ADVERTISEMENT

Why did Dean retire with Jamison, Vince etc coming back...

greymatters4

Gold Member
Nov 30, 2011
After some random CBB-Reference digging they lost to AZ in the 97’ FF but returned everyone. They still went to the FF with Guthridge but lost in the semis. That’s like Zion/Barrett coming back and K deciding to retire...

Reactions: wrbchWolfPack81
He was in his mid-60s, not everyone wants to coach until their wheels fall off. Obviously that was a huge part of his life, but you gotta venture out and taste everything the world has to offer. Even the off-season is pretty demanding work.

To directly answer your question - I think he said he wanted Guthridge to be in the best position possible to succeed since he was loyal to him all those years.

Reactions: rdgtr and cooljeff
Yeah, he wanted Guthridge to get a chance with a good team when he took over.

After some random CBB-Reference digging they lost to AZ in the 97’ FF but returned everyone. They still went to the FF with Guthridge but lost in the semis. That’s like Zion/Barrett coming back and K deciding to retire...
I think Dean was tired of cheating and decided he had trained Bill Guthridge enough that he could carry on the charade and could do it even better than him.

Last edited:
Yeah, he wanted Guthridge to get a chance with a good team when he took over.
BS, if you believe that I have ocean front property in TN to sell you. DES ran that school. If he wanted Gut, he would tell them Gut. He retired a month before the season with no explanation. The interesting thing is that it never got out exactly why, but there was definitely something fishy.

Honest answer

1. He was from the old school when you retired around 65.
2. He wanted to reward Guthridge for his loyalty and handed him a super stacked squad.
3. He had always been worried about coaching past his prime. He didn’t want to be a shell of himself. He later told Roy Williams he regretted leaving early and urged Roy to coach as long as he loved it.

Kind of says a lot about who he was. I sure as shit wouldn’t have walked away from a team that loaded.

Honest answer

2. He wanted to reward Guthridge for his loyalty and handed him a super stacked squad.
3. He had always been worried about coaching past his prime. He didn’t want to be a shell of himself. He later told Roy Williams he regretted leaving early and urged Roy to coach as long as he loved it.

Kind of says a lot about who he was. I sure as shit wouldn’t have walked away from a team that loaded.

Or cheating bothered him so much that it was time for him to move on.

You look at his 93 roster then the 95 roster and tell me there weren't some payments going on.

So a talented roster equals payments? So the three Iowa teams who have been somewhat talented paid their players as well I guess.

Honest answer

So, in your warped mind, why did he leave a month before the season, totally surprising the school and his team.

Retired too close to the beginning of the season for a job search to make sure Coach Gut got the gig (as I recall). Boss move.

Correct. NC State pension pays out based on last 3 years salary, so it was a financial hook up for Gut. The plan was always for DES to retire, Gut to be the bridge and then Roy to come back. Roy threw a monkey wrench in that in 2001, so Carolina ended up stuck with Doherty.

All's well that ends well though.

Retired too close to the beginning of the season for a job search to make sure Coach Gut got the gig (as I recall). Boss move.
So UNC didn't respect DES enough and he had to pull a fast one. Boss move huh? Only to UNC sycophants.

Your scenario doesn't say much for the relationship between DES and UNC.

Correct. NC State pension pays out based on last 3 years salary, so it was a financial hook up for Gut. The plan was always for DES to retire, Gut to be the bridge and then Roy to come back. Roy threw a monkey wrench in that in 2001, so Carolina ended up stuck with Doherty.

So the plan was for DES to leave a month before the season?

Doherty did hook Roy Williams up with his first championship winning squad. Not all was a waste with Doherty.

I actually met Dean Smith and asked him this question a few years ago, he didn't remember.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
Doherty did hook Roy Williams up with his first championship winning squad. Not all was a waste with Doherty.

Agree completely.

Everyone likes to shit on Doherty but he was a pretty hot name when hired at UNC. He was also in a bit of a tough spot from day 1 with DES and Gut still keeping office hours just down the hall. That being said though, he was over his head and had a pretty abrasive personality.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
So this board is basically Duke/UNC fans against the field. I thought Auburn fans were bad, but dear Lord, some of you are pathetic.

He was trying to do Gut a solid. He also later told Roy that he retired too early. Why you see Roy signing that recent extension.

Yes he did. I actually went to a coaching clinic with Roy (2006, I believe) and asked how he brought that team together. He did the ole "a fist is stronger than an open hand" analogy with hand gesture. Ha. Corny, but cool to "meet" him and learn from him for a day.
I actually met Dean Smith and asked him this question a few years ago, he didn't remember.
You can do better. ;)

Reactions: tw3301
He was in his mid-60s, not everyone wants to coach until their wheels fall off. Obviously that was a huge part of his life, but you gotta venture out and taste everything the world has to offer. Even the off-season is pretty demanding work.

To directly answer your question - I think he said he wanted Guthridge to be in the best position possible to succeed since he was loyal to him all those years.

Guthridge took North Carolina to two Final Fours, right?
That's a pretty good reward by Dean Smith.

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
ADVERTISEMENT