ADVERTISEMENT

Are Board/Card Games a Thing of the Past?

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
I was a huge fan of Risk, Scrabble, Spades, Rook, Dominoes, Chess, etc...

Does anyone here still play these games one on one in real life?

I'm not a gambler so I stay away from betting games. I love the game listed above...obviously.

Family is too competitive and crazy. Monopoly and Risk would usually draw a near fist fight because one of my siblings would screw over the other (or me).

Download them on your tablet to get your fix. There should be an app for all of them.

Does anyone here still play these games one on one in real life?

I'm not a gambler so I stay away from betting games. I love the game listed above...obviously.
I think they are. As a kid, we always played as a family. Monopoly night was just so fun. Love to play euchre. Use to play a game all the time with my uncle called "Stratego". Spades was always a favorite at family outings, i.e. reunions, Derby parties, etc..

Love me some chess as well.

I think they are. As a kid, we always played as a family. Monopoly night was just so fun. Love to play euchre. Use to play a game all the time with my uncle called "Stratego". Spades was always a favorite at family outings, i.e. reunions, Derby parties, etc..

Love me some chess as well.
Rivals should add a chess room.

I've never learned euchre or backgammon.

Reactions: ChiTownSean

Just curious, are you from Kentucky (or the south) originally? I’ve never met anyone north of Cincinnati that’s familiar with Rook. Could just be my experience though.

@bkingUK nailed it though. Especially in nerdy circles, “small batch” board games are a real thing. It’s like craft brewing for board games. Very niche market, but the people who are really into it, are really into it.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Rivals should add a chess room.

I've never learned euchre or backgammon.
Euchre I think is mostly an "Indiana game". I know a ton of folks whom have never even heard of the game. Very similar to spades. Biggest difference is you make what is trump. It could be spades.....hearts......clubs or diamonds. Say you call spades as trump. Highest cards in this order:

Jack of spades: Known as the "right bar". Its boss.
Jack of clubs: Left bar. Second highest card.
Then the norm----Ace, King, Queen, etc, etc...

Very fun game.

Family is too competitive and crazy. Monopoly and Risk would usually draw a near fist fight because one of my siblings would screw over the other (or me).

Download them on your tablet to get your fix. There should be an app for all of them.
You had me until you said "Download them".

Reactions: bMORE607
I love playing card and board games if I'm having a night in with friends drinking. Would almost rather do that than go out to the clubs at this point. I'm getting old.

Reactions: TheDude1
Euchre I think is mostly an "Indiana game". I know a ton of folks whom have never even heard of the game. Very similar to spades. Biggest difference is you make what is trump. It could be spades.....hearts......clubs or diamonds. Say you call spades as trump. Highest cards in this order:

Jack of spades: Known as the "right bar". Its boss.
Jack of clubs: Left bar. Second highest card.
Then the norm----Ace, King, Queen, etc, etc...

Very fun game.
Euchre is the most popular game in the Navy by a long shot. Played it all around the world.

Freshmen year of college we would buy ounces from these older guys (like 22-23, old at the time) and they'd have us play marathon RISK games with them before leaving. Then we took the game, not RISK, from 'em and didn't get to/have to play anymore. Not gonna lie though, RISK was a blast.

A few years ago we started playing some board game (Carcassonne, thanks Google) at a buddy's bachelor pad, and all of our wives would make fun of us, for good reason. It was fun, but super nerdy. :(

Freshmen year of college we would buy ounces from these older guys (like 22-23, old at the time) and they'd have us play marathon RISK games with them before leaving. Then we took the game, not RISK, from 'em and didn't get to/have to play anymore. Not gonna lie though, RISK was a blast.

A few years ago we started playing some board game (Carcassonne, thanks Google) at a buddy's bachelor pad, and all of our wives would make fun of us, for good reason. It was fun, but super nerdy. :(

Opposite reaction: I downloaded Carcassonne for our vacation and my wife got addicted. I stopped playing after vacation, but she kept playing for about a year straight.

Reactions: 829305
I used to have game nights almost every night of the week back in grad school. We played all different types of games - social, deduction, logic, strategy, deception, etc. I have a pretty extensive board game collection but nobody to ****ing play with anymore. Most of the games I play/own are ones that most people have never heard of. My two favorite games to play are Alien Frontiers and One Night Werewolf. Then I go to Vegas 2-3 times a year to get my poker and blackjack fix.

I used to play Monopoly with friends and family a lot when I was younger but haven’t played in a long time. Me and a friend also used to play Gin Rummy all the time in high school and it used to get pretty competitive and at times tempers flares quite a bit.

Since I was a child, Sundays are spent with family (originally at my grandparents' house, now my parents' house) and we (parents, husband, siblings, their partners) "friendly gamble" over a few games.

Early Lunch (10am) leads to
Three hands of 5-man Hearts
Three hands of 5-man Spades
(Somebody turn the game on! gets shouted about this time, regardless of the season)
overall loser sits while the top 4 play 5 rounds of 4-man Aggravation

After marbles, we domino with the kids (usually a couple of games).

At home (mine) we play Guess Who, Monopoly, Life, Checkers, Chess, Connect 4 and about a half dozen card games.
My middle would card game all night if we'd allow it.

My wife and I bonded over playing card and board games in college. I think board games are more popular than ever actually.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Grew up playing pitch, spades, rook, and a board marble game. We would have multiple tables. Friends, cousins, neighbors..house would be full. Homemade pizza nights, salad nights, chili..you name it. Miss those days. Wife never played, and kids not interested. I still get out the pitch cards for mom when we have enoug players. She would play every day if she could.

Had a crazy ass uncle that worked a farm. Would hire the boys to harvest crops, then get our hard earned money back in a poker game. Cheated and laughed about it. But we always thought we would figure him out. Anyway, learned the game from him. Sometimes played all night. Usually quarter ante.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
nah. I think there is still a place for them. I played battleship with my 6 year old son just the other day. we had a good time. He is also interested in learning chess. would love to be able to play rummy or spades, or hearts with the kids once they get older. And im down for a game of Monopoly pretty much anytime someone asks me

Anybody here play Taroks? It’s an old Slovak card game. Lots of fun. Girlfriends family is Czech and they all play it and regularly enter into state tournaments down here in Texas. It’s pretty complex but I’m learning it.

It's hard to find people to play with, but I still love board games. We used to play with my wife's family a lot, and still do, just not as much recently. My dad and I have had plans for a while to get a game of Risk started that we'll play for a little bit each time I visit. We always played Risk and Stratego when I was growing up.

Monopoly is my favorite game, by far. It's so hard to find people willing to play it, though, that I resorted to asking for the PS4 version of the game for Christmas lol. Now I play against other losers across the globe.

Anybody here play Taroks? It’s an old Slovak card game. Lots of fun. Girlfriends family is Czech and they all play it and regularly enter into state tournaments down here in Texas. It’s pretty complex but I’m learning it.

Never heard of it

My dad has friends over regular to play dominos. Usually in the summer on Sunday nights when Sunday night baseball is on.
I’ll go over some & play with them. After a few hours the cigar smoke kills my eyes.

Having people to play with this is the big issue... My in-laws like to play Phase 10. But I can't. It's so freakishly, painfully long... I'd rather watch Telemundo or learn how to knit.

I get stoned and drunk and play games in this room all the time:

room%2Bwith%2Bshelf.JPG

room.JPG

fridge2.JPG

It's nice to get away from screens and all that, and games give dudes a good excuse to hang around and shoot the shit and listen to music. We can't just sit around and gab like girls do.

I get stoned and drunk and play games in this room all the time:

room%2Bwith%2Bshelf.JPG

room.JPG

fridge2.JPG

It's nice to get away from screens and all that, and games give dudes a good excuse to hang around and shoot the shit and listen to music. We can't just sit around and gab like girls do.

Digging the muzzle loaders on the wall as well as the cutlery. Are those epee's and foils among the kepis?

There are a few bars in Chicago with chess boards but it can be difficult to find a game with strangers. Wish my friends were better

ADVERTISEMENT