ADVERTISEMENT

What Level Of Gentlemanliness(?) Do You Treat Your Girl/Wife/Life Partner to?

KYtotheCore

Jan 5, 2010
Anytown, USA
Holding doors open? Open/closing car door? Pulling chair out for them? Where should it start and where does it end?

I'll open a door for the wife. Bring her back a drink when I'm on my way to get one. Little else. She's kind of independent. What about you?

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Most of those above I do. I don’t really pull out her chair for her but I’ll wait till she picks what chair she wants & is seated 1st before I sit.
I’ll only open the car door for her if it’s raining but usually I’ll drive the car to her so she don’t have to walk to it.
Women are our queens & she should be treated like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: KisteK
After 52 years I still serve her. She is my sweetheart.

I don't open the door because I am too damned slow, but I fix about 50% of the meals, do 50% of the house work, do all the lawn work and always treat he like a lady.

I am old school and I am in love.
Will you write a book?

After 52 years I still serve her. She is my sweetheart.

I don't open the door because I am too damned slow, but I fix about 50% of the meals, do 50% of the house work, do all the lawn work and always treat he like a lady.

I am old school and I am in love.
I hope she takes 50% of her teeth out for you on the reg. You earned it.

I moved from Indiana to Louisiana out of college with my wife (then fiance). I had an older gentleman I worked with tell me that in the south, a gentleman will always walk on the sidewalk nearest the road when walking with a woman. That conversation stuck with me and I've done it ever since.

I am a very direct , sarcastic , and forthright person. I also look at things very black and white. So sometimes that drives her crazy because she is the gentle , thoughtful , more compassionate one of us. But she understands it's me and I will never do anything to try and hurt her. I try to always think of our best interest collectively with anything I do.

I've never really adhered to the 'treat her like a princess/queen' adages. Obviously, this doesn't mean I treat my wife like crap, but I don't go out of my way everyday to make her feel like a special peacock. I hold the door open for her if I happen to get to it first. If she gets to it first, she holds it open for me. I do the laundry and the dishes, she cleans. If the dishes have been sitting in the sink for a little while and she starts washing them, I don't jump up to stop her. If we're going out some place and it's raining, I'll drop her off at the door if I think of it. I can be pretty absent minded with stuff like that, so if she doesn't ask me to drop her off and I'm not thinking about it, we're both getting wet. Basically, I treat her like an equal and she does the same.

Last edited:
It really all depends on variables like if dinner is cold or if the laundry isn't done or if the lawn isn't mowed or if I'm getting enough BJ's or if she makes eye contact with other men or if she shows her teeth in public or if she tries to order he own meal at a restaurant.

All that said, there's still plenty of nights where I don't even hit her at all.

It really all depends on variables like if dinner is cold or if the laundry isn't done or if the lawn isn't mowed or if I'm getting enough BJ's or if she makes eye contact with other men or if she shows her teeth in public or if she tries to order he own meal at a restaurant.

All that said, there's still plenty of nights where I don't even hit her at all.
cjones10172017.jpg

"what I meant to say was honey, can you please pass the salt, but what came out was, BITCH....you ruined my f%cking life.

I've never really adhered to the 'treat her like a princess/queen' adages. Obviously, this doesn't mean I treat my wife like crap, but I don't go out of my way everyday to make her feel like a special peacock. I hold the door open for her if I happen to get to it first. If she gets to it first, she holds it open for me. I do the laundry and the dishes, she cleans. If the dishes have been sitting in the sink for a little while and she starts washing them, I don't jump up to stop her. If we're going out some place and it's raining, I'll drop her off at the door if I think of it. I can be pretty absent minded with stuff like that, so if she doesn't ask me to drop her off and I'm not thinking about it, we're both getting wet. Basically, I treat her like an equal and she does the same.
Brooky, I bet that you are better than that. You are just being humble. SmokinSmile

I moved from Indiana to Louisiana out of college with my wife (then fiance). I had an older gentleman I worked with tell me that in the south, a gentleman will always walk on the sidewalk nearest the road when walking with a woman. That conversation stuck with me and I've done it ever since.
I have heard the same thing. I was told it was so if a car passed by and splashed water, the man would shield the woman from getting wet. I always walk between the road and my wife. Just habit I guess. And yes, I was raised in the south.

Reactions: treyforuk
I have heard the same thing. I was told it was so if a car passed by and splashed water, the man would shield the woman from getting wet. I always walk between the road and my wife. Just habit I guess. And yes, I was raised in the south.

I think it's road side during the day, and building side at night to protect from alley attackers.

I think originally it was b/c people dumped chamber pots out of upstairs windows aiming for the street and the closer you were to the building, the more protected you were from splash back and short hops.

I'll open a door for the wife. Bring her back a drink when I'm on my way to get one. Little else. She's kind of independent. What about you?
Respecting independence and competence is a more substantial form of treating someone well than patronizingly pampering them. And of course, trust, communication, and cooperation ensure that small kindnesses aren't going to be taken as condescending.

On the rare occasion we get out w/ no kids, like an actual date, I'll open the car door for her, but it's more flirtatious than old school chivalry.

Along those lines aren't you supposed to let a lady go up the stairs first and the man lead when going down the stairs.

ADVERTISEMENT