ADVERTISEMENT

Wendell Carter's mom says......

oldsports_

Dec 18, 2010
"When you remove all the bling and the bells and the sneakers and all that," she said, "you've paid for a child to come to your school to do what you wanted them to do for you, for free, and you made a lot of money when he did that, and you've got all these rules in place that say he cannot share in any of that. The only other time when labor does not get paid but yet someone else gets profits and the labor is black and the profit is white, is in slavery.

She's not wrong.

It’s not slavery as the kids in Duke’s case get a $200,000 education which is more than 4 years in the G league. They get a network. Like Damon Bailey once said, he was taken care of by the Indiana base when his NBA career didn’t go well. If Duke is like IU, he can come back and finish his degree like Cody Zeller did as a business major. Cody will be given a ton of investment opportunities in Indiana with putting very little capital in just like Damon Bailey. She is a moron.

She’s 100% wrong.
Yup. I guess she forgets white people play college sports too?? How the hell does that make sense? I guess if you wanted to say kids should be paid then you at least have an argument. To turn it unto white guys getting paid because of black kids, just a joke and an all out cry for attention.

Yup. I guess she forgets white people play college sports too?? How the hell does that make sense? I guess if you wanted to say kids should be paid then you at least have an argument. To turn it unto white guys getting paid because of black kids, just a joke and an all out cry for attention.
This is the 2nd time she’s had a “race” problem. Sounds like she has some issues in that area.

I don't disageee that players shouldn't profit, but it's not slavery when players and their parents willfully agree to NCAA terms.

Also, I don't buy that race is a factor. It's true that most pro athlete caliber players are black, but anyone who has spent time with bureaucrats or in corporate America knows that the suits have no problem screwing whitey if it's profitable. It's the American way.

Playing basketball for fun and then money is slavery?

God damned Q. I figured you as a smart person.

Hell if that is the case all jobs are slavery. When does it end?

Her larger point is players should get paid, which A LOT of people---including active coaches agree with. You do agree with that, right? I mean former players are currently suing the NCAA for this exact same reason.

Her larger point is players should get paid, which A LOT of people---including active coaches agree with. You do agree with that, right? I mean former players are currently suing the NCAA for this exact same reason.

But that isn't what she said.

Most everyone agrees players should get paid. Most everyone would also agree it isn't akin to slavery and I'm honestly more surprised someone liberal would not have an issue with this than someone conservative.

It’s not slavery as the kids in Duke’s case get a $200,000 education... She is a moron.
Oh, I was considering that among "all the bling and the bells and the sneakers and all that" that she exempted in the first sentence of what she allegedly said.

And then when she goes on to allegedly say "you've paid for a child to come to your school to do what you wanted them to do for you," I took that to mean "play basketball."

Then, allegedly, when she went on to say, "for free, and you made a lot of money when he did that, and you've got all these rules in place that say he cannot share in any of that," I figured what that really meant was "playing basketball."

And then the way the OP wraps up, with her saying (allegedly), "The only other time when labor does not get paid but yet someone else gets profits and the labor is black and the profit is white, is in slavery," I thought, "Huh, that's a little harsh, but I get what she's saying."

Then I thought, "Wait, should I be mad?" And then I thought, "Why? I mean, I didn't personally own slaves, so why should I be all blustery and defensive? I'm not a snowflake, after all."

This is the 2nd time she’s had a “race” problem. Sounds like she has some issues in that area.
I think you meant, "2nd X 100,000 time." I'm glad you're getting woke to the issues black people deal with on a daily basis in America.

But that isn't what she said.

Most everyone agrees players should get paid. Most everyone would also agree it isn't akin to slavery and I'm honestly more surprised someone liberal would not have an issue with this than someone conservative.
Really? You're more surprised that a liberal is able to get her point while conservatives get all indignant and wag their jowls and start defending themselves preemptively against hypothetical charges of racism?

Her larger points are correct imo. I’m not sure she needed to go slavery on it though. Also it’s an NBA rule that doesn’t allow player to play in the league right out of high school. That is the biggest point not addressed in the views she shared.

Reactions: HawksJ
Really? You're more surprised that a liberal is able to get her point while conservatives get all indignant and wag their jowls and start defending themselves preemptively against hypothetical charges of racism?

I'm more surprised a liberal wouldn't be disappointed with using slavery here as part of the analogy. Even if I don't entirely agree with some of the other stuff I definitely understand her perspective.

I mean, when it comes to someone who is OAD both sides are using the other for their own gain. In general both sides are using the other but it is even more blatant with the superstar players who aren't interested in an education. I have no issues with the players using the schools in this way but it works both ways.

Reactions: tw3301
I'm more surprised a liberal wouldn't be disappointed with using slavery here as part of the analogy. Even if I don't entirely agree with some of the other stuff I definitely understand her perspective.

I mean, when it comes to someone who is OAD both sides are using the other for their own gain. In general both sides are using the other but it is even more blatant with the superstar players who aren't interested in an education. I have no issues with the players using the schools in this way but it works both ways.
I didn't realize Wendell Carter, Jr wasn't interested in education...

Why would liberals be upset? After all, none of us personally owned slaves, so what is there to feel all guilty over?

Both ways. Yeah, we gotta hear both sides.

I didn't realize Wendell Carter, Jr wasn't interested in education...

Why would liberals be upset? After all, none of us personally owned slaves, so what is there to feel all guilty over?

Both ways. Yeah, we gotta hear both sides.

I mean, you don’t have to hear anything. Both sides exist whether you acknowledge them or not. In a discussion mentioning them is ok if it shows something relevant.

Wendell probably did fine while at Duke but I bet getting to the NBA was his primary goal over his education, which it should have been. If he could have skipped the experience altogether I imagine he would have.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I cannot stand today's society and what it has come to. Everything in today's time is pointed to racism or something "offensive" when in reality, it has 0 relation.
Zero relation? So racism is over now? I think I'd love it if society has come to that!

Most bb players at elite programs like Duke get around 150 K a year if you factor in all the costs. Tuition, room and board, elite medical care, elite coaching staffs, strength training, elite nutrition guidance, free trips, athletic gear, TV exposure, etc.

The D league you are making 25 to 50 K most likely. Coaching staffs are not as good as elite college coaching staffs. No TV exposure. Have pay your own rent.

The vast majority of kids won’t make the NBA are play for just a few years. Most will end playing in the D league.

Reactions: mathman68
ADVERTISEMENT