ADVERTISEMENT

What's the single worst stereotype associated with your team/fanbase?

For a long time I had close contact with UK (1977-1985) because of my good friend Joe B. Hall. I helped when he was recruiting many good players. That was long ago before NIL because NIL (a U.S. Supreme Court ruling) allows college players to make money on their name, image and likeness.

I drove Joe B. to see Kenny Walker. I was with him during the complete recruitment. Kenny Walker went to Kentucky because it was UK, if I recall correctly he only had one more offer and that was from Georgia. Then a few years later Bob Knight wrote in his 'phantom' book (phantom because he did not write it) that UK paid Kenny Walker. I know quite well that that statement is a damned lie.

Kentucky does not need to pay players. Teams like Duke and Tennessee and Kansas and teams like those need to pay to compete with UK (Hell Duke and Kansas play home games in old relics). You go to UK and Rupp Arena is filled for the games. You go to UK and play away games in Mississippi, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi St., LSU et.al. and that will probably be the only sell out of the year for those teams. They show up because it is Kentucky.

If you go to UK every game will be on TV (Mom and and Dad get to watch their son no matter when they live). It has been that way since the 1970's. I know because I have video of all of those games. No other team has had that.

So I don't need a UVA guy to tell me that UK is good because they pay their players. UK is good because of their following and the infrastructure of the program and its coverage.

As an aside, one year I was going to the AAU tourney with Joe B. and the biggest recruit of that year was Patrick Ewing. Joe B. told me that Ewing would not play division one basketball. I ask why and he said he got his transcript and he did not qualify. Shortly after that it was announced that Ewing was going to Georgetown. He graduated in 4 years. (Georgetown is a great school and they took Ewing, i.e. they cheated academically.)

Explain that to an old dumb UK guy you smart UVA man. And also explain why Sampson went to UVA? Money?

Lol

Bullshit. Plus I don't understand what your first sentence means as it was so butchered.

I am not naive about Kentucky basketball. I am fully cognizant of most facts concerning the program based on 60 years of dedicated following.

I will guarantee you that you are not as engaged in any program as I have been with Kentucky basketball. Sorry. You have no idea.

The definition of cognizant is: knowledgeable of something especially through personal experience.
My sentence wasn’t butchered. Obviously the word “in” wasn’t intended. Anybody with more than 10 brain cells could figure out what I was saying.

As for the rest… Look, Cal was a guy who was accused of being dirty at two programs before arriving at UK. Then shows up at UK and pulls in multiple classes with several top 10 recruits. Not top 50 or even top 30. Top 10. Multiple. Every year.

All of whom would have had standing offers in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. And you think he’s clean? You truly believe that these kids, most of whom come from poverty, turned down mounds of cash because they simply liked Cal that much? I’m sorry, nobody is that good of a salesman. If you truly believe Cal and UK are clean then you might be even more deluded than Afamu. The two of you could start a club. You’d fit right in with flat earthers and those people who believe in reptilians.

As the driven snow.
what-huh.gif

My sentence wasn’t butchered. Obviously the word “in” wasn’t intended. Anybody with more than 10 brain cells could figure out what I was saying.

As for the rest… Look, Cal was a guy who was accused of being dirty at two programs before arriving at UK. Then shows up at UK and pulls in multiple classes with several top 10 recruits. Not top 50 or even top 30. Top 10. Multiple. Every year.

All of whom would have had standing offers in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. And you think he’s clean? You truly believe that these kids, most of whom come from poverty, turned down mounds of cash because they simply liked Cal that much? I’m sorry, nobody is that good of a salesman. If you truly believe Cal and UK are clean then you might be even more deluded than Afamu. The two of you could start a club. You’d fit right in with flat earthers and those people who believe in reptilians.
I do believe that Cal is far cleaner than Coach K, Self, Williams, White, Barnes and many, many others.

Even Billy Gillispie at UK had really good talent. Plus you statement that to 10 players have standing offers of "hundreds of thousands of dollars" is questionable. Who was offering them "hundreds of thousands of dollars"?

It goes back to what I stated earlier; UK is a good program in which a player can shine and get into the pros. They can shine because for decades all of their games are on TV in all markets, they get a lot of post game attention and is a magnet for good players. If you don't believe that then I don't know what to say other than you are the real flat earther and not me.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I do believe that Cal is far cleaner than Coach K, Self, Williams, White, Barnes and many, many others.

Even Billy Gillispie at UK had really good talent. Plus you statement that to 10 players have standing offers of "hundreds of thousands of dollars" is questionable. Who was offering them "hundreds of thousands of dollars"?

It goes back to what I stated earlier; UK is a good program in which a player can shine and get into the pros. They can shine because for decades all of their games are on TV in all markets, they get a lot of post game attention and is a magnet for good players. If you don't believe that then I don't know what to say other than you are the real flat earther and not me.
Cal cleaner than Barnes? Barnes is a Sunday school teacher. You are as clueless as they come.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
The undeserved stereotype that auburn only hires coaches with impeccable integrity...?...
waw weegle

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Never seen a snow drift from traffic? Its not clean at all.

Let's say all the vehicles traveling down that street, road, or highway was electric, no combustion engines. Now would the snow drifts still be dirty?

Let's say all the vehicles traveling down that street, road, or highway was electric, no combustion engines. Now would the snow drifts still be dirty?
. . . . . it depends on how you make the electricity.

These green folks are fools, pure and simple. They are dumber than rocks and I really don't want to insult rocks.

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde

Who was offering hundreds of thousands of dollars?

NIKE. Adidas. The school doesn't matter. The whole point is that these companies are/were funneling players to their schools so they'd be seen wearing their gear. And those companies funnel players to their more premier schools, because that means more exposure for the brand. Sure there are alums and/or bag men at all these schools, but it was always the apparel companies that were handing out the more lucrative deals in recent years. And don't doubt for a second that they had those offers. Hell, we've seen evidence of guys who are borderline top-70 having been offered $50K+. What do you think the going rate is for a future lottery pick?

Your reasoning for why UK doesn't have to pay players is not a good one. A player can shine and get into the pros? Dude, a player can shine at KU or Duke or UNC and get into the pros. UK is not unique there. They're all on tv all the time. If a player has the talent he's going to get as much exposure at any of the elite schools. Have you honestly deluded yourself that UK is so awesome that they can get a guy so much more exposure that they're willing to turn down money now? I'm sorry, but no. A top 10 player typically already knows he's going to make money at the next level. And it's going to happen regardless of where he goes really. Why not make money now too? Very very few college kids are going to turn down the chance to have $100K+ in their bank account and drive around luxury cars simply because they like a coach or school. Exposure? Sure that may be why a guy turns down a $60K deal at a mid-tier school for a comparable offer at an elite school, but no kid is turning down a fat deal to go play for free. Not unless that kid literally grew up bleeding blue. I'd believe it of Wayne Simien maybe. Or some kid who grew up in Lexington cheering for UK his entire life, but not your average high school kid. Nope.

And I do know something about your players. They haven't been driving around in Toyotas Corollas. Where do you think they get the money for those cars. Sure, maybe in the 80s and 90s they might have been somewhat clean. Back then it depended more on alumns and how good they were at slipping money under the table without getting caught. Back then you might have seen players driving around in shit cars. I certainly remember Scott Pollard pulling up to basketball camp as a kid, driving a rusty Honda Civic. Back then stuff went on, but it wasn't as prominent or as vast. They might have only taken the risk with the very top recruits. But once these schools started signing these big apparel deals, NIKE and Adidas and other companies saw the benefit of having elite talent and teams wearing their brand. And since they couldn't endorse the kids directly in the open, they started competing with each other to endorse kids off the record. That's when the big money was brought in. These players suddenly had access to endless corporate money, and the game went from being kinda dirty to being outright filthy. Scott Pollard may have been driving a rusty Honda Civic, but by the time Kirk Hinrich and Drew Gooden were playing, they were driving around in style.

And it happens in other sports at other levels/tiers too. Before I went to KU, my next door neighbor was a backup runningback for K-State in the early 00s. Dude had an $8K leather couch and a $10K stereo system, among other nice things. He wasn't shy talking about where he got that money. A friend of mine played for Wooldridge at KState, and got a check...not a big one, but he got a check. And he played for a team that never even made the NCAA tourney. He wasn't even a top 100 recruit. So when you say that UK is/was clean, I'm sorry, but I just can't help but laugh. You actually believe that the guy who tried to trademark his eyebrows decided to turn down big money to play at UK for free. That is top shelf delusion. I tell you what. If you truly think that UK is so great, then why don't you talk to the admin and ask them to scrap their NIL program? Obviously they don't need it. I mean...people are predicting Dickinson to UK(or were) because UK had deeper NIL pockets, but that can't be right, because money isn't needed to convince players to go to UK. Just tell them how awesome UK is and how much fun they'll have playing for free!!

Last edited:
Who was offering hundreds of thousands of dollars?

NIKE. Adidas. The school doesn't matter. The whole point is that these companies are/were funneling players to their schools so they'd be seen wearing their gear. And those companies funnel players to their more premier schools, because that means more exposure for the brand. Sure there are alums and/or bag men at all these schools, but it was always the apparel companies that were handing out the more lucrative deals in recent years. And don't doubt for a second that they had those offers. Hell, we've seen evidence of guys who are borderline top-70 having been offered $50K+. What do you think the going rate is for a future lottery pick?

Your reasoning for why UK doesn't have to pay players is not a good one. A player can shine and get into the pros? Dude, a player can shine at KU or Duke or UNC and get into the pros. UK is not unique there. They're all on tv all the time. If a player has the talent he's going to get as much exposure at any of the elite schools. Have you honestly deluded yourself that UK is so awesome that they can get a guy so much more exposure that they're willing to turn down money now? I'm sorry, but no. A top 10 player typically already knows he's going to make money at the next level. And it's going to happen regardless of where he goes really. Why not make money now too? Very very few college kids are going to turn down the chance to have $100K+ in their bank account and drive around luxury cars simply because they like a coach or school. Exposure? Sure that may be why a guy turns down a $60K deal at a mid-tier school for a comparable offer at an elite school, but no kid is turning down a fat deal to go play for free. Not unless that kid literally grew up bleeding blue. I'd believe it of Wayne Simien maybe. Or some kid who grew up in Lexington cheering for UK his entire life, but not your average high school kid. Nope.

And I do know something about your players. They haven't been driving around in Toyotas Corollas. Where do you think they get the money for those cars. Sure, maybe in the 80s and 90s they might have been somewhat clean. Back then it depended more on alumns and how good they were at slipping money under the table without getting caught. Back then you might have seen players driving around in shit cars. I certainly remember Scott Pollard pulling up to basketball camp as a kid, driving a rusty Honda Civic. Back then stuff went on, but it wasn't as prominent or as vast. They might have only taken the risk with the very top recruits. But once these schools started signing these big apparel deals, NIKE and Adidas and other companies saw the benefit of having elite talent and teams wearing their brand. And since they couldn't endorse the kids directly in the open, they started competing with each other to endorse kids off the record. That's when the big money was brought in. These players suddenly had access to endless corporate money, and the game went from being kinda dirty to being outright filthy. Scott Pollard may have been driving a rusty Honda Civic, but by the time Kirk Hinrich and Drew Gooden were playing, they were driving around in style.

And it happens in other sports at other levels/tiers too. Before I went to KU, my next door neighbor was a backup runningback for K-State in the early 00s. Dude had an $8K leather couch and a $10K stereo system, among other nice things. He wasn't shy talking about where he got that money. A friend of mine played for Wooldridge at KState, and got a check...not a big one, but he got a check. And he played for a team that never even made the NCAA tourney. He wasn't even a top 100 recruit. So when you say that UK is/was clean, I'm sorry, but I just can't help but laugh. You actually believe that the guy who tried to trademark his eyebrows decided to turn down big money to play at UK for free. That is top shelf delusion. I tell you what. If you truly think that UK is so great, then why don't you talk to the admin and ask them to scrap their NIL program? Obviously they don't need it. I mean...people are predicting Dickinson to UK(or were) because UK had deeper NIL pockets, but that can't be right, because money isn't needed to convince players to go to UK. Just tell them how awesome UK is and how much fun they'll have playing for free!!
Bert's gonna have a glass of warm milk and fall asleep before he gets through the second paragraph of this manifesto.

Bert's gonna have a glass of warm milk and fall asleep before he gets through the second paragraph of this manifesto.
I do tend to write a lot. But he’s deluded if he thinks these guys would turn down good money to play for UK for free.

Reactions: Deepelm
I do tend to write a lot. But he’s deluded if he thinks these guys would turn down good money to play for UK for free.
What is so remarkable is that I did not say that. Plus NIL has totally changed the calculus.

I should have not responded to start with. UK has a horrible program and I bow down to the wonderful KU, Duke and UNC programs. Those schools set the standard and UK just tries to get by in a horribly weak conference.

What is so remarkable is that I did not say that. Plus NIL has totally changed the calculus.

I should have not responded to start with. UK has a horrible program and I bow down to the wonderful KU, Duke and UNC programs. Those schools set the standard and UK just tries to get by in a horribly weak conference.
I never said anything bad about UK. It’s one of if not the greatest program of all time.

Just saying you aren’t any less dirty than the rest of us.

ADVERTISEMENT