ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Eric Montross

The state of Indiana has been good to UNC with Sean May and Tyler Zeller winning titles too. Montross wasn't athletic but he knew how to use his size and skill to be succesful. That 1993 title team was probably the least athletic UNC team to win a title and he was a major reason why that team was successful. RIP big guy.

Hate to hear this. It’s always sad to hear of someone passing prematurely. Seemed like a great guy. 2 years younger than me. Does anyone know what type of cancer he had?

Cherish life, people.

Last edited:
Still the single biggest recruiting shocker/miss in IU history. Changed the outlook for several years. His Dad hated Knight...ballgame.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The state of Indiana has been good to UNC with Sean May and Tyler Zeller winning titles too. Montross wasn't athletic but he knew how to use his size and skill to be succesful. That 1993 title team was probably the least athletic UNC team to win a title and he was a major reason why that team was successful. RIP big guy.
The only big-time player from Michigan I can think of who attended North Carolina was Tom LaGarde in the 70's.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Still the single biggest recruiting shocker/miss in IU history. Changed the outlook for several years. His Dad hated Knight...ballgame.
I knew there was a University of Michigan connection, and many people thought he would go there. His father and grandfather both played for the Wolverines.

I knew there was a University of Michigan connection, and many people thought he would go there. His father and grandfather both played for the Wolverines.
Yep. His Mom went to Michigan too. It was a long time ago but I seem to recall thinking that I thought he'd end up at Michigan. I'd heard for some time that Montross' Dad couldn't stand Bob Knight (can't say I blame him).

RIP Montross

I've always thought Montross was one of the bigger recruits in Indiana. But why then was Damon Bailey awarded the Indiana Mr. Basketball honor?

Reactions: cdbearde
RIP Montross

I've always thought Montross was one of the bigger recruits in Indiana. But why then was Damon Bailey awarded the Indiana Mr. Basketball honor?
I'm not saying Bailey didn't deserve the award (too long ago to remember who was better) but there was a period where a commitment to Indiana got you a lot of votes for Mr. Basketball. With IU having the journalism school in Indiana and many more IU grads staying in state than Purdue grads, the likelihood a voter grew up an IU fan was high.

I'm not saying Bailey didn't deserve the award (too long ago to remember who was better) but there was a period where a commitment to Indiana got you a lot of votes for Mr. Basketball. With IU having the journalism school in Indiana and many more IU grads staying in state than Purdue grads, the likelihood a voter grew up an IU fan was high.

Interesting. Okay, that makes sense. A bias among the local journalists seems like a sensible reason why Bailey would have received more votes... You definitely see the regional bias in the Heisman voting every year.

It happened pretty quick. I think he was only diagnosed earlier this year. Cancer freaking sucks. It always sucks. That is something we can all agree on.

Montross was my favorite player growing up when I first really got into college basketball.

It happened pretty quick. I think he was only diagnosed earlier this year. Cancer freaking sucks. It always sucks. That is something we can all agree on.

Montross was my favorite player growing up when I first really got into college basketball.
Yes, diagnosed in March.

The two serious contenders were IU and UNC. Duke and Michigan rounded out the final four.

Eric's HS coach Jack Keefer had worked Smith camps for years and was a friend.

Knight and Eric's Father Scott clashed over what was best for Landon Turner as the suit against Ford was being constructed. (If you don't know what I am referring to I can add color as needed). Montross wanted a cash settlement and Knight wanted a series of trusts set up to make sure he was cared for for life. (Landon was a young man that did not come from a great area)

Knight had already gotten Landon a job and done a ton of fundraising for the specialized equipment that a seven foot paraplegic would need in the future. Knight was afraid Landon would quit his job and wanted him to work.

UNC might have won out anyway but you will never convince the good people of the state of Indiana of that. It was a shock.

Last edited:
Very sad to hear...

Montross at IU= A title, or two.

RIP Montross

Because he was the best player in the state....

I met him once and got an autograph. Just seemed like a really good guy.

ADVERTISEMENT