ADVERTISEMENT

Which SEC program has the brightest future?

ExitFlagger

May 2, 2015
Team
Kansas
Kentucky’s struggled the past few years and isn’t pulling in the absurd talent they used to. Arkansas is ascending and is now recruiting as well as anyone in the country. Alabama’s on the rise and is pulling in solid classes. Barnes has built some solid teams but just hasn’t gotten over the hump in the tourney. And then there’s Brucey.

Kind of interesting to consider.

Finally, something interesting. The correct answer is Tennessee.
Honestly, I think it could be Arkansas. They’ve got a lot of momentum as a program right now. Not necessarily pulling for them though. Musselman’s kind of a weirdo.

Barnes is probably due for a Final Four soon.

Reactions: KisteK and della
Kentucky’s struggled the past few years and isn’t pulling in the absurd talent they used to. Arkansas is ascending and is now recruiting as well as anyone in the country. Alabama’s on the rise and is pulling in solid classes. Barnes has built some solid teams but just hasn’t gotten over the hump in the tourney. And then there’s Brucey.

Kind of interesting to consider.
Short term future or long term?

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Short term future or long term?

I was thinking the same thing. Long term the answer is always Kentucky IMO. Arkansas has a lot of momentum so maybe in the immediate future they’re the answer, but even with that I’m not sure. Yes, they’re bringing in a lot of talent, but I think they’re losing a lot too. Will be interesting to see how well they mesh next year.

Auburn and Tennessee. Both have talent and are well coached.

Kentucky is well... Kentucky. With the way they constantly reload talent they'll always be a lucky bounce or two away from a Final Four.

I'm not as sold on Arkansas as others, I think the Elite 8 is their peak. They have a bunch of talent coming in but as we've seen with Kentucky unless you can harness it it will only take you so far.

I'm really high on Vanderbilt. They have the SEC's #3 class coming in led by big man Lee Dort. Kid has great size and athleticism. They could be a real sleeper next season.

I was thinking the same thing. Long term the answer is always Kentucky IMO. Arkansas has a lot of momentum so maybe in the immediate future they’re the answer, but even with that I’m not sure. Yes, they’re bringing in a lot of talent, but I think they’re losing a lot too. Will be interesting to see how well they mesh next year.
It's like asking if UL is going to be the new "cool" school of the ACC. It'll always be UNC and then Duke. There's a historical pecking order and foundations built on that. There's always going to be a flavor of the month club, but doing work day in decade out will always pay benefits in the long run.

Heck a lot of schools wear "Jordan Brand", what's cooler than that? Super jealous.

Shouldn’t the blue blood always be the team with the brightest future? If not why are you considered a blue blood anymore?

• Haha
Reactions: KisteK
On the SEC. I expect auburn, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Kentucky to all be tourney teams next season. Alabama should be there as well but I think they are a tier down. Then probably tamu. LSU, uga, florida, miss st., South Carolina, Missouri, all have new coaches. We will see who does best with them. Vandy, ole miss seem to both be pretty stagnant

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
It depends on whether you mean dominate the SEC or be Highly competitive and in the tournament frequently. With a next tier jumping in the frey every so often. I think there's going to be a dog fight each year including 4-5 teams.

Greg Sankey is pushing all the SEC to get better. Better facilities, better coaches etc. So far his pitch and leadership is working. The SEC is responding. I can see the SEC getting 6-8 in the tourney each year. Maybe a couple of years away from the 8.

It depends on whether you mean dominate the SEC or be Highly competitive and in the tournament frequently. With a next tier jumping in the frey every so often. I think there's going to be a dog fight each year including 4-5 teams.

Greg Sankey is pushing all the SEC to get better. Better facilities, better coaches etc. So far his pitch and leadership is working. The SEC is responding. I can see the SEC getting 6-8 in the tourney each year. Maybe a couple of years away from the 8.
I totally agree with this. The SEC is getting serious on CBB.

It's like asking if UL is going to be the new "cool" school of the ACC. It'll always be UNC and then Duke. There's a historical pecking order and foundations built on that. There's always going to be a flavor of the month club, but doing work day in decade out will always pay benefits in the long run.

Heck a lot of schools wear "Jordan Brand", what's cooler than that? Super jealous.

You really believe that top schools are guaranteed continued success, even with coaching changes? Nobody told Indiana, I guess.

Every school is one bad hire away from mediocrity or irrelevance.

Reactions: Villian07
I don't know how the teams look yet. Hell we do not know most of the rosters, so how do we know their strength?

Last year UK was picked first at the start of the season, but with the unbalanced schedule and injuries they ended up in 3rd place in the failed SEC.

With the changes to the rules we don't know the long term effects. Apparently the field is no longer level.

Last edited:
You really believe that top schools are guaranteed continued success, even with coaching changes? Nobody told Indiana, I guess.

We made a really bad hire. Fixed it. Who knows what went on with IU. Bad string of hires. Probably would have been best to take their lumps and kept Sampson.

And if the current trend continues, we'll get it fixed also.

Cal is in the fat and happy situation as Tubby became to be. Number 1 is your program's responsibility to make the University, boosters and fans content with the program. Cal's lost sight of that somewhat. I think he tried to rrebound this year, and we should've finished much better than we did. That's on him. The AD, the fans and I'm sure the boosters are not very pleased.

We don't ask for a championship every year, but we do expect to contend for them. That's been inherent at Kentucky before I was born. And that was a long f'in time ago lol.

We made a really bad hire. Fixed it. Who knows what went on with IU. Bad string of hires. Probably would have been best to take their lumps and kept Sampson.

And if the current trend continues, we'll get it fixed also.

Cal is in the fat and happy situation as Tubby became to be. Number 1 is your program's responsibility to make the University, boosters and fans content with the program. Cal's lost sight of that somewhat. I think he tried to rrebound this year, and we should've finished much better than we did. That's on him. The AD, the fans and I'm sure the boosters are not very pleased.

We don't ask for a championship every year, but we do expect to contend for them. That's been inherent at Kentucky before I was born. And that was a long f'in time ago lol.

It's all about the coach. They'd probably have been a perennial contender with Sampson. There is no program that can thrive with a poor coach.

UNC and Duke are probably in fairly good hands, but there's also a chance they fall a notch or two.

Reactions: BasketBallJunkie-UK

I totally agree with this. I have first hand experience in this in CFB.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Arkqnsas
Kentucky
Tennessee
Auburn

in order
giphy.gif

Arky picks up some portal players and now they are flavor of the month, but who is to say the rest won't too? You could throw bama into your list also, but picking a definitive order is a fools errand.

giphy.gif

Arky picks up some portal players and now they are flavor of the month, but who is to say the rest won't too? You could throw bama into your list also, but picking a definitive order is a fools errand.
Agreed. This board seems to have a lot of love for a team that hasn’t won anything of note in the SEC for over 20 years. Back to back elite 8 appearances though I guess. I think auburn, tennessee, Arkansas, and Kentucky all could have an arguement though. I like where all 4 programs are

Agreed. This board seems to have a lot of love for a team that hasn’t won anything of note in the SEC for over 20 years. Back to back elite 8 appearances though I guess. I think auburn, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Kentucky all could have an arguement though. I like where all 4 programs are
I hate to type this, but you have to throw the bammers into the equation too.

I hate to type this, but you have to throw the bammers into the equation too.
I would put them slightly below the top 4. Bama took advantage in 2020 of the covid year where they had a very experienced senior team while everyone else had young teams that didn’t get to practice as much. This past season is the more the norm for them IMO. I think florida will be one to watch though. Have talent and hired a really good young coach.

I would put them slightly below the top 4. Bama took advantage in 2020 of the covid year where they had a very experienced senior team while everyone else had young teams that didn’t get to practice as much. This past season is the more the norm for them IMO. I think florida will be one to watch though. Have talent and hired a really good young coach.
Yeah, but that were erratic this year. Beating #1 teams one minute and losing to plugs the next. They are a dangerous team, but you never know which bama will show up.

Yeah, but that were erratic this year. Beating #1 teams one minute and losing to plugs the next. They are a dangerous team, but you never know which bama will show up.
They beat Baylor and Gonzaga who were both probably a bit overrated. Especially Gonzaga.

I think you have your years mixed up. Kentucky won the SEC by three full games and Alabama had a losing SEC season.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I think you have your years mixed up. Kentucky won the SEC by three full games and Alabama had a losing SEC season.
Huh. 2020/2021 season is what I was talking about. 2019/2020 is when Kentucky won the SEc and tourney got cancelled

Thats a hard call. I think Arkansas is currently the clubhouse leader with Bama right behind them if the coaches stay put.

However, Muss will leave within the next 5 years (probably 2-3). Dude is a builder who gets bored fast. Also I'm not sure if Bama will be able to keep Oats when historically better programs in better positions make that call.

Rick Barnes is 800 and will die/retire soon, Calipari lost his eye of the tiger with no real motivation to get it back, maybe Auburn? However, in the back of my mind I still feel the Pearl will do something stupid to blow it up or take a crazy job out of the blue. It's so Bruce Pearl.

I just assumed "Bama took advantage in 2020 of the covid year" the covid year was the year the Tourneys were cancelled.

2020/2021 the tourneys were played and it was not 2020.
The off-season is what I was talking about. In 2020 late spring and summer no teams could practice. This hurt teams like auburn and Kentucky who had all new rosters. Alabama had a senior led team returning. There is a reason duke was terrible as well. The 2020/2021 season was very much favorable to experienced teams due to limited practice times in off season

ADVERTISEMENT