ADVERTISEMENT

2020-21 College Basketball Draft, FINAL STANDINGS

My gut instinct with my first round pick was Ayo Dosunmu. Then I talked myself out of it, and took Sam Hauser. Still too early to tell how things will turn out, but yeah, Dosunmu has one of the highest ceilings in the country. Here are the way too early national leaders in Win Shares:

Win Shares
1.Ayo Dosunmu Illinois1.3
2.Alex Barcello BYU1.1
3.Michael Flowers South Alabama1.0
4.Trendon Watford LSU1.0
5.Carlik Jones Louisville1.0
6.Kendric Davis SMU0.9
7.Marvin Nesbitt UMKC0.9
8.Jaylen Sims UNC Wilmington0.9
9.Mike Bothwell Furman0.9
10.Paul Scruggs Xavier0.9
Dosunmu is someone I talked myself out of too. Hoping Cade comes through but Dosunmu sure has started off hot.

I'd like to thank you both for talking yourself out of drafting Ayo.

I'd like to thank you both for talking yourself out of drafting Ayo.

By the way, I'm feeling pretty good about my Jalen Suggs pick. That dude is a stud!

Dosunmu was my first thought when I was on the clock. But, the strength of the Big Ten scared me a little bit. I couldn't help but think, "The conference is so stacked there's a chance he may not even be 1st Team All-Conference." Bad choice on my part. UVA has to win the ACC for my pick to even be remotely worth 1st Round value. Hauser's raw numbers simply won't be good enough on their own.

And yes, Suggs is a monster on both sides of the ball. Sadly, he is the guy I was thinking about taking in the 3rd Round. I went with the safer pick in Corey Kispert. I knew Suggs was a dynamic playmaker, but I worried about his ability to shoot from the perimeter. From everything I could find, he consistently shot in the low 30's from 3. And then you worry about how will a freshmen can integrate into a program with fewer practices and a shortened season. Your team is sitting nicely, indeed. You have two legitimate 1st Team All-American picks in Dosunmu and Suggs.

And here's the current national leaderboard for Win Shares. Garza, Dosunmu, Carr, and Scruggs are the only ones that were drafted in our league. I did have Barcello and Bouyea in my top 150 players, however. Crazy how Tommy Kuhse started at SMC as a walk-on.

Win Shares
1.DeVante Jones Coastal Carolina2.4
2.Luka Garza Iowa2.1
3.Alex Barcello BYU2.1
4.Tommy Kuhse Saint Mary's2.0
5.Michael Flowers South Alabama1.8
6.Ayo Dosunmu Illinois1.8
7.Quincy Guerrier Syracuse1.8
8.Jamaree Bouyea San Francisco1.7
9.Marcus Carr Minnesota1.7
10.Paul Scruggs Xavier1.7

Dosunmu was my first thought when I was on the clock. But, the strength of the Big Ten scared me a little bit. I couldn't help but think, "The conference is so stacked there's a chance he may not even be 1st Team All-Conference." Bad choice on my part. UVA has to win the ACC for my pick to even be remotely worth 1st Round value. Hauser's raw numbers simply won't be good enough on their own.

And yes, Suggs is a monster on both sides of the ball. Sadly, he is the guy I was thinking about taking in the 3rd Round. I went with the safer pick in Corey Kispert. I knew Suggs was a dynamic playmaker, but I worried about his ability to shoot from the perimeter. From everything I could find, he consistently shot in the low 30's from 3. And then you worry about how will a freshmen can integrate into a program with fewer practices and a shortened season. Your team is sitting nicely, indeed. You have two legitimate 1st Team All-American picks in Dosunmu and Suggs.
It's way early but I have 3 of the top 8 KPOY players right now with Da Silva in there too.

PlayerkPOY
Rating
Luka Garza, Iowa
6-11 · 265 · Sr · Washington, DC
Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
6-9 · 245 · So · Greenwood, IN
Jalen Suggs, Gonzaga
6-4 · 205 · Fr · west St.Paul, MN
Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois
6-5 · 200 · Jr · Chicago, IL
Jared Butler, Baylor
6-3 · 195 · Jr · Reserve, LA
Cameron Krutwig, Loyola Chicago
6-9 · 255 · Sr · Algonquin, IL
Derek Culver, West Virginia
6-10 · 255 · Jr · Youngstown, OH
Oscar da Silva, Stanford
6-9 · 230 · Sr · Munich, Germany
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, Villanova
6-9 · 230 · So · Overland Park, KS
Drew Timme, Gonzaga
6-10 · 235 · So · Richardson, TX

Reactions: dukedevilz
It's way early but I have 3 of the top 8 KPOY players right now with Da Silva in there too.

PlayerkPOY
Rating
1Luka Garza, Iowa
2Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
3Jalen Suggs, Gonzaga
6-4 · 205 · Fr · west St.Paul, MN
4Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois
5Jared Butler, Baylor
6Cameron Krutwig, Loyola Chicago
6-9 · 255 · Sr · Algonquin, IL
7Derek Culver, West Virginia
6-10 · 255 · Jr · Youngstown, OH
8Oscar da Silva, Stanford
9Jeremiah Robinson-Earl, Villanova
10Drew Timme, Gonzaga
I got 2 guys on that list. I can’t complain.

Jalen Johnson being hurt sucks for my team though.

I took Keyontae Johnson in the 2nd Round. He was the SEC Preseason POY. 1st Team All-Conference lock, no question. Possible All-American selection. I love his efficiency more than anything. Not sure what his status is after he collapsed against FSU, but wouldn't be surprised if he's out for the season. Hopefully it's not career debilitating, but you worry what the effects could be if suffered from an aneurysm or stroke. Florida will struggle mightily without him in the lineup.

Reactions: MGC_07
I took Keyontae Johnson in the 2nd Round. He was the SEC Preseason POY. 1st Team All-Conference lock, no question. Possible All-American selection. I love his efficiency more than anything. Not sure what his status is after he collapsed against FSU, but wouldn't be surprised if he's out for the season. Hopefully it's not career debilitating, but you worry what the effects could be if suffered from an aneurysm or stroke. Florida will struggle mightily without him in the lineup.
Yeah, that one sucks. Heartbreaking for the kid if it ends up threatening his career.

Keyontae Johnson was the first player to have a season ending injury.

UCLA's Chris Smith is now out for the year with a torn ACL. And Houston's Caleb Mills is taking a leave of absence from the team for personal reasons. I suspect he won't return to to the team.

I'll run some numbers within the next week and detail how everyone's team is doing.

It's karma for you tricking me into drafting Charlie Moore with my last pick.

It's karma for you tricking me into drafting Charlie Moore with my last pick.

Nah. Charlie Moore was Preseason 1st Team All-Conference. He's going to have a better season than Ziaire Williams and Caleb Love, if nothing else.

The box score below is almost as perplexing as the Saint Mary's-Arizona State game last year when SMC won by 40 points, and Alonzo Verge scored 43 of the 56 points for ASU. Evan Mobley, one of the most highly regarded players in the country, played 31 minutes against Utah and didn't get off a single field goal attempt. And USC won by 18 points. Go figure.

usc-mobley.jpg

The box score below is almost as perplexing as the Saint Mary's-Arizona State game last year when SMC won by 40 points, and Alonzo Verge scored 43 of the 56 points for ASU. Evan Mobley, one of the most highly regarded players in the country, played 31 minutes against Utah and didn't get off a single field goal attempt. And USC won by 18 points. Go figure.

usc-mobley.jpg

can't blame the coaches since his dad is one of them :)

can't blame the coaches since his dad is one of them :)

Truth. Just really weird to see that box score. I don't get the Pac-12 Network; that conference has never really inspired me to watch those extra games. I'm sure Utah was doubling in the post, but you'd think he could still get off a few shots. Chevez Goodwin, a 6'9 big man, had 7 FGA off the bench.

Truth. Just really weird to see that box score. I don't get the Pac-12 Network; that conference has never really inspired me to watch those extra games. I'm sure Utah was doubling in the post, but you'd think he could still get off a few shots. Chevez Goodwin, a 6'9 big man, had 7 FGA off the bench.

you should watch some Pac12 this year. The conference is on the upswing. No great team, but lots of good teams. And loaded with top rated freshman. And as a bonus, you get Bill Walton!

you should watch some Pac12 this year. The conference is on the upswing. No great team, but lots of good teams. And loaded with top rated freshman. And as a bonus, you get Bill Walton!

Oh, for sure. Love Walton. And there are quite a few fun teams to watch in that league. I watch the games on the ESPN Network. But, not going to pay extra to get the Pac-12 Network. I already get the Big Ten, ACC, and SEC Network with my current tv package.

Keyontae Johnson was the first player to have a season ending injury.

UCLA's Chris Smith is now out for the year with a torn ACL. And Houston's Caleb Mills is taking a leave of absence from the team for personal reasons. I suspect he won't return to to the team.

I'll run some numbers within the next week and detail how everyone's team is doing.
Looks like @WojoRising is losing his #1 pick:

As a human being, I think it’s critical we all take a step back and cancel this season of the basketball draft because of COVID. We gave it a shot, but it just didn’t work.

Reactions: UL_1986
So @dukedevilz, when are we going to drop a player? Looking through my team, it might actually be Mitchell Ballock that I drop. Pretty stunning to me.

are we going to drop a player? Looking through my team, it might actually be Mitchell Ballock that I drop. Pretty stunning to me.

Probably give it until the end of January. And yeah, kind of crazy about Ballock. He's regressed a bit this season, for whatever reason. Pretty sure I had him ranked in the top 50 somewhere.

As a human being, I think it’s critical we all take a step back and cancel this season of the basketball draft because of COVID. We gave it a shot, but it just didn’t work.

Losing Oscar is a huger stinker. I lost Keyonate Johnson, my 2nd round pick, a few weeks back. Little chance I have at repeating my 2nd place finish now. But, it's all in the name of fun.

Someone should have taken that flyer on Kai Jones

I expect him to develop even more by the end of the year

Just going on appearance alone and not stats he looks like the best player on the floor

Have a feeling before the end of the year he will break out with a few big time scoring games.

Duke guys, when will Jalen Johnson be back? He was my second rounder.

Someone should have taken that flyer on Kai Jones

I expect him to develop even more by the end of the year

Just going on appearance alone and not stats he looks like the best player on the floor

Have a feeling before the end of the year he will break out with a few big time scoring games.

Nah. There are literally dozens of omissions more noteworthy than Kai Jones (i.e. Hunter Dickinson, Cam Thomas, Kendric Davis). In your own conference, just about everyone would want Austin Reaves, Davion Mitchell, and Jalen Wilson before Kai Jones. He's a very talented player, but given how Texas has a very balanced lineup, he's not going to manage many points in this scoring system.

Duke guys, when will Jalen Johnson be back? He was my second rounder.

He just returned to the team last week. He hasn't started practicing yet, but is allegedly close to being ready for practice. Initially was ruled out for a minimum of 2-3 weeks. I think it's reasonable to expect his return within the next two weeks.

Reactions: sgrooms
2021 kenpom.com Player of the Year Standings
Data through games of Tuesday, January 12

PlayerkPOY
Rating
Luka Garza, Iowa
Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois
Jared Butler, Baylor
Hunter Dickinson, Michigan
7-1 · 255 · Fr · Hyattsville, MD
Drew Timme, Gonzaga
Trevion Williams, Purdue
6-10 · 265 · Jr · Chicago, IL
Oscar da Silva, Stanford
Quentin Grimes, Houston
6-5 · 205 · Jr · The Woodlands, TX

Reactions: Jaycg15

@jwill133 Bouknight has been killing it this season. He was your second round pick. All-American type numbers. I have no idea how long he'll be out.

Man, attrition is a real thing for this draft! Seems like more injuries than usual. I'll try to get a list out next week which breaks down the stats for everyone.

Reactions: MGC_07
I honestly can't see Huff being 1st Team All-Conference. I could see him being Defensive Conference POY, which is 4 points and equivalent to being 1st Team. But, he's likely UVA's #3 guy behind Sam Hauser and Kihei Clark. I see Huff's ceiling being maybe 2nd Team All-Conference. I could easily see Timme being 2nd or 3rd Team All-American, however. But, who knows? I've certainly been wrong before.
How are you feeling about Huff now?

Data through games of Sunday, January 17
PlayerkPOY
Rating
Luka Garza, Iowa
Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois
Jared Butler, Baylor
Drew Timme, Gonzaga
Trevion Williams, Purdue
Hunter Dickinson, Michigan
Quentin Grimes, Houston
Jay Huff, Virginia
7-1 · 240 · Sr · Durham, NC

PlayerkPOY
Rating
1Luka Garza, Iowa
2Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois
3Jared Butler, Baylor
4Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
5Drew Timme, Gonzaga
6Trevion Williams, Purdue
7Hunter Dickinson, Michigan
8Quentin Grimes, Houston
10Jay Huff, Virginia
Might have more to do with the rest of the ACC.

PlayerkPOY
Rating
1Luka Garza, Iowa
2Ayo Dosunmu, Illinois
3Jared Butler, Baylor
4Trayce Jackson-Davis, Indiana
5Drew Timme, Gonzaga
6Trevion Williams, Purdue
7Hunter Dickinson, Michigan
8Quentin Grimes, Houston
10Jay Huff, Virginia

He's definitely their most efficient player. I did say I thought he could be ACC DPOY and 2nd Team All-Conference. I'll concede in saying he's performing much better than I anticipated. Problem with UVA, is they have the slowest tempo in the country. And when you only play 23 minutes a night, your raw numbers aren't overly impressive. 13 pts, 6 rebs, and 2 blocks means something when you're averaging less than 23 minutes a night, but most voters are looking at points and rebounds per game, instead of the advanced statistics.

Also, I've said all along that I thought UVA was the team to beat in the ACC. Logically, you'd think UVA gets in at least one player on the 1st Team. Some may think Sam Hauser is playing better, but most voters would give the nod to Huff over Hauser at this point. Also, he's probably the leading candidate for ACC DPOY. Here's how I would rank the most valuable ACC players at this point:

1. Justin Champagnie, Pittsburgh
2. Matthew Hurt, Duke
3. Carlik Jones, Louisville
4. Jay Huff, Virginia
5. Jose Alvarado, Georgia Tech
6. MJ Walker, Florida State
7. Keve Aluma, Virginia Tech
8. Sam Hauser, Virginia
9. Isaiah Wong, Miami
10. Alan Griffin/Quincy Guerrier, Syracuse

Also, you were a little skeptical of Huff, too. And Marcus Carr. I also had Terrence Clark and Caleb Love as my #2 and #3 most overvalued picks, which I think I was more or less correct. I erred in thinking Huff was overvalued, mostly because his potential as DPOY was enormously high. I'll never forget his 10-block performance against Duke last year. I incorrectly assumed he was the #3 guy. I make dozen of picks every year. Inevitably I'm going to be wrong on several projections. I was wrong about this one. And I think Huff has a solid shot at being both 1st Team All-Conference and DPOY.

Biggest reach - Jay Huff (Virginia) by @WeAreDePaul, Runner-up - Marcus Carr (Minnesota) by

^Aamir Simms deserves consideration for being a top 10 player in the ACC, as well.

No doubt. I was far from infallible in this process. I was just surprised when I looked at KPOY and saw him up there and remembered your comment.

He's definitely elevated his game. His PER has skyrocketed from 23.7 last season, to 36.4 this season. He's absolutely worthy of being a top 20-25, IMO. That's the madness of making projections, I guess. Some guys get a lot better, some guys stay the same, and some even regress. Thankfully, the element of the unknown is what makes the game is so exciting.

He's definitely elevated his game. His PER has skyrocketed from 23.7 last season, to 36.4 this season. He's absolutely worthy of being a top 20-25, IMO. That's the madness of making projections, I guess. Some guys get a lot better, some guys stay the same, and some even regress. Thankfully, the element of the unknown is what makes the game is so exciting.
Absolutely. I'm still kicking myself for letting Jimbo grab Trevion Williams. I thought I could wait one more round.

Absolutely. I'm still kicking myself for letting Jimbo grab Trevion Williams. I thought I could wait one more round.

I actually almost took Trevion Williams in Round 4. He was my backup pick to Marcus Carr.

It’s amazing that I can be too big of a homer and not big enough of a homer at the same time.

Seriously. How could you sleep on Hunter Dickinson? I do remember him outplaying Evan Mobley in a HS game last year. And you took Mobley in Round 2.

It’s amazing that I can be too big of a homer and not big enough of a homer at the same time.
Maybe it's because you took a lot of grief last year for taking the entire Michigan starting 5 (or maybe it just seemed that way :).

Maybe it's because you took a lot of grief last year for taking the entire Michigan starting 5 (or maybe it just seemed that way :).

Last year I took Simpson and Teske but faded livers. This year I took Wagner and Livers but faded Dickinson.

ADVERTISEMENT