. But, he at least had a successful season, so he probably merits some attention, and I imagine he'll at least get an interview. Tommy Lloyd and Damon Stoudamire might have a leg up on him.

dmet3rO.gif

If you include D.C it is the District of Columbia.
Louisiana because of its small population is on top. Mississippi is up there as well.

But both Georgia and Maryland aren't that far behind.
Louisiana only has a few million people. For such a low population they produce a lot in every sport.

I have said before..they are the only ones that can run with us in Texas...Slight nod to Mississippi.

NBA Players by Birthplace

Last edited:

lol yup. It's true.

Just for fun, I ran through all of the unique 1st Team All-Americans from this century that are American. 8 of the 97 are from Maryland. That's 8.2% of the 1st Teamers, while the state of Maryland represents only 1.8% of the U.S. population

Joe Forte, UNC
Juan Dixon, Maryland
Kevin Durant, Texas
Michael Beasley, Kansas State
Nolan Smith, Duke
Victor Oladipo, Indiana
Jerian Grant, Syracuse
Josh Hart, Villanova

• Sad
lol yup. It's true.

Just for fun, I ran through all of the unique 1st Team All-Americans from this century that are American. 8 of the 97 are from Maryland. That's 8.2% of the 1st Teamers, while the state of Maryland represents only 1.8% of the U.S. population

Joe Forte, UNC
Juan Dixon, Maryland
Kevin Durant, Texas
Michael Beasley, Kansas State
Nolan Smith, Duke
Victor Oladipo, Indiana
Jerian Grant, Syracuse
Josh Hart, Villanova
And we almost had none of the guys on the list. FeelsBadMan. Rudy Gay not make the first team with UCONN?

If you include D.C it is the District of Columbia.
Louisiana because of its small population is on top. Mississippi is up there as well.

But both Georgia and Maryland aren't that far behind.
Louisiana only has a few million people. For such a low population they produce a lot in every sport.

I have said before..they are the only ones that can run with us in Texas...Slight nod to Mississippi.

NBA Players by Birthplace

And I was speaking specifically about D1 players. You might be right about the NBA, though. Although the birthplace and the hometown aren't really the same thing. Lots of guys move when they're young. Michael Jordan is a North Carolina product, not a NYC product. But, here are the numbers for those recruited by D1 schools.

NCAA-Recruited-By-State.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT