ADVERTISEMENT

Where do the real Blue Bloods go from here

Who's the natural replacement at UK after Cal though? Its not going to be easy to replace him with a better option.

At least Cal gives you the recruiting, what if the new guy can't even do that at a high level?
You can replace him with just about anybody right now.

When you look at his results, he has 1 SECT victory, one NCAAT victory, no SEC titles and multiple home losses over the last 4 years.

I don't see too many coaches out there that could possibly do worse than 9-16 with that 20/21 roster and Cal's record against ranked teams, is embarrassing.

With the resources UK has and the big stage it provides, there are a lot of guys put there that would thrive.

I don't want to hear about recruiting classes, that does you no good in today’s game, you need to get old and stay old, you aren't winning squat with high school kids and it's been obvious for many years now.

I'd offer it to Dan Hurley (he'll say no most likely), Kelvin Sampson, Nate Oats or Bruce Pearl and I would make it tough for them to say no.

When you look at his results, he has 1 SECT victory, one NCAAT victory, no SEC titles and multiple home losses over the last 4 years.

I don't see too many coaches out there that could possibly do worse than 9-16 with that 20/21 roster and Cal's record against ranked teams, is embarrassing.

With the resources UK has and the big stage it provides, there are a lot of guys put there that would thrive.

I don't want to hear about recruiting classes, that does you no good in today’s game, you need to get old and stay old, you aren't winning squat with high school kids and it's been obvious for many years now.

I'd offer it to Dan Hurley (he'll say no most likely), Kelvin Sampson, Nate Oats or Bruce Pearl and I would make it tough for them to say no.
No Bruce Pearl!

Puke, he cheats out his ass.

Reactions: kyjeff1
No Bruce Pearl!

Puke, he cheats out his ass.
At least he’s doing whatever he possibly can to win. Our current coach does everything posdible to cater to potential draft picks, so he doesn't hurt their feelings and it doesn’t matter if it costs UK wins or not, those kids' feelings are more important.

He went from "I can't hide you here, if you can't figure it out, well, then don't come here… " to "I can't take his heart".

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
UK isn't taking anyone's coach. it'll have to be an up-and-comer.

Matt Jones said it best (not a huge fan) but he nailed it on he'd have to be a rockstar. An accountant won't work.

I think UK job is an impossible hire. Our fans have back us in a corner.

I don't think there is anyway Hurley leaves UConn (which you allude to anyways).

Wouldn't want Pearl. Hasn't done much of anything since their FF run in 2019.

I don't care for Nate Oats as a person. The way he handled the Miller situation was a joke. Would be utterly ashamed if he was UKs coach.

I would be onboard with Kelvin Sampson. But he is about to turn 70. If he was smart, he would not take on one of the most stressful jobs in American sports at the age of 70. No way I see him doing that.

I want Cal gone so badly, but man, I look around and no one gets me pumped. That's not to say they wouldn't do a better job then Cal, as they most likely would. But will they get UK back to FFs and championships, which is UKs standard. Nobody (except for Hurley or Sampson) seem like a knockout hire.

I don't think there is anyway Hurley leaves UConn (which you allude to anyways).

I don't care for Nate Oats as a person. The way he handled the Miller situation was a joke. Would be utterly ashamed if he was UKs coach.

I would be onboard with Kelvin Sampson. But he is about to turn 70. If he was smart, he would not take on one of the most stressful jobs in American sports at the age of 70. No way I see him doing that.

I want Cal gone so badly, but man, I look around and no one gets me pumped. That's not to say they wouldn't do a better job then Cal, as they most likely would. But will they get UK back to FFs and championships, which is UKs standard. Nobody (except for Hurley or Sampson) seem like a knockout hire.
Baylor's coach isn't leaving. Brad Stevens, Donovan, nope. Musssellman and Oats hates UK. No one is willing to take the job due to the backlash.

I'd love to hear one solid candidate.

I guess there's some coaches out there who'd win a couple of tournament games.Not sure they'd be up for it or the fans would back them.

I'll back who ever is coaching.

I agree that it seems like he's basically stopped trying to coach anymore. Cal is basically a brand ambassador at this point and wants to showcase as many top NBA prospects in high school as he can and then take credit for their success in the league.

Dan Hurley would be the dream home run hire. Kelvin Sampson would bring toughness and grit back to UK. Oats and Pearl would probably at least get you closer to the results that Duke and UNC are getting.

Reactions: kyjeff1
The emotional ownage to post something so idiotic ... it's going to inspire developmentally delayed young persons fornever.

Not shocked it was perceived so well my our fellow posters. 🤣🫠

what can I say, I know how to play to my base here.

And you're just projecting because @della 's win in the year long pick em clearly cements your place as the worst female poster here. Ranked#2 out of 2.

• Wow
Reactions: KisteK and MGO2022
I agree that it seems like he's basically stopped trying to coach anymore. Cal is basically a brand ambassador at this point and wants to showcase as many top NBA prospects in high school as he can and then take credit for their success in the league.

Dan Hurley would be the dream home run hire. Kelvin Sampson would bring toughness and grit back to UK. Oats and Pearl would probably at least get you closer to the results that Duke and UNC are getting.
Remember folk get fired for Elite 8 losses. It's Championship or bust for some. Heck some have said that even if Calipair won the title, they'd still want him gone.

Who's the natural replacement at UK after Cal though? Its not going to be easy to replace him with a better option.

At least Cal gives you the recruiting, what if the new guy can't even do that at a high level?

Any coach can recruit at Kentucky. There will be a drop off, sure, but I'd argue the portal makes that negligible at best.

As for natural replacement, Mark Pope could be a guy to watch. Did a decent job first year in the B12. BYU was a good team that had a terrible final game.

what can I say, I know how to play to my base here.

And you're just projecting because @della 's win in the year long pick em clearly cements your place as the worst female poster here. Ranked#2 out of 2.
Be careful DePaul, all monarch's need a good executioner and KisteK's name is in the running for that position.

• Wow
Reactions: KisteK
Any coach can recruit at Kentucky. There will be a drop off, sure, but I'd argue the portal makes that negligible at best.
Ehhh, there were plenty of lackluster classes produced by Tubby since he was a lazy recruiter and always put all his eggs in one basket and was left giving scholarships to scrubs when his top options chose to go elsewhere. Also LOL @ the guys Gillispie was getting commitments from, most weren't even good enough to play D-1.

Ehhh, there were plenty of lackluster classes produced by Tubby since he was a lazy recruiter and always put all his eggs in one basket and was left giving scholarships to scrubs when his top options chose to go elsewhere. Also LOL @ the guys Gillispie was getting commitments from.

Tubby was lazy and Gillespie was a drunk idiot. Gillespie got Patterson, and had Orton + Darius Miller in the class before he was fired iirc. So it's not like they were completely useless in that either.

Tubby was lazy and Gillespie was a drunk idiot. Gillespie got Patterson, and had Orton + Darius Miller in the class before he was fired iirc. So it's not like they were completely useless in that either.
Patterson and Miller were coming to UK no matter what and Orton sucked ass.

Reactions: cdbearde
OK, so UK's out.

dont you say that adam sandler GIF

I still believeeeeeeeeee. Cal gets redemption, wins #9, and rides off into the sunset (Orrrrrrrrrrr we might lose 1st rd to Butthole State). Either way, I'm done sulking after the disappointing end to the season and UK will have my full support next year like always.

You could throw darts at any name thrown out there, heck, Hurley has plenty of black marks and I'm sure he's said plenty of bad things at times in his career that soured some on him, nobody is perfect, so we should not be looking for Brad Stevens, because he’s not out there.

You have to roll the dice on someone and for me, that’s my list.

Sampson could certainly handle the UK job and honestly, you only want a coach to stay in that chair for 10 years anyway, we've seen what happens when they stay too long.

Pearl hasn’t done a whole lot since '19, but he's at freaking Auburn. He’s a really good coach that lives to win college basketball games.

Oats has a red flag or two, he’s a bit rough around the edges, but he is someone that does whatever it takes to win. He even hired an analytics team to go through the NCAAT with him. Our current coach refuses to even watch tape of his opponents, then blames the players when they lose.

I like the guy at Florida too, but I don't think he's ready yet.

Bottom line, Cal is a fat washed up old man that is still trying to get away with the ole pull-my-finger trick. How anyone didn’t see this years ago, is absurd to me. it has been so obvious for so long.

Remember folk get fired for Elite 8 losses. It's Championship or bust for some. Heck some have said that even if Calipair won the title, they'd still want him gone.
Yup, I said it, but I also said he'll never win another title and he won’t, it's as close to a fact as there is and he keeps proving me right.
He’s too stubborn and too hung up on the draft and he's not going to change.
His new obsession is to go with his gut and stay with it, no matter what, just on the hope that he can tell everyone he was right. Then, when he loses, he hides.
He could lose 10 games in a row, but when he wins game 11 against butthole State, oh he's all about calling out the fans and media for being wrong. He ignores all the failures and acts like he's this great Messiah.
You don't actually believe he has a title run in him, do you?

Reactions: KENTUCKY_FLYER
UK should get more Bobby Perry's who stick around for 4 years. We can watch them develop.
Or, we could get Jama Shead, Dalton Knecht, Antonio Reeves, Newton, Clingan, Edey, RJ Davis, Bacot, Davion Mintz, Darius Miller, Liggins and Patrick Patterson type players.

Just look at the teams in the FF, there's 1 freshmen that plays big minutes.

Look at the teams in each FF the last 10 years. The game is older now and there isn't enough time in one season to teach HS kids enough physicality, discipline and efficiency to win when it matters.

The best players these days are juniors and seniors.

How excited are KU fans about Kugel? Golden basically benched him at UF, and Florida looked much better with him out of the lineup/playing limited minutes.

It's mixed. Most think he has a lot of potential but don't want to see him in the starting lineup. Which I doubt will happen unless there are some unexpected losses. I think Zeke Mayo is the guard they're targeting to be their starting SG. That's what I'm hoping for. Versatile bucket-getter who also happens to be a big KU fan from Lawrence.

Half of our rotation on our first final four team in 13 years in 2011 were Gillispie recruits. We played 6 guys and Harrelson, Miller and Liggins were all Billy G kids.

Any coach can get recruits to UK. Tubby fell off a little but he also had draymond greene and 5* center kenny freese committed before he bailed for minnesota. Had Jodie Meeks, Ramel Bradley, Joe Crawford on the roster if he had come back.

No it’s not going to be like Calipari recruits but you don’t need to recruit like that to win big. See Uconn and Purdue

Half of our rotation on our first final four team in 13 years in 2011 were Gillispie recruits. We played 6 guys and Harrelson, Miller and Liggins were all Billy G kids.

Any coach can get recruits to UK. Tubby fell off a little but he also had draymond greene and 5* center kenny freese committed before he bailed for minnesota. Had Jodie Meeks, Ramel Bradley, Joe Crawford on the roster if he had come back.

No it’s not going to be like Calipari recruits but you don’t need to recruit like that to win big. See Uconn and Purdue
Since Cal took them to the Final Four, maybe along with a offense and a defense coordinator, we need someone to recruit for us as well. Calipari can just be our brand ambassador. :p

KU, Duke, and UNC will be fine.

UCLA, no clue.

Indiana is a fvcking mess and Kentucky wants to join them.

UCONN, don't see them falling off. Great shape

• Sad
Reactions: KisteK and cdbearde
Disappointing season for KU and Duke that were 1 and 2 pre season ranked and both finished as 4 seeds.
UK losing to a double digit seed in the first round.
UNC was the most surprising. Getting a 1 seed after last years NIT. But lost in the S16 after hopes of another FF run...

Behind the scenes BIll Self was pissed about this season, scoopers say he wanted to replace all starters except Hunter Dickinson . They already have Kugel from Florida from the portal. I expect for them to add Liam McNeeley and add 2 other portals names. Zeke Mayo is one to watch.

UNC I expect to get a portal big. I am interested to see if RJ Davis returns. If so what does Cadeau and Trimble do ? I don't see both Withers and Washington returning.

Duke will be interesting. I expect McCain and Flip to leave. What does Proctor do will be the key to their ceiling. I do expect a couple portal additions , a Ryan Young type to pair with Flagg.

UK is the most interesting. Does CAL hit the portal hard? If he tries what does that mean, it's been known they lack in the NIL department. Freshmen go to be a one and done. Who all leaves and stays ?

My predictions!

Kansas

Hunter Dickinson
AJ Storr
Riley Kugel
Zeke Mayo
Dejuan Harris

Bench - KJ Adams, Flory Bidunga, Liam McNeeley, portal PG, Rakease Passmore, Philon, Transfer Big

Grad/NBA - Kevin McCullar, Johnny Furphy, Parker Braun, Nick Timberlake ... Transfers Elmarko Jackson and Jamari McDowell

Kentucky

Jayden Quiantance
Adou Theiro
BJ Freeman (transfer)
Boogie Fland
DJ Wagner

Bench - Karter Knox, Jordan Burks, Joey Hart, Cyril Somto , transfer guard, transfer big, Travis Perry

NBA/Grad - Antonio Reeves, Rob Dillingham, Tre Mitchell, Reed Shephard, Ivisic, Justin Edwards... Transfer - Ugonna , Bradshaw

UNC

Transfer Center
Harrison Ingram
Drake Powell
Elliott Cadeau
RJ Davis

Bench - Ian Jackson, Jalen Withers, Zayden High , James Brown, Transfer Guard, Transfer Guard, Transfer Wing

Grad/NBA - Bacot, Wojcik, Cormac Ryan . Transfers - Jalen Washington, Seth Trimble...

DUKE

Transfer Big
Mark Mitchell
Cooper Flagg
Caleb Foster
Tyrese Proctor

Bench - Sean Stewart, Jaylen Blakes, Kon Knueppel, Isaiah Evans, Darren Harris, Transfer PG , Transfer wing...

NBA / Grad - Filipowski, McCain, Reeves, Young... Transfer - TJ Power.
Where do they go?

Right up to the top of Fart Mountain.

Justin Edwards better hope the NBA lowers the rims by 6" so he doesn't get stuffed so often.

I don't get it, Edwards, Boston, Livingston and so many others, looked like ass in college, but still left after 1 year. Just let the top 25 ranked HS kids go to the GL right out of HS.

Edwards isn’t showing up on draft boards and he shouldn't, but thanks to Klutch and the NBA first culture Cal created at UK, these dudes only come here 1 year no matter what.

I really thought there was a bright spot with Justin's struggles, I figured we would get him for a 2nd year, but nope.

I can't wait until Calipari and this culture is gone from UK. Mitch Barnhart should be fired for drawing up that ridiculously 1 sided contract and allowing this clown to turn UK into an NBA farm system. What a joke.

ADVERTISEMENT