ADVERTISEMENT

2020 NBA Draft

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
The NBA Draft is tomorrow. I haven't been following the stories very closely, but there is lots of chatter about LaMelo Ball potentially going #1. Thought this commentary by Robbie Hummel was informative and kind of funny. "Would you rather win - or would you rather look cool?"

Wiseman has the tools, yes. Edwards, maybe. It looks like a relatively weak draft. I think Obi Toppin and Tyrese Haliburton could be special. Devin Vassell could surprise some folks, too.

Hummel is spot on. Go ahead and draft Ball if you want to lose. A point guard that can't shoot... yet all he does is shoot. 😆

Reactions: dukedevilz
Yea I’m a big fan of Halliburton, if he can develop his shot he could be the best player in the draft when all is said and done imo.

Idk how I feel about toppin. He could be a great energy guy like montrez but to reach stardom he’s gonna have to develop an outside shot imo.

We played FSU twice, and vassell was solid, but mj walker and Forrest killed us moreso than vassel I feel like so my opinion on vassell is unfairly biased. Vassel did make a couple big shots against us, I just never thought damn that guy is gonna be a star in the league when we played, but he obv has the potential as most have him projected top 10. Same for Williams from fsu, he didn’t play great against us so I undervalue his draft potential.

Reactions: KisteK
And Edwards almost seems like he has cocky attitude problems as well, but I guess at some point all those guys that talented do. But he just seems like a me first type player, much like ball.

Yea I’m a big fan of Halliburton, if he can develop his shot he could be the best player in the draft when all is said and done imo.

Idk how I feel about toppin. He could be a great energy guy like montrez but to reach stardom he’s gonna have to develop an outside shot imo.

We played FSU twice, and vassell was solid, but mj walker and Forrest killed us moreso than vassel I feel like so my opinion on vassell is unfairly biased. Vassel did make a couple big shots against us, I just never thought damn that guy is gonna be a star in the league when we played, but he obv has the potential as most have him projected top 10. Same for Williams from fsu, he didn’t play great against us so I undervalue his draft potential.

Toppin shot 39% from 3. Granted, he wasn't usually guarded closely when on the perimeter. But still, making one 3-pointer a game at that clip is respectable. Given his athleticism, he could probably rebound a little better and have a more well-rounded post game some. Gotta love the potential, if nothing else.

I just think Vassell is supremely talented on the defensive end. And his shooting percentages are off the charts. He just needs to be a little more aggressive at looking for his shot. Not saying he's going to be a star, but at least a very reliable starter in the near future.

Haliburton is one of the main reasons why Shaka gave Neill Berry so much say in the program.
Berry went right back to that well this recruiting cycle.

Patrick Williams had the pivotal defensive play of the game in game 2, followed by a dunk that blew the roof of the gym. And in game 1 he was an eraser at the rim and helped shut down the secondary options.

Vassell had a 134 offensive rating in game 1 and 150 in game two.

Just food for thought.

Wiseman has the tools, yes. Edwards, maybe. It looks like a relatively weak draft. I think Obi Toppin and Tyrese Haliburton could be special. Devin Vassell could surprise some folks, too.

Wiseman would have been a star 15 years ago. We will see how impactful he is in the modern NBA.

Edwards is Dennis Smith 2.0. Will be a volume scorer but nothing more. I wouldn’t draft him in the top 10.

Ball has the potential to be a star. If he can be a 34-35% shooter from deep—which is possible—and mature a bit in terms of shot selection, he will be extremely tough to guard. His vision and passing skills are off the charts.

Killian Hayes has the positional size, skill, and high hoops IQ...but will he have the athleticism? I’m not sure. He isn’t Luka, but even if he’s 80% of what Luka is that could be pretty darn good.

Vassell will be a starter for a long time. Likely will never be a star, but could find himself as the #3 guy on a championship team just by coming moderately close to his potential. Really high floor.

Toppin would be devastating in the pick and roll/pick and pop if he can be a consistent threat from three.

Haliburton will be a very good two way player.

And they guy who just might end up being the best player in the draft 6-7 years from now is Patrick Williams. Sure thing? No. But his body is already an NBA body, he can defend 3 through small ball 5, his playmaking skills are impressive for a guy his size, he can shoot off the dribble and the C&S, and his work ethic is outstanding. He is the youngest American in the draft so he has a long way to go, but his ceiling is legit in the Paul George level.

Last edited:
i stop reading your post when you compare Edward to DS jr. Wouldnt Marcus Smart or Jaylen Brown a better comparison?

i stop reading your post when you compare Edward to DS jr. Wouldnt Marcus Smart or Jaylen Brown a better comparison?

Lol, no. Marcus Smart was an ELITE defender at Okie State, one of the best perimeter defenders in the league, and is a playmaker not a shot taker.

Jaylen Brown is a fiery competitor who’s a legit two-way player at wing, 6’6, and shoots 37% from 3.

Ant Edwards is 6’4, inefficient volume scorer with an inconsistent at best 3 point shot, gives little concern to defense, and “led” his team to a 5-13 record in a so-so SEC.

Reactions: KisteK
Innate nature wise, that are two I would compare to Edward. Jaylen Brown must have grown a few inches since his year at Cal Or when I saw him in Boston two years ago. About 15 years ago UNLV had a player name Marcus Bank, he was an unstoppable guard and took a lot of shots because he was the only one that is guaranteed a bucket. Danny Ainge drafted him also

Innate nature wise, that are two I would compare to Edward. Jaylen Brown must have grown a few inches since his year at Cal Or when I saw him in Boston two years ago. About 15 years ago UNLV had a player name Marcus Bank, he was an unstoppable guard and took a lot of shots because he was the only one that is guaranteed a bucket. Danny Ainge drafted him also

Innate nature wise? Smart and Brown are straight up dogs. They will run through a brick wall to make the necessary defensive play. They are winners.

Ant Edwards likes to dribble around and shoot a lot. He’s nothing like them mentality wise.

This year, UNLV will feature Bryce Hamilton. He‘s a young junior guard. Legit 6’4-6.5 CG that very explosive, great dribble drive, vision, unselfish and a team player. I think he has just turn 20 in October. David Jenkins and Marvin Coleman will be runnin’ with him in the backcourt. Nov 28 game versus UNC IN Asheville

Innate nature wise? Smart and Brown are straight up dogs. They will run through a brick wall to make the necessary defensive play. They are winners.

Ant Edwards likes to dribble around and shoot a lot. He’s nothing like them mentality wise.
Players like that don’t get rate this high. You’re must be overlooking something and Crean never was the type coach to tolerate that unless he has change

Players like that don’t get rate this high. You’re must be overlooking something

Players like that are rated highly all the time. Lonzo Ball, Markelle Fultz, D’Angelo Russell, Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, Dion Waiters, etc.

Ant Edwards has remarkable physical gifts and athleticism. He could be as good as he wants to be. He just doesn’t care about being elite. Watching any game of UGA last year demonstrated that. He’s not a high level competitor and is soft mentally, just like all those guys mentioned above.

The mere fact that a guy of his athleticism and physical potential is not the sure-fire #1 pick in a draft that’s as weak at the top as this one is, is all the proof you need of what I’m saying.

@1Tripoda you seen these quotes from Ant Edwards? This dude ain’t Marcus Smart.

“To be honest," he says, "I can't watch basketball."

He retells the story about the first time he dunked and how it signaled to him that he was talented and could accomplish something he might not have been able to in football, which was his first love. So that's the direction he went, simple as that, hanging up his cleats. "That's all I needed to see," he says.

So when after that did he get into basketball?

"I'm still not really into it," he says. "I love basketball, yeah. It's what I do."

He's not entirely convincing. He says if he were drafted by the NFL tomorrow, he'd let basketball go. "Because you can do anything on the field," he explains. "You can spike the ball. You can dance. You can do all type of disrespectful stuff." In the NBA, he says, "you can't do any of that. You'll get fined."

He goes on to say that he's an aspiring rapper. He's already recorded a few tracks with his older brother Bubba. So, like Damian Lillard? "But I really can rap," he says. "Dame, talking about -- I don't know what he's talking about. I'm rapping like Lil Baby." He says he won't release any songs until he's established in the NBA.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
There's loud chatter my Hawks are looking to deal the 6th pick for a veteran SG/SF type. Gordon Hayward is being mentioned by just about every service. That would be fine, but he's a bit old for such a young roster. If we keep the pick, I like Haliburton or trading up.

What a crappy year to have the #1 overall pick. Hopefully the Wolves can find a way to trade back a little bit and grab Toppin.

I don’t love Edwards or Ball. I think both have big bust potential. I’d be super happy with the Pistons landing Killian Hayes or Tyrese Halliburton at 7.

Players like that are rated highly all the time. Lonzo Ball, Markelle Fultz, D’Angelo Russell, Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, Dion Waiters, etc.

I haven't watched Jabari much in the NBA, but he was an absolutely atrocious defender at Duke. So bad. He struggled mightily to follow the ball and his man at the same time. Constantly getting lost in no man's land.. Great kid, supremely talented on the offensive end, but it was painful to watch him play defense.

Reactions: GE Nole
I don’t love Edwards or Ball. I think both have big bust potential. I’d be super happy with the Pistons landing Killian Hayes or Tyrese Halliburton at 7.

Haliburton at #7 would be phenomenal. Love his game. More upside than several of those top 5 prospects.

There's loud chatter my Hawks are looking to deal the 6th pick for a veteran SG/SF type. Gordon Hayward is being mentioned by just about every service. That would be fine, but he's a bit old for such a young roster. If we keep the pick, I like Haliburton or trading up.

Hello fellow ATL fan!! Hawks are interested in Hayward, but its not going to cost them the #6 pick. Hayward is a negative asset with his contract. Celtics are hoping just to get out from his contract, they'll give him away for essentially nothing.

I think Hayes has the biggest bust potential in that group. He's athletic, but unskilled. I like Haliburton though.

I think Hayes has the biggest bust potential in that group. He's athletic, but unskilled. I like Haliburton though.
I thought he shot 40% from 3 in his league? That’s pretty solid for an athletic 6’5 PG.

I think the Pistons also should most certainly draft for potential. We suck and are going to suck for a bit.

Wiz may get the big from USC... what’s his comp and outlook

Haliburton at #7 would be phenomenal. Love his game. More upside than several of those top 5 prospects.

I agree. If my Hawks hold onto the 6 pick, I hope they take him. He would be a great fit along side Trae Young. When Trae takes a blow, he can slide over to the point.

If the Pistons end up with Patrick Williams, I think you’ll end up with a star in 3-4 years. Him paired with Kennard and Wood would be a really nice foundation.

If the Pistons end up with Patrick Williams, I think you’ll end up with a star in 3-4 years. Him paired with Kennard and Wood would be a really nice foundation.
To be honest I don’t know a lot about him. What makes you say that?

Marcus Smart is a player who can impact the game at a high level even without the ball.

This doesn't mean he isn't a scorer or a playmaker but just means he is a complete basketball player
This happened prior to the NBA.

Can't say the same about Edwards as of now
But this doesn't mean Edwards can't be that player.
But he didn't show that in college

But Smart actually stayed at Oklahoma State a couple of years

Edwards does have the size to guard multiple positions.

You have players who play who need the ball to be the best player and you have ones who don't.

Something that some acknowledge earlier in the career...
Can you be the best basketball player on the court even when you aren't putting the ball in the basket.

If you can think on that level you will play at the NBA at a high level

For those of y’all who care, here’s my final top 25 Big Board. Consider it the nba version of @dukedevilz bad ass lists.

Note this is not a mock draft—because teams are idiots. I used a healthy mix of a player’s floor and ceiling, with the ultimate goal of projecting who will be the most impactful in a few years. Save this and call me out on it in 5 years.

1. LaMelo Ball
2. Patrick Williams
3. Obi Toppin
4. Tyrese Haliburton
5. James Wiseman
6. Onyeka Okongwu
7. Devin Vassell
8. Saddiq Bey
9. Deni Avdija
10. Isaac Okoro
11. Killian Hayes
12. Anthony Edwards
13. Precious Achiuwa
14. Tyrese Maxey
15. Jalen Smith
16. Aaron Nesmith
17. Malachi Flynn
18. Kira Lewis Jr
19. Desmond Bane
20. Tyrell Terry
21. RJ Hampton
22. Cole Anthony
23. Isaiah Stewart
24. Tre Jones
25. Jordan Nwora

Reactions: Noahtogo24
To be honest I don’t know a lot about him. What makes you say that?

He’s the youngest American in the draft, and yet has an NBA body right now. Massive hands. Tree trunks for legs. Incredible work ethic and high basketball IQ. Humble enough to accept a role at FSU where he came off the bench.

Versatile defender he can guard 3 through small ball 5. 80+% from the FT line. Will be a good C&S three point shooter in the NBA and also has a nice two dribble pull-up game from the midrange. Underrated as a playmaker. He has plus vision and can zip a pass cross court that hits a man right in his pocket. Big time athlete who posterized Yves Pons (SEC DPoY) and finished all kinds of lobs.

Reactions: MGC_07
For those of y’all who care, here’s my final top 25 Big Board. Consider it the nba version of @dukedevilz bad ass lists.

Note this is not a mock draft—because teams are idiots. I used a healthy mix of a player’s floor and ceiling, with the ultimate goal of projecting who will be the most impactful in a few years. Save this and call me out on it in 5 years.

1. LaMelo Ball
2. Patrick Williams
3. Obi Toppin
4. Tyrese Haliburton
5. James Wiseman
6. Onyeka Okongwu
7. Devin Vassell
8. Saddiq Bey
9. Deni Avdija
10. Isaac Okoro
11. Killian Hayes
12. Anthony Edwards
13. Precious Achiuwa
14. Tyrese Maxey
15. Jalen Smith
16. Aaron Nesmith
17. Malachi Flynn
18. Kira Lewis Jr
19. Desmond Bane
20. Tyrell Terry
21. RJ Hampton
22. Cole Anthony
23. Isaiah Stewart
24. Tre Jones
25. Jordan Nwora

Nice list! Honestly I'm biased, would it be too much of a reach for Smith at 9 by DC?

ADVERTISEMENT