ADVERTISEMENT

WVU....

difficult to win in Aimes -
Tech got blown out by 18
a few weeks ago -

UT at Tech about to tip-off -

Wreck Em!!

Lol y’all don’t suck. Our whole team is so streaky that usually only one of any of a number of guys will be on( not last Saturday). Srry that u caught us on the only time we’ll play like that all year

Lol y’all don’t suck. Our whole team is so streaky that usually only one of any of a number of guys will be on( not last Saturday). Srry that u caught us on the only time we’ll play like that all year

Lost 5 out of 6.....

We're bad

WVU had a Kentucky hangover + playing at Ames is tough. One thing about Iowa State is that they play fast and do not trip over the Press Virginia aspect of the game - which bothers most teams.

Regardless of tonight's outcome, the Mountaineers are still headed to the NCAA Tournament (as a high seed) and the Cyclones are not going at all (unless they win the Big Xii Tournament AGAIN).

Rule of thumb: when your rivals start saying positive things about your team and try to talk you off the ledge, things are going about as badly as you think.

That said, not sure what's going on with WVU but there's still some time to fix it.

KU isn't going to even have to try to win the Big 12. I didn't think someone could go 14-4 and win the league out right, well I think that is going to be the case.

It's definitely very odd and it goes further than just matchup issues, because they are losing to a bunch of teams that all have different styles and makeups.
One thing I've noticed about West Virginia since November is that they will always let the opponent back in the game. That might be because other teams figure out how to beat the pressure after they settle in or maybe West Virginia lets off the gas, but it happens a lot.
Seems like their issues are mainly on the offensive end though. Hopefully Huggins can fix the issues soon.

Crazy how we go from National Title contenders, ending the KU streak, and Huggins achieving legend status outside of WV to bubble talk and Huggins needing to consider retirement in a few short weeks. It is what it is, any chance of salvaging this collapsed season goes out the window if lose on Saturday. If we cant beat KSU at home with Huggins and the fans coming down hard on the team, questioning heart/character/etc then this team will bottom out with a OAD NIT visit. Ive always maintained that this team never had top level talent, but overall as a collective group there have been far worse WV teams that went on to earn good NCAA seeding and get out of the first weekend, it really appears to just be an issue of them not caring and with hustle being the staple of the last 3 years, without it they are dead in the water.

Reactions: npreston
Xavier lost 6 in a row in conference play last year and still made the Elite 8.

Good for them but 11 seeds by and large do not make the Elite 8, Id prefer not to have to go on an improbable Cinderella run to save our season.

The only thing that makes sense to do....is have Huggins change his style to fit his actual roster. He has to mix things up b/c all out pressing is not working. Im not sure Huggy will be willing to give up his style.

Any chance Lindell would leave after this year? Or get talked into it?

I mean, there's always a chance but I'd be pretty surprised. I haven't seen him on any mocks. I'm guessing we'll get him for one more year.
Really like Wigginton, with the young talent that joins Ames next season, I hope ISU keeps him for, at minimum, 3 years.

The only thing that makes sense to do....is have Huggins change his style to fit his actual roster. He has to mix things up b/c all out pressing is not working. Im not sure Huggy will be willing to give up his style.

I think he would be willing to make the adjustments, he was never a pressing coach until his coaching style became outdated and top level players were not willing to play for him any longer. Pressing was a way to help lesser talented hustle players not have their weaknesses consistently exposed in a half court set, so that was what he went with to match the talent of his previous few teams. This team has 3-4 players who would start for a lot of teams in the country, the rest fit the mold I just laid out as hustle guys who get exposed in a traditional half court set but still with that core they dont need to press every possession to win 20 games.

Reactions: KisteK
I think he would be willing to make the adjustments, he was never a pressing coach until his coaching style became outdated and top level players were not willing to play for him any longer. Pressing was a way to help lesser talented hustle players not have their weaknesses consistently exposed in a half court set, so that was what he went with to match the talent of his previous few teams. This team has 3-4 players who would start for a lot of teams in the country, the rest fit the mold I just laid out as hustle guys who get exposed in a traditional half court set but still with that core they dont need to press every possession to win 20 games.

Huggs said postgame that Iowa State just single hadedly killed and put an end to Press Virginia. We can't do it anymore.

He isn't afraid to switch it up, but I don't know about mid seaaon.

He pressed in the early cincy days with those Nick Van Exel teams. Then quit doing it when he got bigs like Danny Fortson and Kenyon Martin.

I think we've seen the end of it at WVU. Especially with Konate getting better and well be adding some other really good bigs in the next year or 2.... Culver and most likely Tshiebwe (he's starting to blow up as a recruit though).

We might go back to playing more like we did in the big east.

It's official.

We suck.

WVU needs to have the refs allow their fouling on all of crossing patterns and hand checks. If not, they cannot defend that well. Huggie ran into the same type of losses at Cinnci. It's a hold over of how rough many of his games were in his old conference.

ADVERTISEMENT