ADVERTISEMENT

ACC Thread

That’s the problem with the ACC. Just not a ton of chances to get needle moving wins.

The Big 12 collectively (and I believe it was coordinated) manipulated the NET perfectly. And now almost every league game is Quad 1/2. Whereas the ACC almost did the opposite. Most schools, FSU included, did a horrible job of scheduling for the NET.

Yeah, the ACC isn't great at all but it's kind of crap the way they are looked at. Every other conference beats up on each other and it's considering some badge of honor to their toughness but if it happens in the ACC it means they are garbage. I think the ACC is something like 9-3 OOC against the Big 12. Conferences and teams certainly manipulate a bad NET system and it's just a stupid way to judge things.

Yeah, the ACC isn't great at all but it's kind of crap the way they are looked at. Every other conference beats up on each other and it's considering some badge of honor to their toughness but if it happens in the ACC it means they are garbage. I think the ACC is something like 9-3 OOC against the Big 12. Conferences and teams certainly manipulate a bad NET system and it's just a stupid way to judge things.

It is stupid. But it’s even more dumb for the ACC not to take advantage of the NET the way other leagues do. Terrible leadership.

Reactions: PA_Panther
Okay fair enough. So what does that mean? UNC loses to Miami a lot? I’m genuinely asking.

It looks like FSU is 4-6 against UNC going back to 2018. (I didn’t realize how many years we seem to just play one time). I’m sure the the gap would widen a little if I went back a couple more years because FSU had some lean years in the 2013-2016 time frame. But I do recall beating UNC twice in 2012, once in a great ACC Championship game.

Is Jim beating UNC a lot more than that?

Feels like it

I guess I think Jim usually has a team of about 3 recruits, some fat kid from the freshman dorm and crackhead right off South Beach yet he still is competitive most every night and usually punches way above his weight.

Whereas it seems like Ham always has a team of 10 6’8” guys who can jump out of the gym yet can never get over the hump.

Don’t read too much into this though. I don’t watch like I used to.

That’s the problem with the ACC. Just not a ton of chances to get needle moving wins.

The Big 12 collectively (and I believe it was coordinated) manipulated the NET perfectly. And now almost every league game is Quad 1/2. Whereas the ACC almost did the opposite. Most schools, FSU included, did a horrible job of scheduling for the NET.

The ACC is consistently horrible with every decision made at corporate level.

Feels like it

I guess I think Jim usually has a team of about 3 recruits, some fat kid from the freshman dorm and crackhead right off South Beach yet he still is competitive most every night and usually punches way above his weight.

Whereas it seems like Ham always has a team of 10 6’8” guys who can jump out of the gym yet can never get over the hump.

Don’t read too much into this though. I don’t watch like I used to.

I appreciate the answer. Fwiw, I wasn’t getting butt hurt or anything. Just something I had heard before, even from 1-2 people in the FSU fan base, so I was curious what your reasoning is.

That might describe Miami’s talent in the 2015 time frame. But they have been buying stars with NIL. Loads of talent on that roster last year and this year.

It’s a shame Covid happened. That was Ham “getting over the hump.” Multiple NBA lottery picks. Senior guard who is the winningest player in school history. Outright ACC regular season champ. Playing well in February and March. I would have been pretty surprised if they didn’t make a Final Four run.

Reactions: UNC71-00
I think both Hamilton and Larranaga are very good coaches. The difference to me is that I like Hamilton more than I like Larranaga. Maybe it is simply because of the success he had against Roy but it seems there was some other reason I can't really remember, some beef between him and Roy or something.

I think both Hamilton and Larranaga are very good coaches. The difference to me is that I like Hamilton more than I like Larranaga. Maybe it is simply because of the success he had against Roy but it seems there was some other reason I can't really remember, some beef between him and Roy or something.

I mean, Hamilton is from Gastonia. Come on, how can Carolina folks not like him? 😁

Seriously, what Ham and Jim L have been able to build and sustain at two schools that think football first, football second has been extremely impressive. The league will be worse off when both retire in the not too distant future.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I appreciate the answer. Fwiw, I wasn’t getting butt hurt or anything. Just something I had heard before, even from 1-2 people in the FSU fan base, so I was curious what your reasoning is.

That might describe Miami’s talent in the 2015 time frame. But they have been buying stars with NIL. Loads of talent on that roster last year and this year.

It’s a shame Covid happened. That was Ham “getting over the hump.” Multiple NBA lottery picks. Senior guard who is the winningest player in school history. Outright ACC regular season champ. Playing well in February and March. I would have been pretty surprised if they didn’t make a Final Four run.

Oh sure. You ask me a sincere question I will give you a sincere answer.

I have not enough knowledge to agree or disagree with your opinion though. My last few years of CBB have been spent trying to explain to some idiots that no one can yet have an informed opinion on Hubert Davis because he hasn’t been coaching long enough for such an opinion to exist. That’s exhausting enough without following Miami NIL work.

• Haha
Reactions: GE Nole
I mean, Hamilton is from Gastonia. Come on, how can Carolina folks not like him? 😁

Seriously, what Ham and Jim L have been able to build and sustain at two schools that think football first, football second has been extremely impressive. The league will be worse off when both retire in the not too distant future.

I have nothing against Ham at all

Reactions: GE Nole
Today's Lines

Miami @Cuse -1 159
Hillbillies @Moo -4.5 146
Cards @ WF -15 151.5
Carolina -6.5 @ BC 155
Clemson-2@ FSU 151.5
UVa -1.5@ GT 125.5
Pitt @ Dook-13 141.5

I'm confused by Miami-Cuse

I like Lville, BC, GT, Dook

Today's Lines

Miami @Cuse -1 159
Cards @ WF -15 151.5
Carolina -6.5 @ BC 155
Clemson-2@ FSU 151.5
UVa -1.5@ GT 125.5
Pitt @ Dook-13 141.5

You think Miami should be favored?

GT feels like a good bet. Wahoos have struggled on the road. Idk about BC. Y’all have been looking very good.

Tonight is the Capel Bros last dance. Get blown the fvuck out, which they will, and it is time for the staff to call a realtor to get those houses up for sale soon.
Who do Pitt fans hope to hire?

Just someone better? You have access to a wealthy pool of players.

Today's Lines

Miami @Cuse -1 159
Cards @ WF -15 151.5
Carolina -6.5 @ BC 155
Clemson-2@ FSU 151.5
UVa -1.5@ GT 125.5
Pitt @ Dook-13 141.5

I like Syracuse to cover. Miami is trending in the wrong direction, and Syracuse shows up against average teams.

Carolina should blitz BC, and I like FSU ML. I think Duke covers, too.

Who do Pitt fans hope to hire?

Just someone better? You have access to a wealthy pool of players.
Brandin Knight will be a hot name because he played under Dixon, coached with Dixon and then went to Rutgers and has learned under Pikiell.

If I was the AD I would hire Bucky McMillan, Samford's HC. His first year was the Covid crap and after that has them rolling.

There is money and commitment from an NIL prospective where you can land 4-star recruits and good mid-major transfers. Nobody is expecting national championships. In a four year stretch, you should go to the tourney twice and maybe even contend for the league title one of those years. The other two years, just be on the bubble and show improvement as the year goes on.

Every single player that came back from last years team has gotten substantially worse. Just a sad sad state of affairs for the fifth year out of six. The most maddening part is in these six years he has kept around the same coaching staff and hasn't made one change.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
It’s crazy to think it was barely a decade ago that Pitt was ranked in the top 10 at some point in the season for 11 straight seasons.

Reactions: TKBray
I like Syracuse to cover. Miami is trending in the wrong direction, and Syracuse shows up against average teams.

Carolina should blitz BC, but they also have had a slew of home blowouts (and away v Moo) and haven't been on the road in a while. I think they will be flat.

I hear you guys on Cuse. I will flip that one and ride. Also taking L'ville, BC, GT and Duke. All ATS

ETA Holy Shit that moved from -1 to -4 on Cuse. Definitely on that one now

I had a bonus bet on Hard Rock and FSU ML was +110 so I used it on that. Never bad to get a surging home team for +odds. Although Clemson does need a win badly.

I tend to agree about Duke at home.

Syracuse with a terrible final possession and somehow hits a shit shot 3 to win at the buzzer

• Sad
Reactions: TKBray
Most of us Louisville fans don’t even watch this crap anymore. We will have a new coach the first week of April.
What names are you hearing as candidates? Like most UK fans, I'd like to see KP back on our staff. He's great as an AC but just not an HC.

What names are you hearing as candidates? Like most UK fans, I'd like to see KP back on our staff. He's great as an AC but just not an HC.
I don’t think it will be known who the top targets will be. Two years ago it got out and Pearl and Cronin both got huge salary increases and buyouts. I’d be fine with just about anyone after this pathetic staff.

I don’t think it will be known who the top targets will be. Two years ago it got out and Pearl and Cronin both got huge salary increases and buyouts. I’d be fine with just about anyone after this pathetic staff.
Pearl would be an excellent hire. That'd get the rivalry fired back up real quick.

Pearl would be an excellent hire. That'd get the rivalry fired back up real quick.
I am pretty sure that he was on the shortlist last time, he also used it (I don’t blame him) to get a huge salary increase.

I am pretty sure that he was on the shortlist last time, he also used it (I don’t blame him) to get a huge salary increase.
What about Chris Beard? He's on my list to replace Cal when he retires. Dude just wins everywhere he goes.

UNC is 7-0 and 4-0 on the road. Winning games at home with offense and on the road with defense and toughness. Monday night will be a tough task with Wake coming to town.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Yes I was dissapointed as well. FSU had been playing well and could have easily put an end to Clemson's season

Clemson looked like the team that clearly wanted it more. As you said. Very strong execution for most of it. You can tell Ham was pretty frustrated with his team’s effort at both ends in the post game.

Reactions: ABVolsFan92
Dusty May would be a good fit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT