ADVERTISEMENT

15 Days until Selection Sunday

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
Whole lot to talk about with conference standings, postponements/rescheduling, different rankings and bracketologies.

Safe to say we know the top couple of seeds, but after that, it' should be a wild ride.

Might as well have a running thread that I'll amend the thread title daily. *and go down in a blaze of glory in 18 days and 6 hours when the final field is announced.

Most know more than others, but which rankings/science/opinions do you guys trust the best when it comes to seeding, bubble watch etc.?

Most know more than others, but which rankings/science/opinions do you guys trust the best when it comes to seeding, bubble watch etc.?

Bracket matrix. Why trust one source when you can have the collective voice of 80+ wash out the bias?

Also, if you’re interested bracket matrix has longitudinal tracking of which bracketoligists perform the best.

Bracketmatrix is the way to go. The sample size is so large it can correct for a few egregious picks. I might consider being a bracketologists next year. I assume anyone can do it, because some of the picks are quite awful. Take a look at these projections. Here are some of the notable misses. The number in the parenthesis is the average seeding of all the brackets.

Too High
BYU- 3 (7)
Colorado- 4 (8)
Loyola Chicago- 4 (8)
San Diego State- 6 (9)
VCU- 6 (11)
St.Bonaventure- 6 (11)

Too Low
Oklahoma- 8 (3)
Kansas- 8 (4)
Tennessee- 8 (5)
Missouri- 11 (6)

Virginia Tech- Not in the tournament (6)
Clemson- Not in the tournament (7)

Marshall- 7 (Aggregate rankings don't have them in the tournament)
Richmond- 8 (Aggregate rankings don't have them in the tournament)

You should do it, you'd be good at it.

If UK were to (hypothetically) win out, where would you put them? Like an 11 or 12 maybe?

Hard to say, without knowing who they'd play in the SECT - and without knowing how the other teams in the 9-12 range performed. A win over Florida in the regular season - and potentially wins over Tennessee, Alabama, and Arkansas in the SECT would be huge. Georgia was an 8 seed in 2001 with a record of 16-14. That's also the lowest winning percentage of all-time for an at-large bid. But, Georgia also had the #1 SOS in the country. UK already has the 5th toughest schedule in the country, so if they get 3-4 more quality wins, and win out, I think a 9 seed would be perfectly reasonable.

Someone recruit me to root for their team come tournament time. Anyone but Louisville. I don’t need Chlamydia again.
Instead of rooting for some random team, pick teams to root against. That way you can still bring the passion.

Don't trust none of them. I'm not feeling this Quad system at all.
Amen. If anyone realistically thinks beating the number 1 team at home is equivalent to beating the 75th ranked team on the road, they are nuts. I mean top 75 is not even a tourney team. So crazy.

Amen. If anyone realistically thinks beating the number 1 team at home is equivalent to beating the 75th ranked team on the road, they are nuts. I mean top 75 is not even a tourney team. So crazy.

To be fair, it’s not viewed as the same thing. Beating the #1 (NET) team at home would be a Quad 1, tier A win. Whereas beating the #75 (NET) team on the road would be a Quad 1, tier B win.

UCLA - 16-5 (12-3)

Remaining games: Utah, Colorado, Oregon, and USC.

The Trojans kicked our butts a few weeks ago but we're on a 3 game winning streak since that could be 6 by the time we play them again. 19-6 should be good enough to get in.

Why root against teams?
Because he doesn't have a team that he particularly cares about winning. Assuming he has a team that he doesn't want to win, he can pull for their opponent and that way he will have more emotional investment.

So, in fact he would actually be pulling for the opponent of another team.

To be fair, it’s not viewed as the same thing. Beating the #1 (NET) team at home would be a Quad 1, tier A win. Whereas beating the #75 (NET) team on the road would be a Quad 1, tier B win.

So instead of making more quads they have quad 1 A and quad 1 B games?

I guess I just mainly don’t care, and I know there’s been an exception to the rule, but imo if you aren’t good enough to know well before selection Sunday whether or not ur in the tourney, you probably aren’t good enough to make any noise anyways.

As far as seeds, i guess I really just don’t much care either. I’d rather be a 6 or 7 seed than a 4 or 5 anyways, just to dodge the 1 as long as possible theoretically.

This year there’s gonna be 1 #1 seed that everyone is gonna want to be in their bracket, maybe 2 if mich drops a couple games, or I guess just depending on your opinion of them. It’s been Baylor/Gonzaga at the top all year long so it’s hard to view Michigan in the same breathe but they’ve been super impressive. They came out of a covid break and beat wiscky on the road and another break and beat osu on the road. Where as we came out of a covid break an lost by 40 to wisky and 50 to unc. Granted they could practice during their campus wide pause as ours was just men’s basketball.

Reactions: GE Nole
UCLA - 16-5 (12-3)

Remaining games: Utah, Colorado, Oregon, and USC.

The Trojans kicked our butts a few weeks ago but we're on a 3 game winning streak since that could be 6 by the time we play them again. 19-6 should be good enough to get in.
win 3-4 and you should be pretty safe. Or make it to at least the semis in the Conference Tourney.

Reactions: UCLA_Nation
So instead of making more quads they have quad 1 A and quad 1 B games?

I guess I just mainly don’t care, and I know there’s been an exception to the rule, but imo if you aren’t good enough to know well before selection Sunday whether or not ur in the tourney, you probably aren’t good enough to make any noise anyways.

As far as seeds, i guess I really just don’t much care either. I’d rather be a 6 or 7 seed than a 4 or 5 anyways, just to dodge the 1 as long as possible theoretically.

This year there’s gonna be 1 #1 seed that everyone is gonna want to be in their bracket, maybe 2 if mich drops a couple games, or I guess just depending on your opinion of them. It’s been Baylor/Gonzaga at the top all year long so it’s hard to view Michigan in the same breathe but they’ve been super impressive. They came out of a covid break and beat wiscky on the road and another break and beat osu on the road. Where as we came out of a covid break an lost by 40 to wisky and 50 to unc. Granted they could practice during their campus wide pause as ours was just men’s basketball.

Agree with one thing for sure: being a 6 seed, or even an 11 seed, is way better than a 5 or 4. As you said, avoid that 1.

Reactions: Villian07
IMO if you aren’t in the big12 or Big 10 your playing in a watered down conference this year anyways. ACC is way down, sec is mostly the same as usual except Uk isn’t looming as a 1-2 seed, pac 12 is same as usual, Beast is down imo.

Last edited:
Michigan is the logical choice. We pay our players like you guys do and overtook you guys as a better recruiting school.
My idea of being recruited did not include pot shots at the Cats! But it’s not Louisville
giphy.gif

They are properly ranked because of a pretty weak schedule but that is the one team I wouldn't want to play come tournament time.

Unfortunately no control over the schedule. Looked like UNC, VT, and UVA were going to be right there with FSU. In the last 2 days all 3 have lost. Strange year. Now Duke has a shot to make the tourney.

FSU played Indiana and Florida before OOC was shut down. Who knew Indiana would not be good, and Florida would lose their best player for the year. Oh well.

ADVERTISEMENT