ADVERTISEMENT

#6 WVU hosts #7 OU

We kicked butt with our best sitting on the bench in the second half for 10 minutes and our second best not playing at all.

And we're not just relying on the press and turnovers to score and win games this year.

Our half court D is just as good as our full court pressure, and we have guys that can score and make shots this year.

Reactions: ChiTownSean
And we're not just relying on the press and turnovers to score and win games this year.

Our half court D is just as good as our full court pressure, and we have guys that can score and make shots this year.
Agreed - it's really nice to have guys like Bolden and Allen who can score and at the same time, not be a complete liability defensively

Reactions: doogie503
I would still bet a fair amount of cash against OU or WVU in the tourney.

I don't doubt that you all would be favored on a neut. floor and WVU will definitely lose some games due to shooting woes that seem to happen every year from every WVU team...I just don't think the gap is wide between the top 5 or so teams (maybe will get to find out first hand this march).

I don't doubt that you all would be favored on a neut. floor and WVU will definitely lose some games due to shooting woes that seem to happen every year from every WVU team...I just don't think the gap is wide between the top 5 or so teams (maybe will get to find out first hand this march).
Yep.

The biggest question I had about MSU was answered yesterday: how would they respond to adversity? People forget how young the squad is. All of the key players are sophomores and freshmen. 2 contributing jrs (off the bench). One sr Pg (off the bench) and a sr 5 with sledgehammers for hands.

I think they were starting to believe their ranking. An ass whooping might have been the best thing for this team. Better now than in March. Izzo will get a lot of mileage out of this.

In ‘05, MSU lost badly to Iowa in the 1st round of the Big Ten tourney. Like, they didn’t look like they belonged on the floor. Can’t remember the final margin, but it was around 15 (on a neutral court). How did they respond? Went to the Final Four, beating Duke and Kentucky on the way, and then going toe-to-toe with eventual champ Carolina for 35 minutes.

This team definitely has to grow up. Yesterday was a good start.

Reactions: ChiTownSean
I would still bet a fair amount of cash against OU or WVU in the tourney.

I think this wvu team is better than in the past and they've been to 2 sweet 16's in the last 3 years. A bucket away from an easy elite 8 game with Xavier last year.

Wvu shoots it better and plays better D in the half court now. Not all about pressure and turnovers.

Yep.

The biggest question I had about MSU was answered yesterday: how would they respond to adversity? People forget how young the squad is. All of the key players are sophomores and freshmen. 2 contributing jrs (off the bench). One sr Pg (off the bench) and a sr 5 with sledgehammers for hands.

I think they were starting to believe their ranking. An ass whooping might have been the best thing for this team. Better now than in March. Izzo will get a lot of mileage out of this.

In ‘05, MSU lost badly to Iowa in the 1st round of the Big Ten tourney. Like, they didn’t look like they belonged on the floor. Can’t remember the final margin, but it was around 15 (on a neutral court). How did they respond? Went to the Final Four, beating Duke and Kentucky on the way, and then going toe-to-toe with eventual champ Carolina for 35 minutes.

This team definitely has to grow up. Yesterday was a good start.

Again... being young is normal in college hoops.

8 of wvu's top 10 are freshman and sophs. And some of the sophs are first year juco guys or never player last year.

Having 2 senior guards helps though.

Teams like duke, UK, etc are even younger.

I think this wvu team is better than in the past and they've been to 2 sweet 16's in the last 3 years. A bucket away from an easy elite 8 game with Xavier last year.

Wvu shoots it better and plays better D in the half court now. Not all about pressure and turnovers.

8 of wvu's top 10 are freshman and sophs. And some of the sophs are first year juco guys or never player last year.

Of course being young is normal in college hoops. But the teams that win NCs tend to have a good smattering of vets, especially at the 1. That’s why UK has one NC under Cal.

My thinking with MSU was that they were going to be a tough team to beat if that youth never manifested itself. Yesterday it did. But again, better yesterday than in March.

Don't you mean a bucket away from beating Gonzaga to get to the elite eight last year?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT