ADVERTISEMENT

Why are performance targets not put into coaches contracts?

della

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2001
Team
Tennessee
Players get the bench or kicked off the team if they perform poorly. Coaches that have long and high dollar contracts are set for life. They have no outside incentive to do anything. This is dumb.

Players get the bench or kicked off the team if they perform poorly. Coaches that have long and high dollar contracts are set for life. They have no outside incentive to do anything. This is dumb.

I’m pretty sure that coaches have incentive bonuses related to things like conference performance, conference tournament performance, and ncaa tournament performance. Probably for even more. If what you’re asking is why there is no downside to the contract for poor performance, I think theoretically there is. It’s not getting those bonuses.

I’m pretty sure that coaches have incentive bonuses related to things like conference performance, conference tournament performance, and ncaa tournament performance. Probably for even more. If what you’re asking is why there is no downside to the contract for poor performance, I think theoretically there is. It’s not getting those bonuses.
If you have a 75 mil buyout, incentive bonuses mean very little.

If you have a 75 mil buyout, incentive bonuses mean very little.
So you’re talking about a buy-out specifically? Your post didn’t note that.

In that case, the market and/or school decides. Nobody forced TA&M to offer that contract to Jimbo, and nobody is forcing them to fire him, thus owing it. It’s their decision to eat it.

So you’re talking about a buy-out specifically? Your post didn’t note that.

In that case, the market and/or school decides. Nobody forced TA&M to offer that contract to Jimbo, and nobody is forcing them to fire him, thus owing it. It’s their decision to eat it.
My OP did. I wasn't asking about force. I was asking why programs would do such a stupid thing.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
My OP did. I wasn't asking about force. I was asking why programs would do such a stupid thing.
Your OP mentioned high dollar contracts and being set for life, but that doesn’t specifically state high dollar buyouts. Either way we’re splitting hairs because I know what you mean.

My only guess is that they had to sweeten the pot a bit because Jimbo had a sweet deal had FSU with good job security (well, good as it can be in college football). But I agree with you. It’s excessive and really stupid.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Your OP mentioned high dollar contracts and being set for life, but that doesn’t specifically state high dollar buyouts. Either way we’re splitting hairs because I know what you mean.

My only guess is that they had to sweeten the pot a bit because Jimbo had a sweet deal had FSU with good job security (well, good as it can be in college football). But I agree with you. It’s excessive and really stupid.
In Fisher's case, there was already unhappiness at FSU with his performance. I believe that Saban is a self-motivator. He only cares about perfection, but most are not.

Reactions: GE Nole
In Fisher's case, there was already unhappiness at FSU with his performance. I believe that Saban is a self-motivator. He only cares about perfection, but most are not.

Then I guess Texas A&M just threw the kitchen sink at him even though they probably didn’t have to. Even dumber in hindsight.

Oh well. Now they’ll just have to pay up. Being stupid sometimes has significant costs.

Reactions: della
Buyouts are what they are because no coach is gonna agree to a contract without such. Its protection.

They are. Lots of bonuses for winning a conference, making a bowl/tourney, making CFP/Final Four, having a certain APR score, being coach of the year, etc.

Nah. We were done with him. We weren’t gonna match anything offered. There were irreconcilable differences between him and our admin after he challenged some fans to a fight during a football game.

A&M is just a bunch of red necks who do dumb shit over and over and over again.

Many if not most contracts include performance based variable comp.

Not aware of any that include performance based base or even small base with material variable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT