ADVERTISEMENT

Are we ready to call it what it is yet?

Is the OAD experience a bust?

• Oh yeah

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • No. It will work eventually

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
I think it’s more subjective than that. You can’t win with a new roster every year but you can win with a star freshman or two.
Between OAD and covid, good luck getting the game back. You can win with a star freshman or two with solid veterans. That's been proven. You cannot win with a star freshman or two without experienced talent. That has also been proven.

Reactions: TDredbird
Eh, it's like anything else. Just depends on the makeup of the particular teams.

Covid has really messed it up this year. No extra time in the summer, limited practices early.

Covid has really messed it up this year. No extra time in the summer, limited practices early.

Bingo. It was pretty easy to see coming this year, that inexperienced teams would struggle early on.

I've always said we (UK fans anyway) will only deal with this bullshit system as long as the ends justify the means.

Well....

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
It's a little strange to me that the fans of the two programs who have their pick of the litter are the ones who complain the loudest about OAD.

Why not complain about your coach's recruiting strategy? He can literally have nearly anyone he wants. It's clear to everyone that the ideal roster has a bunch of 2-4 year vets with a few elite freshmen mixed in. Why can't they make it happen?

It's a little strange to me that the fans of the two programs who have their pick of the litter are the ones who complain the loudest about OAD.

Why not complain about your coach's recruiting strategy? He can literally have nearly anyone he wants. It's clear to everyone that the ideal roster has a bunch of 2-4 year vets with a few elite freshmen mixed in. Why can't they make it happen?

Because it would require a crappy couple of years to transition. In order to have 5 juniors and seniors, Kentucky would have to recruit a few guys in the 60-100 range. But since their team is currently all one and done types and grad transfers, they wouldn’t have anyone to be a vet yet. So for the first two years they would have no 3-4 year guys and their freshmen would be non-elite guys.

Reactions: Random UK Fan

Because it would require a crappy couple of years to transition. In order to have 5 juniors and seniors, Kentucky would have to recruit a few guys in the 60-100 range. But since their team is currently all one and done types and grad transfers, they wouldn’t have anyone to be a vet yet. So for the first two years they would have no 3-4 year guys and their freshmen would be non-elite guys.

This year is an exception even to their rule. They usually have some talented returnees. Problem is, they get buried on the bench so that he can showcase the more hyped players.

Look at what you’re seeing even this season. Kentucky fans complaining about Allen not getting his chance. He appears to be easily their best shooter but can’t get on the court.

Not sure why you would expect a few crappy seasons with, say, a couple elite freshmen, a few solid transfers, and some freshmen in the 25-50 range.

Look at what you’re seeing even this season. Kentucky fans complaining about Allen not getting his chance. He appears to be easily their best shooter but can’t get on the court.
Allen is a homegrown kid. The fans always rally behind their own and push for them to get more playing time, even if the expectations are unrealistic. In reality he is a good shooter, but hasn't really proven to be much else at this point. He probably will in time, but he also hasn't played basketball in a very long time. I imagine he is lagging behind in practice. Besides, Clarke and Boston each play 34 mpg, so there is not much PT left at the 2/3.

Holy crap, whatever afflicted UNC last year spread to UK this year. mother of god my cats are embarrassing beyond belief. I think last year's UNC would beat us by 5.

Lets hear it, how badly would your team beat the hell out of UK if they played in the next couple of weeks?

Reactions: Random UK Fan
It was a bust once programs started playing the game with Kentucky, diluting their one and done pool.

Once Duke jumped into the ring with them on it, it ended the experiment as far as I am concerned.
This is a really interesting point. It did kind of dilute everyone across the board.

I think this is true. There’s no slowing this train down, it’s either full speed ahead or an abrupt stop.

Allen is a homegrown kid. The fans always rally behind their own and push for them to get more playing time, even if the expectations are unrealistic. In reality he is a good shooter, but hasn't really proven to be much else at this point. He probably will in time, but he also hasn't played basketball in a very long time. I imagine he is lagging behind in practice. Besides, Clarke and Boston each play 34 mpg, so there is not much PT left at the 2/3.
Color me guilty. Since he has been given the chance I had hoped he got, he hasn’t done much, especially defensively. Hopefully he’s one of the guys that will help UK rebuild in the right direction in a few years. I’m willing to go for it.

I think one of the problems is he’s playing the obvious one/dones 34 mpg. I understand why he’s doing it in that it gives them the best on-court experience to potentially make a late run. But the problem is that the 3-4 year guys either don’t get enough experience to make a difference in future years or see the writing in the wall and transfer. Rebuilding a new team every year just doesn’t seem sustainable.

Reactions: GE Nole
The two biggest weaknesses from Kentucky are ball control and perimeter shooting. In their three losses, they shot 11-50 from 3 (22%) and had 58 turnovers. The other teams had a net average of +10.3 less turnovers per game than Kentucky. That is substantial.

Olivier Sarr wasn't pushing the needle as many suspected. I had him at #98 in my preseason rankings, which might have been more than generous. Yes, he was 3rd Team All-Conference last year, but you could argue that last year was the weakest the ACC had been in years. As others have alluded, they're young and they haven't had much time to gel. This team is extremely athletic. If they could maintain the ball and work more cohesively as one unit, they could be a very good team in March.

Color me guilty. Since he has been given the chance I had hoped he got, he hasn’t done much, especially defensively. Hopefully he’s one of the guys that will help UK rebuild in the right direction in a few years. I’m willing to go for it.

Last night was the first time seeing Allen in action and what stood out to me more than anything is he didn’t seem to be able to complete a pass without getting the pass stolen. I know turnovers plagued the whole team, but he seemed to have it a little worse, if that’s possible.

My real question is why was askew so highly rated. We recruited him hard until the end as well and I hate to be so harsh on a young kid but I’m just not seeing what he brings to the table, granted I’m not sure I’ve seen him take a shot.

As far as being over the OAD experiment, I keep alluding to the fact that Kentucky has been to the Elite Eight 7 times in the past 10 tournaments. Duke has had 4 teams in March that had multiple OADS; three of of those teams advanced to the Elite Eight. 11 out of 14 times advancing to the Elite Eight. Every freaking team in America would take those odds. As great as Villanova has been recently, they only made it to the second weekend twice in the past decade. Twice. That's it. Yes, the end result was phenomenal. But, they have consistently struggled more in March more than Kentucky or Duke.

At the end of the day, give me talent. Some freshmen classes are obviously going to be stronger than others. Taking the best prospect available has - and will continue to be the the norm for elite programs.

Let's give Jay and 'Nova three more years for a solid 10 year span since 2014 (2010 - 2013 was a down time that Jay recognized as due to bad recruiting on his part). Since then, he's won 2 NC, lost to the eventual champ (UConn), and had only one bad NCAAT loss - NC State in 2015. Wisconsin had a higher rated defense than 'Nova in 2017 and was under seeded. Purdue was the #3 seed in 2019 vs. #6 for 'Nova.

A couple, young top talented guys mixed with experienced, solid upperclassmen > just young top talent any day. Problem is they're all competing with each other with the same end goal to be in the spotlight which leads to below average team chemistry, as if they're playing in a showcase instead of a team competition.

ADVERTISEMENT