ADVERTISEMENT

All-time Best Teams in Each Conference?

This idea that SEC basketball teams just suddenly "started to get serious 5-10 years ago" is pure horse shit.

Ever heard of Nolan Richardson or Billy Donovan? SEC is no more serious about basketball over the last "5-10 years" than it was 30 something years ago when Arkansas won a freaking title, Florida went back to back and Kentucky went to three Nattys in a row, winning two of them - with two different coaches.

FOH with your weak know-nothing basketball takes. All anyone wants to hear from Alabama basketball fans right now is SILENCE.
Sorry bitch, did I step on your history lesson? GFY!
Richardson hasn't won an SEC game in over 20 years goofball

Last edited:
I'll go back to 1991. I seriously, seriously doubt Duke beats UNLV in a best of 7.

This is who I think would have won the title if there were a best of 7. Some years were too close to call. I've bolded the years where the predicted champ isn't included.

91- UNLV
92- Duke
93- North Carolina
94- Arkansas
95- UCLA
96- Kentucky
97- Kansas
98- North Carolina
99- Duke

00- Michigan State
01- Duke
02- Maryland or Duke
03- Kansas
04- UConn
05- North Carolina or Illinois
06- Florida
07- Florida
08- Kansas
09- North Carolina
10- Duke or Kansas
11- Ohio State
12- Kentucky
13- Louisville
14- Florida
15- Kentucky

16- Villanova or North Carolina
17- Gonzaga
18- Villanova
19- Virginia or Duke
20- Kansas (no tournament)
21- Baylor
22- Kansas
That is why the tourney is so maddening. 97 Kansas was a juggernaut that only lost 1 game by 2 points at Missouri in double ot (which included a guy hitting a shot falling on his butt at the buzzer to force the first ot) and beat 10 ranked teams. Their only weakness was quick guards and they didn’t shoot the three that well. Ran into the exact scenario with Arizona playing out of their mind in that game. Play that game 5 times and Kansas wins 4/5. 97 was setup perfectly for Kansas vs Kentucky…..fricking miles Simon and mike bibby. Fvck those guys.

Probably missed one or two. But, close-ish.
Best Team From Each Conference That Didn't Win It All
ACC: '84 North Carolina or '99 Duke
Big East: '85 Georgetown
Big 12: '97 Kansas
Big Ten: '75 Indiana
Pac 12: '74 UCLA or '08 UCLA
SEC: '15 Kentucky
Big 8: 1987 Oklahoma. We had a stack roster that season, highest scoring team in the country. beat Nova in E8 and a stack Arizona team with Sean Elliot and Steve Kerr in F4, but we ran into the red hot #6 seed Kansas and Danny Manning in the final, the same ones that we beat 2x in regular season.

Makes me wonder what a best of 7 would look like in the NCAA. Once you get to the FF, usually any team is capable of beating any other team, at least once.

For the less basketball savvy among us: that's why FF's are a big deal.
Can you imagine being a fan of a team with no final fours and trying to act like they’re not a big deal and you wouldn’t celebrate a final four if your team reached one!😂 Imagine being dumb enough to come on here and say “we wouldn’t celebrate a final four because it means you celebrate getting your ass beat”😂😂😂😂

Reactions: CUJO_1970

Best Champion From Each P6 Conference
ACC: '92 Duke

I'd put the 1981-82 UNC team ahead of them. Loaded with talent. Michael Jordan, James Worthy and Sam Perkins. They beat a great Georgetown team (who had Patrick Ewing) in the national championship game.

In case there was any doubt whether or not Kansas owns the big 12:
The big 12 started play in 1996. Kansas today won a share of their 21st regular season championship.

The next closest school has 3.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I'd put the 1981-82 UNC team ahead of them. Loaded with talent. Michael Jordan, James Worthy and Sam Perkins. They beat a great Georgetown team (who had Patrick Ewing) in the national championship game.

That's fair. I'd be okay with anyone saying '74 NC State, '82 UNC, or '92 Duke.

To make my case for Duke, we were 34-2. We weren't at full strength during either of those 2 losses. 1 came against UNC when Hurley broke his foot in the first half... and then he subsequently missed the road game against Wake. We were 30-0 in games where Hurley was fully healthy.

In addition to a tough ACC, we also won non-conference road games against UCLA (a #1 seed), Michigan (National Runners-Up) and LSU (Shaq). Laettner was the NPOY, Hurley is the NCAA All-Time Assists leader, and Grant Hill is a Hall of Famer (and had a better freshman season than Jordan).

That is why the tourney is so maddening. 97 Kansas was a juggernaut that only lost 1 game by 2 points at Missouri in double ot (which included a guy hitting a shot falling on his butt at the buzzer to force the first ot) and beat 10 ranked teams. Their only weakness was quick guards and they didn’t shoot the three that well. Ran into the exact scenario with Arizona playing out of their mind in that game. Play that game 5 times and Kansas wins 4/5. 97 was setup perfectly for Kansas vs Kentucky…..fricking miles Simon and mike bibby. Fvck those guys.

I'm still shocked that Kansas lost in 97. They were so freaking good. It seemed like one of the easiest tournaments ever to pick the champion. If you replay a tournament 10 times, I'm not sure anyone in the last 40 years would ever come close to winning it 10/10 times. But, I'd wager to say '97 KU would have won it more than 5/10 times.

Reactions: JayhawkWriter
I'm still shocked that Kansas lost in 97. They were so freaking good. It seemed like one of the easiest tournaments ever to pick the champion. If you replay a tournament 10 times, I'm not sure anyone in the last 40 years would ever come close to winning it 10/10 times. But, I'd wager to say '97 KU would have won it more than 5/10 times.
Those unlv teams of 90 and 91 would be the closest. I know beating them in 91 had to feel good, but man what they did to duke in 90 was unbelievable.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Those unlv teams of 90 and 91 would be the closest. I know beating them in 91 had to feel good, but man what they did to duke in 90 was unbelievable.

True. '91 UNLV completely slipped my mind.

So if the tournament was played out 10 times, they may have won it 7 times, maybe even 8. Their margin for error was higher than anyone else in the modern era.

Reactions: JayhawkWriter
I’m sure it did feel special to beat a ranked team for you. Are those your only quad 1 wins?

Don't know, don't care.

Tennessee doesn't really move the needle that much for me - I mean it was like the 140th time we beat your sorry asses, so...

Sorry bitch, did I step on your history lesson? GFY!
Richardson hasn't won an SEC game in over 20 years goofball

Here's a history lesson for you: Alabama is 5-14 against Kentucky using your dumbass "SEC just got serious" time metric. It's the same freaking .35 piss poor win % Alabubba has suffered against Kentucky in your prior 116 losses to us, moron. RTR!

Thanks for confirming your complete and total ignorance, but it wasn't really necessary - everyone here already knows you are slow and simple...you literally just made the point for me lmao. SeC fInAlLy GoT sEriOuS aBoUt BasKeTbAlLl

Good lord you are really, really dumb. We all understand you just started paying attention this year.

How was losing to Bama by 26 ?
really special for you 🤣

Trust me - as history clearly shows with your shitty basketball program (and it's equally shitty character), that win will mean so much more for you than the loss means to us.

.35% lmao

RoLl TiDe RoLE

Don't know, don't care.

Tennessee doesn't really move the needle that much for me - I mean it was like the 140th time we beat your sorry asses, so...
You should care more due to it being a metric for getting a ticket to the dance and seeding which is way more important than what happened in 1966.

You should care more due to it being a metric for getting a ticket to the dance and seeding which is way more important than what happened in 1966.

1966? You do realize Kentucky has won a NC in the last 10 years and since then has been back to two elite 8s and two final fours, right? I thought I'd mention that specific timeframe as being within the more recent "SEC got serious" mythology you and bammer-boy seem to believe in.

I mean if you keep throwing me lobs like this I'm just gonna slam it and hang on the rim, it's almost too easy to dunk on fellow SEC basketball fan logic.

Here's a history lesson for you: Alabama is 5-14 against Kentucky using your dumbass "SEC just got serious" time metric. It's the same freaking .35 piss poor win % Alabubba has suffered against Kentucky in your prior 116 losses to us, moron. RTR!

Thanks for confirming your complete and total ignorance, but it wasn't really necessary - everyone here already knows you are slow and simple...you literally just made the point for me lmao. SeC fInAlLy GoT sEriOuS aBoUt BasKeTbAlLl

Good lord you are really, really dumb. We all understand you just started paying attention this year.
your reading comprehension is really lacking, but you make up for it being a complete idiot.
Nate Oats has amore than respectable record against KY. Keep living in the past, 2012 was the last time you won a natty, just a short 11 years ago. Now you guys are having trouble with teams you used to roll over.
I guess I might be frustrated too.🤣

Keep living in the past, 2012 was the last time you won a natty, just a short 11 years ago.
You are forgetting the 2 Elite Eights and 2 Finals fours since that glorious #8 Natty...more in the last 11 years than Alabama has since 1930. LMAO! - I tried to take it easy, knowing you are 'simple' and all - by using your own dumb criteria. You are touched either way - sorry not sorry you suck so hard. I mean, Nate Oats literally got swept by Kentucky just last season - or is that also living in the past?

The real reason you ignore history - your history sucks. And now look at you, your present sucks as well. Best Alabubba team of all time and you are universally hated by everyone in America.

Enjoy, dipshit!

1966? You do realize Kentucky has won a NC in the last 10 years and since then has been back to two elite 8s and two final fours, right? I thought I'd mention that specific timeframe as being within the more recent "SEC got serious" mythology you and bammer-boy seem to believe in.

I mean if you keep throwing me lobs like this I'm just gonna slam it and hang on the rim, it's almost too easy to dunk on fellow SEC basketball fan logic.
1966 was just a random year pulled out as an example of y'all reaching back to the past. Y'all are the only fan group that does that in any sport with regularity. Y'all are also the only fan group that post all time this or that threads on a weekly basis. lob on that...

Trust me - as history clearly shows with your shitty basketball program (and it's equally shitty character), that win will mean so much more for you than the loss means to us.

.35% lmao

RoLl TiDe RoLE
A Ky fan calling ANY other program's character "shitty" is the height of hypocrisy and hilarity.

A Ky fan calling ANY other program's character "shitty" is the height of hypocrisy and hilarity.

Shitty is what Indiana aspires to.

Keep grinding away those 22 point home court losses to Iowa and I'm sure y'all will get there some day.

You are forgetting the 2 Elite Eights and 2 Finals fours since that glorious #8 Natty...more in the last 11 years than Alabama has since 1930. LMAO! - I tried to take it easy, knowing you are 'simple' and all - by using your own dumb criteria. You are touched either way - sorry not sorry you suck so hard. I mean, Nate Oats literally got swept by Kentucky just last season - or is that also living in the past?

The real reason you ignore history - your history sucks. And now look at you, your present sucks as well. Best Alabubba team of all time and you are universally hated by everyone in America.

Enjoy, dipshit!
I am, thanks

Big Ten is interesting:

Most B1G titles: Purdue (25)
Most national titles: Indiana (5)
Highest winning percentage: Illinois (.641)
Most wins: Indiana (1,900+)
Seasons over .500: Illinois (100)
Only school w/winning record over all others: Purdue
Most Final Fours: Ohio State (11)

Best Champion From Each P6 Conference
ACC: '92 Duke
Big East: '84 Georgetown or '18 Villanova
Big 12: '08 Kansas or '21 Baylor
Big Ten: '76 Indiana
Pac 12: '69 UCLA
SEC: '96 Kentucky

Best Team From Each Conference That Didn't Win It All
ACC: '84 North Carolina or '99 Duke
Big East: '85 Georgetown
Big 12: '97 Kansas
Big Ten: '75 Indiana
Pac 12: '74 UCLA or '08 UCLA
SEC: '15 Kentucky
I'm biased, but I'll take the 2005 Illini as the best Big Ten team to not win it all over 1975 Indiana. Illinois' 29-0 start to the season is just two games short of Indiana's 31-0 start, and Illinois made the National Championship game whereas Indiana lost in the Elite Eight. Additionally, while both won the league, Illinois also won the Big Ten Tournament (I know that's not apples-to-apples as it didn't exist in the '70s, but it's just more games you have to win vs. good competition). 37-2 vs. 31-1 are down to decimal dust as far as winning percentage, too. Illinois also beat 9 ranked teams compared to Indiana's 5.

Again, biased, but I gotta give the nod to 2005 Illinois if for no other reason than making the Championship Game (compared to the Elite Eight) is a tiebreaker over both teams' impressive stats in other categories.

I'm biased, but I'll take the 2005 Illini as the best Big Ten team to not win it all over 1975 Indiana. Illinois' 29-0 start to the season is just two games short of Indiana's 31-0 start, and Illinois made the National Championship game whereas Indiana lost in the Elite Eight. Additionally, while both won the league, Illinois also won the Big Ten Tournament (I know that's not apples-to-apples as it didn't exist in the '70s, but it's just more games you have to win vs. good competition). 37-2 vs. 31-1 are down to decimal dust as far as winning percentage, too. Illinois also beat 9 ranked teams compared to Indiana's 5.

Again, biased, but I gotta give the nod to 2005 Illinois if for no other reason than making the Championship Game (compared to the Elite Eight) is a tiebreaker over both teams' impressive stats in other categories.

'05 Illinois was a really solid and they certainly have a case for being the best Big Ten to never win it all.

Big thing with Indiana is Scott May was injured - a healthy May very easily could have resulted in a natty.

'05 Illinois was a really solid and they certainly have a case for being the best Big Ten to never win it all.

Big thing with Indiana is Scott May was injured - a healthy May very easily could have resulted in a natty.
1989 Illini would’ve smoked both teams in my opinion.

Beat 11 ranked teams.

Kendall Gill
Nick Anderson
Kenny Battle
Lowell Hamilton
Stephen Bardo

Mr. Illinois Marcus Liberty off the bench.

The Flyin’ Illini

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT