ADVERTISEMENT

Why couldn’t Coach K get this kind of effort out of Tatum?

Looks that way. How far did Duke go with him versus Boston? I say Stevens coached up Tatum better than K.

Yeah because the NCAA Tournament = NBA Playoffs. Yep.

That's just like saying Kennnedy Meeks help Roy win a title and why isn't he doing it in the NBA?

Also, Brad Stevens played his first two games at home in the first round and lost the next game at Milwaukee. By that logic, Brad ONLY went to the Sweet 16 instead of the Round of 32 with Tatum.

K damn sure coached Tatum up when he beat the Heels 2 out of 3 times.

Reactions: tw3301 and dtgold88
I’m comparing Tatums’ rookie years at Duke and Boston and that’s it. How far did Duke go in the tourney with Tatum compared to Boston this year? Now we can argue stats, games played etc but it looks like Stevens has found a way to use Tatum more effectively as a rookie than K did as a freshman. As for Lue, no one on his squad is a rookie that’s getting major minutes so that analogy doesn’t work.
If a rookie came in and sat the bench in the NBA, but went to the EC Finals, while only making round 2 in college, that means his NBA coach coached him up better by this "logic"?

If a rookie came in and sat the bench in the NBA, but went to the EC Finals, while only making round 2 in college, that means his NBA coach coached him up better by this "logic"?

Nope, I said
It is great fans of other schools are discussing a Duke player in the NBA! Very fascinating!

#TheBrotherhood

Call it whatever you want. I like Tatum as a player and what he's doing for Boston. I stand by what I said about Stevens coaching him up better than K. Team success says it all and that team under achieved.

That's your logic, I explained mine but you could twist whatever I said anyway you want to.

Yeah because the NCAA Tournament = NBA Playoffs. Yep.

That's just like saying Kennnedy Meeks help Roy win a title and why isn't he doing it in the NBA?

Also, Brad Stevens played his first two games at home in the first round and lost the next game at Milwaukee. By that logic, Brad ONLY went to the Sweet 16 instead of the Round of 32 with Tatum.

K damn sure coached Tatum up when he beat the Heels 2 out of 3 times.

Like he coached up Bagley and Carter this year huh? Back at you with the 2 out of 3 comment. SmokinSmile

That's your logic, I explained mine but you could twist whatever I said anyway you want to.
Actually, it's your logic. I think it's nuts. You are the one who said because his NBA team went further in the playoffs that must mean Stevens coached up Tatum better than coach K did.

I'm not saying he didn't, but that's not the deciding factor as I've shown you how foolish that is.

Like he coached up Bagley and Carter this year huh? Back at you with the 2 out of 3 comment. SmokinSmile
FTR I am not sold K is the greatest in game coach, and think he probably gets by on being one of the best recruiters.

That said, does this mean if he took a kid to a title who later played for Pop and didn't win the title that Coach K coached him up better?

FTR I am not sold K is the greatest in game coach, and think he probably gets by on being one of the best recruiters.

That said, does this mean if he took a kid to a title who later played for Pop and didn't win the title that Coach K coached him up better?

If that's what you believe.

Actually, it's your logic. I think it's nuts. You are the one who said because his NBA team went further in the playoffs that must mean Stevens coached up Tatum better than coach K did.

I'm not saying he didn't, but that's not the deciding factor as I've shown you how foolish that is.

That's your opinion and it's not foolish to me. I jumped in because Q mentioned Dean.

Last edited:
All I know is that Tatum absolutely lit us up in Charlottesville. Dude was unstoppable. Had 28 and 8 on 8-13 (6-7 from 3).

I don't think so either, especially K who is a great recruiter. Not sure about his coaching. Butler was not lacking for talent for a midmajor.

Stevens "developed" Horford? Kyrie? Tatum and Brown, yes, but they were each the 3rd pick in the draft.

Does Casey get this kind of credit for turning the 9th and 22nd picks into All Stars?
No because they are mentally weak.

You mean like he turned the 9th and 22nd picks into all stars, as opposed to turning two #3 picks into so far solid contributers and maybe future all stars.

You also thinking Stevens "developed" Horford? Kyrie?

No props for Lue for also developing Kyrie, Lebron and Love?
Let's not front on Jaylen Brown. People were talking about after his draft night that the Celtics reached for Brown at #3

Ty Lue is an average coach that happens to be Lebron's buddy.

Bagley and Carter went further than UNC's OAD's :D
Is this where it's going? Beat chest pre season talking all big then start acting like all that talent and you were pleased with an E8?

I get it you have to defend your guy but let's not act like you guys weren't acting like UK fans with a fresh recruiting title , that means natty in the pre season.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Coach K is a great coach! He is one of the best I have ever seen. There are only less than 10 great coaches since this game was invented at the college level and K is one of them. His first great test was in 1991. He took his team into the 1991 Final Four against a UNLV team that was undefeated the whole season. And in 1990, UNLV beat his Duke team by 30 in a national championship. He went on to beat UNLV (my team) in 1991 with adjustments and matched intensity on defense. There is where the Duke Dynasty started.
That moment in time is where Duke's Dynasty started but it also ended UNLV's. This is because, while Duke's team reveled in their victory...UNLV administration did everything it can to kill off what Coach Tark have built. In the following year, if the NCAA and the UNLV admin would leave Tark alone...the roster was consist of Ed O'Bannon, Evric Grey, Elmore Spencer, JR Rider. O'Bannon was the #1 Prepster that year and later won NC with UCLA. Elmore was the #1 JCer play in the NBA. JR Rider lotto to Minnesota, won slam dunk contest...still the only JCer to ever score 100 point in one half of basketball. That is our histories....

Coach K is a great coach! He is one of the best I have ever seen. There are only less than 10 great coaches since this game was invented at the college level and K is one of them. His first great test was in 1991. He took his team into the 1991 Final Four against a UNLV team that was undefeated the whole season. And in 1990, UNLV beat his Duke team by 30 in a national championship. He went on to beat UNLV (my team) in 1991 with adjustments and matched intensity on defense. There is where the Duke Dynasty started.
That moment in time is where Duke's Dynasty started but it also ended UNLV's. This is because, while Duke's team reveled in their victory...UNLV administration did everything it can to kill off what Coach Tark have built. In the following year, if the NCAA and the UNLV admin would leave Tark alone...the roster was consist of Ed O'Bannon, Evric Grey, Elmore Spencer, JR Rider. O'Bannon was the #1 Prepster that year and later won NC with UCLA. Elmore was the #1 JCer play in the NBA. JR Rider lotto to Minnesota, won slam dunk contest...still the only JCer to ever score 100 point in one half of basketball. That is our histories....
You don't think UNLV threw that 91 title game like many people in Vegas believe? Go from a 30 point beat down to a loss.

You don't think UNLV threw that 91 title game like many people in Vegas believe? Go from a 30 point beat down to a loss.
No. The deal Tark made with UNLV admin and NCAA was that he will give them what they want if they let him defend his title. The UNLV players were only guilt was to overlook the Duke team. Google that game and be your own judge how the game was play and ref. I still think Duke play helluva game to keep it close.

Is this where it's going? Beat chest pre season talking all big then start acting like all that talent and you were pleased with an E8?

I get it you have to defend your guy but let's not act like you guys weren't acting like UK fans with a fresh recruiting title , that means natty in the pre season.

I didn't vote Duke No. 1 preseason. Also, wasn't UNC the highest rated 2 seed between Duke? Just saying

I didn't vote Duke No. 1 preseason. Also, wasn't UNC the highest rated 2 seed between Duke? Just saying
Were we? Basketball is about matchups and UNC ran into a big strong physical defensive team on an off night. Still better than Lehigh or Mercer.

Next year, Zion Williamson is the closest thing to Larry Johnson. RJ Barret is like Ed O'Bannon. Duke is going to be really good.

Possibly a defensive team like Virginia and St. Mary of California may have a chance to stop Duke from winning that 'ship.

Were we? Basketball is about matchups and UNC ran into a big strong physical defensive team on an off night. Still better than Lehigh or Mercer.

That wasn't an off night. That was a beat down. Duke still hasn't gone to the NIT recently either.

I was with you until you said Brown could be as good as Klay Thompson. He is not the shooter nor defender Klay is. Perhaps defensively one day, but you do realize Klay is one of the best shooters in NBA history ALREADY? Brown ain't doing that. I also liken the Tatum Comparison to PG much more than Durant or Kawhi. He will never be the shooter/scorer Durant is and couldn't dream of being the defender Leonard is.
Shooting is only one aspect of scoring. Jaylen is already flashing much better ability to create his own shot and drive to the rim and score than Klay ever has.

He"ll never be the shooter Klay is but he could potentially be a much better scorer just from his ability to attack the rim.

Brown's defensive ceiling is also the roof literally.

Reactions: dtgold88
That wasn't an off night. That was a beat down. Duke still hasn't gone to the NIT recently either.
33% from the field and 19% from 3 in the Texas A&M game isn't an off night , right....... I have always noticed how folks forget that 2009-2010 UNC team lost Zeller and Davis for the bulk of the ACC season. Team went into a little bit of a tailspin once that happened. It wasn't a great UNC team but it was good enough to be a lower seed tourney team had the 2 best/most talented players not missed so much of the ACC season. Keep in mind that team lost to the Wall , Boogie , Bledsoe team at Rupp by 2 when it was at full strength. Those 2 big guys missed 20 of the ACC games some even overlapping. That season was a total anomaly unlike losing to double digit seeds in 2 of 3 years. But hey K righted the ship by getting so much talent to keep that from happening , again.

At least this is a new point of view.

A player sucked at Duke, but awesome in NBA. Coach K and Dukes fault.

Compared to what we normally hear. Player awesome at Duke but sucks in NBA. Coach K and Dukes fault.

So I guess if a Kid is not an All American in college and a NBA all star, then his college coach sucks and failed him.

At least this is a new point of view.

A player sucked at Duke, but awesome in NBA. Coach K and Dukes fault.

Compared to what we normally hear. Player awesome at Duke but sucks in NBA. Coach K and Dukes fault.

So I guess if a Kid is not an All American in college and a NBA all star, then his college coach sucks and failed him.

I don't blame Coach K or Duke for how a player performs in the NBA. Just like I definitely don't give Coach K or Duke credit for how a player does in the NBA. I'm sure Tatum wouldn't have been a top 3 pick if he went elsewhere for college.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Tatum was a stud in college, and I had him as my no 1 pick. We'll see how he does from here, but all sign are really good so far.

You suck at reading comprehension

Next year, Zion Williamson is the closest thing to Larry Johnson. RJ Barret is like Ed O'Bannon. Duke is going to be really good.

They'll be good but they won't be a juggernaught like some may think. I thought this past team will be special but they couldn't play defense on a consistent basis.

ADVERTISEMENT