ADVERTISEMENT

add best player from your school's history to current roster, how many teams win NCAA title?

Did you see Len Bias play? I did. He was a 2X ACC POY. Averaged 23ppg as a senior. He was the 2nd pick in the NBA draft. This what then Celtic scout Ed Badger had to say:

He's maybe the closest thing to (Chicago guard) Michael Jordan to come out in a long time. I'm not saying he's as good as Michael Jordan, but he's an explosive and exciting kind of player like that.

Not sure if you seen this kid play. But he was anything but overrated. That's the most absurd take I have ever heard.

K. If you would have read the link I provided, it noted such scouting reports and yet still concluded that he's probably overrated. And they did so not by relying on a single data point or what you 'member from the good ol' days, but with a more holistic analysis.

And considering that Jordan was drafted a whole 2 years before Bias came out, pardon me for not putting a lot of stock in a scout's report that says Bias was the closest to Jordan "to come out in a long time." A long time, eh? And pull up any player taken in the top 10, especially a wing (teams have traditionally reached more on bigs) and you can find some really flattering scouting reports, so putting this in here like some sort of mic drop is hardly convincing.

Add in the young death effect and the glow that damn near every prospect has (until they don't), and it all adds up to a perception that almost certainly exceeds reality. That's not to say that he would have been bad, just that the perception of people like you exceeds any reasonable estimate (i.e. his 75% percentile outcome) of what he actually would have become.

Lol, not likely to be better the Reggie Lewis type. Based on odds? Da Fuq? Get the **** out of here with that BS.
Grew up in PG Co w Bias and saw Reggie come of age in Baltimore.
Athletically not even in the same ball park. Reggie obviously was a late bloomer and exceeded most expectations. His game was cerebral that blossomed
Len was an explosive athlete who’s potential wasn’t even close to being tapped yet.
Guys who played w and against are on record pretty much anywhere you want to look as saying he was about the best player they ever played against (John Salley, Brad Dougherty)
How he would have done in the pros? Who knows. He would have had to develop some, extend his range about 4 feet on his shot and refine his ball handling and passing skills a bit. I'll tell you one thing, though. I certainly thought he was a can't miss prospect, as did every other ACC fan around at that time. Bobby Knight and Mike Krzyzewski say he was the best college player they ever saw.

"...In scouting reports, it is customary to make player comparisons. Our basic report characterized Bias as a 'Michael Jordan type who was bigger, with a better jump shot, but who didn't go to the basket as well.' "

Hey, champ, I said unlikely to be better than a Reggie Lewis type; I didn't compare their games, just their net output. And how much stock do you put in post-death reports on a player? It's what we do - we eulogize the dead, and it's great that we do (not to mention that people, especially older people, romanticize the past). But for an objective analysis? I would rely on other stuff in the first instance.

Edit: you also never answered if the butt in your avatar belongs to your wife/gf/mistress, or if it is, say, an Instagram model. Trust me, it's better to come clean on these issues early around here.

Last edited:
Lots of good players from Maryland. Not sure there's a clear-cut winner.

Tom McMillen
Len Elmore
John Lucas
Buck Williams
Len Bias
Walt Williams
Joe Smith
Juan Dixon

What if every team gets to add their all tme best player, not just one team? Then who's the favorite?
really interesting question.

Who would be the top teams in that scenario? It would have to be a combo of an already really good team + an elite NPOTY type player.

Virginia with Sampson would be pretty tough to beat.
Duke (healthy) adding Laettner would be up there for sure.
Kansas with Wilt
MSU with Magic
Michigan with Rice

Damn, this is hard. So many great teams. Would UNC with MJ be enough to overcome Wilt in the middle or Sampson?

Who would be the top teams in that scenario? It would have to be a combo of an already really good team + an elite NPOTY type player.

Kansas with Wilt
MSU with Magic
Michigan with Rice

Damn, this is hard. So many great teams. Would UNC with MJ be enough to overcome Wilt in the middle or Sampson?

I think if instead of the best player (by some consensus) we use the best fit for the current team it's much more interesting. For example, with Duke wouldn't you almost rather have Jay Williams, Bobby Hurley, Grant Hill, or Shane Battier than Laettner? With Jones out, Duke could certainly use a ball handler and play maker more than a center (and anyway with the modern game I think it would be fun to run with a PG and 4 large wings and just kill teams with a 5 out attack; Zion is the Clint Capela in that situation).

Duke would be a monster and I think the favorite. Kansas with Wilt is amazing, especially with Azubuike out. MSU with Magic is up there because he's so versatile and his weakness (defending quick PGs) is not as apparent in today's college game (because all the best PGs leave early, and PGs take a long time to develop). UK with AD is nice, but I don't think UK has the guards/wings to quite be top tier in this (they're more a depth team this year than a top-end talent team).

Pete Maravich,Chris Jackson and Shack could pretty much do some serious damage alone. Add Petite and Ben Simmons and good luck beating that team.

Pete Maravich,Chris Jackson and Shack could pretty much do some serious damage alone. Add Petite and Ben Simmons and good luck beating that team.
For the sake of the OP, you can only pick 1 of those guys to add to this years LSU team. And I'd pick Shaq over Pete myself but either player would work.

Also, I think there's a few all time teams out there that would take LSU's all time team. North Carolina and UCLA come to mind.

Kansas with Wilt
MSU with Magic
Michigan with Rice

Lot of good options. I'll go with this:

1. Duke (Christian Laettner)
2. Virginia (Ralph Sampson)
3. Kansas (Wilt Chamberlain)
4. Michigan State (Magic Johnson)
5. Michigan (Glen Rice)
6. Tennessee (Bernard King)
7. Gonzaga (John Stockton)
8. Houston (Hakeem Olajuwon)
9. Kentucky (Anthony Davis)
10. Auburn (Charles Barkley)
11. North Carolina (Michael Jordan)
12. LSU (Shaquille O'Neal)
13. Marquette (Dwyane Wade)
14. Florida State (Dave Cowens)
15. San Francisco (Bill Russell)
16. Maryland (Len Bias, Joe Smith, maybe Juan Dixon?)
17. Cincinnati (Oscar Robertson)
18. Ohio State (Jerry Lucas)
19. UCLA (Lew Alcindor)
20. NC State (David Thompson)
21. Louisville (Darrell Griffith)
22. Indiana (Isaiah Thomas)
23. Texas (Kevin Durant)
24. Syracuse (Carmelo Anthony)
25. Wisconsin (Frank Kaminsky)
25. Purdue (Glenn Robinson)

I didn't over analyze this, so probably wildly inaccurate.

Last edited:
Lot of good options. I'll go with this:

1. Duke (Christian Laettner)
2. Virginia (Ralph Sampson)
3. Kansas (Wilt Chamberlain)
4. Michigan State (Magic Johnson)
5. Michigan (Glen Rice)
6. Tennessee (Bernard King)
7. Gonzaga (John Stockton)
8. Houston (Hakeem Olajuwon)
9. Kentucky (Anthony Davis)
10. Auburn (Charles Barkley)
11. North Carolina (Michael Jordan)
12. LSU (Shaquille O'Neal)
13. Marquette (Dwyane Wade)
14. Florida State (Dave Cowens)
15. San Francisco (Bill Russell)
16. Maryland (Len Bias, Joe Smith, maybe Juan Dixon?)
17. Cincinnati (Oscar Robertson)
18. Ohio State (Jerry Lucas)
19. UCLA (Lew Alcindor)
20. NC State (David Thompson)
21. Louisville (Darrell Griffith)
22. Indiana (Isaiah Thomas)
23. Texas (Kevin Durant)
24. Syracuse (Carmelo Anthony)
25. Wisconsin (Frank Kaminsky)
25. Purdue (Glenn Robinson)

I didn't over analyze this, so probably wildly inaccurate.

hey, at least you put Michigan in the top 5 so you don't have to worry about Hail giving you crap about it for 7 straight months.

For the sake of the OP, you can only pick 1 of those guys to add to this years LSU team. And I'd pick Shaq over Pete myself but either player would work.

Also, I think there's a few all time teams out there that would take LSU's all time team. North Carolina and UCLA come to mind.
Yeah I botched that lol. Shaq was really tough but he would doom us at the stripe. Pete was a 77% FT shooter and averaged 44 a game. He is still the leading all time scorer in the History of college and doubt it will ever be broken. Would like to see how todays players would do against him.

K. If you would have read the link I provided, it noted such scouting reports and yet still concluded that he's probably overrated. And they did so not by relying on a single data point or what you 'member from the good ol' days, but with a more holistic analysis.

And considering that Jordan was drafted a whole 2 years before Bias came out, pardon me for not putting a lot of stock in a scout's report that says Bias was the closest to Jordan "to come out in a long time." A long time, eh? And pull up any player taken in the top 10, especially a wing (teams have traditionally reached more on bigs) and you can find some really flattering scouting reports, so putting this in here like some sort of mic drop is hardly convincing.

Add in the young death effect and the glow that damn near every prospect has (until they don't), and it all adds up to a perception that almost certainly exceeds reality. That's not to say that he would have been bad, just that the perception of people like you exceeds any reasonable estimate (i.e. his 75% percentile outcome) of what he actually would have become.
I don't care what the article says....I watched the dude destroy the ACC for two years. Your not ACC POY twice....lead the ACC in scoring twice, if you can't play. And yo certainly ain't overrated. Its one of the worst takes I've ever read.

Reactions: Mac9192
I don't care what the article says....I watched the dude destroy the ACC for two years. Your not ACC POY twice....lead the ACC in scoring twice, if you can't play. And yo certainly ain't overrated. Its one of the worst takes I've ever read.

I don't think you're dumb, but this post sure is. I never said that he "can't play," I just compared (i) the perception of people like you to (ii) objective evidence of reality. It's a very simple concept, and literally anything or anyone (except I suppose an omnipotent God?) can be overrated, even vastly so. In fact, if you claimed that MJ would average 100 points per game on record-setting efficiency in today's NBA, I'd say (quite correctly) that you were vastly overrating MJ, and yet I believe that MJ is the GOAT.

Edit: Your post also seems to imply that because you saw Bias "destroy the ACC for two years" that he could not be overrated. That's absurd; the concept of under/over/properly rated involves a numerator (how he's perceived) AND a denominator (how he should be perceived). FFS.

Last edited:
Reactions: KisteK
McGinnis was a hoss. This team though needs so many things---one dude ain't helping. Not close to IU's best, but man I'd take an AJ Guyton on this team., Even better.....another AJ.....in Moye. This team needs a dude like Moye.
I'd love to have another A.J. Moye on this roster!

I know I'm biased, but he still has the best block I've ever seen. Especially because of his size and how important it was to winning the game.

Edit*** in now way am I saying he was IUs best ever player.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT