ADVERTISEMENT

What’s your most exotic animal sighting in real life?

No, he’s right.

A grizzly will maul you some, but may let you go if your passive and cover up. Black bears are much more likely to go for the kill. They are more shy though and given a chance will avoid you.
Maybe you two aren’t understanding what I’m saying. If both are absolutely set on killing you, the bigger bear will do so much easier.

A huge hairy beaver.

I once got smacked in the leg in a creek by the tail of a beaver. Like, a real beaver. Not the fun kind.

Not sure about the coolest I've seen. I've seen Bald Eagles around here. Plenty of hawks and owls. I think owls are fascinating. I caught two black widows at our school and one of them perfectly matched the Australian version but think that is pretty much impossible.

I saw it briefly, wild Asian elephant in the Thai and Cambodian border. Then wild Asian tiger in about an hour later. We bolted too fast to get a full view of it. Wild Irradia (Spelling) Dolphin in the Mekong. Then some giant Millipede and Centipedes...

The stuff we ate are wilder than the one we saw. A good topic is the most exotic food you have eaten.

Andrew Zimmers and Anthony Bourdain aint never eat the stuffs I have eaten.

Few weeks ago a fox was trotting by my house. Looked like.the hack cat from Bloom county....i miss that comic strip.

Reactions: TheDude1
I was in Grandfather Mountain, NC in November. Did some cold river trout fishing and caught some huge rainbows. It was really beautiful up there. Went to the local grocer to get some supplies - we were going to do smores for the kids later that evening. It was just past getting dark time, but not fully dark. I was in the parking lot of the store, when I saw a black dog run right in front of me. But it was huge. And it wasn't a dog. It was a black bear. It jumped up in a tree. It was awesome, as I'd never seen one that close.

I sat in the car with the headlights on it, just watching it; up and down the tree, running to the tree beside it then back. Two older ladies walked past my car, with cameras, talking about how cute it was. I yelled to them, that's a fu&$ing bear people, get out of there. They then realized what they were doing and walked back the over way.

People are stupid.

Reactions: WojoRising
I was in Grandfather Mountain, NC in November. Did some cold river trout fishing and caught some huge rainbows. It was really beautiful up there. Went to the local grocer to get some supplies - we were going to do smores for the kids later that evening. It was just past getting dark time, but not fully dark. I was in the parking lot of the store, when I saw a black dog run right in front of me. But it was huge. And it wasn't a dog. It was a black bear. It jumped up in a tree. It was awesome, as I'd never seen one that close.

I sat in the car with the headlights on it, just watching it; up and down the tree, running to the tree beside it then back. Two older ladies walked past my car, with cameras, talking about how cute it was. I yelled to them, that's a fu&$ing bear people, get out of there. They then realized what they were doing and walked back the over way.

People are stupid.
I absorbed none of this because I’m now consumed with a desire for s’mores

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
Fully mature male Moose, out in the middle of nowhere Colorado around 11k feet. Came around a switchback on the trail and there he was. Absolutely huge, I’ve never seen an animal that big. Antlers were probably 7-10 feet across. I swear he was the size of a small bus. We made eye contact for about 30 seconds as I slowly backed up. I’m not ashamed to admit, I pee’d a little bit. Scary as hell.

Fully mature male Moose, out in the middle of nowhere Colorado around 11k feet. Came around a switchback on the trail and there he was. Absolutely huge, I’ve never seen an animal that big. Antlers were probably 7-10 feet across. I swear he was the size of a small bus. We made eye contact for about 30 seconds as I slowly backed up. I’m not ashamed to admit, I pee’d a little bit. Scary as hell.
Did you eat it?

Did you eat it?
giphy.gif

Passed out in my bag by the campfire, pre-dawn two young coyotes got curious with our camp, literally sniffing around the foot of both my and another friend's occupied sleeping bags.
One of those moments where you don't realize you're holding your breath. Lol

Was attacked by a mound of fire ants at Cozumel. More than 60 stings.
I carried them to their salty deaths, tho.. jerks.
May have been a quick dance of panic here..

Reactions: JimboBBN
Passed out in my bag by the campfire, pre-dawn two young coyotes got curious with our camp, literally sniffing around the foot of both my and another friend's occupied sleeping bags.
One of those moments where you don't realize you're holding your breath. Lol

Was attacked by a mound of fire ants at Cozumel. More than 60 stings.
I carried them to their salty deaths, tho.. jerks.
May have been a quick dance of panic here..

Coyotes are small. Kick the SOABs next time.

Not lying 100% truth we had exotic pets growing up. From ostrichs to monkeys. Yes it was crazy. We had rheas, emus, horses, and a spitting llama.

From wiki:

“The number of black bear attacks on humans is higher than those of brown bears, though this is largely because the black species outnumbers the brown rather than their being more aggressive. Compared to brown bear attacks, violent encounters with black bears rarely lead to serious injury and death. However, the majority of black bear attacks tend to be motivated by hunger rather than territoriality, and thus victims have a higher probability of surviving by fighting back rather than submitting. Unlike grizzlies, female black bears do not display the same level of protectiveness to their cubs, and will seldom attack humans in their vicinity.”

Compared to brown bears, violent encounters with black bears rarely lead to serious injury or death.

@sdave @bkingUK @JimboBBN

Oh! My brother-in-law loves to buy exotic animals. One day, while stepping out of the house, a buffalo races across my yard after jumping a six foot fence. Llamas are everywhere, as are peacocks, exotic chickens, long horns, wild horses, goats, sheep etc.

I was a nerdy teenager, so by the age of 15, I had an iguana that ended up being ~4 long, a caiman who grew to about the same length, African frogs, and snakehead fish.

I had three 85 gallon tanks in my bedroom. The iguana outgrew hers (I knew it was a female when it laid, then ate, eggs), and ended up roaming the room freely. Believe it or not, but you can paper train an iguana. The caiman became too dangerous to let loose so I gave it to someone else.

I lived in the country so I would feed the iguana dandelions and store bought salads (if you feed iguanas any type of protein they become aggressive), the caiman ate frogs and basically any small meat I could trap, and the frogs loved mealworms and earthworms.

As far as out in the wild, not much. Deer, skunks, possums, armadillo, etc.

Last edited:
Coyotes are small. Kick the SOABs next time.

Had I been standing there wouldn't have been any problem. But, I was all up in a bag.. and it was first light. But they were very small. Was more concerned there may have been a few more there that I couldn't see, but there was not. Not so much scary, just a Woah! moment.

Since coyotes were brought up....

waynes-world-ending.gif

I was nightwatching for a coal company sometime ago. They were preparing for a highwall miner. To get there you literally turned off the actual road and drove about 3 miles in the middle of nowhere. Cars could make it the first 2 miles but not the last mile, it was 4wd only.

I was sitting in my truck when a fawn came flying past. I stepped out of the vehicle to see where it ran, but it was gone. I could only hear it in the distance. It was that moment I realized that maybe I should see what it was running from. I turned around to see a coyote standing at the rear of my truck(8-10 ft away). It wasn't doing anything, just watching.

It seemed like we stared at each other for a while but it was only a couple seconds. It slowly started backing away before turning to walk off. Then I heard leaves rustle about 20 foot behind it in the hills. There was another coyote. Then I noticed another one about 15 foot to my right and another about 30 foot to my left.

They all just casually turned and walked away. It was that moment I realized they were not afraid of me and were likely sizing me up since I interrupted their hunt. I had a gun on me, but didn't shoot. This was before the coyote population got so out of hand here in KY, but I could have took one or two down.

(for the gun guys I had a Para Ordnance P-16 .40 cal with 2(34+1 rounds) mags of hollow points)

anigif_enhanced-buzz-23000-1371138428-19.gif

TLDR; Was surrounded by coyotes and had to shoot my way out to survive.

My house backs up to some land that used to be farms. There's about four really big open fields with some patches of woods. You will see anything from fox, possums, racoons, deer to black bear and coyotes. There have been a few cats from the neighborhood snagged up by the coyotes so a few people go back during the late afternoon to kill the coyotes, but I have only known of one actually being killed. There are also rattlesnakes and copperheads that you often see by the creek. I caught a pygmy rattlesnake on my back deck last summer. Sometimes I feel like I live where Old Yeller was filmed, but hardly outside of town.

Since coyotes were brought up....

waynes-world-ending.gif

I was nightwatching for a coal company sometime ago. They were preparing for a highwall miner. To get there you literally turned off the actual road and drove about 3 miles in the middle of nowhere. Cars could make it the first 2 miles but not the last mile, it was 4wd only.

I was sitting in my truck when a fawn came flying past. I stepped out of the vehicle to see where it ran, but it was gone. I could only hear it in the distance. It was that moment I realized that maybe I should see what it was running from. I turned around to see a coyote standing at the rear of my truck(8-10 ft away). It wasn't doing anything, just watching.

It seemed like we stared at each other for a while but it was only a couple seconds. It slowly started backing away before turning to walk off. Then I heard leaves rustle about 20 foot behind it in the hills. There was another coyote. Then I noticed another one about 15 foot to my right and another about 30 foot to my left.

They all just casually turned and walked away. It was that moment I realized they were not afraid of me and were likely sizing me up since I interrupted their hunt. I had a gun on me, but didn't shoot. This was before the coyote population got so out of hand here in KY, but I could have took one or two down.

(for the gun guys I had a Para Ordnance P-16 .40 cal with 2(34+1 rounds) mags of hollow points)

anigif_enhanced-buzz-23000-1371138428-19.gif

TLDR; Was surrounded by coyotes and had to shoot my way out to survive.

Heh. I had a great coyote moment. Was out in Washington State at a buddy's vacation house. Now its in the middle of nowhere, several hundred acres of land that are basically this HUGE bowl, with the house in the bottom middle and mountains on all sides. So I'm sitting on the porch. Its like... 1, 2 AM? And I'm smoking newly-legal-in-Washington weed. Really, really, really good newly-legal-in-Washington weed. And I was HIGH. I mean, like... seeing shit high. Like "Look how big the universe is... I can see all the stars!" high. Like... high. And everyone else is asleep.

Suddenly I hear this noise... its like... I dont know, like all of the devils in hell have been let loose. And its EVERYWHERE. Like... ALL around me, around the house, in the fields around the house, behind the house, next to me on the porch... EVERY****INGWHERE. Here; its this:

But, like, times a million.

I was out of my damn rocking chair and back in the house in AAABBBOOUT two seconds. Holy hell, I thought I was about to die.

After a few seconds, I realized A) it was a big coyote pack, and B) the bowl-shape of the property was acting as like the worlds biggest echo chamber, which is why it sounded like about a half million of them and they were sitting next to me.

Then I was amused. But for about four seconds, my high ass thought that Judgement Day had come.

Hear coyotes all the time on the outskirts of Louisville, seen a few at my grandparent's farm. Never got why some people were so scared of them, they are tiny things.

ADVERTISEMENT