ADVERTISEMENT

11) Belmont vs 11) Temple discussion

I've been really impressed with Belmont's freshman big man. He started the game moving pretty gingerly on his sprained ankle, but has dominated down low.

I've been really impressed with Belmont's freshman big man. He started the game moving pretty gingerly on his sprained ankle, but has dominated down low.

Yes, I made a dumb comment about how he was hurting them and he has gone on to be pretty great.

Reactions: Monorojo
Belmont probably would won the OVC Tourney with Muszynski in there. Dude has incredible foot work. Saw him eat Murray State up earlier in the year. Between him, Windler, McClain, and Murphy, Belmont has some really, really solid players. Just stinks that they have to travel from Dayton to Jacksonville... and play Maryland in an early afternoon game on Thursday. It's completely different when you have to play in different cities in the span of just 40 hours.

Really good set of games last night.

The Prairie View-FDU game was interesting to watch. In the first half you saw flashes for FDU. Basically when they protected the ball they got great looks. And PV was shooting out of their minds. It seemed like if FDU could calm down and make fundamental plays they'd be able to come back when PV came back down to Earth. The longer the PV hot shooting and FDU turnovers went on the more this started to seem unlikely. Then it happened and they finally got over the hump. Found it a really entertaining game.

But the Belmont-Temple game was the game of the night. I'm sure others feel the same way, but it was really nice to see a team that many of us have been saying is quality and should be in the tournament come out and show that. Agree 100% that if Muszynski was able to play in the OVC Final they'd be the conference champions. He just put on a clinic last night. They should make a tape of his game last night and show it to all young bigs. It's especially beautiful to watch given the lack of fundamental post play these days. I'm very very curious to see the matchup between him and the Maryland bigs. As others pointed out, what a crazy game of runs. There were 5 or 6 times when a team went on an 8-0 or 10-0 type run and it seemed like the game was theirs. Then the other team would turn around and do the same thing.

Hopefully the rest of the tournament can be as exciting as last night.

I thought the effort level or sense of urgency was up a tick too, even compared with the conference tournaments. All four teams played with reckless abandon at times last night

Reactions: CDNCBBFan
Belmont has the feel of a Sister Jean story. Nobody school, coach has been there forever and just won his first tournament game, bunch of white guys that can shoot and an inside presence which separates them from a lot of similar teams.

Belmont has the feel of a Sister Jean story. Nobody school, coach has been there forever and just won his first tournament game, bunch of white guys that can shoot and an inside presence which separates them from a lot of similar teams.

And they were pretty disciplined.

It's really funny you say that. I was going to post something similar, but then I started thinking about it and realized their style of play has similarities but also significant differences. I think the solid post play, great passing, good outside shooting is all similar. When I watch them this is what reminds me of Loyola-Chicago. Belmont plays very fast though (31st tempo in the country per KP). Loyola was 307th in tempo last year. Belmont's offence is much more efficient and defence is much less efficient. I think we all have a vision of Loyola-Chicago's O being better than it actually was during the year because of their incredible tourney run.

Not trying to diminish your post at all. I have had exactly the same thought, just providing some additional insight.

Reactions: xWVU2010x

If you break down the bracket in terms of groups of 4, this has got to be the most challenging group for me. Maryland, Belmont, LSU, Yale. I can realistically see anyone of those 4 making it to the Sweet 16. I've gone back and forth between Maryland, LSU, and Yale... and after last night, I'm thinking I like Belmont. Idk.

If you break down the bracket in terms of groups of 4, this has got to be the most challenging group for me. Maryland, Belmont, LSU, Yale. I can realistically see anyone of those 4 making it to the Sweet 16. I've gone back and forth between Maryland, LSU, and Yale... and after last night, I'm thinking I like Belmont. Idk.
Yeah, Belmont has truly been battle tested...jumpingsmile

Murray State and Temple. Or I could look at the Quad 1 Records and see that State is 3-9 and Belmont is 2-2.
Quad 1 we are 8-9 meaning we played 17 games against quad 1 while Belmont played four games against quad 1. We played one seeds five or six times. We have wins over #15 Auburn and stomped out Syracuse while Belmont beat a bubble team in Temple and another scrub team in Murray State.

Quad 1 we are 8-9 meaning we played 17 games against quad 1 while Belmont played four games against quad 1. We played one seeds five or six times. We have wins over #15 Auburn and stomped out Syracuse while Belmont beat a bubble team in Temple and another scrub team in Murray State.

Where are you getting your numbers from? You have 3 Quad 1 wins all year. Syracuse, Auburn, Clemson (ACC Tournament). That's it.

Reactions: sgrooms
Where are you getting your numbers from? You have 3 Quad 1 wins all year. Syracuse, Auburn, Clemson (ACC Tournament). That's it.
Well we beat Clemson twice so thats four right there. Already double Belmont. Penn State was a quad 1.

Well we beat Clemson twice so thats four right there. Already double Belmont. Penn State was a quad 1.

Quad 1: Home (1-30), Neutral (1-50), Away (1-75)

Beating teams like Clemson or Syracuse at home is not a Quad 1 win. I'm not saying Belmont is world-beaters, or even beater than NC State. But State had every opportunity to pick up quality wins, and they didn't. It's a weak year for at-large, no questions. I've seen Belmont play three times on tv this year and I've been relatively impressed with their style of play. They're efficient on offense and have good ball movement. Midmajors with top 50 offenses tend to be the ones that are far more likely to upset a team or two. Belmont's offense is currently ranked 19th.

Reactions: sgrooms and kl40504
Quad 1: Home (1-30), Neutral (1-50), Away (1-75)

Beating teams like Clemson or Syracuse at home is not a Quad 1 win. I'm not saying Belmont is world-beaters, or even beater than NC State. But State had every opportunity to pick up quality wins, and they didn't. It's a weak year for at-large, no questions. I've seen Belmont play three times on tv this year and I've been relatively impressed with their style of play. They're efficient on offense and have good ball movement. Midmajors with top 50 offenses tend to be the ones that are far more likely to upset a team or two. Belmont's offense is currently ranked 19th.
Go look at our road record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT