ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 Way Too Early Top 50 Teams & Top 100 Players

I had 9 players from the Big Ten in the top 50. So, essentially all 9 of those players would be projected to make 1st or 2nd Team All-Conference. You still feeling confident about Iowa having 3 of the top 50 players? If you do, let's make a year long avatar bet. If Iowa has 3+ players earn 1st or 2nd Team All-Big Ten, then I'll use any avatar provided by you. If it's two players or less making 2nd Team All-Big Ten, then I'll pick your avatar for a year.
this year team will have these as All BT teamers
Garza 1st Team All BT
Wieskamp 3rd Team All BT
Jordan 3rd Team All BT
Fredrick All BT FR Team

so the possibility of Wieskamp and Jordan making the 2nd Team All BT is not be out of reach. with Fredrick being 3rd Team All BT. he was the best 3 point shooter in the BT as a FR @46.1% and he will be helped by JBo a career 3 point shooter of 40%+, Weezy as a FR avg'd 42.4% from 3. last season the BT defense adjusted to stop him as Iowa was W/O JBo and Fredrick was out with a foot injury Iowa's 2 offensive threats were Weezy and Garza.

talk about a solid 3 some at shooting over 40% from 3. add in Garza who shot 35.8% from 3 and even Connor who improved from 20.7% from 3 as a FR to 34% from 3 as a SO. he can't be left alone on the perimeter

these will be the shooter's this season
Toussaint assist a steals leader
JBo 40%+ from 3
Weezy 42.4% 3 ir will he shoot in the mid 50's
Connor mid 30's
Garza mid 30's
Fredick 46% from 3

even Nunge as a FR shot 33% from 3, don't see too many BT teams with a group of shooters like that, JBo brings that long rebounding ability that was lacking, a healthy Fredrick should help rebound those long rebounds improving the defense in the process.

this year team will have these as All BT teamers
Garza 1st Team All BT
Wieskamp 3rd Team All BT
Jordan 3rd Team All BT
Fredrick All BT FR Team

so the possibility of Wieskamp and Jordan making the 2nd Team All BT is not be out of reach. with Fredrick being 3rd Team All BT. he was the best 3 point shooter in the BT as a FR @46.1% and he will be helped by JBo a career 3 point shooter of 40%+, Weezy as a FR avg'd 42.4% from 3. last season the BT defense adjusted to stop him as Iowa was W/O JBo and Fredrick was out with a foot injury Iowa's 2 offensive threats were Weezy and Garza.

talk about a solid 3 some at shooting over 40% from 3. add in Garza who shot 35.8% from 3 and even Connor who improved from 20.7% from 3 as a FR to 34% from 3 as a SO. he can't be left alone on the perimeter

these will be the shooter's this season
Toussaint assist a steals leader
JBo 40%+ from 3
Weezy 42.4% 3 ir will he shoot in the mid 50's
Connor mid 30's
Garza mid 30's
Fredick 46% from 3

even Nunge as a FR shot 33% from 3, don't see too many BT teams with a group of shooters like that, JBo brings that long rebounding ability that was lacking, a healthy Fredrick should help rebound those long rebounds improving the defense in the process.

Great. Seems like you're confident in your players. So, you good with the terms of the avatar bet?

Reactions: CO_hawk
Great. Seems like you're confident in your players. So, you good with the terms of the avatar bet?
sure if there is a season. actually I have faith in Fran's ability to develope his players
non top 150 3* Marble 1st team All BT
non top 150 3* White 1st team All BT
top 150 3* Uthoff 1st team All BT 2nd team AA
non top 150 3* Jok 1st team All BT
4* Cook 2nd team All BT
4* Wieskamp 3rd team All BT
Jordan non top 150 by rivals 3* 3rd team All BT 4* non top 100 by ESPN.
4* NON top 100 by Rivals Garza 1st team All BT, BT POY 1st team AA and Sporting News POY top 100 4* by ESPN.

this season will be the best team in Fran's 20 years on paper in that 20 years he has 454 wins, for a 22.7 wps avg. one of just 4 coaches to take over a losing DI program and take them to the NCAAT.

Don't bother. I already ban bet him that Iowa wouldn't win the Big Ten outright. He gone.
never agreed as it was a fools bet, as to many thing can happen like a injury to Garza that would put a huge damper on the season.

key injuries can derail a season in a hurry so your bet was not worth my time, as for avatar bets I have no problem with hail and I had a bet he won the get and I change my Avatar.

even now I am trying to change my Avatar but it keeps declining them due to size is to big.

never agreed as it was a fools bet, as to many thing can happen like a injury to Garza that would put a huge damper on the season.

You said previously it was based on Garza returning. Now you're saying it's invalid because too many things could happen. Interesting. You are right, however, a lot of things can happen - Iowa not winning the Big Ten, for example.

Yes, I'll ban bet you that you don't win the big ten outright.

Weird from the guy that used to not bet.

based on Garza return only.

key injuries can derail a season in a hurry so your bet was not worth my time, as for avatar bets I have no problem with hail and I had a bet he won the get and I change my Avatar.

even now I am trying to change my Avatar but it keeps declining them due to size is to big.
You said that you would accept if it was contingent on Garza playing. I agreed. Bet is on.

What picture are you trying to use? Link it, and I'll make it small enough for you.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
I was semi-meticulous with ranking my guys 1-40. After that, it was kind of a free for all. Some of the assessments made by you all I can definitely get on board with...

Too High:
19. Matt Coleman, Texas
70. D'Mitrik Trice, Wisconsin

Too Low:
74. Paul Scruggs, Xavier
86. Yves Pons, Tennessee
92. Aaron Henry, Michigan State

Players not ranked that should be considered:
David Johnson, Louisville
Joey Hauser, Michigan State
Micah Potter, Wisconsin
Jermaine Samuels, Villanova
Andrew Jones, Texas
Joel Ayayi, Gonzaga
Drew Timme, Gonzaga

Neutral (I feel okay with the ranking, but I could see it going either way):
Franz Wagner, Michigan
Isaiah Livers, Michigan
Wendell Moore, Duke

Assessments that I disagree with:
-rankings that were seen as too high...
17. Corey Kispert, Gonzaga (All-American potential, IMO; minimum of top 50)
18. Kofi Cockburn, Illinois (All-American potential; minimum of top 50)

-I disagree that KU will have a few players more impactful than #35 Agbaji (outside of Garrett). Agbaji will be a very solid #2 option, probably 2nd Team All-Conference.
-Bohannon doesn't merit a whole lot of top 100 consideration. Not even certain that he's going to start, tbh.
Jesus ****ing Christ Turge, we can't even get a guy on the honorable mention list.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Jesus ****ing Christ Turge, we can't even get a guy on the honorable mention list.

I'll extend out to 150 players in October. Wiggins should be in there somewhere... possibly Morsell. Will be fun to see how the Maryland progresses as a team, as most everyone will be taking on much larger roles.

As far as the HM list, I was only mentioning players that were specifically addressed ITT that I believe merit top 100 consideration.

Reactions: bMORE607
I'll extend out to 150 players in October. Wiggins should be in there somewhere... possibly Morsell. Will be fun to see how the Maryland progresses as a team, as most everyone will be taking on much larger roles.

As far as the HM list, I was only mentioning players that were specifically addressed ITT that I believe merit top 100 consideration.
We're going to suck ass unless Wiggins, Morsell, and Ayala all make jumps and are consistent. Hopefully this is Turge's last year.

We're going to suck ass unless Wiggins, Morsell, and Ayala all make jumps and are consistent. Hopefully this is Turge's last year.

Cracks me up how you're always blasting Turge. Should he be fired in the next year or two, who do you think is a realistic candidate to replace him?

Cracks me up how you're always blasting Turge. Should he be fired in the next year or two, who do you think is a realistic candidate to replace him?
I've defended him as much as I can. I just can't take it anymore, we don't improve. No idea on candidates because were stuck with Turge forever.

Last edited:
I was semi-meticulous with ranking my guys 1-40. After that, it was kind of a free for all. Some of the assessments made by you all I can definitely get on board with...

Too High:
19. Matt Coleman, Texas
70. D'Mitrik Trice, Wisconsin

Too Low:
74. Paul Scruggs, Xavier
86. Yves Pons, Tennessee
92. Aaron Henry, Michigan State

Players not ranked that should be considered:
David Johnson, Louisville
Joey Hauser, Michigan State
Micah Potter, Wisconsin
Jermaine Samuels, Villanova
Andrew Jones, Texas
Joel Ayayi, Gonzaga
Drew Timme, Gonzaga

Neutral (I feel okay with the ranking, but I could see it going either way):
Franz Wagner, Michigan
Isaiah Livers, Michigan
Wendell Moore, Duke

Assessments that I disagree with:
-rankings that were seen as too high...
17. Corey Kispert, Gonzaga (All-American potential, IMO; minimum of top 50)
18. Kofi Cockburn, Illinois (All-American potential; minimum of top 50)

-I disagree that KU will have a few players more impactful than #35 Agbaji (outside of Garrett). Agbaji will be a very solid #2 option, probably 2nd Team All-Conference.
-Bohannon doesn't merit a whole lot of top 100 consideration. Not even certain that he's going to start, tbh.

Really great stuff, @dukedevilz I always love the effort you put into it and the willingness to respond to critiques.

A lot of the “proposed changes” make sense to me. I’ll add a couple FSU/ACC related ones.

FSU at 15 feels a tad under valued. Not saying they are top 5, but with the addition of Tanor Ngom (and maybe one more still to come), I’d have no lower than 12. Maybe even 8-10.

Ironically, Scottie Barnes is too high, I think. He will be good, don’t get me wrong, but he won’t be a 1st team all ACC player. I’d have him in the 25-40 range.

Remember the name Sardaar Calhoun. I’m not suggesting he should necessarily be ranked in the top 100...but he could very well end the season there. Wouldn’t be surprised if he only spends one year in Tallahassee. He may technically be our 6th man, but he’s gonna play 20+ minutes a game and they will be electric.

For others within the ACC:
Michael DeVoe should be higher.
Miami as a team lower.
Garrison Brooks higher.
Wendell Moore lower.
UVA top 3.

Also, I’d move West Virginia a few spots higher too.

Yeah Jalen Johnson seems pretty high. As someone mentioned, he’s composite ranked 12th. Ziare Williams is composite top 5 and ranked 64th. Josh Christopher is ranked higher than Jalen Johnson on composite and barely made the top 100. Jalen Johnson at 12 seems really high.

Sarr is a good player and that's it. Thinking he's a final piece to UK making a FF run is fools gold.
“He’s elite now that he’s at UK”

Lol he’s good but nothing to write home about. Give me Malik Williams all day.

Where's Trendon Watford???? I thought maybe he was unranked because he was currently in the NBA draft, but so is Javonte Smart and you have him ranked.

A sleeper could be Romeo Weeks. Looked good in spurts last year, could make a big jump this year.

“He’s elite now that he’s at UK”

Lol he’s good but nothing to write home about. Give me Malik Williams all day.

Yup, this could be Ryan Harrow 2.0. Sarr looked great against UNC but who didn't. He'll have a better coach to play for but will he become a better player? I don't think he will.

Reactions: UL_1986
Yup, this could be Ryan Harrow 2.0. Sarr looked great against UNC but who didn't. He'll have a better coach to play for but will he become a better player? I don't think he will.
He looked decent against us. Both of our bigs still scored in double figures on him. Not worried about it.

Really great stuff, @dukedevilz I always love the effort you put into it and the willingness to respond to critiques.

A lot of the “proposed changes” make sense to me. I’ll add a couple FSU/ACC related ones.

FSU at 15 feels a tad under valued. Not saying they are top 5, but with the addition of Tanor Ngom (and maybe one more still to come), I’d have no lower than 12. Maybe even 8-10.

Ironically, Scottie Barnes is too high, I think. He will be good, don’t get me wrong, but he won’t be a 1st team all ACC player. I’d have him in the 25-40 range.

Remember the name Sardaar Calhoun. I’m not suggesting he should necessarily be ranked in the top 100...but he could very well end the season there. Wouldn’t be surprised if he only spends one year in Tallahassee. He may technically be our 6th man, but he’s gonna play 20+ minutes a game and they will be electric.

For others within the ACC:
Michael DeVoe should be higher.
Miami as a team lower.
Garrison Brooks higher.
Wendell Moore lower.
UVA top 3.

Also, I’d move West Virginia a few spots higher too.

I'm not familiar with Tanor Ngom. Just looking at video of him, and he looks very agile. Amazing how Ham always finds multiple 7 footers. Will he move the needle very much? Also, Cisse just committed to Memphis. Was he the other possible target? I'll take your word for it on Barnes being overvalued. You would have better insight into how impactful he might be. Usually fans say that their players are undervalued, it's only natural to have high expectations for the guys on your team. So if someone says their guy is overvalued, that will carry more weight... and I'm likely to lower the ranking once I re-evaluate the players in October.

I do know who Sardaar Calhou is, however. He's one of the top-ranked JUCO players in the country. Only thing is, evaluating JUCOs is very, very difficiult. Defense is usually lack-luster. Chris Duarte (Oregon) and Wendell Mitchell (Texas A&M) were the top-ranked JUCO players from the past two years. Both are decent players, but not exactly the Delon Wright or Chris Boucher superstars you would hope to get from the JUCO elites. I probably would have ranked Jay Scrubb, but that's about it.

As far as the other rankings within the ACC, most of your differences of opinion seem reasonable. I am curious to know your take on Miami, though. They return 6 of their top 7 players, bring in Cincinnati's starting center from 2019 (#22 in final AP Poll), Nysier Brooks, and bring in Earl Timberlake, a top 40 recruit. They're really only losing a high-volume, average shooter in Vasiljevic. Wong and Beverly have the potential to be really good, too.

Last edited:
He looked decent against us. Both of our bigs still scored in double figures on him. Not worried about it.

In 3 career games against FSU, Sarr scored 15 total points. 9 of the 15 came at the free throw line.

Its easy to double a guy or focus on a guy when that's all they have on offense. There is a reason this guy is touted one of the bigger transfers/decisions of the offseason. Anyone who doesn't think he improves UK by quite a bit is fooling themselves.

Yeah Jalen Johnson seems pretty high. As someone mentioned, he’s composite ranked 12th. Ziare Williams is composite top 5 and ranked 64th. Josh Christopher is ranked higher than Jalen Johnson on composite and barely made the top 100. Jalen Johnson at 12 seems really high.

Jalen Johnson was the #4 prospect on the composite rankings heading into the 2019-20 season. He dropped quite a bit because he went a good three months without playing a game. Still a top 5 recruit, IMO. All else being equal (relatively equal), I'm going to value players more if they're on better teams, which is why I have him and Scottie Barnes ahead of Evan Mobley.

Truthfully, I don't really know how to evaluate freshmen. I haven't seen them play in meaningful games. Last year, I only had two freshmen make the top 50 of my most impactful players. And Zeke Nnaji, a 4-star recruit, was the third highest-rated freshmen after Vernon Carey and Onyeka Okongkwu (not a top 10 recruit himself). Lots of top 10 guys don't even make the top 100 (i.e. Scottie Lewis, Jaden McDaniels, Cam Reddish)

Where's Trendon Watford???? I thought maybe he was unranked because he was currently in the NBA draft, but so is Javonte Smart and you have him ranked.

A sleeper could be Romeo Weeks. Looked good in spurts last year, could make a big jump this year.

It's possible I just assumed he was NBA-bound. He probably needs to be in the top 100 somewhere.

I'm not familiar with Tanor Ngom. Just looking at video of him, and he looks very agile. Amazing how Ham always finds multiple 7 footers. Will he move the needle very much? Also, Cisse just committed to Memphis. Was he the other possible target? I'll take your word for it on Barnes being overvalued. You would have better insight into how impactful he might be. Usually fans say that their players are undervalued, it's only natural to have high expectations for the guys on your team. So if someone says their guy is overvalued, that will carry more weight... and I'm likely to lower the ranking once I re-evaluate the players in October.

I do know who Sardaar Calhou is, however. He's one of the top-ranked JUCO players in the country. Only thing is, evaluating JUCOs is very, very difficiult. Defense is usually lack-luster. Chris Duarte (Oregon) and Wendell Mitchell (Texas A&M) were the top-ranked JUCO players from the past two years. Both are decent players, but not exactly the Delon Wright or Chris Boucher superstars you would hope to get from the JUCO elites. I probably would have ranked Jay Scrubb, but that's about it.

As far as the other rankings within the ACC, most of your differences of opinion seem reasonable. I am curious to know your take on Miami, though. They return 6 of their top 7 players, bring in Cincinnati's starting center from 2019 (#22 in final AP Poll), Nysier Brooks, and bring in Earl Timberlake, a top 40 recruit. They're really only losing a high-volume, average shooter in Vasiljevic. Wong

Ngom is only coming in for one year, so yeah he’s gonna play. Probably will start based on how Ham loves to win the opening tip. You see the footage of him playing against Zion and Duke two years ago? Where he swatted Zion’s shot and several others? I expect Ngom and Balsa to both play 15-18 min a game, and for Ngom to be the back line rim protector we were missing last year on D.

Your point about defense for Jucos is real. But Hamilton doesn’t play kids who aren’t defending, and Calhoun is already being spoken of highly by coaches. You look at previous JUCO guys under Ham like Tim Pickett, Jerel Allen, Braian Angola Rodas, and Rayquan Evans last year. These guys come in and play and they defend. Shoot, Tim Pickett was on the All ACC defense team his two years in Tally.

Calhoun and MJ Walker on the court together at times will be a flat out nightmare for teams. It kind of flew under the radar last year because Vassell and Forrest were so good, but MJ Walker shot 39% on 3s in ACC play (he was banged up and missed time early in the season). That’s on 87 attempts, so not a small sample size. Him and Calhoun are both 6’5, both explosive, and both will be knocking down threes from all over the court. Add in 6’5 defensive dynamo Anthony Polite (who shot 38.5% himself from 3 in ACC play)...and anyone who thinks FSU can’t realistically repeat as regular season champs are fooling themselves.

As for Miami, I’d feel better about them as a team if Chris Lykes left or got hurt. He’s a massive liability on D and shoots them out of as many games as he keeps them in. I think they would be better off turning the keys over to Beverly (who’s legit) and Wong. As it is, top 45 feels good for Miami, but not top 35. Somewhere down near GT and NCSU.

Cisse wasn’t who I was expecting at all. That ship sailed weeks ago. I was talking about Yor Anei, but actually it looks like he just popped for SMU. FSU still has one ship open, and it’s possible we bring in someone like Jermontae Hill (I actually hope we don’t), but with Anei off the board our 10 major contributors (at least 10 mpg) appear to be set:

Guards: Barnes, Walker, Polite, Evans, Calhoun

Hybrid wings: Gray, Osborne, Wilkes

Centers: Balsa and Ngom.

Its easy to double a guy or focus on a guy when that's all they have on offense. There is a reason this guy is touted one of the bigger transfers/decisions of the offseason. Anyone who doesn't think he improves UK by quite a bit is fooling themselves.
I think he’s good no doubt, but Malik played like 19 minutes against him and had 11 points. Those two are similar builds, so it should be fun watching them go after it.

FSU doesn’t double folks consistently, especially down low. We were just bigger and more athletic than Sarr.

Kerry Blackshear was supposed to be UF’s missing piece last year and all the ACC guys said “he’s solid, but not spectacular” Blackshear had similar issues against FSU that Sarr had. No one wanted to listen but look how that turned out.

You said that you would accept if it was contingent on Garza playing. I agreed. Bet is on.

What picture are you trying to use? Link it, and I'll make it small enough for you.
Garza has not said he is coming back that decision is being made on August 2nd and it looks like his father is pushing him to go play over seas.

just read this about Fredrick
was 1 of 3 players in D1 to avg 10.2 ppg and shoot 46%+ and was the only player to record these for stats in the same season going back to 1993
65 assists
32 T/O's
and shoot 46+% from 3

and he will be coming off the bench. the key is Garza and what type of season if there is one that gets played.

FSU doesn’t double folks consistently, especially down low. We were just bigger and more athletic than Sarr.

Kerry Blackshear was supposed to be UF’s missing piece last year and all the ACC guys said “he’s solid, but not spectacular” Blackshear had similar issues against FSU that Sarr had. No one wanted to listen but look how that turned out.
Don’t think I need to mention it, but playing with two lottery picks I would think would benefit the guy a ton. I’m not touting him to be an All American by any means but if he can be what Nick Richards was for us this past season, that’s all we need to have FF potential.

Don’t think I need to mention it, but playing with two lottery picks I would think would benefit the guy a ton. I’m not touting him to be an All American by any means but if he can be what Nick Richards was for us this past season, that’s all we need to have FF potential.

You mean NPOY candidate Nick Richards? Laughing

If we made a poll for biggest homer on this board, you would win going away. Maybe tie with Bert.

Haha...always a copout. Should be easy to think of at least one irrational take from the board's biggest homer.

Reactions: KisteK
ADVERTISEMENT