ADVERTISEMENT

A few of these streaks are ending this year

It wouldn’t surprise me at all, if Villanova wins the big east tournament and keeps their streak going. They’re finally healthy and have their chemistry back.

I don’t know much about “College Basketball Report,” but I got the vibe that it was a serious list and they actually omitted Duke
Yep. Still can’t tell if you’re joking or not. I’m assuming that you are.

• Haha
Reactions: KisteK
16-15, 9-11 says otherwise.;)

Purdue did well in the SOS, but yes, very, very unlikely that they would have made it.

The most obvious streak that was preserved, however, was UNC. They were 14-19 and were already defeated in the ACC Tournament.

Villanova might be a sleeper team to steal a bid in the BE Tourney. They beat Xavier and Creighton last week. And they've won 5 of their last 6. Resume is obviously lacking, and they won't receive an at-large, but they're peaking at the right time to at least give themselves a chance in the conference tourney.

Purdue did well in the SOS, but yes, very, very unlikely that they would have made it.
Definitely unlikely but:

• Purdue was #24 at KenPom - Only 2 teams have ever been that high at KenPom and been snubbed and that was when the committee purposefully penalized teams with pathetic Non-Con SOS rankings.
  • Purdue was #32 in the NET - In the short time the NET has existed, no team ranked that high has been left out of the field.
  • Purdue had 9 Q1/Q2 wins and only 1 loss outside Q2. That's identical to 2023 West Virginia, who at 16-13 is currently an 11 seed at Bracketmatrix.
  • Purdue, as the 10 seeded, needed only beat 7 seed OSU and 2 seed MSU (who Purdue beat by 29 earlier in the season) to get 2 games above .500. And there have been multiple teams receive at large bids at just two games above .500, including one who went on to win a national title (not saying Purdue would win a title....just mentioning that).
    • I think had Purdue beat OSU and lost to MSU to be just one game above .500, it would have been a fascinating case study for the committee.
BTW, Indiana, who most had comfortably in the field, had a 9-11 B1G record just like Purdue, was 34th at KenPom and 56th at the NET and was swept by Purdue. But they were considered in the tournament because they got fat off of a weak Non-con schedule. IU was able to get their 20th win because they were the 11th seed (due to losing the tiebreaker to Purdue) and were afforded the benefit of thumping NW on Wednesday in the BTT before COVID shut everything down. What is hilariously ironic is Purdue would have been much better off as the 11 seed as that win over NW would have improved the optics of their total record.

ADVERTISEMENT