ADVERTISEMENT

Anatomy of a scene

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
Not sure how many people here check out the NYT, but they have a great bit called “Anatomy of a Scene,” where they work through a single scene in a movie with the director.

This recent one was great, for a scene from the new Mission Impossible movie.

(Sorry, not sure if you need a subscription? I don’t think you do.)

(Sorry, not sure if you need a subscription? I don’t think you do.)
It's covered in the allotment of free previews/reads per X, at worst.

Pretty amazing. So much theater involves hiding the hard work to make the the final visual look natural and easy. With a scene like that, it makes it more amazing to have what we take for granted spelled out for us.

Tom Cruise catches a lot of deserved flak for his Scientology and creepiness, but he deserves props for doing so much of his own stunt work.

Reactions: TheDude1
It's covered in the allotment of free previews/reads per X, at worst.

Pretty amazing. So much theater involves hiding the hard work to make the the final visual look natural and easy. With a scene like that, it makes it more amazing to have what we take for granted spelled out for us.

Tom Cruise catches a lot of deserved flak for his Scientology and creepiness, but he deserves props for doing so much of his own stunt work.

It’s funny... the CG in that scene, to create the story, to me takes away from the stunt a bit... it makes you think more of it is CG than really is, you know?

ADVERTISEMENT