ADVERTISEMENT

Your Team's All-Time Single Best Player

Oh I don't doubt he is. For me in these discussions, I usually refrain from using guys I've never seen play. Guess I would go Havlicek if I didn't need to see them.

If I were to keep it to guys I've seen play it would have to be Aguirre for his college and pro success. Honorable mentions to Terry Cummings and Rod Strickland.

Reactions: dtgold88
If I were to keep it to guys I've seen play it would have to be Aguirre for his college and pro success. Honorable mentions to Terry Cummings and Rod Strickland.
Isn't to say my way is the right way...for me, I just have a hard time picking guys based only on what I've heard or seen on highlights.

Rick Mount or Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson. Eras and contemporary rules are too different to truly pick one over the other, IMO.
Rick Mount; CardinalBoiler. I was at the Rick Mount final four. Rick was one hell of a ball player. He was a lot like Maravich. Top scorer‎: ‎Rick Mount Purdue; (122 points)
s-l225.jpg

The most dominant player ever.

7-footer that moved like a guard. Led the league in assists one year. Averaged 50/game in two different seasons. 100 point game. Averaged 23 rebounds/game over his career. Dominant defensively.

The greatest.

Reactions: npreston
The most dominant player ever.

7-footer that moved like a guard. Led the league in assists one year. Averaged 50/game in two different seasons. 100 point game. Averaged 23 rebounds/game over his career. Dominant defensively.

The greatest.
Yep. RCJH!

Might be Havlicek, but hard for me to pick a guy I've never seen play (in college). My criteria will not take NBA success into account as I'm thinking it should have to do with what he did for his college team.

Between Jim Jackson and Greg Oden for me. I do think Oden was a more dominant college player in his one year, but not by much so I'll give JJ the nod for playing 3 seasons.
Even though I respect the hell out of your basketball knowledge, I'd think you'd have to take Jerry Lucas over Havlicek, at least going by your criterion of strictly focusing on a player's college career. While Havlicek is clearly the greater player in overall basketball regard, Lucas is the only 3-time Big Ten Player of the Year and a 2-time NCAA College Player of the Year.

Even though I respect the hell out of your basketball knowledge, I'd think you'd have to take Jerry Lucas over Havlicek, at least going by your criterion of strictly focusing on a player's college career. While Havlicek is clearly the greater player in overall basketball regard, Lucas is the only 3-time Big Ten Player of the Year and a 2-time NCAA College Player of the Year.
I wont dispute this. Havlicek was a guess. As mentioned, with questions like these, I wont choose guys I never saw play.

Reactions: Silent Banjo
Duke: Christian Laettner
Kansas: Danny Manning
Kentucky: Dan Issel
UNC: Tyler Hansbrough
UCLA: Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Big George was probably the most dominant. Buckner one of the best winners to ever get play the sport. Isiah the best pro and I'd go with Calbert or Alford as having the best college career.

Most likely it’s Dave Cowens. Ol’ Big Red.

But I could hear an argument for Ron King and Bob Sura too.

Best in college is was George Mcginnis but most usually dont know who he is.

Best in the NBA was Isaiah

Best in college that most know was either Calbert or Alford.

The most important was May

The most heralded high school recruit was Damon Bailey. He was known by every basketball fan in the country as a high school junior. This was early 90s, so before internet and people still knew who he was. Hes also the all time leader scorer for the state of Indiana high school basketball. That's a ridiculously important statistic when you grew up in this state.

Reactions: SIhoosier26

The most heralded high school recruit was Damon Bailey. He was known by every basketball fan in the country as a high school junior. This was early 90s, so before internet and people still knew who he was. Hes also the all time leader scorer for the state of Indiana high school basketball. That's a ridiculously important statistic when you grew up in this state.

You almost got it right. But it's hard to be the best college player when you only play one season. He had arguably one of the greatest statistical seasons, but hardly adds up to greatest career. Also, Bailey was a high school junior in the late 80's. Probably one of the most decorated high school careers in history.

Didn't mean to quibble, luckily we have several all time greats to choose from. Walt Bellamy, May, Don Schlundt, Henderson, Archie Dees to name a few. That 1960 team might've been Branch's best team.

You almost got it right. But it's hard to be the best college player when you only play one season. He had arguably one of the greatest statistical seasons, but hardly adds up to greatest career. Also, Bailey was a high school junior in the late 80's. Probably one of the most decorated high school careers in history.

Didn't mean to quibble, luckily we have several all time greats to choose from. Walt Bellamy, May, Don Schlundt, Henderson, Archie Dees to name a few. That 1960 team might've been Branch's best team.

I agree with you if your thinking about the best career, but that not how I thought the question was asked. I took it as who was simply the best player in general. I think he was the best player to ever play in a game for IU. I personally cant think of a player who had more ability than him.

You're right about Bailey being in high school in the 80s. Not sure why I did it, but I was thinking about when he played for IU. Which was stupid of me because I was talking when he was in high school.

Branch McCracken on top of being a good coach was funny as hell. In some book that I have (can't recall the book) there is a story of Branch running out onto the basketball to protest a call. The ref blew the whistle and told Branch that he was giving he a technical for ever step it took him to get off the court.

Branch instantly motioned two of his guys over and instructed them to carry him off the court!

I always loved that.

Branch McCracken on top of being a good coach was funny as hell. In some book that I have (can't recall the book) there is a story of Branch running out onto the basketball to protest a call. The ref blew the whistle and told Branch that he was giving he a technical for ever step it took him to get off the court.

Branch instantly motioned two of his guys over and instructed them to carry him off the court!

I always loved that.

Lol...it would be hilarious if something like that happened in a game today.

I hadn't ever heard of that story, thanks for sharing! With only being 40, my only information about him was when my dad would talk about him.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
If we're talking what they did in college i would say Tony Delk for UK. Issel is the easy choice because he is the all time scoring and rebounding leader but Delk won a title while being top 5 all time in points.

best overall player however has to be the unibrow. He's going to be one of the top 5 players on the planet for the next 7-10 years.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
If we're talking what they did in college i would say Tony Delk for UK. Issel is the easy choice because he is the all time scoring and rebounding leader but Delk won a title while being top 5 all time in points.

best overall player however has to be the unibrow. He's going to be one of the top 5 players on the planet for the next 7-10 years.

I was extremely young during his time, so its possible I'm mistaken, but I would have thought Chapman was a better player then Delk? However, I would have never guessed that Delk was in the top 5 points for you all.

ADVERTISEMENT